ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

But you can do it and that’s okay? I’m not a frequent poster but I do read posts and you are no saint
Please show me a post where I called someone the “R” word. You can’t. I have never claimed to be a saint, far from it. Tough to be a saint as a Hawkeye fan.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I watch a lot of college basketball and the BIG refs just do not stack up well against the refs in other leagues.
My one concern though is that everyone here is rejoicing that we'll get a fresh crew and all will be well, and our first game will be ticky tack af as the refs try to establish their tone for the tournament.............

I'll celebrate consistent officiating when I see it.

I call it tight right away so it sends a message to the players but not all officials do that. Some want flow and to let several things go. Like I said it’s philosophy more than rules. People ask me about my strike zone. I don’t have it varies on every hitter.
Your strike zone varies by the hitter? I bet that pitchers and batters love having you calling their games

Reactions: F5n5 and Tfxchawk
I really haven't had a huge problem how thr games in the BTT have been called. There have been some wrong calls, sure, but what really matters is how are they impacting thr game. Because there is a lot of money involved and it is on national TV and branding is a big deal, I think there is a lot of selective officiating going on for certain individuals. Look at this last game, it was all Keegan vs. TJD. As long as either didn't just blatantly commit crimes, the real travesty would have been getting those guys in foul trouble. The B1G and the refs knew if TJD got in foul trouble this game was over and Iowa blows them out. Nobody outside of an Iowa fan wants that, so there has to be an effort to keep a competitive balance so that in the last 5 minutes the stars shine. In order to keep the foul valance they have no problem with the touch fouls by the role players.

This same line of thinking is why Kofi, or LeBron, or MJ or Kobe or take your pick, never foul out of games. I have watched way too much basketball over the years to not think that is not going on. It isn't exactly fixing the outcome, it is maintaining a competitive balance in whatever way they can to make the ending dramatic.

Today, Iowa won this game. They made the plays down the stretch that they needed to and that makes it all the sweeter.

Reactions: BBHawk
I’m gonna piss everyone off and I really don’t care. I’m an official myself at the high school level. Next season I’m done. Do some of you even have a clue that philosophy trumps the ridiculous rule book? I thought this crew did a good job. Did I think they messed up a few? Yeah. Who wouldn’t? Basketball is difficult to officiate. I officiate football and baseball. Much easier. I just want to call all of you experts out and evaluate you doing a 3rd grade game. Until you can man up and do that…. Shut the F up about officiating.
I officiated college basketball for 17 years. I also played D-1 basketball. I have also coached the game. I am stepping up to the plate and saying that the level of officiating is extremely disappointing. Many of these officials and in many cases whole crews should not be rated high enough to receive tournament assignments. If I do a subpar job in any other job I will get called out. I definitely realize how difficult the job is. I was a crew chief for 14 yrs and supervisor of officials for 10 yrs. Some of these officials would be talked to or relieved of their assignments in our leagues. We are not asking for perfection, we are asking for competence.

I officiated college basketball for 17 years. I also played D-1 basketball. I have also coached the game. I am stepping up to the plate and saying that the level of officiating is extremely disappointing. Many of these officials and in many cases whole crews should not be rated high enough to receive tournament assignments. If I do a subpar job in any other job I will get called out. I definitely realize how difficult the job is. I was a crew chief for 14 yrs and supervisor of officials for 10 yrs. Some of these officials would be talked to or relieved of their assignments in our leagues. We are not asking for perfection, we are asking for competence.

Was there ever a consideration given, or given to you, or something you communicated with your team about maintaining a competitive balance? Or officiating the stars differently as to not impact the game?

I have never asked that question to anyone with direct experience.

You both suck. Democrats, can’t win! I’m retiring from basketball retard! Not football and baseball!
Says the little man that won’t step on the court! Pussy!
LOL you are a complete moron! Bye to you tool bag! Funny how you make fun of my shape. That’s funny dorrito boy!

I hope this is a spoof thread and you’re not really around high school kids.

If it’s not a spoof and actually true, I’d love for someone to dox you so that you are not around high school kids anymore. You appear to be mentally unstable.

PS: I’ve seen what passes as “high school” officiating for football, basketball, and baseball. It’s no wonder you thought the game was called well. High school officials are notorious for being terrible at their jobs. Why would anyone openly brag about that?

Reactions: Tfxchawk
They are independent contractors just like me. No explicit contract with a conference. I didn’t start this to open up hatred. Basketball is very difficult to officiate and there is more philosophy than rules that each crew decide upon. It happens at the HS level. I know. Ultimately the players will decide the game and that is how you want to manage the game. In my opinion they managed the game well! My opinion
No. There are the rules. That's it. The philosophy is a bullshit thing that refs get together on to screw teams like Iowa. **** you and go sit down.

OP, serious question, what does "philosophy trumps the ridiculous rulebook" mean? Are you suggesting that as an official, you should use something other than the rulebook when you make calls? Because if that's what you're saying, you need to stop officiating anything right now.
If that is what you are saying, you are the problem. As an official, it is your job to be an impartial, unbiased robot, enforcing every small detail of that rulebook. If the rulebook tells you how to shake your johnson after you piss, that's how you do it. No one came to the game to see your interpretation of the rulebook or which part of it your "philosophy" disagrees with.

Reading the OP and his replies to other posters, he's either never officiated a game in his life or the worst official at whatever level he's at.

If you aren't calling games by the actual rules, you're part of the problem. And yes, that's an almost direct quote from a really good, well respected basketball official.

Your strike zone varies by the hitter? I bet that pitchers and batters love having you calling their games
Well, I’m guessing Altuve’s strike zone is a bit different than Aaron Judge’s. Just sayin, some adjustments are needed.

Reading the OP and his replies to other posters, he's either never officiated a game in his life or the worst official at whatever level he's at.

If you aren't calling games by the actual rules, you're part of the problem. And yes, that's an almost direct quote from a really good, well respected basketball official.
Not sure I'd read much of anything into what he said other than it was obvious he'd had his drink on for a while.

I’m gonna piss everyone off and I really don’t care. I’m an official myself at the high school level. Next season I’m done. Do some of you even have a clue that philosophy trumps the ridiculous rule book? I thought this crew did a good job. Did I think they messed up a few? Yeah. Who wouldn’t? Basketball is difficult to officiate. I officiate football and baseball. Much easier. I just want to call all of you experts out and evaluate you doing a 3rd grade game. Until you can man up and do that…. Shut the F up about officiating.
Healthy. I like it.

Do you all realize they get evaluated for every game? I know that. Fish rot from the head down! That’s why I’m not getting anywhere but I am with football and baseball
Then in all honesty they need to take a lllooonnnggg look at the evaluation process. Nuff said....

Reactions: shanksit44
I really haven't had a huge problem how thr games in the BTT have been called. There have been some wrong calls, sure, but what really matters is how are they impacting thr game. Because there is a lot of money involved and it is on national TV and branding is a big deal, I think there is a lot of selective officiating going on for certain individuals. Look at this last game, it was all Keegan vs. TJD. As long as either didn't just blatantly commit crimes, the real travesty would have been getting those guys in foul trouble. The B1G and the refs knew if TJD got in foul trouble this game was over and Iowa blows them out. Nobody outside of an Iowa fan wants that, so there has to be an effort to keep a competitive balance so that in the last 5 minutes the stars shine. In order to keep the foul valance they have no problem with the touch fouls by the role players.

This same line of thinking is why Kofi, or LeBron, or MJ or Kobe or take your pick, never foul out of games. I have watched way too much basketball over the years to not think that is not going on. It isn't exactly fixing the outcome, it is maintaining a competitive balance in whatever way they can to make the ending dramatic.

Today, Iowa won this game. They made the plays down the stretch that they needed to and that makes it all the sweeter.
Except what you just said IS in fact fixing the outcome. If your saying you can't foul out someone like KOFI because as a star he needs to remain on the court, and then you realize IF his bull rushes had been called offensive fouls as they often should have, he'd NEVER become the star he is because he'd be on the bench all the time. That by its very definition is fixing the outcome.

I think it might be torbee trolling us all. Well done torbee. Well done

• Haha
So you are going to quit because people complain about officials in a college basketball game? That seems weird.

The Big 10 is too fast for part time refs. The league needs full-time refs whose job it is to officiate games. That will never happen though because it costs too much money.

Reactions: Cresthawk
Was there ever a consideration given, or given to you, or something you communicated with your team about maintaining a competitive balance? Or officiating the stars differently as to not impact the game?

I have never asked that question to anyone with direct experience.
No. We are supposed to be impartial. My philosophy was that the officials should not take control of the game, they should keep control of the game. I also strongly believed in preventative officiating. A little talking can go a long way in keeping things from getting out of control.

1) guessing the OP is just trolling with some of her responses;
2) officiating at ANY level of basketball is very difficult due to multiple factors and the training programs/advancement systems are woefully designed and underfunded.
3) all anyone can ask officials for is: a) effort-be where you are supposed to be: b) knowledge of the rules-don't be guessing as/if you work different levels; c) consistency-when a cutter check in the first quarter is a foul then it should be a foul in the 4th quarter; d) integrity-this is a tough one for some officials on a big stage. The game isn't/shouldn't be about them.

I spent some time officiating basketball and baseball in my youth/young adutlhood and actually officiated some high school games involving posters on this site...I realized that I didn't have the patience, temperament or thick enough skin so I quit (a benefit to all involved). I'm not sure that there are any practical technological aids or alternatives. I'm not sure a 4th college basketball official would help either. Officiating will never be perfect but you just hope their mistakes don't turn or decide a game. As has been mentioned above the state of officiating for womens' basketball is considerably below that of mens' ball. Hard to watch sometimes.

haven't read the whole thread but you are an idiot. The constant contact on every rebound that we got from Indiana was terrible. Was any of it called? How about the protection Davis got from the refs? He should have been out with half a game to go. Maybe wake up

Reactions: iahawks10
So you are going to quit because people complain about officials in a college basketball game? That seems weird.

The Big 10 is too fast for part time refs. The league needs full-time refs whose job it is to officiate games. That will never happen though because it costs too much money.
It needs to happen. There's enough money with the TV deals. Make them full-time and more accountable.

It is very important for an official to check their ego at the door. A full understanding of the rules is critical but good common sense is also essential. A good rule of thumb is the advantage/ disadvantage rule. If you are doing something that gains you an unfair advantage or puts your opponent at an unfair disadvantage then it should be a violation. Let the players play the game . At this level, they know the rules. Work with them and don’t be an arrogant ass and you will gain their respect.

nice-whistle-bro

I liked most of what RVHaWK said. But wasn't sure what he meant about philosophy vs rules. Rules are rules for all on the court/field. My daughter pitched softball and was a top pitcher in the state. We played a team that was very mediocre to poor. We talked to the ref between innings of after the game and he said if he called the strike zone correctly for the opponents they wouldn't have a chance!!!! So we had a very tight zone and they didn't. That is not right.
Same applies for a 7 ft 270lb center putting a shoulder down and ramming someone back to get a clear shot at the rim. That is not allowed for a 190lb guy doing the same against the monster. But should be.

I’ve been a high school coach for 21 years and reffed youth leagues of all ages for over 10. Some comments about officiating here are not necessarily knowledgeable but, honestly, some of the Big Ten’s men’s officials are really bad and the women’s are worse. There are a few good ones but the bad ones are really bad. Some really seem to have agendas, either against a certain team or a look at me attitude. Neither is good for the game of basketball.
Hah! I just remembered TV Ted.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t mind Boroski at all. Courtney Green absolutely blows though

I believe Fran and Bo have got along a lot better over the last few seasons.

No idea how Courtney Green gets this game. In the land of scum, he may be the used rubber.

Szelc is another poor official. Like Kelly Peiffer’s dad.

Kueneman and Riley both suck too (obviously Larry Scrote as well) and Iowa overcame them yesterday. It can be done.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I refereed once.

When I was a student at Iowa back in the 60s the intramural office was looking for referees and it sounded like a good way to make a buck. My first game was a goddam nightmare. It was like a zoo with all the animals out of the cages and desperate for meat. Figured most of the players couldn't make their high school teams and wanted to show their stuff. Complete thugs. We were playing 6 minute quarters with no clock stop for anything. Early in the 2nd quarter the main little prick slugged a guy on the other team. I blew the whistle, grabbed the ball and yelled "Forfeit!" and headed for the office. They went crazy. I hid in Dr. Beebe's office for about 2 hours cause I was afraid to go outside. Apparently they got tired of waiting for me.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT