ADVERTISEMENT

One Game, but.....

Tonight, was a really bad team effort and Iowa looked really soft. Hope this is a one-off type of game otherwise a very long year BBall too. Half-court offense and rebounding really lacking.
I could see it coming at the end of the last game. Kris just went into a shell, and the passing wasn't as sharp at the end.

Tonight's game was a lot of playground on both sides. Iowa has to be a lot more disciplined on both ends to win these types of games. There was little movement on the offensive end and the help defense was really crappy.

Tonight, was a really bad team effort and Iowa looked really soft. Hope this is a one-off type of game otherwise a very long year BBall too. Half-court offense and rebounding really lacking.
Hello, I was here all summer.
Sincerely,
The transfer portal.

If b-ball and fball do not EMBRACE the portal, both are F’D!

My 12+ loss prediction for this team is very much in play. Too many deficiencies to be a real contender.

Last edited:
Fran can go to the portal like everyone else but he is too good for it. The result is a tenacious but undersized Rebraca and two busts in Mulvey and Josh. You cannot tell me out of the hundreds of dudes in the portal there wasn't a physical PF interested in playing at the P5 level. It's so maddening to see Fran's arrogance cost this team a shot at a Sweet 16 again.

3-17 (18%) Tonight
4-19 (21%) Last night
I agree with you but it goes beyond making 3's. They could not get anything resembling a clean look all night because of TCU's ball pressure. Fran thinks moving the ball is the great equalizer against more athletic teams but it's not. Pmac, Connor, and Sandfort had no prayer against TCU's athleticism and our best player was shut down two games in a row by physical defense.

Fran can go to the portal like everyone else but he is too good for it. The result is a tenacious but undersized Rebraca and two busts in Mulvey and Josh. You cannot tell me out of the hundreds of dudes in the portal there wasn't a physical PF interested in playing at the P5 level. It's so maddening to see Fran's arrogance cost this team a shot at a Sweet 16 again.
There were plenty. Inexcusable not to have hit the portal hard for front court help when anyone can see it was going to be a huge problem. Our poor recruiting year after year after year after year doesn’t help either.

Hello, I was here all summer.
Sincerely,
The transfer portal.

If b-ball and fball do not EMBRACE the portal, both are F’D!

My 10+ loss for this team is very much in play. Too many deficiencies to be a real contender.
12+. Don't move the goal posts on yourself.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I agree with you but it goes beyond making 3's. They could not get anything resembling a clean look all night because of TCU's ball pressure. Fran thinks moving the ball is the great equalizer against more athletic teams but it's not. Pmac, Connor, and Sandfort had no prayer against TCU's athleticism and our best player was shut down two games in a row by physical defense.

Very true, but we missed a lot of bunnies and wide open shots early. Once we got behind we started forcing bad shots and it snowballed from there. make more of those early ones and who knows...

Reactions: perryhawk
I still believe this team has a high ceiling, but we will not reach it unless we figure out how to effectively defend the ball screen.

I don't understand why we didn't force TCU to make outside jump shots by going zone more often tonight.

Hopefully the team and coaches use this experience and it makes Iowa a stronger team moving forward.

Live by the 3, die by the 3... kinda the team we are. Only make three like tonight and we wont win many of those games.
PMAC got clean looks on his 0-3. Sandfort rushed his 0-3 shots. CMAC looked to be pretty deep on his 0-2. Perks also 0-2.....lot of Iowa guys took 3pt shots, most of them pulled an 0-fer.

17 3pt shots isn't a lot...3-17 isn't very good but I also think TCU played pretty good defense and didn't give Iowa wide open looks. I don't think Iowa is going to beat a team like TCU withought shooting the 3ball well because we won't beat them in low post or 2nd chance paint points or full court press.

dissappointing loss....Fran needs to go with more ulis/bowen

I still believe this team has a high ceiling, but we will not reach it unless we figure out how to effectively defend the ball screen.

I don't understand why we didn't force TCU to make outside jump shots by going zone more often tonight.

Hopefully the team and coaches use this experience and it makes Iowa a stronger team moving forward.

Agree but it seems to me Fran has proven he doesnt know how to teach zone. If we play it the only hope is they miss wide open shots because they'll get them.

Spot on!!

Good to see that the same over reacting posters jump on the negativity bandwagon after one loss. Why wait and see what this team can do this year when you can trash the team after their first loss? I’m sure we were all thinking they’d go undefeated.

Seriously, give them a chance to correct mistakes and have a solid year. I get emotional during games too but no way were we going undefeated.

Good to see that the same over reacting posters jump on the negativity bandwagon after one loss. Why wait and see what this team can do this year when you can trash the team after their first loss? I’m sure we were all thinking they’d go undefeated.

Seriously, give them a chance to correct mistakes and have a solid year. I get emotional during games too but no way were we going undefeated.
While I might be inclined to agree about one game. But
Is anyone wrong in saying physical toughness has always been a problem? Would you disagree this is a big part of the reason we don’t advance in the ncaa?
When has defense and toughness ever really been addressed by this staff?

While I might be inclined to agree about one game. But
Is anyone wrong in saying physical toughness has always been a problem? Would you disagree this is a big part of the reason we don’t advance in the ncaa?
When has defense and toughness ever really been addressed by this staff?
It may be a reason we won’t advance but since we’ve only played 6 games and only lost one of them I can say for a fact that I don’t know where this team is going. I do know for a fact that the last 2 years posters have overreacted at the first loss and predicted no tourney and the demise of Iowa basketball. Just give them a chance to correct mistakes and make improvements. But then, it is just a message board which basically was created for overreacting fans.

Fran tried extremely hard to get bigs in the portal this off season. Like everything else, we were runner up. Fran recruits very hard and just can't reel in the big ones. He gets darn close but just can't get there.

Fran tried extremely hard to get bigs in the portal this off season. Like everything else, we were runner up. Fran recruits very hard and just can't reel in the big ones. He gets darn close but just can't get there.

Did he really? Not saying he didnt, just cuious to know who he actually went after

After 12 years does that mean it’s time for a change?

Did he really? Not saying he didnt, just cuious to know who he actually went after

Man, I forget names and even where they landed because kids change so often. The one kid from Utah Valley St. that everyone wanted we were right there at the end and then another two fairly solid posts he went after and didn't get from smaller schools.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT