ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics

Why are you guys arguing about France? The only good thing to ever come out of there was the Statue of Liberty! ;)

If you want to argue at least argue over something Iowa wrestling relevant and an area that I am 100% correct about:

Tom Brands is a great coach and Iowa has done very well during his tenure. If not for Cael creating an unprecedented dynasty, even Dionysus would be hosting orgies in his honor!..............Now.......GOOOOOOO!

But that doesn’t help prop up the victimhood theme being cultivated.
Victimhood- hmmm? If there was no intent or clear intentional ommision, I must have missed the depiction of muslims through demonstrational displays of hijabs or traditional garb? One group is safe to "mock", the other not so much. Again, whether intentional or not. But I can guarantee the latter was considered.

Just Trust Me Theo James GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Would Jesus care? I don't think so.
Do you recall what Jesus did at the temple when he saw what people were doing? He had no problem with getting violent.
I’m with you. I have always looked forward to the Olympic Games but after the opening ceremonies wrestling is the only thing I’m watching also.
I'll watch later on a format like youtube. I won't give peacock clicks. I cannot abide by such insults then give that network views.

Victimhood- hmmm? If there was no intent or clear intentional ommision, I must have missed the depiction of muslims through demonstrational displays of hijabs or traditional garb? One group is safe to "mock", the other not so much. Again, whether intentional or not. But I can guarantee the latter was considered.
They tried a cartoon once. 17 people died.

Reactions: WhiteDog125
I'm educated enough to know these things that you are clueless about.

1. France can do whatever it wants whenever it only applies to France. This is a world event with a world audience and participants. As a host, you should NEVER deliberately offend your guests.
2. Apparently, you are the only one dumb enough to not know that it was a mockery of The Last Supper.
3. It was not appropriate taking an international event and pushing your "sexual activity". I would have been outraged even if this was a heterosexual presentation. Sexual displays has NOTHING to do with the Games and is not family appropriate.

BTW, I don't follow commands from a blooming idiot. I will continue to speak out.
Those defending Dionysus in a painting as part of French culture might want to check into his rapey nature. The Greek god. Why couldn't they do something with other cultural things the French have given us such as Le Surrender! Or collaborating with Nazi Germany after surrendering of course.

They could've had these guys , but no!

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
BTW. you're literally the only "idiot" here. When presented with facts, are you capable of changing your offended sensibilities? Probably not, but let's give this a shot.

1. EVERY country that hosts the Olympics has a duty and is permitted to celebrate the opening of the games as they see fit, in line with their values so long as its not a human rights violation. London - had the queen and a "celebrity" James Bond. China - a marvel in communism efficiency, DRAGONS (oh noooooo) and DRUMS.

Rio had Carnivale and Gisele in A DRESS! Oh my word, the SEXUALITY!!!!

2. I'm going to put this here, and i need to you actually read. and it's clear you didn't watch the broadcast, because the snippet that is rolling around the internet fails to show THE VERY NEXT SCENE - which is a blue man who is depicting the Greek god Dionysus.

i need to make this very clear - IT WAS A REENACTMENT OF A GREEK BACCHANAL. It's called the "feast of the gods" and it was done by FRENCH painter Jan Harmensz van BILJERT.

https://www.rfi.fr/en/olympic-games...ening-creator-defiant-over-controversial-show

https://www.today.com/news/paris-ol...g-ceremony-last-supper-controversy-rcna163929

58.jpg

3. Actors dressing up - whether they are trans/cis/drag is NOT inherently sexual. That's a you problem. Grow up. It's a different country and just because you don't LIKE it, doesn't make it some "sexual display." So again. It's called education. You don't like cross-dressing drag queens, no problem and explain that to your family/children. No one cares. Not a big deal.
Age appropriateness is a thing. In Afghanistan raping young boys is okay, we frown on it here. If you to put a good show on for guests I'd leave the sexual stuff out of it. There was so much more they could've done, like surrendering:https:

//youtu.be/FUjGf2Grrus?si=IUjyKTvfei96GzlW

And here's something I saw from a writer I follow:

From Marc Macyoung:
Marc MacYoung
Well this is interesting.
No matter how many people tried to tell me differently, I haven't been able to stop smelling the "**** you" reek of this particular performance. No matter how strong the floral scent, that reek was there.
But let's look at some factors at play in this article.
A- Pseudo intellectuals and skeptics are claiming they're not sure this was intentional and done knowing it would give offense to many.
B-I wrote a piece about the "Now You Know How It Feels" rhetoric people are using to defend this insult. (Going as far as DARVO).
C- Always watch for "I'm sorry, but I...."s (Often indicating I'm sorry I'm forced to apologize, not that I did it).
D- Pay close attention to the rhetoric hung on the back of these apologies, because often they're telling you, they haven't changed their mind and the apology is tactical rather than sincere.
E- Such "Sorry, but I..." apologies are also indicative that the behaviors won't change. (They won't fight you now, but they'll do it again/come back at you later).
F- Many people want to leave their mark on the world. Okay, I get that. But often what they do instead is leave a bruise. One could argue that this 'artistic expression' falls into this category.
And that brings us to malice and its justification.
This article and the semi-faux apologies of those quoted blows the claims/arguments that 'it wasn't intentional' out of the water. (I don't care how obscure or intellectual references someone one pulls up to muddy the water.)
What are far better questions are
1- To what degree did maliciousness and the desire to take a cheap shot have in this production?
2- The same applied to those who are intellectually defending it?
Art does not require you to be an asshole. Nor does it give you permission. If you choose to weaponize it and use it as such, be prepared for the backlash and unintended consequences.
My take with all the French culture we have and Greek culture, why showcase the raping god of degeneracy, Dionysus? Ever hear of Plato, Aristotle, or Socrates? Real people not some raping degenerate know for wild parties?

They see things through a pervert filter, those who put this on and got busted, nothing more. I'd rather see any of the boring ass other openers because they were more representative way of the host country's culture.

Do you recall what Jesus did at the temple when he saw what people were doing? He had no problem with getting violent.

I'll watch later on a format like youtube. I won't give peacock clicks. I cannot abide by such insults then give that network views.

Man. I legitimately LOVE religion "talk." Don't want to argue, but be able to have conversations with the realization that most everyone interprets religion/dieties/bible/koran, etc different.

Jesus going apesh*t at the temple was Jesus attacking THE TEMPLE. Not others who are not signed up to the Jewish religion.

Age appropriateness is a thing. In Afghanistan raping young boys is okay, we frown on it here. If you to put a good show on for guests I'd leave the sexual stuff out of it. There was so much more they could've done, like surrendering:https:

//youtu.be/FUjGf2Grrus?si=IUjyKTvfei96GzlW

Let's not compare a r*pe to what amounted to nothing more than cosplay.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
The similar imagery between the last supper and the Greek bacchanal is due to the Feast of the Dionysus painting being influenced by The Last Supper. You can come think it is a mockery of Christianity but I would argue the evidence doesn't support this. It is a reference to a painting referencing the Greek gods. Since the intent was to represent this painting it wouldn't make a lot of sense to include Muslims. I would agree that in general the Muslim religion is intolerant of any sort of critique or heck even benign imagery.

The similar imagery between the last supper and the Greek bacchanal is due to the Feast of the Dionysus painting being influenced by The Last Supper. You can come think it is a mockery of Christianity but I would argue the evidence doesn't support this. It is a reference to a painting referencing the Greek gods. Since the intent was to represent this painting it wouldn't make a lot of sense to include Muslims. I would agree that in general the Muslim religion is intolerant of any sort of critique or heck even benign imagery.
I believe you are referring to the "Feast of the Gods" painting? The would have been held well before the time of Christ. If the intent was not to be representative - it would not have included drag either.

Yes. The Muslims and Christians have more in common each and every day, imo. Go about your business. Lead your best life. Ignore outsiders words. Love thy neighbor.

I believe you are referring to the "Feast of the Gods" painting? The would have been held well before the time of Christ. If the intent was not to be representative - it would not have included drag either.
I don't follow this reasoning at all. Could you clarify what you mean?

The "Feast of the Gods" is a scene that's been painted many times going back to antiquity. It's an incredibly famous image in Western art.

And thematically, it makes much more sense than The Last Supper. France is a country famous for eating and drinking which is what the scene is all about. Dionysus/Bacchus, the main figure of the painting, is also the father of Sequena, the goddess of the Seine (the river they were on).

This is just theatre kid stuff, incorporating Greek mythology into French identity. In other words, a country famous for it's Bacchanalian character featured Bacchus in its opening ceremony.

And yes, it's much more acceptable to make fun of Christianity. Why? Because Christianity, as a religion, holds tremendous power and privilege all over the world. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thank you for the correction

Not sure what you're trying to get at with the timing.

My point was specifically in reference to imagery. The Feast of Gods was painted after the Last Super and has similar composition. I suspect this was intentional by the artist. When these events occurred historically is irrelevant. Also the Feast of the Gods is mythological and likely never occurred.

Should the ancient Greeks be offended I don't know maybe?

Interestingly The Last Supper is probably the 3rd most spoofed piece of art behind the Mona Lisa and American Gothic.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
I don't follow this reasoning at all. Could you clarify what you mean?

The "Feast of the Gods" is a scene that's been painted many times going back to antiquity. It's an incredibly famous image in Western art.

And thematically, it makes much more sense than The Last Supper. France is a country famous for eating and drinking which is what the scene is all about. Dionysus/Bacchus, the main figure of the painting, is also the father of Sequena, the goddess of the Seine (the river they were on).

This is just theatre kid stuff, incorporating Greek mythology into French identity. In other words, a country famous for it's Bacchanalian character featured Bacchus in its opening ceremony.

And yes, it's much more acceptable to make fun of Christianity. Why? Because Christianity, as a religion, holds tremendous power and privilege all over the world. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
It's called being correct in the name of the painting. Accuracy matters.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Thank you for the correction

Not sure what you're trying to get at with the timing.

My point was specifically in reference to imagery. The Feast of Gods was painted after the Last Super and has similar composition. I suspect this was intentional by the artist. When these events occurred historically is irrelevant. Also the Feast of the Gods is mythological and likely never occurred.

Should the ancient Greeks be offended I don't know maybe?

Interestingly The Last Supper is probably the 3rd most spoofed piece of art behind the Mona Lisa and American Gothic.
The timing would be that many here are saying the Festival of Dionysus may have been influenced by the Last Supper. That would be incorrect as it was before Christ. Was it possible the Last Supper was influenced by the Festival of Dionysus, maybe? The painting the Feast of the Gods may very well have been influenced by the Last Supper. Accurathy and truth matters.

It's called being correct in the name of the painting. Accuracy matters.
Yeah, but what does the reference to time and representation mean? The Feast of the Gods didn't actually happen. It's a myth. And also, the Greek Gods cross-dressed all the time, so that would be representative.

• Love
Yeah, but what does the reference to time and representation mean? The Feast of the Gods didn't actually happen. It's a myth. And also, the Greek Gods cross-dressed all the time, so that would be representative.
Umm - you're kind of contradicting yourself here when you say the Festival was actually a myth but the "Greek Gods cross-dressed all the time"? Since that too would be a myth I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than just being argumentative. Sounds very MSU like. Pedophila and homsexuality were also very commonplace for the period. Different time with different levels of acceptance.

Man. I legitimately LOVE religion "talk." Don't want to argue, but be able to have conversations with the realization that most everyone interprets religion/dieties/bible/koran, etc different.

Jesus going apesh*t at the temple was Jesus attacking THE TEMPLE. Not others who are not signed up to the Jewish religion.

Let's not compare a r*pe to what amounted to nothing more than cosplay.
Again age appropriateness, why even do this on a public stage where children can see? Why celebrate such a thing? You see the actor already admitted to spoofing the Kast Supper even though other s are saying it was not intentional. You see I do not believe those people. I'm sure the same crowd steered quite clear of mocking anything related to Islam after Charlie Hebdo of course.

Again age appropriateness, why even do this on a public stage where children can see? Why celebrate such a thing? You see the actor already admitted to spoofing the Kast Supper even though other s are saying it was not intentional. You see I do not believe those people. I'm sure the same crowd steered quite clear of mocking anything related to Islam after Charlie Hebdo of course.
Who is "the actor" - This literally never happened. Here are some relevant articles about the actor who played the blue god Dionysus.

he went out of his way to apologize to any religions that were offended, because that was not the intention. NOT IN ANY OF HIS QUOTES did he say that the tableau was a live iteration of the Last Supper.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...9bKHU0IE-vFt-t_-aVs-ETFGNyQYpvfLxYSLZJDPtHVTb

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...t-supper-olympics-opening-ceremony-rcna163927

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Supper-parody-Olympics-opening-ceremony.html

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Umm - you're kind of contradicting yourself here when you say the Festival was actually a myth but the "Greek Gods cross-dressed all the time"? Since that too would be a myth I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than just being argumentative. Sounds very MSU like. Pedophila and homsexuality were also very commonplace for the period. Different time with different levels of acceptance.
Although I admit that I often like a good back and forth, I 100% do not just do it to be "argumentative". If that were the case, I have a ton of topics on here to use as cannon fodder.

I pretty much only jump in on topics that I have a strong opinion on or when I see someone speak in such "absolutes" where it makes the opportunity to do some "hole poking" too ripe to ignore...

Yes, the French are famously afraid of insulting Muslims. The Hijab Law protesters and the staff of Charlie Hebdo would like a word with you and @LIV4GOD .

Guys, can we drop all the talk of mythology, whether it be Christian or Ancient Greek?

PS - All the butthurt crybabies over their precious mythology, if you have cable or streaming TV service already, it appears you can watch on NBC Sports App or nbcsports.com for free. That’s what I wlll do, as my religion is giving as little to giant corporations as possible.

Last edited:
You're all turned around buddy.

I'm saying that depicting Greek god of wine and feasting in the French (country that loves wine and feasting) Olympic Ceremony (Greek in origin) makes total sense. It's a fantastic representation of Greek and French culture overlapping.

They call it "art."

Whenever people ask "why should I have to take humanities classes?" this is why. Reading and interpretation are skills that must be developed like any other.
Mitch Kelly, John Irving, and I all agree, which of course means you are 100% correct.

I'm saying that depicting Greek god of wine and feasting in the French (country that loves wine and feasting) Olympic Ceremony (Greek in origin) makes total sense. It's a fantastic representation of Greek and French culture overlapping.

They call it "art."
The problem is you are ignoring the link to debauchery and orgies, while solely focusing on the "wine" and "feasting" part. Now, MAYBE it was meant with no intentions to mock Christianity in any way, but it also provided a very easy out to play both sides if they meant to...

With that said, it didn't bother me. I don't let other peoples' opinions on religion bother me either way. But, I can definitely see why the more immovable Christians took offense. In today's climate that type of rhetoric is energized almost daily. Even if it was meant to simply be a representation of revelry through Greek or Roman mythology(technically bacchanal originated more in reverence to Bacchus than to Dionysus), one could see how easily it could be misinterpreted by a religion of roughly 2 billion and the powers that be could have chosen something else if they had no interest, or intent, in offending anyone...

The problem is you are ignoring the link to debauchery and orgies, while solely focusing on the "wine" and "feasting" part. Now, MAYBE it was meant with no intentions to mock Christianity in any way, but it also provided a very easy out to play both sides if they meant to...

With that said, it didn't bother me. I don't let other peoples' opinions on religion bother me either way. But, I can definitely see why the more immovable Christians took offense. In today's climate that type of rhetoric is energized almost daily. Even if it was meant to simply be a representation of revelry through Greek or Roman mythology(technically bacchanal originated more in reverence to Bacchus than to Dionysus), one could see how easily it could be misinterpreted by a religion of roughly 2 billion and the powers that be could have chosen something else if they had no interest, or intent, in offending anyone...

But that's the point of it NOT BEING INTENTIONAL. It didn't have anything to do with Christianity in any way. And once that's explained - get over yourself (those that still cling to being mad - not you persay).

The tableau was an expression of wine and feasting - pretty high on France's list of things it cares about. They didn't "ignore" the debauchery and orgies - they didn't include it in their expression. There was just no need to make a jump to that.

Reactions: oldhawk56

you don't really think peacock was making artistic decisions about the opening ceremonies, do you?

and you don't really think watching it on youtube isn't still putting money in those same peoples' pockets, do you?

the jesus i learned about growing up would have been a lot more concerned about this than whether a bearded lady was shown on tv

But that's the point of it NOT BEING INTENTIONAL. It didn't have anything to do with Christianity in any way. And once that's explained - get over yourself (those that still cling to being mad - not you persay).

The tableau was an expression of wine and feasting - pretty high on France's list of things it cares about. They didn't "ignore" the debauchery and orgies - they didn't include it in their expression. There was just no need to make a jump to that.
Still, when it is VERY apparent how easy it could be misconstrued, I just don't see how it was the right choice......Even if you are a great farmer and a master at cultivating eggplant, you should be smart enough not to send the following text message to your best friend's girlfriend: "Do you want to see my award winning (eggplant emoji)????"

You can feign ignorance all you want, but there is no way in hell they put all this together without anyone pointing out how it could be misinterpreted and offend a certain group of people. They just didn't care....

They call it "art."
You might want to re-read what you in fact wrote. That may be what you meant in your head but your writing skills are lacking - buddy. And not one thing you are attempting to call me out on has any relevance at all to what I was saying. Not once did I say it wasn't art or that "art" isn't in the eye of the beholder. My initial comments were about timing and correctly naming each event/work. In fact, other than saying I do believe it was offensive to Christians, I hardly made that the focal point of my posts. It was more to the point that nobody is really afraid to offend Christians because they will mainly just bitch about it. Muslims on the other hand, just a bit less tolerant.

Still, when it is VERY apparent how easy it could be misconstrued, I just don't see how it was the right choice......Even if you are a great farmer and a master at cultivating eggplant, you should be smart enough not to send the following text message to your best friend's girlfriend: "Do you want to see my award winning (eggplant emoji)????"

You can feign ignorance all you want, but there is no way in hell they put all this together without anyone pointing out how it could be misinterpreted and offend a certain group of people. They just didn't care....

Because no. Because they were celebrating THEIR culture and the culture of the (greek) games. So yes, i can absolutely see them not realizing this would offend people.

But here's the point that truly matters. I get people misconstruing it, then being angry about it. But once presented with factual evidence that your anger is misplaced and flatly, WRONG - we all can do a better job of just admitting that. Instead you have what we have now:

I'M STILL ANGRY. EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE PROVEN THAT YOU DIDN'T DO THAT THING THAT I ACCUSED OF, I STILL HOLD FAST TO MY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY.

That's why I said grow up in my initial response. If any child of ours acted this way when little johnny hurt their feelings, we'd tell them to chill out. They apologized, when that wasn't even necessary.

Admitting when you're wrong is supposed to be a universal concept. And Christians need to attach it to themselves in this particular instance/episode. Get over yourselves.

Reactions: js8793
Because no. Because they were celebrating THEIR culture and the culture of the (greek) games. So yes, i can absolutely see them not realizing this would offend people.

But here's the point that truly matters. I get people misconstruing it, then being angry about it. But once presented with factual evidence that your anger is misplaced and flatly, WRONG - we all can do a better job of just admitting that. Instead you have what we have now:

I'M STILL ANGRY. EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE PROVEN THAT YOU DIDN'T DO THAT THING THAT I ACCUSED OF, I STILL HOLD FAST TO MY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY.

That's why I said grow up in my initial response. If any child of ours acted this way when little johnny hurt their feelings, we'd tell them to chill out. They apologized, when that wasn't even necessary.

Admitting when you're wrong is supposed to be a universal concept. And Christians need to attach it to themselves in this particular instance/episode. Get over yourselves.
Honestly, I think you are giving the "powers that be" too much credit on the altruistic front. Maybe I am just being cynical, but the French aren't exactly known for avoiding insulting others. In fact, it is pretty much the opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose it knowing it would have a 2nd insulting meaning to some.

Now, with that said, should those offended move on? Of course. On the "Offensive scale" this shouldn't rate higher than a 3 out of 10. Responding by not watching the Olympics only hurst yourself....

You can feign ignorance all you want, but there is no way in hell they put all this together without anyone pointing out how it

could be misinterpreted and offend a certain group of people. They just didn't care....
NAh, they just under estimated how self centered and egotistical the right wing would be..'the folks that celebrate liberal tears are sure quick to get butt hurt by a percieved slight.

Now that we've gone down that road. Let's talk about the olympics.

I've watched Mens and Womens gymnastics, table tennis, surfing, judo and basketball so far.

The high bar for Men's gymnastics is SCARY. a lot of hand slips and hard landings.

Surfing is a lot waiting, but when those catch those waves, i'm just jealous.

Table tennis looks kind a goofy, but man do i respect the reaction time those guys have.

NAh, they just under estimated how self centered and egotistical the right wing would be..'the folks that celebrate liberal tears are sure quick to get butt hurt by a percieved slight.
The hypocrisy in that statement is rather telling. Conflating Christians with "right wing" crys out your personal ideology, while making my point for me. Christian and right wing are not synonymous. Hundreds of millions of Christians aren't right wing or even political at all. Are you saying that only the "right wing" Christians would be offended by what they believed mocked a major moment in their religion?

Look, do I believe that those Christians that took offense should dig in and fight over this? Hell no. A simple, "I found it distasteful." and move on would suffice. But, those acting like everything was done while maintaining the moral high ground are delusional at best...

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
The hypocrisy in that statement is rather telling. Conflating Christians with "right wing" crys out your personal ideology, while making my point for me. Christian and right wing are not synonymous. Hundreds of millions of Christians aren't right wing or even political at all. Are you saying that only the "right wing" Christians would be offended by what they believed mocked a major moment in their religion?

Look, do I believe that those Christians that took offense should dig in and fight over this? Hell no. A simple, "I found it distasteful." and move on would suffice. But, those acting like everything was done while maintaining the moral high ground are delusional at best...
What sports have you been watching?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT