ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

IronyIowa should offer to payoff his student loans, in return for wrestling a season.

Animated GIF

Could he make 149 and be effective??
I doubt he's going to take anyone's offer to cut to 149. He maintained about 160 all season so that he could be the backup at 157, 165, and 174, but wrestled mostly 174. For Iowa, he could slot in at 157 if neither PK nor Caliendo can make that cut (and yes, he is significantly better than Fredo, LOL), but he'll have plenty of offers to wrestle at his optimal weight that he won't have to consider somewhere that would demand a harsh cut.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
I doubt he's going to take anyone's offer to cut to 149. He maintained about 160 all season so that he could be the backup at 157, 165, and 174, but wrestled mostly 174. For Iowa, he could slot in at 157 if neither PK nor Caliendo can make that cut (and yes, he is significantly better than Fredo, LOL), but he'll have plenty of offers to wrestle at his optimal weight that he won't have to consider somewhere that would demand a harsh cut.
I was seeing he's looking at Grad school, so maybe he wants a two fer. Supposedly he applied to PSU, ASU, and BYU for grad school. Of course he could still apply to other schools. They said he has a 4.0 in bioengineering.

Reactions: el dub
Huge get for someone. Too bad there’s hammers like that sitting at psu just to be there. Sure they’re being compensated decently well
While there are hammers who are coming to PSU without any clear path to starting (e.g. Henckel), Barraclough is someone who achieved hammer status while at PSU. He was a career room guy when he got there (or at least what constitutes a "room guy" for a D1 B1G program which means he was a multi-time state champ, just not in PA...). He's gotten leaps and bounds better every year just from training with the best day in and day out for 5 years, and it was only this year that he started to get the results that made you think "damn, he could be an AA somewhere else". In both of the two prior years, he was given a shot to grab the starting spot at 157 and both times, Cael eventually replaced him (once with Berge portaling back and once by pulling Haines's RS). Unfortunately (for him), this year he was backing up three guys who were all finalists/champs so there was nowhere for him to get in the lineup full time.

I was seeing he's looking at Grad school, so maybe he wants a two fer. Supposedly he applied to PSU, ASU, and BYU for grad school. Of course he could still apply to other schools. They said he has a 4.0 in bioengineering.
Yeah, I do think his grad school degree is going to weigh on his decision as well. Stanford, Duke, Michigan, and ASU all have top grad programs (among wrestling schools), so if he goes to one of these places, academics may have played a factor in the decision.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Yeah, I do think his grad school degree is going to weigh on his decision as well. Stanford, Duke, Michigan, and ASU all have top grad programs (among wrestling schools), so if he goes to one of these places, academics may have played a factor in the decision.
The PSU board was talking those type of schools, I think they mentioned Michigan and NW.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Then Michigan it is, who has become portal U. Surprised they are getting as good of recruits as they are , considering they have shown they are willing to spend the money to almost rebuild an entire team each year with 1-2 yr guys from the portal.
Possibly, he's a talented wrestler and a smart kid. I'd rather him go somewhere else than Michigan. I've never been a fan of them.

Reactions: Libertylover
Possibly, he's a talented wrestler and a smart kid. I'd rather him go somewhere else than Michigan. I've never been a fan of them.
On the PSU board they're saying it depends on which grad program he chooses between ASU, PSU, and BYU. He had to enter the portal before the deadline in case he chooses ASU and wants to wrestle. If he chooses BYU, his career will be over.

On the PSU board they're saying it depends on which grad program he chooses between ASU, PSU, and BYU. He had to enter the portal before the deadline in case he chooses ASU and wants to wrestle. If he chooses BYU, his career will be over.
Yep, I didn't recall all of the details.

While there are hammers who are coming to PSU without any clear path to starting (e.g. Henckel), Barraclough is someone who achieved hammer status while at PSU. He was a career room guy when he got there (or at least what constitutes a "room guy" for a D1 B1G program which means he was a multi-time state champ, just not in PA...). He's gotten leaps and bounds better every year just from training with the best day in and day out for 5 years, and it was only this year that he started to get the results that made you think "damn, he could be an AA somewhere else". In both of the two prior years, he was given a shot to grab the starting spot at 157 and both times, Cael eventually replaced him (once with Berge portaling back and once by pulling Haines's RS). Unfortunately (for him), this year he was backing up three guys who were all finalists/champs so there was nowhere for him to get in the lineup full time.
"hammer" is a very strong word here

barraclough is a great story...but he had 2 wins against qualifiers last year...those 2 qualifiers won 3 total matches at ncaa's this year (1 in the winners bracket, 2 in the consis)

i'll take PK, gabe or cali over him without hesitation

Huge get for someone. Too bad there’s hammers like that sitting at psu just to be there. Sure they’re being compensated decently well
He has been at PSU for 5 years and his best career wins in folkstyle are Jackson Turley, Caleb Fish, and Derek Gilcher. He’s wrestled some tough guys close, but hasn’t gotten takedowns in any of those matches. Good defensive wrestler that is limited offensively, and is a borderline AA. Not exactly a game changer.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
"hammer" is a very strong word here

barraclough is a great story...but he had 2 wins against qualifiers last year...those 2 qualifiers won 3 total matches at ncaa's this year (1 in the winners bracket, 2 in the consis)

i'll take PK, gabe or cali over him without hesitation
If he's going somewhere for wrestling (i.e. not primarily for academics), he's not going to go somewhere where he doesn't have a clear path to a starting spot, so the only way Iowa would be a consideration is if Brands told him neither PK nor Caliendo will be able to make the cut to 157 so the spot is his. He won't portal in to compete with them. I agree it's definitely not a given he could beat them out.

This would seem to rule out Michigan, at least purely for wrestling. They just acquired Saldate for 157, and have Mantanona and Amine in 165 and 174. I get that he just barely lost to Griffith while giving up 15 lbs (and was the better wrestler in that match), but again, I don't see him going somewhere for wrestling and choosing a school that has stiff competition for a spot at his weights (although Michigan might be on his list for academic reasons if he's not as concerned about wrestling).

Reactions: goldenanimal
He has been at PSU for 5 years and his best career wins in folkstyle are Jackson Turley, Caleb Fish, and Derek Gilcher. He’s wrestled some tough guys close, but hasn’t gotten takedowns in any of those matches. Good defensive wrestler that is limited offensively, and is a borderline AA. Not exactly a game changer.
By the eye test, he's improved dramatically each year for the last 3 years, and this past year is the first time where he got people to stand up and look at him as a possible AA. In particular, he wrestled the Turley and Griffith matches at 174 after weighing in at 160 or 161 (so giving up close to 15 lbs each time). He looked the part of an AA in those matches. In the previous two seasons, he was given a chance to take hold of the 157 starting spot and was replaced both times. It's deceiving to evaluate him on results prior to this past season.

By the eye test, he's improved dramatically each year for the last 3 years, and this past year is the first time where he got people to stand up and look at him as a possible AA. In particular, he wrestled the Turley and Griffith matches at 174 after weighing in at 160 or 161 (so giving up close to 15 lbs each time). He looked the part of an AA in those matches. In the previous two seasons, he was given a chance to take hold of the 157 starting spot and was replaced both times. It's deceiving to evaluate him on results prior to this past season.
Tells me his best weight is 165 if he hits the weight room.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Using wrestling to leverage his way into a top grad school?
It could happen, I know PSU goes to bat for their kids. Bartlett's dad told us that Cael had a few graduates talk to them at a recruiting visit. They were room guys and all did well in post graduate school or were going to great schools like University Of Chicago or NW.

Beau's dad was big on education and he lovingly described his kid as a big nerd so he wanted to get the best possible education for his son. The grads all spoke well about the program and their academic experience at PSU.

Prior to that I think he said they were leaning towards an Ivy League school. Mr. Bartlett was in the Marine Corps and wrestled there and was hoping wrestling would Beau a great education. It was funny when they made an offer , Sanderson said they could give him a 1/2 ride because they like to spread the scholarships around. He kind of laughed and said that He could handle the rest. His son was at Wyoming Seminary and the PSU bill would be a bit less than what WS would cost.

I think a good room guy like Barraclough would get some nice words from Cael if he needed a reference for a school.

Reactions: hlstone
I am hearing it could also be Okie State

157 - Barraclough
165 - Fish
174 - Hamiti
184 - Plott
197 - Carroll
Hwt - Hendrickson

There is zero chance that Barraclough goes to Oklahoma State for grad school. He's a very, very serious student and is likely pursuing an MS/PhD. When last I checked they were somewhere near the 200th best National University in USNWR.

Also, if the USAF approves Hendrickson going to Oklahoma State for a single year of grad school, while being paid as a commissioned officer, whoever approves that needs to be fired. That's embarrassing. Michigan? Actually makes sense from a benefitting-the-service perspective. I know people like to call Michigan Transfer U, but in the case of a USAFA grad, he literally can't stay at his undergrad school.

There is zero chance that Barraclough goes to Oklahoma State for grad school. He's a very, very serious student and is likely pursuing an MS/PhD. When last I checked they were somewhere near the 200th best National University in USNWR.

Also, if the USAF approves Hendrickson going to Oklahoma State for a single year of grad school, while being paid as a commissioned officer, whoever approves that needs to be fired. That's embarrassing. Michigan? Actually makes sense from a benefitting-the-service perspective. I know people like to call Michigan Transfer U, but in the case of a USAFA grad, he literally can't stay at his undergrad school.
My understanding is that his government pay would be suspended during that time. This is why he would be able to accept NIL and the like...

Reactions: el dub and js8793
My understanding is that his government pay would be suspended during that time. This is why he would be able to accept NIL and the like...

Yes, but the delay in his service, regardless of pay, would have to be for a reason that benefits the USAF.

Sorry, but taking classes at Oklahoma State after graduating from USAFA is not meeting that bar.

I would much rather have him transfer to Iowa than Oklahoma State.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Yes, but the delay in his service, regardless of pay, would have to be for a reason that benefits the USAF.

Sorry, but taking classes at Oklahoma State after graduating from USAFA is not meeting that bar.
Maybe they think his possibly winning a NCAA title meets that bar?

Reactions: js8793
I have an ex-wrestler that is also graduating from the AF Academy this year (non-athlete at the academy, but a top student). He will be going on to pilot school, but first he will be attending Purdue in the Fall to complete a masters degree. I know he had to choose from Purdue, Georgia Tech, or an AF program in Dayton, OH. I am sure Hendrickson may have a different set of rules than this young man, but I would have to agree that whatever school he attends it should have to benefit the Air Force in some way.

USNWR is a rough metric. Some schools have mediocre undergrad programs, but have very strong graduate schools in particular subject areas. This is a pretty ridiculous take without doing a much much deeper dive.

Last edited:

I would much rather have him transfer to Iowa than Oklahoma State.
lighten up francis.

he's got his whole life to serve and one more year to wrestle in college.

lighten up francis.

he's got his whole life to serve and one more year to wrestle in college.

And the point is, he signed on the dotted line with the USAF.

Unless there is a compelling government/armed service interest in sending him to the illustrious Oklahoma State to pursue his graduate education, they should not be approving this.

• Wow
Reactions: wrestlecrazy
And the point is, he signed on the dotted line with the USAF.

Unless there is a compelling government/armed service interest in sending him to the illustrious Oklahoma State to pursue his graduate education, they should not be approving this.
lmao, get over yourself. The government doesn't own you because you enlisted ****head, don't you have some boots you need to suck one somewhere

Actually, the government does own you.
Having gone to medical school on HPSP scholarship, they did decide where I would serve and whether or not I could do a residency. This applies to the academies also, I had many friends in the Army who were West Point grads. If you were high in your class and it would benefit the service, you could go to graduate school o r professional school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT