ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Do we have a final date or decision timeline? Or does Oliver practice as normal starting Friday and then if approved, he joins the 2-deep (maybe) and if not he assumes fall camp activities as normal. If not approved...can he play in 4 games or did I read that incorrect somewhere? Also, btw, what is taking so long? Oh yeah, it's the NCAA, my bad, Jalen Hunt will be cleared by the Clearinghouse at Sparty before this case is decided upon...

Sure would be nice to have this sorted before camp starts on Friday.

And unless I'm missing something the 4 game RS rule does not apply if he gets denied. If he isn't eligible for this season he'll be a scout team ace.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Do we have a final date or decision timeline? Or does Oliver practice as normal starting Friday and then if approved, he joins the 2-deep (maybe) and if not he assumes fall camp activities as normal. If not approved...can he play in 4 games or did I read that incorrect somewhere? Also, btw, what is taking so long? Oh yeah, it's the NCAA, my bad, Jalen Hunt will be cleared by the Clearinghouse at Sparty before this case is decided upon...
I think you read someone saying it would be nice if athletes could still play 4 games if a petition is denied because no that's not the case. I remember people saying it would be a good idea.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
NCAA likes to keep us in limbo. I doubt he gets the waiver to play, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the NO came on game week.

If we were to appeal the ruling they could then drag it out to lessen the benefit and keep things uncertain. If we were a big dog we’d know right away and could expect good news.

The NCAA has been a joke for years.

The Drew Ott case was pretty clear cut. Heartless on their part but he didn’t qualify.

Yeah, by the letter of the law, Ott's case was clear-cut, he just got screwed by the process being so drawn-out over something that was supposedly so obvious. That put him in no man's land of focusing on rehab vs attempting to do any sort of prep for the draft - interviews and the like. It would have been nice if they could have shown some heart in his case because of how bad the injury was, recognizing that he was only one game over the threshold and such. Dragging it out like they did is the part that sucks.

Similarly, I can live with either a positive/negative decision. Just don't leave Kirk, OM and co in limbo for the next 4 weeks.

Reactions: RHBar
The Ott situation wasn't dragged out. Iowa/Ott kept appealing and it kept being denied.

"I don’t believe fairy tales or sermons or stories about NCAA eligibility, baby sister".

Last edited:
i honestly wonder what the hell is taking so long. are there that many cases to review or are people at the NCAA on vacation? LOL
KF and Co. probably gave them a piece of their mind during the Ott case. Now it's payback from the NCAA. I would have agreed that the longer it takes then the better, but now that camp is starting a I don't think that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Seems like several denials lately.

This one seems similar to the Oliver Martin case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ilable-for-tcu-in-2019-after-ncaa-ruling/amp/

This article implies that the new transfer rules the NCAA rolled out in June are already being applied.... which is a huge crock if so.

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sport...ticle233378137.html?__twitter_impression=true

I still think Randal Grimes is the more similar to Oliver Martin than Matthew Baldwin.

Baldwin is a quarterback
Grimes is a wide receiver
Martin is a wide receiver

Baldwin grew up in Austin Texas. TCU is in Fort Worth Texas
Grimes grew up in Las Vegas Nevada. UNLV is in Whitney (East Las Vegas) Nevada
Martin grew up in Iowa City, Iowa. Iowa is in Iowa City Iowa

Baldwin endured a Head coaching change at his former school (Ohio State)
Grimes endured a change of Offensive Coordinator at USC
Martin endured a change of Offensive Coordinator at Michigan

Baldwin was denied
Grimes was accepted
Martin is still waiting

I guess we wait and see what will be.

What if his petition is accepted after camp ends but before season begins? Is that good or bad? 'coz I'm guessing iowa wouldn't be able to utilize him to his full potential this year but there would no longer exist the choice to let him sit out the year either.

What if his petition is accepted after camp ends but before season begins? Is that good or bad? 'coz I'm guessing iowa wouldn't be able to utilize him to his full potential this year but there would no longer exist the choice to let him sit out the year either.

Not following you here. Technically the season begins today with the first practice. I mean, there's not a break between now and the first game. I do see your point though, I'm sure he will get plenty of reps at practice.
On the off change he gets the waiver, he will be fine. Also, there is NO guarantee he is better than the players in front of him. Tempered enthusiasm would be good to have in regards to Martin.

At this point, I'm not very optimistic about him being eligible for this year.

Reactions: ctghawk
He will play as soon as he is eligible, this year or next. Since he doesn't have a redshirt year, from now on any time not playing is time lost.

He will play as soon as he is eligible, this year or next. Since he doesn't have a redshirt year, from now on any time not playing is time lost.
Unless he gets the NCAA to extend his eligibility which is a separate question on whether he can get a waiver to play right away.

Aug 1 Update:

No ruling yet; no known timetable.

ORIGINAL POST
Great article from Chad Leistikow.

Some excerpts:

[Ferentz] later got a question about the NCAA’s transfer portal and chuckled.

Ferentz joined the chorus of many Big Ten coaches here, saying he is confused why some players are granted immediate eligibility after transferring and others are not. He and the Hawkeyes are currently in that state of limbo. They're waiting to hear from the NCAA on whether Michigan transfer Oliver Martin will be cleared to play in 2019 for the Hawkeyes.

“Just some clarity on that whole thing would really help," Ferentz said. "I understand how the portal works. That’s pretty clear. What is confusing is who gets a pass to the field and who doesn’t, and that didn’t start this past 12 months, either."

The Martin family has hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Ferentz, in a later interview with Iowa reporters, couldn't offer a timetable of when the NCAA will rule. Athletics director Gary Barta said in a separate interview that his research showed that 60% to 70% of immediate-eligibility waivers for transfers have been approved. That would seem to increase Martin's odds.

“I’m not an expert on the topic at all, but as an outsider, it certainly seems like your chances of getting things your way increase (with an attorney)," Ferentz said. "We’ll just wait and see."

Martin loves it at Iowa, and a source says he has acclimated quickly to the wide-receivers room; building culture is an important piece to the Hawkeyes 'formula, and Martin is on the right track.

“He’s been training with the team all summer long and doing a great job," Ferentz said. "Seems to have fit right in with everybody. Obviously knows Iowa City a little bit. I think he’s doing a great job."

As for the waiver?

"We obviously think he’s a really good football player and good young person," Ferentz said. "If he could help our football team, I’m all for anyone helping us. But we’re not counting on it. That’d be a bonus.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...r-portal-oliver-martin-recruiting/1772814001/
Is there a deadline for him to be declared eligible to play this season?

My guess is the NCAA is gonna wait until that deadline has passed........

Not following you here. Technically the season begins today with the first practice. I mean, there's not a break between now and the first game. I do see your point though, I'm sure he will get plenty of reps at practice.
On the off change he gets the waiver, he will be fine. Also, there is NO guarantee he is better than the players in front of him. Tempered enthusiasm would be good to have in regards to Martin.

At this point, I'm not very optimistic about him being eligible for this year.

There is a significant change in preparation before the first game. Early part of camp(formerly 2 a days) conditioning, base plays, detail work, reps for more players. Then game prep starts, reps are for 1-2’s.

There is a significant change in preparation before the first game. Early part of camp(formerly 2 a days) conditioning, base plays, detail work, reps for more players. Then game prep starts, reps are for 1-2’s.
If Oliver were declared eligible today, he would be a back up right now....agree? I think he would be.

I wonder how far behind the current starters he is; he has to master the playbook, get the trust of the coaches, get timing down, etc.

The NCAA created this mess when they started granting waivers contrary to their specified guidelines:

"mitigating circumstances beyond the control of the student athlete affecting his health, safety, or well-being."

Martell got his waiver approved, apparently for two primary reasons: Meyer resigned so there was a coaching change. Second, Justin Fields transferred from UGA under laughable circumstances. Somehow, these two circumstances were deemed detrimental to Martell's health, safety, and well-being.
In each case, the transferring player was beaten out for the starting position. So, if Martin could show he would have face diminished playing time in 19, the NCAA should grant a waiver, no?

The NCAA is an f'ing joke and not a very funny one at that.

The NCAA created this mess when they started granting waivers contrary to their specified guidelines:

"mitigating circumstances beyond the control of the student athlete affecting his health, safety, or well-being."

Martell got his waiver approved, apparently for two primary reasons: Meyer resigned so there was a coaching change. Second, Justin Fields transferred from UGA under laughable circumstances. Somehow, these two circumstances were deemed detrimental to Martell's health, safety, and well-being.
In each case, the transferring player was beaten out for the starting position. So, if Martin could show he would have face diminished playing time in 19, the NCAA should grant a waiver, no?

The NCAA is an f'ing joke and not a very funny one at that.
What annoys me the most is they came out and said they're not going to be so lenient on transfers not losing a year of eligibility. They did this midway through the transfer year. It's all fine and good if you want to tighten up who gets to keep their year and who doesn't. But do it for next year's transfers.

fwiw I asked one of OM's buddies and they said "it's pretty much a done deal" that he'll be granted immediate eligiblity. **I did not hear this directly from OM this time

well, that's good news!

what the hell is the hold up, I wonder?

if granted immediate eligibility, it will be interesting to see how soon he is used in games & how he is used

well... you gotta put all the papers in a folder... they want the whole process documented... so you make sure everything is spelled correctly... then you gotta have sub folders... in case you want to go back and look at it.... its a long process boys... just hold your horses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT