ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

They can talk to guys if those guys call the coaches.
What are the rules for NIL guys? It's seems like the Wild West out there, and some groups are more aggressive than others pushing NIL. The NCAA is nearly dead (good thing) but there needs to be something in place to police outside influences. We've swung the pendulum too far the other way I fear. This will bite sports when one of these purchased athletes point shaves as a return favor. It will happen. Human nature and money are a bad mix. We always close the barn door after the fact.

I thought Michigan only bought three-time AAs in the portal. The round of 12 is the best he's done in four tries.

Pickings must be a bit thin this year.

Reactions: sabula
hey at least people are saying it about a team other than Iowa this offseason
Oh the Hawks are still playing the game, but Michigan is just on a completely different level right now and they DGAF if it is legit or not, or who knows about it

Reactions: goldenanimal
Michigan has proven that its RTC will support those that want to wrestle internationally for other countries. Gomez for Mexico, Micic for Serbia, the Amine’s, etc. I’m assuming that played into Saldate decision.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing USA wrestling pull their funding from that RTC if they’re not going to wrestle for USA.

I think there's so much questionable stuff going on and the NCAA doesn't have the manpower to investigate everything, so pretty much anything goes.
Yea, when your rules compliance basically requires you to self police and self report, I would say some teams take advantage of that. Shocker, there hasn't been a lot of self reporting going on.

Guys don't typically come back on top of their game after a 2 year layoff anyway. Nobody should be looking to Jesuroga as a major impact in the future.
Tell that to Brock Hardy and other guys who took Morman missions to come back and do quite well. The kid has been in the Navy. It's not like he's in the bars and sleep eating chips on the couch.

Would be a bit of A-nother KICK in the BALLS if Nate comes back and IOWA "loses" him again!!!As was said, his brother leaving does not make you feel good about landing him!!!

As for time off, how will he do etc..... I would certainly take my chances and like my chances with a kid that was at his level!!!

TnT and company have to leave NO stone unturned as they say! If Brody G gets a year from the POS BS NCAA, and wants to come back. You gotta take a look!!!!! We are at DefCon RED!!!

Question - I don't know this, that's why I am asking. Please don't attack me....

Was Joel Jesuroga, Carter Martinson, Carson Martinson and Bretli Reyna getting much (or any) scholarship money? If so, do you think these they left on their own accord or is it possible the Coaches are clearing $$ to bring in some transfers? I wouldn't normally think Tom would cut-out anyone but in this new age of NIL you never know...

Last edited:
Would be a bit of A-nother KICK in the BALLS if Nate comes back and IOWA "loses" him again!!!As was said, his brother leaving does not make you feel good about landing him!!!
Pretty sure the military branches don’t partake in the portal

Iowa needs guys competing for the top half of podium at each weight. We get too attached to our guys with the bottom half of the podium as a realistic ceiling.
Not sure if we get too attached to guys on the bottom half of the podium or just struggle to consistently get guys who can make it to the top half. Either way, hoping we can get/do better.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
Tommy Askey from App st just entered the portal. Will probably be the preseason #5 at 157

I would love to see this kid in the black and gold singlet. He flat took it to chittum first round at ncaas and looked fantastic. The one thing I hate about the portal however is the loss App.state has to take. They got solid guys every year and I hate to see smaller programs whom have good coaches out working their tail off to find these kids then lose them a year or two later. I really hope in the near future some rules of some sort tighten down when a kid can move and the number of times in a career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT