ADVERTISEMENT

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

How many times are we going to see that should-have-been PK replayed now? Germany still had a lot more opportunities.

I haven’t seen Sweden sit back like that since 1939.

latest

That's what happens if Germany wins 2-0 and Mexico loses 1-0 right? 6 pt tie, Germany gets through on goal differential and Sweden over Mexico on goal differential in their match?

That's what happens if Germany wins 2-0 and Mexico loses 1-0 right? 6 pt tie, Germany gets through on goal differential and Sweden over Mexico on goal differential in their match?

That or if Sweden wins by 2 and Germany just wins by 1?
More likely Germany goes all out and Blitzkrieg the Koreans. Germany’s movement was so much better this game. Granted Sweden didn’t press like Mexico but much better effort. The defense still worries me.

If Germany wins it's shouldn't matter what their score is since they would be at least +2 in GD. If Sweden wins 2-0 them and Germany will be +2 and Mexico will be 0. That late goal by South Korea could be huge.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
From ESPN, this is how it shakes out if both Sweden and Germany win:

THREE-WAY TIE FOR FIRST AND SECOND
- If Sweden and Germany win they will finish level on six points with Mexico, and it will first come down to goal difference.
- Sweden are through in all scenarios. Germany are through in all but three scenarios, which means Mexico are most likely to be eliminated.
- If Sweden win by two or more goals they are through, with Germany guaranteed to qualify with any win (Mexico out)
- If Germany win by two or more goals they are through, with Sweden through with any win (Mexico out)
- If both Germany and Sweden win 1-0 the three teams would have identical records and it would go to head-to-head mini-league, and this would see Germany and Sweden through on goals scored (with Germany top on direct head to head with Sweden) and Mexico out.
- If both Germany and Sweden win 2-1 then Sweden would win the group on head to head goals scored. Mexico would be in second ahead of Germany in third on direct head to head
- If both Germany and Sweden win 3-2 (or any higher one-goal identical margin of victory) then Sweden would win the group with Mexico second and Germany third on head-to-head mini-league goals scored
- The only other way Mexico can go through, at the expense of Germany, if is both games are won by one goal, but Mexico's defeat against Sweden is a higher-scoring game.
- If Sweden win by one goal, and Germany win by one goal but in a high-scoring game, Germany win the group with Sweden in second and Mexico out

It was certainly clutch. Had Germany lost.... Mex wouldn’t have care and Sweden would advance.
Winning with 10 players?! Awesome. I’m drunk and I want you guys to know it.

Reactions: irunlikeAcieEarl
Side note of little relevance. I am watching Poland and Columbia from Kazan and I got curious about the host cities. I don't think I've seen any sites east of the Urals. So, I looked on line, and sure enough, Yekatarinaburg is the farthest to the east. Now, Russia is huge, and spans a lot of time zones with lots of open space, but this is like the US hosting and there being no sites west of Columbus, OH. I can only guess facilities in the east were sub par, and there was no incentive to build a new facility that would be unused after the WC ends.

Side note of little relevance. I am watching Poland and Columbia from Kazan and I got curious about the host cities. I don't think I've seen any sites east of the Urals. So, I looked on line, and sure enough, Yekatarinaburg is the farthest to the east. Now, Russia is huge, and spans a lot of time zones with lots of open space, but this is like the US hosting and there being no sites west of Columbus, OH. I can only guess facilities in the east were sub par, and there was no incentive to build a new facility that would be unused after the WC ends.
Probably more attractive to European fans too, to have everything in the west. Might mean a few more visitors.

2 thoughts, Poland #7 ranking....LOLOL.

Panama, absolute embarrassment and shows how ridiculous the USMNT sucking is by not qualifying.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
France-Denmark in danger of being the first 0-0 game of the tournament and we are half way through the third round of games. Denmark's defense is solid and and they are without their goal scorer Poulsen. Both teams probably fine with a draw.

I was eating lunch downtown a little bit ago and a guy in the restaurant told me that Kinnick was going to be a site for the 2026 games.
I did not know that.

Well Iceland isn’t doing their part to keep Messi out of the knockout round. Guess it’s all up to Nigeria.

God ****. This is women’s college basketball. Same teams every time.

What amazing group endings so far. Those Argentina and Croatia matches were wild. Only Argentina needs a goal in their game and another game in the last 5 minutes and get it.

And my Danes are through! Best defense, along with Uruguay, in the tournament so far. Croatian offense will be a huge test.

Damn, Maradonna is f'd up

Wonder if it's the Colombian Sniffing Powder again? (see USA '94)

Ronaldo>Messi.

Not in their last games. It's a worthless argument though, because they are so different yet equally as efficient.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT