ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I would love to see this kid in the black and gold singlet. He flat took it to chittum first round at ncaas and looked fantastic. The one thing I hate about the portal however is the loss App.state has to take. They got solid guys every year and I hate to see smaller programs whom have good coaches out working their tail off to find these kids then lose them a year or two later. I really hope in the near future some rules of some sort tighten down when a kid can move and the number of times in a career.
Askey is probably a graduate transfer, so not really the same things.

He also got teched a couple of times by Shapiro and got dominated a couple of times by Ed Scott, so not sure the win over a true freshman in the opening round of his first NCAAs should be the sole basis for recruiting a guy to fill a hole.

Iowa needs guys competing for the top half of podium at each weight. We get too attached to our guys with the bottom half of the podium as a realistic ceiling.
first off who said bottom half, second I would take a team of 10 AA's every year no matter where they stand! a few will be close to the top each time, law of averages.

So a team of guys at each weight that are gunning for a spot on the podium is not what we want?
We need points. 10 guys at 7th or 8th place won't win Jack. We have to stop being content with guys whose ceiling is the lower half of the podium if our goal is team titles, at this point. Unless you’re content with fighting for second place.

We need points. 10 guys at 7th or 8th place won't win Jack. We have to stop being content with guys whose ceiling is the lower half of the podium if our goal is team titles, at this point. Unless you’re content with fighting for second place.
overtaking the cats every year is not going to happen, you could have a combo of any coaches you could write on paper and that still will not brung back the dominance the Gable era had!
Im good with making adjustments adding some firepower to the staff and getting a full lineup of hammers. This will get us in the mix for top 3 every year and earn a few titles a decade, which is all I would hope for.

overtaking the cats every year is not going to happen, you could have a combo of any coaches you could write on paper and that still will not brung back the dominance the Gable era had!
Im good with making adjustments adding some firepower to the staff and getting a full lineup of hammers. This will get us in the mix for top 3 every year and earn a few titles a decade, which is all I would hope for.
White Flag Couple GIF by Hollyoaks

Though this is true, a ceiling isn't a concrete concept. Opinions will vastly differ there. I'm old enough to remember when Seth Gross had slow feet and a low ceiling.

Sadly and unfortunately I dont see a dominate Iowa team and or getting multiple high level recruits / transfers in the near future with our current day to day operation of things. We are getting more and more exposed every year and without drastic changes they will continue to go elsewhere. Yes a new facility is nice but you can train and wrestle almost anywhere. We need new blood at the helm. Love the Brands and everything they have done for the University over the years but there time is in the past. Must evolve and move forward. Unless we have an open checkbook for all recruits and transfers it will stay status quo until the change at the top is made.

Though this is true, a ceiling isn't a concrete concept. Opinions will vastly differ there. I'm old enough to remember when Seth Gross had slow feet and a low ceiling.
Right? So, if one of ten low AA’s over performs, and wins it all, you might secure second place.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Bit of an aside, but I truly don't think Seth Gross becomes Seth Gross at Iowa for 2 big reasons:

1) I think AJ Schopp was essential for his development. Schopp's top game was perfectly suited to Gross's skillset and physical tools.

2) He might never have dropped to 133. His length and acquired top ability (which he did not show at Iowa) were what made him great.

So I agree that ceilings aren't concrete concepts, but the way they change is by matching the right skillset with the right development environment. Iowa is a better program than SDSU, but they had the perfect guy to make Seth Gross a monster.

Bit of an aside, but I truly don't think Seth Gross becomes Seth Gross at Iowa for 2 big reasons:

1) I think AJ Schopp was essential for his development. Schopp's top game was perfectly suited to Gross's skillset and physical tools.

2) He might never have dropped to 133. His length and acquired top ability (which he did not show at Iowa) were what made him great.

So I agree that ceilings aren't concrete concepts, but the way they change is by matching the right skillset with the right development environment. Iowa is a better program than SDSU, but they had the perfect guy to make Seth Gross a monster.
Would definitely agree here. Schopp’s style and top game elevated Gross to a level we may have never seen given other circumstances or a different environment. And as someone who had the experience of personally feeling Schopp’s top game in more than one match, it’s no joke

I think we have guys on our roster right now that could beat Askey. I know he's not in the portal but I would like to see 157 freshman from Purdue(Joey Blaze) come to Iowa. Wishful thinking.

agreed. people sleep on siebrecht but he was having a great season before his shoulder injury. he battled through it at big tens and ncaas but wasn’t quite the same. he also offers some big bonus upside as a pinner.

I would love to see this kid in the black and gold singlet. He flat took it to chittum first round at ncaas and looked fantastic. The one thing I hate about the portal however is the loss App.state has to take. They got solid guys every year and I hate to see smaller programs whom have good coaches out working their tail off to find these kids then lose them a year or two later. I really hope in the near future some rules of some sort tighten down when a kid can move and the number of times in a career.
No kidding. They lost Caleb Smith last year who placed 6th for Nebby this year. The small programs find kids and give them a chance and igf they pan out. they leave. Of course, it do could just be a reflection of the coach and his relationship with the kids. Let's see how many other small program AA kids leave their teams.

Last edited:
Regardless of how successful Cobe is next year, his style and funk are very much needed in the Iowa room right now. Wrestling Cobe in the room could be a great benefit for MC and CR. They probably already were, which would explain why both wrestled a lot looser than most of the team. Good chance to wrestle through uncomfortable positions as Cobe would definitely put them in some.

How about a maximum number of transfer portals a team can take each year?

Reactions: hogghawk
Considering the team we're chasing has a team of guys at each weight gunning for the TOP of the podium, I'd say no.
Well this is the on going problem for all other teams and it not going away. I want title shots at all weights also, but I will take a hammer at each weight that will make it a battle against anyone in the top 10.
A full lineup of guys we can say have a chance at a top spot, expecting anything more is just unrealistic.
I want the dominance back just as much as the next true Hawkeye fan.

Last edited:
Well this is the on going problem for all other teams and it not going away. I want title shots at all weights also, but I will take a hammer at each weight that will make it a battle against anyone in the top 10.
A full lineup of guys we can say have a chance at a top spot, expecting anything more is just unrealistic.
I want the dominance back just as much as the next true Hawkeye fan. L
Right, but if the high jump bar is set at 6', we need to aim for 6'3", not 5'9".

You know damn well that’s not me
But you’d be happy with a couple titles a year. You can’t overtake psu with that mindset, you know that too grip. Psu ain’t going away, we have to chip away and weaken them every year.

But you’d be happy with a couple titles a year. You can’t overtake psu with that mindset, you know that too grip. Psu ain’t going away, we have to chip away and weaken them every year.
if we got two individual championships a year starting right now we would be winning NC on and off with PSU within 4 years....... The recruiting alone would jump massively. Getting 1 in the finals and 4 AA is turning us into ISU.

Right? So, if one of ten low AA’s over performs, and wins it all, you might secure second place.
Lets say you have 10AA's. One AA per place so a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and another 4th and 5th. You would be in the hunt for a title every year. PSU is not going to break the record every year. You should expect them to score 130ish points every year, give or take.

Reactions: el dub
if we got two individual championships a year starting right now we would be winning NC on and off with PSU within 4 years....... The recruiting alone would jump massively. Getting 1 in the finals and 4 AA is turning us into ISU.
Yeah I mistyped I meant to say a couple titles a decade, meaning team championships.

I agree with the individual titles. We need to win more of those. A couple a year is a good start but in the era of psu dominance and NIL, realistically we need to be aiming for 4 or more.

One of us cesspoolians needs to win the lottery so we can fully fund our wrestling program.

Yeah I mistyped I meant to say a couple titles a decade, meaning team championships.

I agree with the individual titles. We need to win more of those. A couple a year is a good start but in the era of psu dominance and NIL, realistically we need to be aiming for 4 or more.

One of us cesspoolians needs to win the lottery so we can fully fund our wrestling program.I
If i win the 1.8 billion Iowa will never complain about PSU $$$ again.

Just my 2 cents, but recruiting needs to be way more of a priority than the portal. It's always said that the brands piss off officials, table workers etc. They haven't restrained themselves at times with opposing wrestlers either. Recruits may not have witnessed that in person, but alot of current D1 wrestlers have. I like the competitive said to it, but you have to have some restraint.

One of us cesspoolians needs to win the lottery so we can fully fund our wrestling program.
My wife and I are in agreement that if we hit the Powerball tonight (or ever), a very large sum is going to the Iowa Wrestling program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT