ADVERTISEMENT

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

Side note of little relevance. I am watching Poland and Columbia from Kazan and I got curious about the host cities. I don't think I've seen any sites east of the Urals. So, I looked on line, and sure enough, Yekatarinaburg is the farthest to the east. Now, Russia is huge, and spans a lot of time zones with lots of open space, but this is like the US hosting and there being no sites west of Columbus, OH. I can only guess facilities in the east were sub par, and there was no incentive to build a new facility that would be unused after the WC ends.
The longitude of Kaliningrad is 20°27′E, and the longitude of Yekaterinburg is 60°35′E, a 40 degree difference. In comparison San Francisco is at 122°25′W, and Boston is at 71°03′W, a 51 degree difference. If Russia is to put a game at say Vladivostok, the largest city in the far east, at 131°54′E, the difference will be a staggering 111 degrees, spanning 9 time zones. I don't think that will work too well on a logistics point or TV coverage. Russia has 11 time zones in total.

I’m not going to be very efficient tomorrow at work. Was going to take the day off to watch Germany advance but I’ll have to watch on my monitor and then the cafeteria over lunch.

Mexico in a spot here... Hope Sweden holds on and the Germans get their (inevitable) win.

What do I want, heavyweight Germany knocked out or to send Mexico home....tough choice.

Sweden's sure doing some world class diving and time wasting. Couldn't happen to a better team.

Sweden's sure doing some world class diving and time wasting. Couldn't happen to a better team.
Yep, feels good to watch.

Def pulling for a German goal. I quickly remembered the douchiness of the fan base down south. Combined with the “American” pundits especially Landon Donovan telling us to root for Mexico. **** Fox Sports.

Mexico isn't doing anything in the knockout stage, so maybe it is more ironic that Germany is going home.

Crazy that group E has no one through. Another great couple games coming up. Brazil could be going home.

God there is no one left for me to root for. Mexico throws piss in zip locs at our players. F Them.

England?

I highly doubt they would play World Cup games on artificial surfaces.

They will bring in grass turf just for the World Cup for any Stadiums with artificial turf. Obviously Kinnick is not one of them, but a lot of the stadiums being considered do have artificial turf normally.

The Kinnick rumor probably came from a few years back when the USA was bidding for 2018/2022. I guess they reached out to every stadium in the country over a certain capacity (60k, I think) to see if they would be interesting in bidding to be a host stadium. Kinnick made that list (along with about 60-70 other stadiums), but it didn't go any farther than that.

Edit - Found a link if anyone is interested. https://marcmwm.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/kinnick-stadium-considered-for-world-cup-2018/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT