*****Ohio St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
6pm FS1
Iowa -5.5
O/U 157.5

Ohio State (13-8, 3-7 Big Ten) has lost 3 straight and 4-6 in last ten games. The Hawkeyes (12-9, 4-6 Big Ten) are 6-4 in their last ten games and 8-3 at home this season.

Weeks ago I predicted this as a win and I’m sticking to it. I’ll guess 84-72 Hawks

Must win.

Chances of getting in the tournament are slim...an L is pretty much game over.

We're #62 in the NET so we're still in shouting distance but can't afford any more home L's, especially to a team like OSU...

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It was nice to see Wisconsin lose to Nebraska after they had dominated 1st half with 19pt lead. Something needs to be done to improve Carver experience and get people to show up. Nebraska home court crowd much more alive.

Watching Nebraska, Lil Hoiberg didn't inherit his Father's height or shooting ability, but he does put out defensive effort. I can think of two Hawkeye players that ought to watch film on true defensive intensity and rebounding effort. Actually the coach ought to watch also.

IF Iowa can't beat a bottom feeder like OSU at home, then who can they beat? This seems like 80% probabilty of a win unless some freak event like OSU goes wild from 3pt line or Iowa is Brick city.

It was nice to see Wisconsin lose to Nebraska after they had dominated 1st half with 19pt lead. Something needs to be done to improve Carver experience and get people to show up. Nebraska home court crowd much more alive.

Watching Nebraska, Lil Hoiberg didn't inherit his Father's height or shooting ability, but he does put out defensive effort. I can think of two Hawkeye players that ought to watch film on true defensive intensity and rebounding effort. Actually the coach ought to watch also.

IF Iowa can't beat a bottom feeder like OSU at home, then who can they beat? This seems like 80% probabilty of a win unless some freak event like OSU goes wild from 3pt line or Iowa is Brick city.
Carver seems to be just fine for the Iowa women.

It's a given that a Final-4 appearance would juice Iowa men's b-ball attendance. However we live in an era where winning 51% of your B1G 10 game over 14 years makes you an all time great coach among fan board members, most of which do not go to games. The people that actually go to games care more about wins and post season success, cost, convenience. Having seen the excitement Lute Olson brought to Iowa B-ball, the current state of affairs is underwhelming.

I live out of state so that is my excuse for not attending. It does need to be easier for students and fans to get t the game, parking should be plentiful and cheap, tickets cheaper, etc.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Iowa is a flawed team this year, which make winning against a team with good interior players really tough. Probably the worst interior defense in the B1G.

Creating a black hole right smack in the middle of the south end of Carver's court is not improving the game experience. Not a good look. If anything maybe Iowa should switch benches and move the students to the north end of Carver or underneath the media area behind the opposing bench. Just a thought.

Hope Iowa fans enjoy the Chris Holtmann Farewell Tour as it makes its way through Iowa City. Ross Bjork doesn't officially begin as new OSU AD until July 1. Gene Smith, unfortunately, extended Holtmann's contract through the 2027-2028 season a few years ago. I believe his buyout is $14M. I assume both Gene Smith and Bjork will be involved in hiring a new coach.

Iowa fans, how much longer will Fran be around?

Is Holtmann the all time winningest coach in Ohio State basketball history? I think not. Ohio State has higher ambitions of finishing in the top 3 in conference then at Iowa. He should be GONE if they don't make THE tournament.

If you think about it, every job should have levels you need to keep growing towards, teachers, lawyers, ditch diggers etc….they should be rated yearly by their peers, bosses and a few outside observers.

If you’re not in the top 10% of your profession you should be fired.

Now, we are going to end up with a lot of turnover and lots of folks out of work, but that’s how it has to be done…every job should be treated like a sporting event, if you don’t do better year after year, your out…!!

Creating a black hole right smack in the middle of the south end of Carver's court is not improving the game experience. Not a good look. If anything maybe Iowa should switch benches and move the students to the north end of Carver or underneath the media area behind the opposing bench. Just a thought.
The student section has been a black hole at Carver since 2006.

Reactions: QChawks
Iowa players need to understand their strengths and weaknesses (including Fran in use of players). These players should not be taking jump shots unless the clock in running out - Harding, Bowen, Patrick, and Dembele). I can shoot jumpers as good as them and I am a fat old man. Harding is an assist guy, Bowen is good on defense, Patrick on full court press, and Dembele on rebounding and defense. Now, lay-ups are permissible - jumpers - no.

It's a given that a Final-4 appearance would juice Iowa men's b-ball attendance. However we live in an era where winning 51% of your B1G 10 game over 14 years makes you an all time great coach among fan board members, most of which do not go to games. The people that actually go to games care more about wins and post season success, cost, convenience. Having seen the excitement Lute Olson brought to Iowa B-ball, the current state of affairs is underwhelming.

I live out of state so that is my excuse for not attending. It does need to be easier for students and fans to get t the game, parking should be plentiful and cheap, tickets cheaper, etc.
Fran may have won more games at Iowa then anyone, (due totally to his tenure) but I don't think many here consider him "an all time great coach".

For the greatest basketball player men's or women's we've ever had? Sure it is. When she's gone it will go back to regular attendance, which is still pretty good for women's bball. Carver is fine for bball, though of course I'd like something new. The fact that Nebraska which has a worse history of NCAA tournament berths than Northwestern now has an incredible home court advantage. And of course if you notice the students are all right behind the benches w/the cheerleaders there. It's a great environment. We can talk about Fran fatigue or whatever but the facts are he's made the tournament 4 years in a row. And we've won the postseason B1g tourney one of those years. I know, he's failed in the tournament. The facts are our students are incredibly lame for a B1G school. Our student section looks like NW student section from the 80's. Have you seen Drake's student section the last 2 games? For a school of 4500 undergrad students it looks like there's 40-50% of the students there. It's packed. Whatever it takes next year make it happen. Pay the students to go. I don't give a shit but we've got to do something to get them there and get them on the court. It just shouldn't be this hard.

This is Chris Holtmann's 7th season in Columbus.

* Ohio State is currently one of the 3 worst teams in the B1G record wise. If that is the case next season, they don't make the B1G Tournament.

* Chris Holtmann’s teams have never advanced past the 1st week of the NCAA Tournament, something his predecessor, Thad Matta, managed to do 5 times in his 13 seasons.

* One of those quick exits came in 2021, when the #2 seed Buckeyes were embarrassed by #15 seed Oral Roberts.

* Last season, Ohio State finished 16-19, its worst win percentage in a season since 1997-98.

* Ohio State is 31-31 in their past 62 games going back to late February 2022.

Last edited:
This article talks about "what if" Holtmann gets fired.

Should Holtmann be fired by the school without cause, he would be owed his full remaining salary. That means that if Holtmann is fired by April 1, 2024, he would be owed about $15 million.

Chris Holtmann record year-by-year

Here is a look at how Ohio State has fared each season with Holtmann as its coach. Since starting his tenure 105-51, the Buckeyes have gone 31-31 in their past 62 games going back to late February 2022:

• 2017-18: 25-9 (15-3 Big Ten)
  • 2018-19: 20-15 (8-12)
  • 2019-20: 21-10 (11-9)
  • 2020-21: 21-10 (12-8)
  • 2021-22: 20-12 (12-8)
  • 2022-23: 16-19 (5-15)
  • 2023-24: 13-7 (3-6)

This article talks about "what if" Holtmann gets fired.

Should Holtmann be fired by the school without cause, he would be owed his full remaining salary. That means that if Holtmann is fired by April 1, 2024, he would be owed about $15 million.

Chris Holtmann record year-by-year

Here is a look at how Ohio State has fared each season with Holtmann as its coach. Since starting his tenure 105-51, the Buckeyes have gone 31-31 in their past 62 games going back to late February 2022:

• 2017-18: 25-9 (15-3 Big Ten)
  • 2018-19: 20-15 (8-12)
  • 2019-20: 21-10 (11-9)
  • 2020-21: 21-10 (12-8)
  • 2021-22: 20-12 (12-8)
  • 2022-23: 16-19 (5-15)
  • 2023-24: 13-7 (3-6)
What are you trying to say Fran, that Ohio St would have trouble coming up with 15 million....that's a laugh.

I’m to the point I’m not sure I know what a good coach is or isn’t anymore? Board to board, every time their team loses fans come up with a litany of reasons why their coach sucks and is as far as he can go….

Usually the same reasons….

I’m honestly shocked more coaches don’t win the Championship as easy as it is 🤷‍♂️

PMac now in negative values for offense and defense in Conference games
Iowa led in BPM, points / possession over avg,
  • Perkins and Freeman at .18
  • Sandfort at .12
  • Dix at .10
  • Krikke at .7
  • PMac at -0.3 (the 16% 3pt shooting definitely hurts)

giving PMac 20 min a game when he’s giving up points on the margins is probably costing IOWA wins,
for sure in these 2 and 4 point games.

Reactions: ichawk24
How the hell is Iowa a Quad 1 win.

For Iowa, it's a Quad 2 game (home vs #70 NET Ohio State).

For OSU, its a Quad 1 game (away vs #61 NET IOWA).

Quad 1: Home (1-30), Neutral (1-50), Away (1-75)

Quad 2: Home (31-75), Neutral (51-100), Away (76-135)

Current NET Rankings:

NET
Rank..Previous..Record...Road..Neutral..Home..Quad1...Quad 2...Quad 3...Quad 4

22PurdueBig Ten20-24-25-011-07-26-04-03-0
1111WisconsinBig Ten16-53-42-011-16-44-11-05-0
1212IllinoisBig Ten16-53-32-011-23-43-05-15-0
2223Michigan St.Big Ten13-81-41-211-22-72-15-04-0
5560NebraskaBig Ten16-61-51-014-13-33-33-07-0
5755NorthwesternBig Ten15-62-42-111-14-52-03-06-1
6162IowaBig Ten12-92-52-18-30-64-11-27-0
7070Ohio St.Big Ten13-80-54-09-31-40-47-05-0
7980MarylandBig Ten13-83-40-210-22-42-22-27-0
9393MinnesotaBig Ten13-72-30-111-30-33-31-19-0
9494IndianaBig Ten13-81-41-211-20-73-14-06-0
104102MichiganBig Ten7-142-51-34-62-61-53-21-1
113113RutgersBig Ten10-101-50-29-31-91-02-16-0
114114Penn St.Big Ten10-111-40-49-31-42-42-25-1

Last edited:
For the greatest basketball player men's or women's we've ever had? Sure it is. When she's gone it will go back to regular attendance, which is still pretty good for women's bball. Carver is fine for bball, though of course I'd like something new. The fact that Nebraska which has a worse history of NCAA tournament berths than Northwestern now has an incredible home court advantage. And of course if you notice the students are all right behind the benches w/the cheerleaders there. It's a great environment. We can talk about Fran fatigue or whatever but the facts are he's made the tournament 4 years in a row. And we've won the postseason B1g tourney one of those years. I know, he's failed in the tournament. The facts are our students are incredibly lame for a B1G school. Our student section looks like NW student section from the 80's. Have you seen Drake's student section the last 2 games? For a school of 4500 undergrad students it looks like there's 40-50% of the students there. It's packed. Whatever it takes next year make it happen. Pay the students to go. I don't give a shit but we've got to do something to get them there and get them on the court. It just shouldn't be this hard.
Write Beth a letter with your suggestions.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
The student section has been a black hole at Carver since 2006.
I would give away student tickets from this point forward. For those who bought tickets, I'd give them a refund or credit on football tickets, something. Empty seats don't buy popcorn, ice cream and any other concessions.

Renovating Carver will help. The endline seats are so far away from the court, by the time you're at the top of arena you are displaced from the action. But right now that's not their problem.

IF Iowa can't beat a bottom feeder like OSU at home, then who can they beat?
This seems like 80% probabilty of a win unless some freak event like OSU goes wild from 3pt line or Iowa is Brick city.

Totally agree on the premise of this post.

he does put out defensive effort. I can think of two Hawkeye players that ought to watch film on true defensive intensity and rebounding effort. Actually the coach ought to watch also.
Only 2? I can think of 3 in the starting lineup alone.

IF Iowa can't beat a bottom feeder like OSU at home, then who can they beat?
Yea, we all thought that about MI who literally is THE bottom feeder this year - so it can be done!

Uh, wut?

90% should be fired?

I think you know me well enough to know, I’m stating the ridiculousness of the sporting fan world…

And yes every coach in every fanbase doesn’t win enough, think about it. What percentage actually win championships, 1%, 2, 3…..and we are regularly calling for coaches to be fired

Iowa players need to understand their strengths and weaknesses (including Fran in use of players). These players should not be taking jump shots unless the clock in running out - Harding, Bowen, Patrick, and Dembele). I can shoot jumpers as good as them and I am a fat old man. Harding is an assist guy, Bowen is good on defense, Patrick on full court press, and Dembele on rebounding and defense. Now, lay-ups are permissible - jumpers - no.
I think Harding will eventually become a good shooter, he was in hs wasn't he?

Reactions: Bishop-71
I think you know me well enough to know, I’m stating the ridiculousness of the sporting fan world…

And yes every coach in every fanbase doesn’t win enough, think about it. What percentage actually win championships, 1%, 2, 3…..and we are regularly calling for coaches to be fired
Sorry. My sarcasm detector is on the fritz.

;)

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT