ADVERTISEMENT

*****Ohio St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

So playing devils advocate here… Ohio states 30 points in the paint gains a lot more perspective when you see we have 26….

I mean seriously we have really poor defense, but Ohio State has three times the athleticism and clearly they’re not terrific defending the paint either…

Not the two “bad“ ever equal anything even OK, but it’s more reasonable, right🤷‍♂️
To be clear, we had 26 points in the paint, BUT 15 of those on fast break scores. So in the half court offense more like 11 paint points......

Reactions: cmhawks99
Tried to stay positive but we just played a team that’s lost 14 road games in a row and gave up 13 offensive rebounds again but somehow managed to pull out a victory. I guess after 11 conference games we pretty much are what we are. 8-12, 9-11, at best 10-10. Kind of a rebuild I guess. But we need some serious impact players moving forward. We lose our only guy that can create his own shot. Bowen has shown no improvement. Harding has a long ways to go. We are incredibly weak moving forward at the guard position.

Tried to stay positive but we just played a team that’s lost 14 road games in a row and gave up 13 offensive rebounds again but somehow managed to pull out a victory. I guess after 11 conference games we pretty much are what we are. 8-12, 9-11, at best 10-10. Kind of a rebuild I guess. But we need some serious impact players moving forward. We lose our only guy that can create his own shot. Bowen has shown no improvement. Harding has a long ways to go. We are incredibly weak moving forward at the guard position.
hmmm how about celebrating the win and what we did well?

Reactions: sober_teacher
Boxscore Iowa got 20 defensive rebounds/ OSU 13 offensive rebounds....only got 20/33 of available rebounds...so 60%....want to be North of 70%. Zone was bad.

Only 3/10 from 3pt line...not a lot of attempts or makes. OSU shot 3 ball very well 7/16. That's been a trend recently with Indiana and OSU.

Iowa shot 54.7%..normally that should be easier win. I didn't like these refs....seemed to call stuff that wasn't there. Freeman got picked on. First 2 fouls were touch fouls that could have been no calls, and then a clear OSU Flop.

Gotta play better defense/rebound better. Good win but having a coin flip close game with a bottom feeder team at home is sign we need to improve. Dembele 6 rebounds...Krikke 2... Krikke needs to rebound/defend better or sit more and more Dimbele.

5-6 in B1G is a lot better than 4-7 with next game on road. Go hawks.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Boxscore Iowa got 20 defensive rebounds/ OSU 13 offensive rebounds....only got 20/33 of available rebounds...so 60%....want to be North of 70%. Zone was bad.

Only 3/10 from 3pt line...not a lot of attempts or makes. OSU shot 3 ball very well 7/16. That's been a trend recently with Indiana and OSU.

Iowa shot 54.7%..normally that should be easier win. I didn't like these refs....seemed to call stuff that wasn't there. Freeman got picked on. First 2 fouls were touch fouls that could have been no calls, and then a clear OSU Flop.

Gotta play better defense/rebound better. Good win but having a coin flip close game with a bottom feeder team at home is sign we need to improve. Dembele 6 rebounds...Krikke 2... Krikke needs to rebound/defend better or sit more and more Dimbele.

How about we won a game aganist a team and their coach on the hot seat

I thought our defense was solid tonight and has been for the past few games. A win is a win, so I don’t really care about style points for a big margin. I do think rebounding is our Achilles heal.

Reactions: longliveCS40
To be clear, we had 26 points in the paint, BUT 15 of those on fast break scores. So in the half court offense more like 11 paint points......
Yes our paint points seems to be more dribble drive, fast break, and mid range 2s. We have 3 guys Krikke, Dix, Perkins that are pretty good at midrange shot.

Iowa's paint defense has been a problem all season and it goes to chit when Freeman has to sit because of fouls. I'm impressed with Dimbele defensively---he's pretty quick and can handle guards on switches and he has strength/length to guard in paint. The problem we have is there are only two guys on the team that can both defend in paint and rebound in paint and that is Freeman and Dimbele. I guess Braun is a 3rd but Fran doesn't play him.

Teams with ~7'0 centers seem to be killing us. Okpara 6'11 and 7'3 reach was 5/7 from field and he' s only averaging 6 pts this season.

Good win but I would be surprised if this team can get enough wins to make NCAA tourney and we don't have the horses to win the BTT.

Yes our paint points seems to be more dribble drive, fast break, and mid range 2s. We have 3 guys Krikke, Dix, Perkins that are pretty good at midrange shot.

Iowa's paint defense has been a problem all season and it goes to chit when Freeman has to sit because of fouls. I'm impressed with Dimbele defensively---he's pretty quick and can handle guards on switches and he has strength/length to guard in paint. The problem we have is there are only two guys on the team that can both defend in paint and rebound in paint and that is Freeman and Dimbele. I guess Braun is a 3rd but Fran doesn't play him.

Teams with ~7'0 centers seem to be killing us. Okpara 6'11 and 7'3 reach was 5/7 from field and he' s only averaging 6 pts this season.

Good win but I would be surprised if this team can get enough wins to make NCAA tourney and we don't have the horses to win the BTT.
You are most likely correct but how about pointing out what we did right to get the win

I thought our defense was solid tonight and has been for the past few games. A win is a win, so I don’t really care about style points for a big margin. I do think rebounding is our Achilles heal.

I guess it depends whether you think securing the defensive rebound is part of the defense.

Style points don't matter in W/L but I'm thinking if you struggle to beat one of the worst teams in B1G at home then it probably means you will have hard time holding serve at Carver vs better teams. Winning most of the home games is key to having a 10-10 or better B1G record. We already have 3 home losses. The good news is we seem to be better on the road then most of the other sub 500 B1G teams.

I've been thinking they will go 10-10 in conference play, its hard to seem them doing a lot better than that without some improvement in their post defense/rebounding. Krikke had been a big tailwind for offense and more recently he's not making shots at same clip as earlier in season when he was making 59% of his shots.

Reactions: unclesammy

Probably see more Dembele for his defense and rebounding since Krikke has gone cold shooting. His mid range game has disapeared so he's mostly useless. If Refs would stop picking on Owen and let him play our rebounding would be better.

Probably see more Dembele for his defense and rebounding since Krikke has gone cold shooting. His mid range game has disapeared so he's mostly useless. If Refs would stop picking on Owen and let him play our rebounding would be better.
Refs aren't really picking on Owen. He keeps reaching on defense, which is how big men get fouls called. Owen really has had a tough stretch the past few games, even getting posterized tonight. Fran seems to be starting to realize, after 2/3 of the season, that we need someone to play interior defense and rebound by bringing in Dembele, who is coming on with more minutes. I am not sure that Krikke can jump higher than me, and I am an old man.

Since I have been knocking him, I have to give Patrick credit for making his FTs down the stretch. He also made a nice in bounds pass to end the half, where Payton should have gotten FTs for being undercut on his shot. Payton opened the door, and we were a little lucky that OSU didn't grab the intentionally missed FT at the end.

Badly needed win, just to stay out of the bottom 4, so I'll gladly take it.

We’re both bottom feeders….. not being negative just stating facts. Now one of three things will happen…

We Will both be bottom feeders, Ohio State will get it, turned around and close the season, strong, or we will, I know for a fact we both won’t….🫣

Reactions: littlez
Refs are not picking on Freeman. He’s played a lot of minutes and looks tired. He’s not moving his feet and he’s fouling. He’s had a great Freshman season. Hopefully he can push through this and finish strong.

Refs aren't really picking on Owen. He keeps reaching on defense, which is how big men get fouls called. Owen really has had a tough stretch the past few games, even getting posterized tonight. Fran seems to be starting to realize, after 2/3 of the season, that we need someone to play interior defense and rebound by bringing in Dembele, who is coming on with more minutes. I am not sure that Krikke can jump higher than me, and I am an old man.

Since I have been knocking him, I have to give Patrick credit for making his FTs down the stretch. He also made a nice in bounds pass to end the half, where Payton should have gotten FTs for being undercut on his shot. Payton opened the door, and we were a little lucky that OSU didn't grab the intentionally missed FT at the end.

Badly needed win, just to stay out of the bottom 4, so I'll gladly take it.

Refs are not picking on Freeman. He’s played a lot of minutes and looks tired. He’s not moving his feet and he’s fouling. He’s had a great Freshman season. Hopefully he can push through this and finish strong.
I think it’s a bit of both. Feels like a 1/3 or so of his fouls have been touch fouls that not every big gets called for, but he is because he needs to learn to not swipe with an arm, or jump when he shouldn’t.

I thought Patrick got about the right amount of minutes tonight, and made the most of his minutes. Pryce is just not strong enough to play right now. I really like the energy Brock brings with his on ball defense. He needs more than 2 minutes. Desonte didn't do much with his 5 minutes. Dembele's defense and rebounding was something we really needed tonight. He is starting to come around. Krikke had another bad game, but hopefully he can come out of his slump. Dix, Sanford, and Perkins are looking really good. Ohio State is young, but they really have some tallent there. Good win Hawks!

A lot of fans are still bitching about Iowa's defense, but when was the last time Fran brought in a 7 foot center or taller to play the center position, Woodbury?
Someone that can handle the position and not require multiply Iowa players to stop hedging toward the basket to help in rebounding or defending the middle, leaving their man wide open for easy 3's.
That's been Iowa's defensive breakdown since maybe Woodbury left. Fran can't help himself going for 6-8, 6-9 players that have to go up against 7 footers or players that have wingspans of a 7 footer player and it puts Iowa at a major disadvantage.
That's why I'm still hopeful that Riley Mulvey can be that guy.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but after being at Iowa for 3 plus years, I'm going to hope he contributes for the next 2 years.
If not, Freeman and Dembele are going to have to shoulder the rebounding and defensive responsibility's next year.
Iowa looses at least 3, 4, or 5 players from this years roster and has only 2 recruits sighed for next year, both forwards which means Fran could have to find at least a center, and maybe ball handing guards to fill out next years roster. We'll see.
Either way, I'm not sure I trust Fran to bring in the right players that will compliment the returning players...that Iowa needs to get back to a least challenge for a Big Ten title and get back to the NCAA tournament and try again to reach the 2nd week.

Reactions: skydog0784
This. As you said trying to be positive, BUT, if this is a rebuilding year, what does the near future hold? Unless Fran brings in an impact guard, are we much better next season? We'd need a TON of growth, and at this point there's not much help in the pipeline.....

Reactions: littlez
A lot of fans are still bitching about Iowa's defense, but when was the last time Fran brought in a 7 foot center or taller to play the center position, Woodbury?
Someone that can handle the position and not require multiply Iowa players to stop hedging toward the basket to help in rebounding or defending the middle, leaving their man wide open for easy 3's.
That's been Iowa's defensive breakdown since maybe Woodbury left. Fran can't help himself going for 6-8, 6-9 players that have to go up against 7 footers or players that have wingspans of a 7 footer player and it puts Iowa at a major disadvantage.
That's why I'm still hopeful that Riley Mulvey can be that guy.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but after being at Iowa for 3 plus years, I'm going to hope he contributes for the next 2 years.
If not, Freeman and Dembele are going to have to shoulder the rebounding and defensive responsibility's next year.
Iowa looses at least 3, 4, or 5 players from this years roster and has only 2 recruits sighed for next year, both forwards which means Fran could have to find at least a center, and maybe ball handing guards to fill out next years roster. We'll see.
Either way, I'm not sure I trust Fran to bring in the right players that will compliment the returning players...that Iowa needs to get back to a least challenge for a Big Ten title and get back to the NCAA tournament and try again to reach the 2nd week.
We have centers. Freeman is that guy and Dembele is proving to be a more than acceptable back. Hell, I like Braun’s’ defense as well. I don't think we need more centers. If Perkins or Bowen leave we are going to need more slashers who can break down defenses.

Happy for the W. But hard to get excited about it - shot 55% (30% from 3) and 82% from the line and won by 2 against a team that's lost 6 of 7 coming in.

Just too soft in the middle, which I don't think can be fixed this year.

Perk, Dix and Sandfort really played well and produced 50 points. Krikke is fading - 8 points and 2 boards in 33 min. Needed PMac for this one and he played pretty well.

Box score says Hawks with 6 blocks? That's a great number but I don't remember them.

8 turnovers is excellent.

Happy for the W. But hard to get excited about it - shot 55% (30% from 3) and 82% from the line and won by 2 against a team that's lost 6 of 7 coming in.

Just too soft in the middle, which I don't think can be fixed this year.

Perk, Dix and Sandfort really played well and produced 50 points. Krikke is fading - 8 points and 2 boards in 33 min. Needed PMac for this one and he played pretty well.

Box score says Hawks with 6 blocks? That's a great number but I don't remember them.

8 turnovers is excellent.
The way Perkins, Dix and Sandy are playing, I’m actually thrilled. Everyone always says that guard play wins in the NCAA, well right now Perkins and Dix are playing VERY well. Sandy adds a 3rd scoring option and leadership.

I think Freeman has hit a bit of the freshman wall, but the good news is that Dembele has emerged as a capable back up and gives us rebounding and defense. Making the NCAAS will be tough, but I’m not convinced it’s impossible.

I get that OSU has struggled this year, but let's not act like that team we just beat is a talent-less typical bottom-feeder that recent Minnesota, Penn State and Nebraska teams have been. Holtmann has brought in back-to-back top 10 nationally composite ranked classes in a row. That roster is filled with top 50-75 ranked kids. Which probably highlights just how bad Holtmann has been as an actual coach the last 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT