ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State 2022 commits

Yep, totally. I remember when USC was really good in the early 00s, people thought they would dominate forever. they had it all--in state talent, the cool factor, amazing campus, weather.

But they've been irrelevant since Pete Carroll left.
They were also caught cheating.

Hawkisak —

you bring up some obvious points with regards to Ohio State being the only P5 school in Ohio and Ohio being a good recruiting ground. This is a topic that’s been talked about for decades amongst Big Ten fans. But that’s just one piece of the puzzle. Why is it that Nebraska was able to dominate college football for so many years and is considered a blue blood when they are the only P5 school in a state that produces less talent than Iowa? Why has UCLA in an unbelievably fertile recruiting area been down for as long as it has been? Why is it Wisconsin has consistently been as competitive and as good as they are when Wisconsin doesn’t produce that much more talent than Iowa? Why over the past so many years has Florida State and Miami floundered when they are in arguably the best talent rich state in the country? The point is it’s more than just how many good kids are in your home state. It’s having the right staff the right coaches having everybody on the same page etc. Listen to the little six minute video that’s in this thread and that tells you really all you need to know. I know nobody likes Nebraska around here and so you don’t like me bringing them up but if the NeBraska can be a blue blood in college football and I realize. their prime days are way in the rearview mirror at this point but if Nebraska can have had the kind of success they’ve had in past decades then really any power five school in the country can duplicate their success with the right coaches and direction etc. because again Nebraska basically produces next to zero division one talent year after year.
10 point Buck,
You make some good points here and I'll try to respond to several individually:
1) Nebraska-They are a blue blood in the same way that Indiana basketball is a blue blood. They played in Big 8 and eventually the Big 12. In their glory days of the 60's and 70's, there were essentially no scholarship limits and they played a style of football that was emulated by every high school in state etc. From the mid 70's to the mid 90's, there were very few restrictions on players and Nebraska was very good at using JUCO's and many of the old prop 48 players that would not have been accepted in the Big 10. This certainly has played a role in their program becoming much more mediocre over the last 25 years. Also the 85 scholarship limited leveled the field a bit too.
2) UCLA is a great academic institution. There is not a lot of wiggle room with questionable academic prospects. In addition, they've lost an entire generation of fans now. USC is better at keeping talent at home but SoCal provides talents to much of the Pac12 and exports many too to other top programs such as ND, OSU, Michigan (not top right now) etc.
3) Wisconsin (and Iowa to a lesser extent) have developed a consistent system which focuses on player development. The ability to coach up 3 star kids and get many to the NFL is appealing to hard working kids that have drive. The thing that hold both back is the number of elite players that OSU and PSU have had on the field particularly at the skill positions and QB. Obviously, Wisconsin has had great backs and some good WR's too, but the QB's have been more game managers. Some still got NFL time but again that's all due to Chryst's excellent QB development.
4) The last piece is intangibles. Things like facilities, airport access, ability to visit on their own, perception etc. For example, many kids have a perception of Iowa until they officially visit and then find out that Iowa City is a lot different than being in the middle of a farm in small town Iowa. Kids that want an urban experience will like Columbus for example.

Yes, things can happen. Programs can rise up and catch fire with the proper coaches, etc. The new era with NIL, early NFL entrants etc., is going to make the rich richer IMO. There are so many more players in the south today and the populations shifts do not favor the Big Ten in the long run. One thing is for sure, as long as OSU keeps winning, the rest of us are happy about the Big Ten revenue sharing arrangement!

Last edited:
I lived in Iowa for 20 plus years after coming out to go to school in Fort Dodge ( before I moved back home to Columbus) and I have a lot of friends in Iowa that are Iowa fans, I lived in Ames as well and I have been to many games in Kinnick as the person I was dating at the time was an alum and had season tickets, so I would always chat with Iowa fans on this board and they never seemed to mind the perspective from someone who wasn't a fan of Iowa.
That makes sense, thank you. I think that is probably the exception. I appreciate your insight.

I would bet since Urban took over in 2012, maybe 30-35% of OSU's recruits have come from Ohio. We were always a national program before Urban but he took it to another level. Mark Pantoni, assistant athletic director for player personnel, and his staff do an unbelievable job in film evaluation and every other aspect in getting recruits on campus. It doesn't hurt that our track record of producing 1st round picks in recent years attracts the top talent.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
hawkeyes-win-780x405.png
Being serious, I might (more than likely) not live to ever see this type of score vs. Buckeyes again....when I was watching it, it was like an out of body experience and I wasn't really sure that it was actually happening....until I saw the 'Woodshed' headline the next morning.;)

This has been discussed to ad nauseum. Nebraska was able to "dominate" college football for sometime due to:
  1. They were able to sign players not eligible in other conferences. Nebraska started to see a step back after joining the Big 12 which required academic standards-- which is why the football program didn't want to join the Big 12 in the first place (only Big 8 school to do so.)
  2. They often had one game per year-- Oklahoma.
  3. Players were allowed to beat women, shoot at people, and get DUI's with little to no punishment.
  4. Their coach intervened in police matters and hid evidence from the police to protect his players
With being in the B1G and having to adhere to the same academic standards other P5 schools have in addition to social media and news not being able to be swept under the rug they are not going to be as dominate as they once were. Ever. They may have a year here or there just as Illinois does, but right now they are on a path of suck.... and most people love it.
1) is patently false. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado and Missouri were all in the Big 8, subsequently joining the Big XII. The fact Colorado and Missouri have since bailed has a LOT more to do with the old $outhwest Conference members they joined than it did their Big 8 co-members. Ditto Arkansas leaving the $WC for the $EC

Once Devaney was gone, they actually took 20 years to win a NC.

1) is patently false. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado and Missouri were all in the Big 8, subsequently joining the Big XII. The fact Colorado and Missouri have since bailed has a LOT more to do with the old $outhwest Conference members they joined than it did their Big 8 co-members. Ditto Arkansas leaving the $WC for the $EC

Once Devaney was gone, they actually took 20 years to win a NC.
Nothing of what you just said indicates #1 to be incorrect.

Being serious, I might (more than likely) not live to ever see this type of score vs. Buckeyes again....when I was watching it, it was like an out of body experience and I wasn't really sure that it was actually happening....until I saw the 'Woodshed' headline the next morning.;)

Yeah, when we were still tied 17-all, then Stanley threw away that ball on third down, I thought, "This is it. Now the beatdown begins."

Lo, and behold, Nick Bosa and his head-butt, then Stanley hitting Fant perfectly on a TE fly pattern was a shock. When we went up 31-17 at half, I thought, "They'll probably come back." But things kept getting worse for O$U. And the reincarnation of JT Barrett's Heisman campaign died its second death.

But it was such a disappointment to follow that up with losses to WI and Purdue. A loss to Nebraska would have resulted in a 6-6 regular season. Thankfully, that game--tied 14-all at half--became a nice season-ending beatdown for a Thanksgiving weekend.

Still, we wasted that O$U win, in a lot of ways.

You said Nebraska was the only Big 8 team to join the Big XII. Completely false. ALL the Big 8 teams joined.
No, I said
“which is why the [Nebraska] football program didn't want to join the Big 12 in the first place (only Big 8 school to do so.)”

Osborne didn’t want to because of the academic requirements Texas required before they would join. All the other schools in the Big 8 were cool with actual academic standards.

And that decision would mean in Division 1 FBS alone ~650 players that would have had scholarships won't.
You could handle it like the draft. Top 5 teams only get 20 scholarship, top 25 get 23, everyone else gets 25. Something like that.

10 point Buck,
You make some good points here and I'll try to respond to several individually:
1) Nebraska-They are a blue blood in the same way that Indiana basketball is a blue blood. They played in Big 8 and eventually the Big 12. In their glory days of the 60's and 70's, there were essentially no scholarship limits and they played a style of football that was emulated by every high school in state etc. From the mid 70's to the mid 90's, there were very few restrictions on players and Nebraska was very good at using JUCO's and many of the old prop 48 players that would not have been accepted in the Big 10. This certainly has played a role in their program becoming much more mediocre over the last 25 years. Also the 85 scholarship limited leveled the field a bit too.
2) UCLA is a great academic institution. There is not a lot of wiggle room with questionable academic prospects. In addition, they've lost an entire generation of fans now. USC is better at keeping talent at home but SoCal provides talents to much of the Pac12 and exports many too to other top programs such as ND, OSU, Michigan (not top right now) etc.
3) Wisconsin (and Iowa to a lesser extent) have developed a consistent system which focuses on player development. The ability to coach up 3 star kids and get many to the NFL is appealing to hard working kids that have drive. The thing that hold both back is the number of elite players that OSU and PSU have had on the field particularly at the skill positions and QB. Obviously, Wisconsin has had great backs and some good WR's too, but the QB's have been more game managers. Some still got NFL time but again that's all due to Chryst's excellent QB development.
4) The last piece is intangibles. Things like facilities, airport access, ability to visit on their own, perception etc. For example, many kids have a perception of Iowa until they officially visit and then find out that Iowa City is a lot different than being in the middle of a farm in small town Iowa. Kids that want an urban experience will like Columbus for example.

Yes, things can happen. Programs can rise up and catch fire with the proper coaches, etc. The new era with NIL, early NFL entrants etc., is going to make the rich richer IMO. There are so many more players in the south today and the populations shifts do not favor the Big Ten in the long run. One thing is for sure, as long as OSU keeps winning, the rest of us are happy about the Big Ten revenue sharing arrangement!
Hawkisak —

yes UCLA has higher standards than a lot of other schools but just look at what Stanford and Northwestern and Duke and Notre Dame have been able to do over the past 10 to 15 years and it kind of shoots that theory down.

Perhaps the environment was easier for Nebraska in the B8/B12. But I think the larger issue with Nebraska is that they just haven’t been able to find the right combination of coaches and direction since Tom Osborne left.

I attended Ohio State from 1982 through 1987 so those were the Earle Bruce years. In those days Ohio State was an easier institution to get in to and our requirements for not only non-student athletes but student athletes was considerably less than what it is now. Well if you know anything about Earle Bruce his moniker at Ohio State was ‘ole 9-3 Earle’. In the 90s Gordon Gee came in as president and Ohio State really started to tighten admission requirements and the whole 9 yards and it’s continued to this day even more. Despite the fact that John Cooper could not beat Michigan he was more successful record wise then Earle Bruce. When Jim Tressel came in the requirements were even higher and as you know ‘Jim did better than John. I don’t think I need to explain to you how Urban did and now how Ryan’ is doing.

The point in this and referencing Nebraska is it may be easy on the surface to blame it on easier standards in the B12 and so forth but the larger issue is not only has Nebraska not found the right set of coaches and direction is that they don’t have the same synergy surrounding that program anymore. You could say it’s a program that’s lost trying to find its direction and identity. If Nebraska gets the right guy with the right message and the right energy once again, Big Ten standards are not going to hold them back. I have serious doubts they will ever achieve Mid90s status again. Enough about Nebraska.

Hawkisak —

you bring up some obvious points with regards to Ohio State being the only P5 school in Ohio and Ohio being a good recruiting ground. This is a topic that’s been talked about for decades amongst Big Ten fans. But that’s just one piece of the puzzle. Why is it that Nebraska was able to dominate college football for so many years and is considered a blue blood when they are the only P5 school in a state that produces less talent than Iowa? Why has UCLA in an unbelievably fertile recruiting area been down for as long as it has been? Why is it Wisconsin has consistently been as competitive and as good as they are when Wisconsin doesn’t produce that much more talent than Iowa? Why over the past so many years has Florida State and Miami floundered when they are in arguably the best talent rich state in the country? The point is it’s more than just how many good kids are in your home state. It’s having the right staff the right coaches having everybody on the same page etc. Listen to the little six minute video that’s in this thread and that tells you really all you need to know. I know nobody likes Nebraska around here and so you don’t like me bringing them up but if the NeBraska can be a blue blood in college football and I realize their prime days are way in the rearview mirror at this point but if Nebraska can have had the kind of success they’ve had in past decades then really any power five school in the country can duplicate their success with the right coaches and direction etc. because again Nebraska basically produces next to zero division one talent year after year.

You keep referring to Nebraska as a "blue blood",.. I don't think you know what that term means.

You keep referring to Nebraska as a "blue blood",.. I don't think you know what that term means.
I think I know what it means what do you think it means?
Nebraska obviously was at one point, as was Minnesota. Obviously Minnesota hasn’t been one for a long long time. I don’t know what the expiration time is for Nebraska exactly but they still rank in the top five or six in all time wins, winning percentage, national championships, and things of that nature so they probably have a little bit more time but their blue blood status if it hasn’t already run out is getting to be closer and closer considering that the 21st century has been a complete bust for them.

Nebraska obviously was at one point, as was Minnesota. Obviously Minnesota hasn’t been one for a long long time. I don’t know what the expiration time is for Nebraska exactly but they still rank in the top five or six in all time wins, winning percentage, national championships, and things of that nature so they probably have a little bit more time but their blue blood status if it hasn’t already run out is getting to be closer and closer considering that the 21st century has been a complete bust for them.
I am no Nebraska apologist, nor fan but you might want to re-examine your definition of “complete bust”. Since the turn of the century they have had an 11 win season, 5 ten win seasons, and six 9 win seasons. I also realize they have 7 losing record years, including the last several in a row, but overall in that time I believe they only have 5 total less wins than Iowa. I think you over reached.

This is why expanding the playoffs is dumb. There are only a few teams each year good enough to win it and it mostly has to do with the level they recruit at. OSU is going to be winning the conference for the foreseeable future unless for some reason Day leaves and their next coach isn't any good.

Here's the one saving grace about OSU recruiting all of these players.

You only put 11 guys on the field at a time. If we can get guys to stay with the program long enough to develop and keep them healthy, we can compete with OSU in any one game.

When you think about the disadvantages that Iowa has, we really outperform what should be realistic expectations almost every year. 2nd smallest state population in the conference. Have to compete against another Power 5 school in the state for recruits. In the far western part of the conference footprint, so we aren't as desirable of a location as other schools.

Just ranking population advantages of schools, they go like this.
OSU (11.6MM)
Illinois (13MM/1.2 = 10.8MM) [the extra .2 is because of NW having some footprint in state]
Rutgers (9MM)
PSU (13MM/2 = 6.5MM)
Michigan (10MM/2 = 5MM but recruits nationally so they jump the ones below)
Maryland (6MM)
Wisconsin (5.8MM)
Minnesota (5.5MM)
MSU (10MM/2 = 5MM)
Purdue (6.7MM/2.2 = 3MM) [the extra .2 is because of ND]
Indiana (6.7MM/2.2 = 3MM) [the extra .2 is because of ND]
Nebraska (2MM)
Iowa (3.1MM/2 = 1.5MM)
Northwestern [in-state recruiting is only a small portion of their roster]

No one else in the conference has the potential to be a national champion threat,.. Success breeds success.

Our 6 game winning streak will breed another 6 game winning streak and then another 6 game winning streak, which of course, means

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

No, I said
“which is why the [Nebraska] football program didn't want to join the Big 12 in the first place (only Big 8 school to do so.)”

Osborne didn’t want to because of the academic requirements Texas required before they would join. All the other schools in the Big 8 were cool with actual academic standards.
So to clarify: you're saying they are the only Big 8 that did NOT want to join? If that's the case, my bad, I took it as they were the only Big 8 school to join Big XII.

In reality, where else could they have gone? I guess the bigger question should be, Why did B1G want them? (Nebby fans may not like the answer, BTW)

LOL. I love it when someone says something stupid, then later claims it was a joke.
I didn't think I needed to preface it as a joke as it seemed pretty obvious. I mean, do you really think someone would believe the B1G was intentionally not scheduling Iowa to play Ohio State because they were afraid Ohio State would lose and thus hurt the B1G's chances at a national title?

I agree with you. The move to the B1G didn't help Nebraska from a competitive standpoint, but it has/will be from a financial standpoint.

It's unlikely the Huskers will ever be dominant again for any extended period. The longer the drought goes for them, it becomes an even bigger battle to be even "middle of the pack".

Our 6 game winning streak will breed another 6 game winning streak and then another 6 game winning streak, which of course, means

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
I'm bored in a conference call, so i looked at the schedule and made an assumption that these were individual 6 game winning streaks, separated by a loss:

L - Indiana
W - ISU, Kent State, Colorado State, Maryland, Penn St, Purdue
L - WI
W - NW, Minn, Illinois, Nebraska, B1G Champion... then either bowl game or CFP semi final?

L - either NC game, or first game of '22.

Man, getting to the NC game, even if we got Stanford Rose Bowl'd in it, would be awesome.

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
I am no Nebraska apologist, nor fan but you might want to re-examine your definition of “complete bust”. Since the turn of the century they have had an 11 win season, 5 ten win seasons, and six 9 win seasons. I also realize they have 7 losing record years, including the last several in a row, but overall in that time I believe they only have 5 total less wins than Iowa. I think you over reached.
Fair enough. I guess if the benchmark for those statistics is Maryland or Arkansas or Kansas then the 21st century has been great for those teams. I guess I’m saying it’s a bust for Nebraska based upon their historical standards and what I know they expect to see. They haven’t won a conference championship since the year they got spanked by Miami in the national championship game. So fair enough I just know that their fan base is beyond frustrated and not happy and that includes the Pellini years where they were winning nine games each year.

So to clarify: you're saying they are the only Big 8 that did NOT want to join? If that's the case, my bad, I took it as they were the only Big 8 school to join Big XII.

In reality, where else could they have gone? I guess the bigger question should be, Why did B1G want them? (Nebby fans may not like the answer, BTW)
Yes, when I said "which is why the [Nebraska] football program didn't want to join the Big 12 in the first place (only Big 8 school to do so.)" I meant " they are the only Big 8 that did NOT want to join [the Big 12]".

They had no where else to go if they wanted to stay in a conference. All the other major conferences had academic requirements so it was be independent, join a 3rd rate conference, or begin adhering to academic requirements and join the Big 12.

Why did the B1G want Nebraska? Footprint mainly. Nebraska has a lot of fans and that means TV's. Nebraska was also coming off some 10 win seasons in the Big12. In addition, the thought at the time was Nebraska part of the AAU which was a prereq for B1G schools. Shortly after joining the B1G they became the only school to be kicked out of the AAU for lack of academics. Had they not been in the AAU at the time, they would not have been invited to the B1G.

Have you looked at the Buckeye commits for 2022? I'm not sure how that school gets the recruits they get and I'm not sure how the rest of the Big Ten can compete year in and year out when one school continues to have that advantage. No one else in the conference is even close to their recruiting.

No one else in the conference has the potential to be a national champion threat,.. Success breeds success.
And to think, I just bagged on Rifler for his judgment in another thread. He's as coolly logical as Aristotle next to Abby.

I've said this before. You limit the number to a cap of 20 annually and 75 total. This would free up the other 5 currently to choose another school. This trickle down would lessen the impact of hoarding at the top schools and add more talent at the less prominent ones. Another benefit, players have do decide earlier to get their spot on the bus. 😎❤️🏈
Agree, I've been saying that the past couple years that it's time for the NCAA to drop the number of schollies a school can have. tOSU, Bama and the rest of the CFP super powers can take all the 5* kids, but that leaves a lot of 4* that would go to places like Iowa and bring more parity. I don't know about everyone else, but I get tired of the CFP Playoffs seemingly having the same four teams year after year.

Nebraska’s 1990 reign was also helped by a cutting edge strength and conditioning program; they were miles ahead of most at the time. Pretty much all P5 programs have caught up in that regard. A culture of steroid use also helped make the 70s, 80s & 90s for them.

If we're having an underachiever competition, OSU isn't in the same league as teams like Michigan, Texas and USC who are perennial top 10 recruiters and have done absolutely nothing with it in the past 10 years.
Texas is the biggest head scratcher of all. They should be Alabama. That state has a ton of talent. I am puzzled how Alabama does it($$$$$$$$$$$$$;^)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT