ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

I refereed once.

When I was a student at Iowa back in the 60s the intramural office was looking for referees and it sounded like a good way to make a buck. My first game was a goddam nightmare. It was like a zoo with all the animals out of the cages and desperate for meat. Figured most of the players couldn't make their high school teams and wanted to show their stuff. Complete thugs. We were playing 6 minute quarters with no clock stop for anything. Early in the 2nd quarter the main little prick slugged a guy on the other team. I blew the whistle, grabbed the ball and yelled "Forfeit!" and headed for the office. They went crazy. I hid in Dr. Beebe's office for about 2 hours cause I was afraid to go outside. Apparently they got tired of waiting for me.
Same type of thing happened when I officiated the top league at UNI. A team made up of football players didn't like how their game was officiated by the head student official, except they beat the crap out of him after the game.

Same type of thing happened when I officiated the top league at UNI. A team made up of football players didn't like how their game was officiated by the head student official, except they beat the crap out of him after the game.
Sounds about right. Like I said, nightmare. I think I reffed a total of 8 minutes.

One of the big things that needs to be cleaned up with officiating is all the "flopping" an offensive player does to get a foul call. That has created a huge problem in the game as well. I think some players worry more about drawing fouls and not playing the game.

One of the big things that needs to be cleaned up with officiating is all the "flopping" an offensive player does to get a foul call. That has created a huge problem in the game as well. I think some players worry more about drawing fouls and not playing the game.
Both ends of the court. Stop acting like it’s a soccer match and attempted murder just happened against you. It is ruining the sport and a technical should be called immediately. No first warning.

Both ends of the court. Stop acting like it’s a soccer match and attempted murder just happened against you. It is ruining the sport and a technical should be called immediately. No first warning.
They also have to clean up all the missed traveling calls out top. There are so many times a player takes 2-4 steps after catching and nothing is called. People complain about the block/charge and traveling is the most egregious call that is missed.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
ADVERTISEMENT