ADVERTISEMENT

Official vs. Unofficial Visits

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Sisley was a 4 star official visitor last week. This week Moreno a 4 star will make an official visit. Those two players are taking numerous unofficial visits. What is Fran's strategy bringing them in for officials? Doesn't seem that likely we'll get either player with the list of unofgicial schools they've visited or will visit.

Sisley was a 4 star official visitor last week. This week Moreno a 4 star will make an official visit. Those two players are taking numerous unofficial visits. What is Fran's strategy bringing them in for officials? Doesn't seem that likely we'll get either player with the list of unofgicial schools they've visited or will visit.
That's a really interesting point, and I'm glad you've brought it up. Previously, high school juniors were able to take 5 official visits and then take 5 additional official visits their senior year and they could take 2 official visits to the same school as long as they were in different years. However, the NCAA just changed that rule this summer--kids are allowed to take as many official visits as they would like, however, they can now just take 1 official visit per school. (the current senior class was grandfathered in, so they were allowed to take a 2nd official visit to a school that they took an OV to last year, but this is the last class)

So it is a little strange to see Iowa kind of be out on an island here with their official visit strategy--all of these schools seem to be wanting to save their official visits for prospects for senior year. I think one thought is that Iowa is hoping an official visit will help them "stay in the race" for highly ranked prospects, especially if a prospect isn't inclined to take an unofficial to Iowa on their own dime. But it seems a lot of schools have a very different philosophy on this.
For Moreno and Sisley specifically, both of those guys already had taken sophomore year unofficials and it seems unlikely that they would need to visit 3 times in order for them to commit. So getting the official visit done early, might help Iowa if they decide they want to commit earlier in the cycle. Sometimes guys unexpectedly decide to end the process early--that happened with Owen Freeman specifically. I remember how surprised most people were he decided to commit fall of his junior year.

Thank HH80.

I wasn't aware both had taken unofficial visits to Iowa. Would be great to get another commit early like Freeman.

Reibe a 7' 3-star is also taking an official visit this weekend.

I think many recruits are surprised with the Iowa campus, the city and facilities once they visit.

I give Fran credit for being ahead of the curve.

Both Trent Sisley & Malachi Moreno took unofficial visits last year (they paid their own way). Fran is bringing them in on official visits (Iowa pays their way) because there is mutual interest and Fran thinks he has a shot at landing them.

And Malachi has already been a teammate of Cooper Koch.

(1) Trent Sisley (Iowa offered on July 9, 2022)

Unofficially visited Sep 10, 2022 (Iowa State football game).

Sherman Dillard watched his AAU game on April 22, 2023.

Fran was at his school on Sep 11, 2023 to watch him work out.

Officially visited Sep 29-Sep 30, 2023 (Michigan State football game); this was his first ever official visit.

(2) Malachi Moreno (Iowa offered on August 24, 2022)

Unofficially visited
Oct 2, 2022 (Michigan game)

Fran and Matt Gatens watched his AAU game on April 22, 2023.

Malachi and Cooper Koch were two of the 20 that Adidas selected to go to Italy in June, 2023 as part of their Eurocamp.

Reactions: Ronman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT