ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State Grades

CaliHawkFan

HR All-American
Sep 24, 2006
125- D...we have to be more aggressive on our feet. Have to wrestle smarter.
133- B... thought he wrestled a pretty good match, good first period. Kudos for keeping cool. Fix is tough.
141- D... not an F because he battled late. Maybe a lost cause for this season.
149- A... way to go Lugo. Great showing
157- B... needed a major
165- A... wrestling possessed
174- C... an obvious talent gap, had a couple nice shots
184- D... we got the bad Cash today.
197- B... like the tank, bad strategy, had one nice shot. I like the confidence.
285- NA... can barely wrestle

I wish I didn’t have half of our line-up graded at a C or worse in the biggest dual of year.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
125 - NA. That is not Lee out there, but his doppleganger.
133 - C. You have to have offensive attempts if you want to win.
141 - C. You have to have offensive attempts earlier if you want to win.
149 - A. Wrestled smart and tough.
157 - B. The entire match was thinking the win versus a major.
165 - A. Relentless.
174 - F. You had one job . . . not get pinned. You failed.
184 - D. I will be glad when Wilcke is gone or replaced.
197 - D. If not for penalty points you're dominated. Taken down, reversed, ponied.
HWT - D. At least go for the throw when locked up. What do you have to lose?

125- Lee was done at the point he gave Picc the escape, tank was empty. Last year he could impose his will on pretty much anyone from top, not there now. His strength and stamina just are not there. That top domination is what makes him special. Side note he has been playing with fire on with that splits position having the head right by the leg, only a matter of time until he got burned.

133- He battled hard, just could not quite get off bottom. I'd probably pick neutral next time.

141- Only shot he took was the one he scored on late. Matches don't win themselves.

149- Nice job executing on a funky guy. His tank has gotten a lot better.

157- A guy he should be able to major.

165- That's how you do it.

174- He wrestled scared and it showed in the results.

184- See 141, matches don't win themselves.

197- This was a tough match up, I thought he did pretty well considering. Poor strategy in the 3rd.

285- Not enough of Sam left to beat top 5 guys.

I see 125 and 165 as sure AAs. 133, 149, 157 and 197 as likely AAs. 184 and 285 as hopeful AAs and 141 and 174 as not likely AAs.

Here is a question for you guys. How can the Hawks go 6 matches without a takedown and not change their strategy? There has to be something else to do from neutral than bang the head and push. I watch the Hawks scramble with the best of them. They hardly ever lose a scramble. Why not create some action and create some scrambles and use your conditioning. This pulling the head is not wearing guys out and scoring points. I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

Maybe it is the kids they recruit. I watched Abe Assad last weekend. He is another straight forward, push, snap, and shoot straight ahead kind of kid. Is it that they are recruiting kids who can only do that or are they teaching that way? I seem to remember Warner being an offensive juggernaut in high school. ????

125- Lee was done at the point he gave Picc the escape, tank was empty. Last year he could impose his will on pretty much anyone from top, not there now. His strength and stamina just are not there. That top domination is what makes him special. Side note he has been playing with fire on with that splits position having the head right by the leg, only a matter of time until he got burned.

133- He battled hard, just could not quite get off bottom. I'd probably pick neutral next time.

141- Only shot he took was the one he scored on late. Matches don't win themselves.

197- This was a tough match up, I thought he did pretty well considering. Poor strategy in the 3rd.

I see 125 and 165 as sure AAs. 133, 149, 157 and 197 as likely AAs. 184 and 285 as hopeful AAs and 141 and 174 as not likely AAs.
Love your "matches don't win themselves" comments.

And Lee was done the second Pic escaped. He had that look in his face and he was immediately sluggish.

Here is a question for you guys. How can the Hawks go 6 matches without a takedown and not change their strategy? There has to be something else to do from neutral than bang the head and push. I watch the Hawks scramble with the best of them. They hardly ever lose a scramble. Why not create some action and create some scrambles and use your conditioning. This pulling the head is not wearing guys out and scoring points. I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

Maybe it is the kids they recruit. I watched Abe Assad last weekend. He is another straight forward, push, snap, and shoot straight ahead kind of kid. Is it that they are recruiting kids who can only do that or are they teaching that way? I seem to remember Warner being an offensive juggernaut in high school. ????
So was Jason T-shirt. Did northwestern teach him otherwise? Have you ever asked any of these kids how tough the heads hand defense is at this level? You might actually be surprised why there isn’t as many shots as there is

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi

The shoot part of the push snap shoot is lacking,

Reactions: lookleft goright
More thoughts than grades:

125: paradox. Easily a 9-10 point swing (or more) on some other day.

133: Fix is super technical and real tough in his defense. Boring leg ride. AD showed grace in defeat.

141: best match I've seen from Brock this year. Murin is close, but still doing freshman things. Round of 12 if wrestling well.

149: Lugo's best match of the year. Keep it going.

157: would like to see some killer instinct from Young--get that major.

165: Bull leading the team in every way. Lucky to have him.

174: good heart; missing Kem.

184: it is what it is--frustrating at times because it could be more.

197: feel like we could've pulled this one out today (experienced SR over inexperienced FR). Like this Warner better than the Midlands version.

HWT: some decent energy/movement out of Stoll today against a top guy.

Overall: enjoyed watching, despite the outcome. We saw OSU's best today; one hopes the best for the Hawks is yet to come.

Spencer was gassed, one has to wonder if he’ll ever be right again. Season long ordeal and has yet to improve. If it is mono that would be twice for him. He hasn’t had a tank all season. Picc is good, but he isn’t on Spencer’s level when he is 100%

The mood around here would be a lot different if Spencer won. Ride and die with him emotionally seems like. Not other result was a surprise besides that. We lost all the toss ups but one. Get the losses out of the way this year and learn from them for next year.
Warner should’ve won, go on your feet with Weigel he was gassed. Stoll isn’t even a shell of his former self. Guy has no moves in any position

Warner should’ve won, go on your feet with Weigel he was gassed. Stoll isn’t even a shell of his former self. Guy has no moves in any position
What was he doing riding in the 3rd. He needed a TD and forget about lowering the locked riding time. Really stupid strategy. That game plan deserved to lose.

Reactions: TarpHawk and ff141

I've been nervously saying this to my Dad the last two years. Gilman-Moisey is burned in my mind. I said going into this year that the only way he loses again is if he gets crunched in those splits. Obviously not completely correct, but the point remains.

I'm concerned, don't know what the problem is, this is not the same guy as the end of last year.
He is technically superior to these guys, physically something is wrong, they didn't close the gap like this in one year .
He went from pinning Pic on the way to a tech to being unable to score a TD or even hold him down, let alone turn him, but instead getting pinned.

Something is wrong with the young lad.

125 D A lot has been said already. Obviously, he's not firing on all cylinders right now. I thought he did a decent job in the first getting in deep twice, but couldn't finish. He was done when Picc got away.

133 B A high grade for a loss, but I think he looked good in defeat. I've never seen someone move Daton Fix like that. Not sure what to do going forward regarding choice. I say if you get choice in the second, you go down. At least gives you a chance to come back in the third if you get ridden. If you're down 1-0 heading into the third, take your chances on your feet. One thing is clear that I would have considered crazy 2 months ago: Austin Desanto is a legit title contender this year.

141 B Nightmare matchup for Murin, and that's also the best I've seen Brock wrestle this year. He seems to be putting it together. He gets a B because he showed some grit getting himself back into the match late and was a swipe away from sending it to OT, but he was outclassed on his feet overall, and he's not a strong enough mat wrestler and scrambler to exploit Brock's weaknesses.

149 A That's the best he's looked all year in my opinion. I said last week he needed a second attack to keep guys from keying in on his high crotch and he hit a beautiful sweep right away. Opened up his high crotch later on. He's definitely a guy that can get rolling after an early takedown.

157 B+ Open up young man. He took 2 shots and they were both excellent. Good controlled win, but that could be a major if he opens up.

165 A Clutch pin against an over matched opponent.

174 D Felt that was coming the whole match. Bowman scraps, but has poor awareness. You have to know that's Rogers' best hold, and stay away.

184 C Smith is very good, but Wilcke has to open up. Thought he started out well with a good handfight and activity, but never fully committed to an attack. Once Smith secured a lead he could sit and just reattack which is what he's best at.

197 B- I thought Warner wrestled really hard, but made a really really bad mistake in the third that essentially ended the match. Weigel is very good too. There was definitely a lot to build on in this match, and Warner has been making steady improvement since Midlands. Midlands Warner would have broken after that early takedown.

285 C He was competitive, but is clearly limited. He'll be in the hunt to place, but won't contend with the top guys. Feel bad for the big fella. He's been very unlucky.

Overall: The people calling for Brands to be fired are great caricatures of the uneducated fans that call into sports radio shows. The hawks got beat by a very good team on the road. This wasn't like the Iowa State meet either. Ok State has been wrestling better this year and showed it today, but let's not pretend that Iowa hasn't been incredibly unlucky this year. Spencer is struggling with something, we lost Kemerer who is our second best wrestler in my opinion, and obviously Stoll is not healthy either. That's our 3 highest returners not being 100%, and we expect this team to be lights out? On the positive side, Desanto has emerged as a title contender and that will be huge for next year. Kaleb Young is wrestling well. Marinelli has been a danger to society. Overall, I think every wrestler who is healthy is noticeably better this year than last year, and they'll all be back next year.

125 D A lot has been said already. Obviously, he's not firing on all cylinders right now. I thought he did a decent job in the first getting in deep twice, but couldn't finish. He was done when Picc got away.

133 B A high grade for a loss, but I think he looked good in defeat. I've never seen someone move Daton Fix like that. Not sure what to do going forward regarding choice. I say if you get choice in the second, you go down. At least gives you a chance to come back in the third if you get ridden. If you're down 1-0 heading into the third, take your chances on your feet. One thing is clear that I would have considered crazy 2 months ago: Austin Desanto is a legit title contender this year.

141 B Nightmare matchup for Murin, and that's also the best I've seen Brock wrestle this year. He seems to be putting it together. He gets a B because he showed some grit getting himself back into the match late and was a swipe away from sending it to OT, but he was outclassed on his feet overall, and he's not a strong enough mat wrestler and scrambler to exploit Brock's weaknesses.

149 A That's the best he's looked all year in my opinion. I said last week he needed a second attack to keep guys from keying in on his high crotch and he hit a beautiful sweep right away. Opened up his high crotch later on. He's definitely a guy that can get rolling after an early takedown.

157 B+ Open up young man. He took 2 shots and they were both excellent. Good controlled win, but that could be a major if he opens up.

165 A Clutch pin against an over matched opponent.

174 D Felt that was coming the whole match. Bowman scraps, but has poor awareness. You have to know that's Rogers' best hold, and stay away.

184 C Smith is very good, but Wilcke has to open up. Thought he started out well with a good handfight and activity, but never fully committed to an attack. Once Smith secured a lead he could sit and just reattack which is what he's best at.

197 B- I thought Warner wrestled really hard, but made a really really bad mistake in the third that essentially ended the match. Weigel is very good too. There was definitely a lot to build on in this match, and Warner has been making steady improvement since Midlands. Midlands Warner would have broken after that early takedown.

285 C He was competitive, but is clearly limited. He'll be in the hunt to place, but won't contend with the top guys. Feel bad for the big fella. He's been very unlucky.

Overall: The people calling for Brands to be fired are great caricatures of the uneducated fans that call into sports radio shows. The hawks got beat by a very good team on the road. This wasn't like the Iowa State meet either. Ok State has been wrestling better this year and showed it today, but let's not pretend that Iowa hasn't been incredibly unlucky this year. Spencer is struggling with something, we lost Kemerer who is our second best wrestler in my opinion, and obviously Stoll is not healthy either. That's our 3 highest returners not being 100%, and we expect this team to be lights out? On the positive side, Desanto has emerged as a title contender and that will be huge for next year. Kaleb Young is wrestling well. Marinelli has been a danger to society. Overall, I think every wrestler who is healthy is noticeably better this year than last year, and they'll all be back next year.
At 133, what he needs to do is bleeping shoot more and create more opportunities. And if he ends up on bottom, keep standing the eff up. He treated fix like he was wrestling bo nickal or something.

At 133, what he needs to do is bleeping shoot more and create more opportunities. And if he ends up on bottom, keep standing the eff up. He treated fix like he was wrestling bo nickal or something.
I'm sure Desanto never thought to just "stand the eff up." Hope that gets passed along for next time.

To address your more serious comment, it was pretty clear that Fix had a good game plan and that was to hold position as best he can and try to pick him apart on the edge. He did a nice job of that. It would be stupid to recklessly attack one of the best reattackers in the country (and maybe world) when he's just sitting on your attacks. The strategy for Desanto was clear. Make Fix expend a lot of energy to not get marched off the mat and get to him late in the third when he doesn't have the same explosiveness left. The only issue was Desanto not getting an opportunity to do that because as you put it, he "wouldn't stand the eff up."

Sadly, I’m thinking there’s no way Spencer can stand at the top this year, given his circumstances. Feel really bad for him

133: Fix is super technical and real tough in his defense. Boring leg ride. AD showed grace in defeat.

141: best match I've seen from Brock this year. Murin is close, but still doing freshman things. Round of 12 if wrestling well.

197: feel like we could've pulled this one out today (experienced SR over inexperienced FR). Like this Warner better than the Midlands version.

Overall: enjoyed watching, despite the outcome. We saw OSU's best today; one hopes the best for the Hawks is yet to come.
I agree on '49 and '65. Don't agree on '25 something up with Spence.

Reactions: iowa_native
Sadly, I’m thinking there’s no way Spencer can stand at the top this year, given his circumstances. Feel really bad for him
I wouldn't go that far. Even in his current state, he has been in these matches. He can still beat guys like Rivera or Picc, but they're going to be wars and very close. If he can win it this year, it will be huge for his development. One knock on him has been his inability to consistently win tight matches. He will have to do that this year. Unless, there's a drastic turnaround in the next month, he's not blowing through NCAAs this year. He can still win, but he will look mortal doing it, like 99% of NCAA champs.

Agree with everything here.

A few additions:

1. We have GOT to finish takedowns when we have a leg in the air. I saw at least 4 lost TDs (2 from Spencer) resulting from not pulling the guy ALL THE WAY back to the CENTER of the mat. Trying to finish those on the edge is a 50-50 proposition because there's no margin for error if you can't reach that second leg as you go OOB.

2. De Santo was close to finishing that reversal, dammit.

3. Aside from Sorensen, that was Lugo's best career win. He's looking good.

4. We were outslicked in most of those matches. Others have correctly noted that we tie up and hang on the head too much without generating any real offense. Some of those TDs by OSU were beautiful, fast, slick. Kudos to John Smith.

5. General comment: we've (still) got too many guys who want to be All Americans and too few who want to be national champs.

Here is my 2cents.

125- The problem I have is he is not wrestling at 100%. That being said, I do not know what the issue is? I can not recall ever seeing this happen before! Without inside knowledge of the issue(s) Lee is facing. My question would be what if anything could have or should have been done? I obviously don't have the answers along with everyone here. I just feel terrible for this GREAT KID!!!

133- Gave it hell, Fix stalled his ass off on Top. I am a HUGE believer in a Keddy type stand up off bottom. Many can argue about it, but YOU MUST create movement from bottom. If you start coming up and create movement you now have options. Don't like putting your head down or whatever some of these wrestlers do, and waiting to counter. DeSanto is right in the mix!

141-184-197 This for me is where it got a little ugly, and I have included Ca$h and Warner. It is almost like you are coaching HS kids out there. Most HS kids will make stupid mistakes and do stupid things that as a coach, make you pull you hair out. Watching these three was like watching a relatively new wrestler who doesn't fully understand the sport. Their match sense/ awareness, is not there!!! It is frustrating to watch a veteran D1 Wrestlers with no sense of urgency. Not understanding situations. Letting the same thing happen over and over. The best example would be Warner standing up, and getting tossed back down on his head. Do you not know a damn Standing Gramby, standing switch, cut away, roll, SOMETHING!!! Hit a move! Understand the score, get to your offense...........

149- I thought Lugo looked very good in a tough spot. Only complaint is he is even better than that!!! I honestly, I think he is MUCH better!!!

157- Young did his job, should have had bonus, but this is getting back to the best I have seen him so far.

165- Bull is an ANIMAL!!! GOD I would love to know what the hell the story is with his damn knee??? Reason I say this, is because I think it effects his bottom game against leg riders. Other than that, hate to be across the mat from him!

174- Another TUFF kid doing everything he can for the team. He is not 174 pounder and you can see the cut is taking its toll.

Heavy- What can you say. the BIG MAN has had too many injuries in a short period of time. He is going to have to wrestle very smart. Force the tie-ups, and let it fly. Let the chips fall where they may!!!

174- Another TUFF kid doing everything he can for the team. He is not 174 pounder and you can see the cut is taking its toll.

I don't think the cut is a factor anymore. He is simply being out wrestled.

Reactions: ih8iast8
I'm sure Desanto never thought to just "stand the eff up." Hope that gets passed along for next time.

To address your more serious comment, it was pretty clear that Fix had a good game plan and that was to hold position as best he can and try to pick him apart on the edge. He did a nice job of that. It would be stupid to recklessly attack one of the best reattackers in the country (and maybe world) when he's just sitting on your attacks. The strategy for Desanto was clear. Make Fix expend a lot of energy to not get marched off the mat and get to him late in the third when he doesn't have the same explosiveness left. The only issue was Desanto not getting an opportunity to do that because as you put it, he "wouldn't stand the eff up."
Well, he got ridden out by a freestyler so yeah, standing the eff up is what he needed to do. We dick around on bottom way too much especially our guys that aren't mat wrestlers. Mark ironside rarely got ridden bc he didn't mess with trying anything cute, he just had an incredible urgency to just get out.

Reactions: TarpHawk

I don't think the cut is a factor anymore. He is simply being out wrestled.

I disagree. He does not look at all like the same Wrestler over the last couple of years and even early in this season now that he is down at 174 to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT