ADVERTISEMENT

*****Ohio St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

I think it’s a bit of both. Feels like a 1/3 or so of his fouls have been touch fouls that not every big gets called for, but he is because he needs to learn to not swipe with an arm, or jump when he shouldn’t.
Freshmen usually have a little bit of an initiation period. Established players get away with more, but they also learn what not to do. Most of Owen's fouls are just a lack of discipline. His job on defense should mostly be to wall off his man from the basket with his arms straight up. He should want to make sure that he is going to be in a better position for a rebound than the guy shooting. He hasn't been doing that very well the past few games.

Reactions: sober_teacher
A lot of fans are still bitching about Iowa's defense, but when was the last time Fran brought in a 7 foot center or taller to play the center position, Woodbury?
Someone that can handle the position and not require multiply Iowa players to stop hedging toward the basket to help in rebounding or defending the middle, leaving their man wide open for easy 3's.
That's been Iowa's defensive breakdown since maybe Woodbury left. Fran can't help himself going for 6-8, 6-9 players that have to go up against 7 footers or players that have wingspans of a 7 footer player and it puts Iowa at a major disadvantage.
That's why I'm still hopeful that Riley Mulvey can be that guy.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but after being at Iowa for 3 plus years, I'm going to hope he contributes for the next 2 years.
If not, Freeman and Dembele are going to have to shoulder the rebounding and defensive responsibility's next year.
Iowa looses at least 3, 4, or 5 players from this years roster and has only 2 recruits sighed for next year, both forwards which means Fran could have to find at least a center, and maybe ball handing guards to fill out next years roster. We'll see.
Either way, I'm not sure I trust Fran to bring in the right players that will compliment the returning players...that Iowa needs to get back to a least challenge for a Big Ten title and get back to the NCAA tournament and try again to reach the 2nd week.
Agree with almost all of this. If Tony leaves, an experienced guard who can handle the ball and score, would be my first priority. How much we are willing to bid on a true center would depend on whether Mulvey is really showing that he can play in practice. Would be nice is insiders had reports on his progress. Dembele and Freeman should both be much better defensively next year. I think Dembele has the potential to be a the interior defender and rebounder that Fran has needed for years. The recruits seem more like 3/4s than 4/5s.

A lot of fans are still bitching about Iowa's defense, but when was the last time Fran brought in a 7 foot center or taller to play the center position, Woodbury?
Someone that can handle the position and not require multiply Iowa players to stop hedging toward the basket to help in rebounding or defending the middle, leaving their man wide open for easy 3's.
That's been Iowa's defensive breakdown since maybe Woodbury left. Fran can't help himself going for 6-8, 6-9 players that have to go up against 7 footers or players that have wingspans of a 7 footer player and it puts Iowa at a major disadvantage.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but after being at Iowa for 3 plus years, I'm going to hope he contributes for the next 2 years.
If not, Freeman and Dembele are going to have to shoulder the rebounding and defensive responsibility's next year.
Iowa looses at least 3, 4, or 5 players from this years roster and has only 2 recruits sighed for next year, both forwards which means Fran could have to find at least a center, and maybe ball handing guards to fill out next years roster. We'll see.
Either way, I'm not sure I trust Fran to bring in the right players that will compliment the returning players...that Iowa needs to get back to a least challenge for a Big Ten title and get back to the NCAA tournament and try again to reach the 2nd week.
Mulvey will get Braun's minutes next year, nothing more. If he was worth a crap, he'd have earned playing time in previous years.

Agree with almost all of this. If Tony leaves, an experienced guard who can handle the ball and score, would be my first priority. How much we are willing to bid on a true center would depend on whether Mulvey is really showing that he can play in practice. Would be nice is insiders had reports on his progress. Dembele and Freeman should both be much better defensively next year. I think Dembele has the potential to be a the interior defender and rebounder that Fran has needed for years. The recruits seem more like 3/4s than 4/5s.
need portal help for next year. I don't think Harding is the answer to replace Perkins at point & Bowen seems to be in Fran's doghouse. I think Bowen transfers out. Would love a stud point guard transfer.

need portal help for next year. I don't think Harding is the answer to replace Perkins at point & Bowen seems to be in Fran's doghouse. I think Bowen transfers out. Would love a stud point guard transfer.

As a pure scorer I agree, at least so far, about Brock. As a guy to run the offense, I think he has the best court vision/passing skills since Horner.

Agree that we need to bring in a guard next year, as well as a big man if possible. I admit to being intrigued by a frontcourt of Dembele/Freeman and Tadjo sounds interesting as a power forward.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I hate replying to my own post, but after sleeping on it overnight, I have to say that maybe Fran knows that Tony and Patrick are coming back next year. That would make sense as Iowa only has 2 recruits coming in next year. That makes the roster for next year up to 12 scholarships which in the past has been Frans limit.
If Bowen leaves and hits the portal, which I hope not, Iowa still has Pryce, Tony, and Dix to play that position or point guard.

I wish we could target NIL fund drive to lure Tony back...he is worth 100k easy to next year's team.
If he came back and Riley or portal big guy at center we would be set. Another Tony- type wing would be nice.
I think Owen, Ladji, and tjado can all move their feet so our interior defense should improve. Shooting? Suspect.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I wish we could target NIL fund drive to lure Tony back...he is worth 100k easy to next year's team.
If he came back and Riley or portal big guy at center we would be set. Another Tony- type wing would be nice.
I think Owen, Ladji, and tjado can all move their feet so our interior defense should improve. Shooting? Suspect.
I don't see anyone mentioning Koch, who is going to be very good. I am not sure how much he will sure up or interior defense, but I think he will become a key player on the offensive end. He sounds like a little bigger version of Payton, and can probably play well at 3 or 4. I am still not sure where Tjado will fit in, but he has the size and athletic ability to be very good defender, if he has the "want to". Tony coming back would give Fran a very nice group, preferably without Patrick, so there are minutes for the young guys who should be better. Mulvey could be the missing piece, if he can give a solid 10-15 min, especially on the defensive end. He was a very good shot blocker in HS, as I recall.

I don't see anyone mentioning Koch, who is going to be very good. I am not sure how much he will sure up or interior defense, but I think he will become a key player on the offensive end. He sounds like a little bigger version of Payton, and can probably play well at 3 or 4. I am still not sure where Tjado will fit in, but he has the size and athletic ability to be very good defender, if he has the "want to". Tony coming back would give Fran a very nice group, preferably without Patrick, so there are minutes for the young guys who should be better. Mulvey could be the missing piece, if he can give a solid 10-15 min, especially on the defensive end. He was a very good shot blocker in HS, as I recall.
Quite frankly, I expect Mulvey to transfer - i think he redshirted this year to save himself a year of eligibility elsewhere. Will need to add a big man if that happens.

Quite frankly, I expect Mulvey to transfer - i think he redshirted this year to save himself a year of eligibility elsewhere. Will need to add a big man if that happens.
He still seems to be very engaged with the team, but you could definitely be right. I wish someone could report how he is doing in practice. We really only need a solid back up.

I have to think that if Riley was making significant strides in practice word would leak out.
As badly as we perform vs true bigs we need him out there if he is good. I doubt Fran would have allowed the red shirt if he is good.
We were starting krikke at center the 1st month when Riley was allowed to red shirt...how good could he be?

This. Getting Perkins back is job #1, and Bowen #2. We need their athleticism and slashing ability.

With Ladji, Freeman, Brauns and Tadjo I really don’t see the need for another center. Someone made a comment about Ladji looking bigger and I agree. Maybe it’s the long arms, but he looks all of 6’10” to me.

I’d be shocked if PMac comes back given his anxiety and health issues. I’ll also be somewhat surprised if Riley does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT