ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Gone?

I actually think it is good news for Iowa that he is seeing these coaches and maximizing the publicity right now. I believe he, like AJ, have grown up knowing they are going to be Hawks. AJs early commitment signaled that Iowa can go toe-to-toe with the big boys on the heels of an undefeated Rose Bowl season. Now at the end of the cycle when the attention is hot, Martin will deliver another recruiting victory over a few of the blue bloods of the game.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
I actually think it is good news for Iowa that he is seeing these coaches and maximizing the publicity right now. I believe he, like AJ, have grown up knowing they are going to be Hawks. AJs early commitment signaled that Iowa can go toe-to-toe with the big boys on the heels of an undefeated Rose Bowl season. Now at the end of the cycle when the attention is hot, Martin will deliver another recruiting victory over a few of the blue bloods of the game.

I actually tend to agree with you. I think in the end, Oliver is a Hawkeye.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
I don't know the kid's whole background, and I don't pretend to know how he thinks. But to me, it's simple. If Oliver was a "born and raised Hawkeye fan, dreaming of one day playing for them", he'd have committed to Iowa already.

That's as far as my thinking goes.

Just got bad vibes about it I guess. Something just doesn't add up here for me to feel confident.

For those thinking Martin wants to go to college two miles away from his high school when he has other options which would place him closer to playing for national championships.....doubtful.

The allure of a new place for college is powerful enough of a pull.

Florida has come calling, now UCLA and Ohio State. He must have looked good at the AA game.

He would really help turn the tide in our recruiting but not feeling too good. Especially with the Hawks aggressively looking at other WR's.

Exactly how much time overall do you think position players get with the O cord and HC? The guy that will be telling the receivers what to do and how to do it day in and day out will be the position coach. I know you think that was a super smart answer but this staff isn't good at getting WR into the program so they need to have all aspects of their pitch together when they walk into the home. Good work though.

You asked who the boss was going to be. The WR coach is more like the store manager or team lead.

Florida has come calling, now UCLA and Ohio State. He must have looked good at the AA game.

He would really help turn the tide in our recruiting but not feeling too good. Especially with the Hawks aggressively looking at other WR's.
It would be hard to turn down OSU.

It would be hard to turn down OSU.
Already have #5 WR (#32 overall), #28 WR (#177 overall) and #3 athlete (#127 overall) in this years class. Had #10 and #12 WR last year. Depends if he wants to be the man or just another guy.

"Fallback" is a term thrown around a lot. The delay in his verbal tells me that he's also got a plan of action. Perhaps the dominos fall before we think. I get the sense that Iowa might be his fallback option.

"Fallback" is a term thrown around a lot. The delay in his verbal tells me that he's also got a plan of action. Perhaps the dominos fall before we think. I get the sense that Iowa might be his fallback option.
I also think he may have become some other teams "fallback" options as there are quite a few blue bloods coming to the table.

Even if he is "just another guy" at a place like OSU, his stats and opportunity to play at the next level will likely still be greater than at Iowa. It would be incredibly difficult to weigh all of the factors as a WR

I'm on the OSU sites quite a bit and this is the first I've heard about the Buckeyes calling on Martin. I do know they're going after James Robinson out of Lakeland, FL, but nothing on Martin. Kind of curious where this is coming from.

I'm on the OSU sites quite a bit and this is the first I've heard about the Buckeyes calling on Martin. I do know they're going after James Robinson out of Lakeland, FL, but nothing on Martin. Kind of curious where this is coming from.

Being reported by a bunch of people who cover Iowa football and recruiting services. Usually the info comes from his dad.

Warum essen Hotdogs, wenn Sie Brautwurst statt haben können?
46719249.jpg

https
You should listen to the song, Big Rock Candy Mountain, I think you'll enjoy it :eek:

A couple other quick notes, Brady Ross and Jake Gervase now on scholly and Bettendorf all-state LB Keegan Glaus walking on.
Kurt Warner's son Kade considering preferred walk on opportunities at Iowa, UCLA and ASU. Hawks also in to see another punter down south (Rubright from Atlanta) beyond the other two mentioned on HN.com earlier this week. Hawks will offer one of them.

DSM Register says Urban will be in-home with him tomorrow I believe.

Every one here is swinging in the dark.

If history is any indicator, a top in-state WR goes out of state. However, a top in-state WR from Iowa City goes to Iowa (see Calvin Davis and Keenan Davis).

What does it all mean?

That Oliver Martin will pick a school and no one on this board has a clue which school that will be.

Reactions: KakertsGhey
I believe he is still in a holding pattern till we fill the position coaches on offense. Martin could be a legend at Iowa, like DJK, Marvin McNutt, and Ed Hinkel or be on a long listing of great Michigan receivers.

I'm not sure who would want to play for Jim Harbaugh. Maybe college athletes like his eccentric mannerisms.

He wore out his welcome in San Francisco and a number of players spoke publicly about their disdain towards him.

In the end it's his choice but I think Iowa would make the most sense for him. He'd be in prime position to learn the system his RS year and have the inside track to fill the void left by Vandeberg the following year. He'd have a realistic opportunity to be a 4 year starter that would be tougher at Michigan.

There wouldn't be any shortage of opportunities even if we maintain a run first offense. Vandeberg had at least 4 receptions in each of the 4 games he played this year.

I believe he is still in a holding pattern till we fill the position coaches on offense. Martin could be a legend at Iowa, like DJK, Marvin McNutt, and Ed Hinkel or be on a long listing of great Michigan receivers.

Being on the long list of great Michigan receivers seems extremely better than being a Hawkeye WR legend.

Being on the long list of great Michigan receivers seems extremely better than being a Hawkeye WR legend.

Depends who you ask. Trev Alberts once said going to Nebraska rather than Iowa was a mistake. There he's not really recognized while he could have been a local product legend for the Hawks.

Reactions: terrehawk
I'm not sure who would want to play for Jim Harbaugh. Maybe college athletes like his eccentric mannerisms.

He wore out his welcome in San Francisco and a number of players spoke publicly about their disdain towards him.

More of them were quoted as saying they loved playing for him. The 49ers sure haven't missed Harbaugh have they?

Every one here is swinging in the dark.

If history is any indicator, a top in-state WR goes out of state. However, a top in-state WR from Iowa City goes to Iowa (see Calvin Davis and Keenan Davis).

What does it all mean?

That Oliver Martin will pick a school and no one on this board has a clue which school that will be.
Davis was CR not IC.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ and Cougar63
More of them were quoted as saying they loved playing for him. The 49ers sure haven't missed Harbaugh have they?

1. Except when the NFL draft is closing in (Peppers).

2. The 49ers have a pretty depleted roster now. Not sure Belichek could coach them to 5 wins. I'm sure he's a decent coach but his personality is bizarre and would be hard to tolerate.

Randy Moss on issues playing for Jim Harbaugh: "He treated us men like we were still college kids at Stanford."

Alex Boone: ‘This guy might be clinically insane. He’s crazy.’ ... I think that if you’re stuck in your ways enough, eventually people are just going to say, ‘Listen, we just can’t work with this.’”

I think it comes down to Iowa and Michigan State. Lombardi could be the wild card. I know some crystal ball picks show him with Michigan or Notre Dame, but I think in the end he stays home or plays at MSU with his friend.

It's not like he and Lombardi are best friends. Really don't think that's a factor at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT