ADVERTISEMENT

Ok What was Kriner doing dunking at end of game.

Absolutely not a problem ... you play with swagger and intensity and you play out the whole 40 minutes. I have no problem with his dunk.

The only problem was that flagrant elbow thrown by the UConn player .

That needs to be reviewed by the commissioners office and that player needs to be suspended .

Some of you guys myself included have been on these guys for years about playing with intensity and toughness and when someone finally does then you get all riled up about it.

Spot on.....how many times do we b!tch that the Hawks have no killer instinct in the past? Barely hanging on in some wins? Great end IMO. Statement dunk! Ive stated it in other replies but guarding up top like the Uconn player was doing with 20 seconds left was B.S IMO. Acting like their down 1 instead of 20!

I hope this isn't true.. no apology necessary ... you play until the final horn and you play with swagger ...you want intensity or you want your big men to play soft ...if Fran asked him to apologize that would be the only mistake Fran had made the whole week .
Not when the other team has stopped playing defense. If uconn was up in our shorts trying for a steal, go for it. But they conceded and stop any pressure.

There’s a difference between playing with intensity and being a classless douche. Kriener seems like an OK kid, but that was a mistake that might make people who don’t know him think he is the latter.

Remember when Fran didn’t let the team shake hands after the North Dakota game a couple of years ago? There are unwritten rules when it comes to sportsmship.
I new we had this happen to us and there were quite a few upset. Thanks for remembering.
I wish he had not done it. The expresion TC had after it says it all.

I thought the funniest part of all that was Tyler Cooks reaction. He was like what did he just do.

To be honest I found the dunk uncalled for but funny at the same time. How Ryan apologized via Fran I found to make the uncalled part of it better.
Sorry i repeated similar to you. had not finished reading all responses. That was funny.

All I care about is we are good again. I guess it's good that instead of complaining about a shit defense we are complaining because we are dunking on a decent team after we are blowing them out.

Reactions: kceasthawk
When exactly did these freaking ‘unwritten rules’ come into basketball? This whole idea that both teams have to quit playing with ‘x’ number of seconds is ridiculous. I especially hate this when teams finally get to unload their bench and the guys that have busting their butts in practice and off season workouts get into the game and then are told ‘don’t play - just stand their dribbling the ball’. I want those guys from both teams chucking up shots! If you can’t handle it get off the court. Give me a freaking break with this bull crap. Play out the entire game.

Reactions: sob5
When exactly did these freaking ‘unwritten rules’ come into basketball? This whole idea that both teams have to quit playing with ‘x’ number of seconds is ridiculous. I especially hate this when teams finally get to unload their bench and the guys that have busting their butts in practice and off season workouts get into the game and then are told ‘don’t play - just stand their dribbling the ball’. I want those guys from both teams chucking up shots! If you can’t handle it get off the court. Give me a freaking break with this bull crap. Play out the entire game.

I can't pinpoint the exact time/date, but this isn't just a college thing now it's extended to the NBA too. Pretty much of the defense is conceding and saying "you have won" and the shot clock is turned off you just dribble it out. I guarantee you Fran would have been pissed had Iowa been trailing by 17 the reverse happened. Not a huge deal either way.

I new we had this happen to us and there were quite a few upset. Thanks for remembering.
I wish he had not done it. The expresion TC had after it says it all.

If I remember that North Dakota game, there were issues leading up to the end. A hard foul on Jok perhaps under a minute left and the coach calling a timeout after they hit a 3 to cut the lead to 9 with 20 seconds left or something like that?

Reactions: kceasthawk
If I remember that North Dakota game, there were issues leading up to the end. A hard foul on Jok perhaps under a minute left and the coach calling a timeout after they hit a 3 to cut the lead to 9 with 20 seconds left or something like that?

There is a difference between executing a dirty play at the end and contuing to play it out. I hate this the most when the deep bench guys finally get a little PT and they essentially can’t play then. What?

I don't care for the dunk, but to those who advocate "boots on the throat" and that this makes us some kind of tough. No. Playing the way we played for fourty minutes showed we were tough. A last second uncontested dunk when you are up by 20 shows me nothing.

I love this team and Connor is one savvy, tough, smart addition.

Reactions: HawkPT and Y2KG21
In golf match play you can concede the hole. Why not just give each coach a white flag that they can elect to raise to concede the game so we don’t have to go through this weak sauce, hurt feelings final minutes of a decided game baloney.

Reactions: hawksense
Class and UConn should never be used in the same sentence...fans, coach, or players...

This. Fugg UConn, their dickbag coach, players and fans. I wish Kriener would have cleaned the floor with that punk too.

I don't know when this stuff started--just holding the ball for the final possession, standing around as the last 20 seconds or so go off the clock while the handshake line starts and the damn game is still going, but it's freakin' stupid and should stop. If you don't want to keep playing, then hand the ball to the officials and leave the court. But I have always HATED the way games end since that started, no matter which side of the score Iowa is on.

Also, UConn WAS trying to defend clear out near midcourt when it was obvious Iowa was just going to let the clock run out. The UConn guys were still swiping at the ball, and I think Connor, or whoever it was, finally got tired of it and said "OK. Screw you," and tossed the ball to Kreiner who dunked it.

I would have been fine with NOT dunking it. And I understand why Kreiner feels bad about it, but what the hell, UConn? Those guys are whiny thugs, just like their coach and their awful "fans," and so as an Iowa fan I figure they all deserved it.

Bottom line: Iowa is playing with the swagger, intensity, and toughness that even Fran's best Iowa teams have generally lacked. If a game-ending dunk hurts the other guy's feelings, too damn bad. As others have said, if ya don't like it, do something about it.

I’d say do something like that to ISU or UNI. But not to UConn. I know their players were running their mouths and were playing dirty for majority of the game. But it’s back to the Barry Sanders quote “act like you’ve been there before”. I didn’t care for it personally, but it’s done.

Dunk was no big deal, but I don't think it had anything to do with showing any toughness or putting a foot on throat of an opponent. How they played during the game was how they showed toughness.

I love Connor's game - Smart, savvy and tough. Big, big plus so far. He has controlled the tempo andplays pretty good defense, esp. for a freshman.

Guarantee Bohannon doesn't throw that pass down to Kriener if that dork wasn't pissing with him while dribbling the clock out. If you don't want to get dunked on then back off and put your hands on your hips.
This right here. Ryan didn’t need to do it but there was a reason he ended up with the ball down low. Because their guards had no problem extending the game. Tough **** UConn.

Reactions: Cardsnhawks
Kriener got “bumped” at least four times during dead balls situations during the game.
Yeah he seems to immediately get on opponent's nerves. When he enters the game my attention is somewhat diverted to Kriener to start looking for this game-within-the-game entertainment. Pretty amusing, actually.

I also just love how hard Kriener plays. If Cook keeps playing as hard as he did in MSG, he, Garza, Kriener, and Baer are going to annoy damn near everybody. LOL then if Pemsl comes back, his spot minutes might just drive guys over the edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
regarding the dunk at the end, there is a reason Kriener and Fran apologized after the game. Teachable moment...its not like this group has had a lot of experience with commanding leads against high profile programs as the clock winds down. Great win, Fran apologized to start of the presser on behalf of Kriener, everyone moves on.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
You're goddamned right. Beaker Hurley was calling timeouts and attempting to coach every time his team cut it to under 20.

BOOTS ON THROATS. Put that on the backs of the jerseys.
Some of the camera pan-ins on Hurley revealed a common Tom Crean-like resemblance with some of those stupid sneers he used to make.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I agree with those who said if UConn stops playing, then you just dribble it out. UConn is about as classless as it gets and at least some of them were still playing, so I don't have any problems with Kriener dunking. I didn't see the elbow, but if it happened, that player should sit the next game. I love Iowa's intensity and aggressiveness, and hope it continues.

I was surprised that Fran didn't put in the bench guys with about 1-2 minutes to go. It would have given them all a chance to play in the Garden, would have guarded against any freak injuries (like from an elbow), and would have been the classiest thing to do IMO.

I'm not a Steve Spurrier fan, but I am a fan of his, "It's not my job to stop us from scoring" mentality. Choke on deez nutz, Huskies. May Hurley and those jackass fans still be gagging on Hawk pubes on Thursday as they sit down to their turkey.
LOL. That’s funny right there.

I do believe that Kreiner thought there was more time left. The way he was sprinting back to play defense afterwards kind of reinforces that.

Had he known, I doubt he dunks and in that situation, he shouldn't have. Take a shot clock violation and shake hands.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Just glad they were up so big that we are having this conversation.

Reactions: haightt
Had the defender just let JBo dribble out the clock it would have been unnecessary but since he kept dogging JBo okay then take this.
Yup, that's how I saw it. Unfortunately my DVR stopped with about 3 minutes to go so I can't review it.

I think JBo would have dribbled out the shot clock if the UConn guy would have stayed back but he decided to dog him. JBo says, "OK. You want to play more ball? Let's lay more ball." For Kreiner I thought good reaction by the big guy. No problem at all.

I do believe that Kreiner thought there was more time left. The way he was sprinting back to play defense afterwards kind of reinforces that.

Had he known, I doubt he dunks and in that situation, he shouldn't have. Take a shot clock violation and shake hands.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Just glad they were up so big that we are having this conversation.
Pretty sure if the shot clock ran out UConn would have grabbed the ball and hauled ass for another score.

Maybe the boys didn't want to turn it over on a shot clock violation? Maybe Kreiner wanted to pad his stats? Maybe the mouthy and kind of dirty U Conn players got under his skin? Maybe the drama queen on the U Conn bench got under his skin.

Who cares. Its not like we had 'em down 20 and had starters throwing up 3s with a minute left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT