ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Gone?

Van Dyne commits to the Gophers.. He needed a school with a Hockey rink...

Sounds like Martin is not going to visit BYU. Or at least hasn't scheduled anything yet.

This is getting rough. I think the first step for us landing a recruit is getting the coaching position filled. How intrested in a job would any of you be if you walked into the interview and the company told you they had no idea who your boss ws going to be.

Reactions: Eternal Return
This is getting rough. I think the first step for us landing a recruit is getting the coaching position filled. How intrested in a job would any of you be if you walked into the interview and the company told you they had no idea who your boss ws going to be.

The bosses are Kirk and Brian. There: question answered.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
This is what was said about him coming out of HS in regards to Hockey. Sounds like a really good athlete. Also, his dad walked on to the Michigan football team and earned a scholarship at WR and was pretty good as a Senior. Second most receptions on the team behind Desmond Howard.

"Yale Van Dyne is a powerful big bodied player with excellent acceleration and speed. Van Dyne knows how to use his body and is strong in the corners with a playmakers touch. Yale’s skill set is best described as a power forward. After coming from one of the best AA leagues in the nation the MHSHL, winning the league Championship and being named MVP of the league in 2013, Yale played this past season at the AAA Midget Major level for one of the nation’s top AAA programs, Chicago Mission. Yale is an athlete with unlimited potential. He has a 36′ vertical jump, 10’3” broad jump and 54′ box jump. His athleticism gives him explosiveness and the extra edge necessary for playing at the next level. Coached by former NHL players Tom Tilley and Gary Emmons (a two time Hobey Baker finalist)"

Fran needs to sign this guy, NOW!!!

KF has an in-home visit with him either this week or next. Sorry can't remember exact date, but I think we will have a better idea of what he is going to do after that. I also believe Brian and Kirk will be both going.

Charisma, professionalism,
and a good old fashioned honest, passionate and heart felt sales pitch will be given. Growth Mindset!! Go get 'em coach.

Ill let Brian answer that question. How the hell would I know?
You acted like bf and KF were the guys, thoughthe maybe you had the inside on how the passing game was going to pan out since we are talking skill spots.

The bosses are Kirk and Brian. There: question answered.

Exactly how much time overall do you think position players get with the O cord and HC? The guy that will be telling the receivers what to do and how to do it day in and day out will be the position coach. I know you think that was a super smart answer but this staff isn't good at getting WR into the program so they need to have all aspects of their pitch together when they walk into the home. Good work though.

Exactly how much time overall do you think position players get with the O cord and HC? The guy that will be telling the receivers what to do and how to do it day in and day out will be the position coach. I know you think that was a super smart answer but this staff isn't good at getting WR into the program so they need to have all aspects of their pitch together when they walk into the home. Good work though.

That is true. Practice, film work, etc....will be with his position coach and who he spends the majority of his time with. I hope not having one in place currently doesn't bite Iowa. I still think Oliver's a Hawk

Reactions: 6thtimesacharm
While I try not to be too concerned with recruiting, I will be curious to see how the rest of this class shapes up. I think landing Martin would be a great get. I see a lot of names floating around as far as players we are visiting/offering but have no real idea how many of them are seriously considering Iowa. In a class that started out so strong ... we appear now to be picking up the pieces ... My only hope is we don't have to "settle" for some kids ... Iowa can't afford to have "off" recruiting years.

Maybe he is trying to help Iowas recruiting ranking by waiting till every big time program has offered before committing to iowa.

It would help his reputation at iowa become legendary. Win.win.
Or adversely he doesn't want to spend weeks having his arm twisted by the home team. I hope you are right.

I thought Michigan had become a non factor?
Me too, perhaps someone has been "Harbaughed" to make room. Crazy time of year for recruiting. Still wonder what this picture looks like had Iowa offered back in the April/May timeframe ahead of the other P5 schools.

Last edited:
Me too, perhaps someone has been "Harbaughed" to make room. Crazy time of year for recruiting. Still wonder what this picture looks like had offered back in the April/May timeframe ahead of the other P5 schools.
Most likely he would have decommited to explore other options and see other places. Our staff would have gotten grumpy and pulled his offer out of spite. Pretty much what you just saw with Beau.

Me too, perhaps someone has been "Harbaughed" to make room. Crazy time of year for recruiting. Still wonder what this picture looks like had offered back in the April/May timeframe ahead of the other P5 schools.
He would probably be a 2 star right now if this was the case. More than likely, he would have committed very quickly and would have been written off as another white WR from the state of Iowa.

Looks like it was:

Last Thursday: Auburn, Notre Dame, Iowa, BYU
Monday: Iowa, Auburn, Florida, UCLA
Tuesday: Michigan
Thursday: OSU, Notre Dame

Tennessee and Washington State also in contact.

My crystal ball (which holds no merit at all) says Notre Dame. I've always had the gut feeling and also firmly believe recruits hold their favorite visits for the end. Hopefully I'm wrong and the immediate playing time factor is enough to keep him in Iowa City.

I also love seeing him rock the "Earn the 5th" shirt in his rivals picture. I do think he has that type of mentality. He is doing his due diligence and hearing every coach out. Can't blame the young man. He is doing everything right and will make an informed decision that is best for him.

Notre Dame would be the worst spot. Besides maybe UCLA with Mora, ND has a coach that in all likelihood will be gone next year. ND is a monumental disaster right now. 4-8 without playing Clemson, FSU or NC in their "conference?" And losses to Texas, MSU, Duke, NC St., and Navy?! I think this is a very smart guy so would surely think ND cannot be the place to go.

Notre Dame, however, is a very prestigious academic school with fantastic connections all over the country.

For some players it's not just about football.

Reactions: HawksAndChiefs24
I understand that. But he also has Auburn, Florida, OSU, Tennessee, and Wash St. on the board. Those are not necessarily academic juggernauts and don't see Stanford or Northwestern listed. So obviously not all about academics either. That was my point, if only a football decision ND is the worst choice including the fact their recruits are dropping like flies (I know us too).

Yeah who knows. When you step back it is totally messed up that a bunch of adults (at least age-wise) spend hours speculating on what 16-17 year old kids may do. I hope he comes to Iowa for a multitude of reasons. But if not, sounds like his head is on straight and he will make an informed decision.

Reactions: WSC72
KujawaFan, Paul's nephew I believe will be in for a visit next weekend, very cool! Arkansas is recruiting him as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT