ADVERTISEMENT

***Nunge (MVP) & Brady WIN PTL Championship 96-92 in OT; Williams named Best Defender ***

Have been to 2 nite in N Liberty and 2 full nights in The Loo and thus is what I have leaned:

- Garza and Nunge are both very impressive offensively, both have legit 3 point range, both need to work harder on defense but love their attitudes in that the both play hard and intelligent - not afraid

- Jordan, Isaiah and even C Will seem to have worked hard on developing offensively and am pleased with what I see.

- Cook to me is playing hard and more game focused vs intermaural free lance. Not really concerned, is trying to involve teammates which to me is weakest overall team of the 6.

- Ryan will be very key cog and love that he is trying to work occasional 3 ball and jump hook into his game.

- Nicolis has been mostly same old same old workman like steady, with confidence.

Not impressed with Uhl and feel he has already been passed up by frosh bigs and Ryan.

Dailey
, loved what I have seen but like Moss who missed a nite, there has not been as big of sample to go by. Dailey seems comfortable handling ball and perimeter game seems good. Not sure if he is or will become a flasher or penetrator off the ball asset that we sorely need,
Cautiously optimistic that we will become tourney quality by years end. Would help if we. Get a thinner healthier Pemsl

Can't wait for season

An update on Wagner:

Wagner scored 32 points with 10 rebounds in Thursday’s PTL win. The eye-opening stat may have been this, though: six assists for a player who had 46 of them in 34 games as a sophomore.

“Passing has been a big thing of mine,” said Wagner, whose summer workouts now begin with some solitary ball-handling drills. “Trying to find people for 3s, lobs, doing whatever I can to locate my game to the perimeter now because we’ve got a lot more big guys. So I’m going to have to work on my playmaking more.”

Wagner started 18 games last season, averaging 4.8 points and 3.4 rebounds. His forte was his relentless energy, almost always expended within five feet of the basket. He missed his only two 3-point shots and, although he ranked fourth on the team with 82 free-throw attempts, he was last in percentage of free throws made at 46.3.

None of this screams “perimeter player.”

But Wagner is undaunted.

“I like it a lot on the wing. I’m quick. I can defend the wing position,” he said after making 2-of-4 3-pointers Thursday. “If my ball-handling gets tight enough and my shot gets well enough, I don’t see why I can’t play that the whole year.”

Wagner remains Iowa’s strongest player. The proof is in the weight room, where he said sophomores Tyler Cook and Cordell Pemsl have been working to close the gap on him.

Wagner called Garza and Nunge “tenacious rebounders,” but not quite up to his par yet. He good-naturedly makes sure the rookies recognize that, too.

“I do what I do. They know. They know they’re still the young guys,” Wagner said. “I’ve got to shove them around a little bit and show them the ropes.”

That makes Wagner’s role an interesting case study for a Hawkeye team that includes eight forwards 6-7 or taller. All of them are trying to show coach Fran McCaffery they are indispensable.

“I’m going to bring energy. I’m going to still do that.”

Wagner wants to protect the 16 minutes per game he averaged last season. He learned two years ago how precious playing time is.

“If I took a break, if I got a little injury and I sat out, I got pushed deeper down,” he said.

“You’ve got to be ready at all times because anybody can jump ahead of you on the depth chart, and that’s not what you want.”

The whole story:
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ooking-add-some-finesse-his-muscle/444704001/

Games Resume Sunday July 9, 2017

3:00 Jones gym (NL)

Team 5 (Nunge / Ellingson) vs. Team 6 (Wagner / Williams)

3:00 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 1 (Tyler Cook/Dom Uhl) vs. Team 3 (JoBo / Kreiner)

4:30 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 2 (Baer / Moss) vs. Team 4 (Dailey / Garza)

On the latest KXNO / HawkCentral radio podcast, there was a lot of speculation on who would start.

Mark Emmert, who has been covering the PTL, thinks the following 5 will start:

JoBo
Moss
Nunge
Cook
Garza

Mark said that Nunge and Garza would play well together. He said to keep Baer as the 6th man. He thinks Ellingson is good coming off the bench.

Chad Leistikow's projected Starting 5:
JoBo
Moss
Baer
Cook
Kreiner (he initially had Garza and then changed his mind)

Ross Peterson's Starting 5:
JoBo
Ellingson
Moss
Cook
Nunge or Garza

The discussion on the rest of the roster:

Chad said that Uhl's role will be diminished.

Mark said you have to look at Pemsl, Wagner and Uhl when it comes to whose roles are diminished. The issue with Pemsl is his health; Mark said he really hasn't been healthy over the last 3 years and he played last year with a groin injury most of the year; Pemsl was never 100% healthy last year. Pemsl also had surgery this off season, of course (had a sports hernia repaired in May). Mark said he doesn't know where Wagner and Uhl fit in.

Chad said that Fran told him that Pemsl's recovery has been going well.

The average height of the 13 scholarship players, by the way, is 6'7". Looking ahead, you have Joe Weiskamp at 6'6" (replacing just Uhl) and Patrick McCaffery at 6'9."

The link to the podcast: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...central-leistikow-emmert-1460-kxno/100400532/

I wish they had the standings posted on the PTL web site.

Games Resume Sunday July 9, 2017

How has Dailey looked? As you will read, he is looking for some of those minutes!

From the QC Times:

Maishe Dailey is ready to focus on basketball and trying to take advantage of an opportunity to possibly get extra playing time with the departure of shooting guard Peter Jok.

Dailey played very little last season as a freshman, appearing in only 12 games and playing just 92 minutes, but he said he feels as though he made major strides in developing his skills.

He even grew another inch and said he still is learning how to use his size in conjunction with a smooth lefthanded shooting stroke that allowed him to make 6 of 10 shots from 3-point range in his first two games in the PTL.

“I’m still learning because my freshman year of high school I was only like 5-11,’’ he said. “Now I’m 6-7 … So I’m still learning how to use my height and be able to work inside and outside on the offensive end.’’

With as little as he played last season, he probably could have taken a redshirt year, sitting out the entire season in order to preserve a year of eligibility. But he’s actually glad he didn’t do that.

“I don’t regret not redshirting. I like my decision,’’ he said. “I think it was a good decision just because it kept me on my toes.’’

Full article: http://qctimes.com/sports/basketbal...cle_e6de50c6-dcd3-5834-ab0e-815b1de44779.html

Who's going?

Who's watching on line?

Some interesting match ups. Nunge vs Wagner, Williams vs Ellingson, Moss vs Dailey.

I think JoBo/Kreiner wins the whole thing in the end.

Today's games:

Any updates on Cook/Uhl vs Bohannon/Kriener

Game 1:

..............Ellingson 27pts............................Wagner 20 (6 assists)
..............Nunge 26 & 19.............................Williams 20

Game 2

.......................Cook 21 & 10..........................Kriener 42 and 16
.......................Uhl 23.....................................Bohannon 20

Mark Emmert said it was a really spirited duel between Kriener and Uhl. Each buried a few triples along with the dunks.

Game 3

.................Moss 27...........................Dailey 11 & 8
.................Baer 25 & 13...................No Garza tonight

Last edited:
Hopefully, these boys are working on things they need to improve. Screw the stats. I'd like to see a game where Bohannon takes zero threes but instead dribble drives and throws up a bunch of floaters even if he misses them all.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
Hopefully, these boys are working on things they need to improve. Screw the stats. I'd like to see a game where Bohannon takes zero threes but instead dribble drives and throws up a bunch of floaters even if he misses them all.
You should send Fran a note and let him know. With him being so busy recruiting I'm sure he never thought of this and could use the advice

Kriener definitely has a sweet jump shot and i think his rebounding is only gong to get better; and damn, i love his hustle; he has bought into Fran's philosophy, which is to bust your butt when on the court and when gassed, he will pull you

Would like to see him be something like a Kevin Love in Minnesota.

i was definitely surprised Garza outscored Cook and Uhl combined (36 for Garza, 30 total for Cook/Uhl)
My take is, that this is exactly why I'm excited to have Kreiner, and Garza at the five, and Cook and Pemsl at the four. People have been talking about Cook and Pemsl playing together, but I see us being better both on offense and defense with Cook and Pemsl at the four. Just think that both Kreiner and Garza can score from any level on the floor, and open the lane for the fours. Both are willing passers, and have the size and length to play in the post defensively. Pemsl is at a real disadvantage defending a true five. Nunge is the real wild card though, but I see him as a solid option at the three, or as a stretch four. Inside post game, solid perimeter shooter, solid mid range game, good handles, solid passer. Big enough to guard a four on defense, and quick enough to give a three fits, other the a few guys who might be a matchup problem.

My take is, that this is exactly why I'm excited to have Kreiner, and Garza at the five, and Cook and Pemsl at the four. People have been talking about Cook and Pemsl playing together, but I see us being better both on offense and defense with Cook and Pemsl at the four. Just think that both Kreiner and Garza can score from any level on the floor, and open the lane for the fours. Both are willing passers, and have the size and length to play in the post defensively. Pemsl is at a real disadvantage defending a true five. Nunge is the real wild card though, but I see him as a solid option at the three, or as a stretch four. Inside post game, solid perimeter shooter, solid mid range game, good handles, solid passer. Big enough to guard a four on defense, and quick enough to give a three fits, other the a few guys who might be a matchup problem.

Can you restate your last sentence? Not sure what you typed there.

i like Garza and Kreiner at the 5, too. And I agree; i think Cook and Pemsl are at the 4.

What's cool is you can slide Nunge from the 3 to the 4 and Moss from the 3 to the 2. Just a lot of interchangeable parts and based on match ups, Fran has a lot of options.

Can you restate your last sentence? Not sure what you typed there.

i like Garza and Kreiner at the 5, too. And I agree; i think Cook and Pemsl are at the 4.

What's cool is you can slide Nunge from the 3 to the 4 and Moss from the 3 to the 2. Just a lot of interchangeable parts and based on match ups, Fran has a lot of options.
I said that Nunge was big enough to guard a four, and versatile enough to guard most threes, other then a few possible matchup problems.

Games Thursday July 13

6:00 Jones gym (NL)
Team 1 (Cook and Uhl, 2-3) vs. Team 2 (Baer and Moss, 4-1)

6:00 Roberts gym (NL)
Team 3 (JoBo and Kreiner, 4-1) vs. Team 6 (Wagner and Williams, 3-2)

7:30 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 4 (Dailey and Garza, 1-4) vs. Team 5 (Nunge and Ellingson, 1-4)

Last edited:
Any updates on Cook/Uhl vs Bohannon/Kriener

Some more info from July 9's games

Game 1:

FINAL SCORE.............96.....................................................98

..............Ellingson 27pts............................Wagner 20 & 3 (6 assists)
..............Nunge 26 & 19.............................Williams 20 & 3 (6 assts)

Game 2

FINAL SCORE.................95..............................................112

.......................Cook 21 & 10..........................Kriener 42 and 16
.......................Uhl 23 &13....... ......................Bohannon 20 & 7 (6 assts)
......................Juwan McCloud 24 pts

Mark Emmert said it was a really spirited duel between Kriener and Uhl. Each buried a few triples along with the dunks.

Game 3

FINAL SCORE

.................Moss 27 & 6...............................Dailey 11 & 8
.................Baer 25 & 13..............................No Garza tonight
.................AJ Green 23 & 6 (6 assts)

CURRENT STANDINGS:

4-1 Baer Moss (won head to head over JoBo Kreiner)

4-1 JoBo Kreiner

3-2 Wagner Williams

2-3 Cook Uhl

1-4 Nunge Ellingson (won head to head over Dailey Garza)

1-4 Dailey Garza

***PLAYOFFS begin July 16***

1st and 2nd place teams have byes

4th place vs. 5th place 3:00 in Roberts gym
3rd place vs. 6th place 4:30 in Roberts gym

GAME RESULTS

Round 1 (June 17)

Nunge Ellingson 98, Dailey Garza 97

Baer Moss 115, Cook Uhl 99

JoBo Kreiner 128 Wagner Williams 100

Round 2 (June 22)

JoBo Kriener 94, Dailey Garza 82

Cook Uhl 103, Wagner Williams 97

Baer Moss 130, Nunge Ellingson 92

Round 3 (June 25)

Cook Uhl 113, Nunge Ellingson 111

Wagner Williams 89, Dailey Garza 86

Baer Moss 119, JoBo Kreiner 116

Round 4 (June 29)

Dailey Garza 95, Cook Uhl 72

JoBo Kreiner 95, Nunge Ellingson 87

Wagner Williams 117, Baer Moss 101

Round 5 (July 9)

Baer Moss 105, Dailey Garza 95

JoBo Kreiner 112, Cook Uhl 95

Wagner Williams 98, Nunge Ellingson 96

Round 6 (July 13)

Cook Uhl vs Baer Moss

JoBo Kreiner vs Wagner Williams

Dailey Garza vs Nunge Ellingson

PLAYOFFS -- July 16

4th place vs. 5th place 3:00 in Roberts gym
3rd place vs. 6th place 4:30 in Roberts gym
***1st and 2nd place teams have byes***

July 20, PLAYOFFS (SEMI FINALS)

First semifinal game 6:00 at Sportsplex
Second semifinal game 7:30 at Sportsplex

July 23, PLAYOFFS (CHAMPIONSHIP)

3:00 Jones Gym, NL - Championship Game

RECOGNITION CEREMONY AT HALFTIME

Last edited:
This week I should be clear to watch, provided they are streamed. Which leads me to a huge THANK YOU to anyone who streams these games! Only July, but I need me some Hawkeye Hoops fix!

Sedge

I am impressed in how much work JoBo and Kreiner have put in to improve their overall skill sets. JoBo has been working on his defense and on his floater. Kreiner has been working on extending the range of his jump shot. I think we have seen evidence of those 2 improved players during the PTL games. Both JoBo and Kreiner have shown us new parts of their game.

Anybody else show something new?
Just a couple thoughts here. As I brought up before, Ryan missed a lot of this work last year, so he started out behind Cook and Pemsl. For this reason I'm not suprised he's making a statement this off season, and the fact that he's got a legitimate contender in Garza to beat out for playing time.Of course Kreiner could play some 4 as well. There should be some decent chemistry between JBo, Kreiner, and Pemsl, as I believe they all played on the same AAU team.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Baer Moss and JoBo Kreiner sit on top of the standings at 4-1.

Baer Moss won the only head to head over JoBo Kreiner, 119-116.

Will we see these 2 teams in the Championship game?

Interesting to see Nunge's team and Garza's team both at 1-4.

Baer Moss and JoBo Kreiner sit on top of the standings at 4-1.

Baer Moss won the only head to head over JoBo Kreiner, 119-116.

Will we see these 2 teams in the Championship game?

Interesting to see Nunge's team and Garza's team both at 1-4.

Baer Moss - JoBo Kriener very possibly all 4 players will be starters this season.

Baer Moss - JoBo Kriener very possibly all 4 players will be starters this season.

It will be interesting but Baer has no problem as the 6th man. I love Wagner's and his energy. It's going to be fun seeing what the rotation looks like in Europe and then what it looks like at the start of the B1G season.

Wagner's PTL Video showed him hitting some outside shots. Just think what that would do to add another athletic wing that can stroke it and take it to the hoop! 33333333:cool:

Tyler Cook is playing. He is playing fans, the PTL, his team mates and the world.

He knows that the PTL does not matter and preparing for the Big Ten, March Madness and the NBA.

If C Will can over come the hip flexer, relax, drive to the hoop and shoot freely... he will be fine. (btw I still stand by my words, he is FIRST TEAM ALL BIG TEN DEFENSIVE PLAYER)

Ahmad Wagner can play the 3 if he develops any sort of a jump shot. At the same time I can only hope he walks on to the Iowa football team. He would have two years to develop. He has a much better chance to ply in the NFL than the NBA.

Hoping Cordell completely recovers from his injuries and other health issues. Not an original thought but it could work out for everyone if he red shirts this season?

We all have no clue about incoming frosh.. Nunge, Luka and whatever happened to Conner?

Finally, my Sixth POINT (6) Please allow for Nick to come off the bench. He will go from the best 6th man in the Big Ten to the best 6th Man in America

Will Baer Moss and JoBo Kreiner keep up their winning ways tonight and retain the top 2 seeds and a bye in the first round of the playoffs this weekend?

Does Garza's or Nunge's team stay out of last place?

Games tonight, Thursday, July 13

6:00 Jones gym (NL)
Team 1 (Cook and Uhl, 2-3) vs. Team 2 (Baer and Moss, 4-1)

6:00 Roberts gym (NL)
Team 3 (JoBo and Kreiner, 4-1) vs. Team 6 (Wagner and Williams, 3-2)

7:30 Roberts gym (NL)

Team 4 (Dailey and Garza, 1-4) vs. Team 5 (Nunge and Ellingson, 1-4)

Last edited:
First PTL game was a blowout, thanks to Isaiah Moss. He had 20 of his team's first 30 points. Moss started 4-4 from 3.

Baer Moss will finish at 5-1 and will get a first round bye in the playoffs, which start Sunday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT