ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Yet to see evidence of The @vhsalum Defection (sounds like a posthumous Ludlum novel). Always strikes me as a stalwart fan, with solid insights and opinions on how he’d like to see the team improve. Criticism is far from disloyalty, and I assume the Chief’s jab was playful.
More curious about what V-named high school forms his tag. I have several around me . . . but I’m about 800 miles from Iowa.

Yet to see evidence of The @vhsalum Defection (sounds like a posthumous Ludlum novel). Always strikes me as a stalwart fan, with solid insights and opinions on how he’d like to see the team improve. Criticism is far from disloyalty, and I assume the Chief’s jab was playful.
More curious about what V-named high school forms his tag. I have several around me . . . but I’m about 800 miles from Iowa.
Valley HS in West Des Moines.

Joe Slaton, is that you? Come on in and get that last year knocked out...we've been waiting. ;)

Seriously though, I guess I would have questions. I get that some fans and former wrestlers may not like Tom/Terry or both. I also understand that some of its not personal. That happens in any sport/org. But as a former wrestler, you have put a lot of rumors out on the street in regards to the program; some accurate, some not (I get that shit changes)...most of it not in a good light. Do you leverage your status as a former Hawk to get this info and do the people that share it know it is you putting it out there? Also, have you spoke to Tom? Finally, why not put your name to it at this point? BTW, I do believe your claim to being a former Hawk. You haven't tried to Grammarnazi me so I discounted Pyles awhile bck 😂 Thanks for that though Willie.

I guess I am old school and a water's edge type of guy so I guess I don't see how this helps the program you used to be in.
Change can be difficult and it takes guts to speak truth to power. Some of you don’t seem to understand how hard-headed TnT can be. I would never consider taking these issues to Tom and I grew up with those guys.

He’s not an insider. He’s posted inside info in the past that didn’t come from within the program and had to delete. He has also been way off on things he claimed were inside. Might be a former wrestler. No idea.

Signed,
Not an Insider
Not currently. But I’m guessing he’s spent more time in the room with TnT than most anyone else posting here.

Reactions: Trapper85
Change can be difficult and it takes guts to speak truth to power. Some of you don’t seem to understand how hard-headed TnT can be. I would never consider taking these issues to Tom and I grew up with those guys.

Guts for an anonymous poster to criticize a sports program/coach on the internets?

marvel-is-it-though.gif

I have sat there and seen him questioned by fans in person about a questionable personnel decision and no tones were raised nor chainsaws brandished. Just a thoughtful, reasonable explanation. I don't doubt they can be stubborn but age and experience mellow people...I still wouldn't approach during a dual or a tourney tho lol.

Guts for an anonymous poster to criticize a sports program/coach on the internets?

marvel-is-it-though.gif

I have sat there and seen him questioned by fans in person about a questionable personnel decision and no tones were raised nor chainsaws brandished. Just a thoughtful, reasonable explanation. I don't doubt they can be stubborn but age and experience mellow people...I still wouldn't approach during a dual or a tourney tho lol.
Yes, guts for an anonymous poster. There’s blowback from other posters. This is a community. Going against community norms takes guts at most every level, imo. I feel no need to get in front of TnT with my views. It’s just talking shop with other wrestling fans. A fan telling another fan that they should share their opinions of a program with coaches are just exhibiting “blowback,” behavior, imo.

Reactions: Trapper85
My best friend was a HUGE WWE fan. Posters on the wall, watched every (tape-delayed) episode that came on. I had done karate in Japan and Judo in the Netherlands (where I was currently living). He says, "they have a wrestling team! Let's go out"

I agreed. We show up. No ropes and squared circle. He hated it, I loved it. I told my mom I was joining the wrestling team, and she said, "Yeah right" That first year, I wrestled in tennis shoes, because my mom refused to buy me wrestling shoes. She was sure I would quit. In her defense, I had quit most everything else she didn't make me stay in. Freshman year, nothing to write home about, qualified for Europeans (Military base states). Sophomore year, I turned into a weight cutter. Went from 126 to 113. Obviously not the biggest of deals, but I procrastinated. Slept in a sauna suit in front of a furnace. My wife has always told me that my superpower is my ability to sleep. I can fall asleep, anywhere, anytime, and I'm pretty sure I can reach REM deep sleep in 13 minutes or less. Made weight. Beat the guy ranked 2nd in Europe at the time but finished the year 0-2 again at Europeans.

Junior year I move back stateside, to Georgia. Qualified for state as a junior and senior. Junior year I went 0-1 (only quarterfinalist losers wrestled in consis) and senior year a round away from placing. The one thing that never bothered me was weight cutting. My senior year, I went from 145 to 125, and, in hindsight, I probably did it a better way than most. I didn't diet (that was stupid), but I also never starved myself. I would wait until the night before, have practice and go to the gym and get a workout in. A couple times I did step aerobics with plastics and a two layers of sweats on. The instructor didn't know how to take it, but since I kept up, she never really said anything. I would head straight to the sauna after that and get a run in in the morning. I lived on Sour gummy worms for that 12 hours or so. A nutritionist once told me that wasn't a "bad idea" since the sugar is an immediate energy source. I never crashed, so I'm sure I was lucky that way.

My one regret was my coaches never told me about summer wrestling. We didn't wrestle year round, I didn't know what Fargo was, I didn't know there was summer wrestling AT ALL. We went to one camp in the summer and that was it. I had no idea how to become good at the sport. I call my coach to this day and blame him for me not wrestling in college. It's all I ever wanted to do, but I knew I wasn't good enough.

I coached my brother his junior and senior year in Florida, and I've been an assistant coach ever since. I'm at a small private school and we do well. The one thing I've always been is a Hawks fan. My coach was a Hawk fan, told us about how the Hawkeyes were the best, and I've been a fan ever since.

Well that was fun while it lasted. From 2018. H/T to the silent rogue who sent me this.

Well that was fun while it lasted. From 2018.

Television Reality Tv GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT