ADVERTISEMENT

One plug to rule them all?

I think they will all charge wirelessly via WIFI routers eventually.

I like the magnet type charging cords some things have.

So, to sum up the idiocy in this (and another) threads:

"OMG- Government is going to require a standard for smartphone charging cables!!!"
"OMG- Electric Vehicles might not be compatible w/o a government standard for charging cables!!!"

Gorgeous!!!
It makes sense to standardize charging cables for electric vehicles. Smartphones, not so much.

Which wasn't my claim.
Your seem to finally acknowledge that third-party lightning cables are now both cheap and fully compatible with all Apple products. Which means you’re arguing that we
need to standardize smartphone charging cables because once upon a time, 10 years ago, there was a short period of time when people who spent $649 for a new iPhone 5 were forced to spend $19 for an official Apple replacement charging cable if they lost or damaged the one that came included with the phone.

Not really... there are all kinds of different kinds of light bulb configurations.
Joey’s gone full potato this morning.

base-types_grande.png

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
I think every new phone I’ve ever purchased came with a charging cord. And if one gets lost or damaged, I can get a new one at Walmart for $10. I don’t see a problem here. Besides, in a few years most of our charging will be done wirelessly anyway. This is unnecessary legislation and regulation.
Given the inefficiency of it, I’m surprised the EU hasn’t banned wireless charging.
But it is convenient.

What I wonder about with these decidedly well meaning regulations is, the power cord is also a data cable. Are we going to go through EU bureaucrats instead of the market to decide what data cable innovations have merit? What will it take to get a ‘better mousetrap’ made into the next standard?
It’s easy to imagine sclerotic bureaucracy stifling innovation, especially in something as rapid cycle development as IT.

Your seem to finally acknowledge that third-party lightning cables are now both cheap and fully compatible with all Apple products.
That wasn't what I'd posted.

My post indicated when they first came out, knock-off products were NOT compatible and Apple jobbed people for $30 a pop.

You know this, but continue to ignore it.

That wasn't what I'd posted.

My post indicated when they first came out, knock-off products were NOT compatible and Apple jobbed people for $30 a pop.

You know this, but continue to ignore it.
Apple charged $19 a pop when they first came out. And, again, one was included with your $649 phone.

All standards, bud.
Yep. Literally dozens of standardized types and sizes of bulbs. What are there - 2 types of cell phone charging cables? By your definition, cell phone chargers are already standardized. All USB-C chargers are the same and all lightning cables are the same.

Apple charged $19 a pop when they first came out.
And $30 for adapters to connect them to about everything else.

USB-C standard eliminates that "profit model" to the benefit of consumers.
And, as they've noted, will substantially reduce landfill waste for out-of-date stuff as companies would continue this profitable (consumer-unfriendly) business model in perpetuity.

Yep. Literally dozens of standardized types and sizes of bulbs
Yes, but I was referring to what YOU typically purchase for your home.
There are probably 5 of those "standard" sizes you ever even see for your home.

Because: Standards.

Kinda comical that you were lamenting the lack of an EV charging standard in the other thread, ain't it?
What’s comical about it? This thread specifically addresses “small and medium-sized rechargeable, portable electronic devices.”

You’re the one who dragged EVs into this thread. Electric vehicles are not small or medium-sized rechargeable, portable electronic devices.

Clean yourself up, man. This is getting embarrassing.

What’s comical about it? This thread specifically addresses “small and medium-sized rechargeable, portable electronic devices.”

You’re the one who dragged EVs into this thread.
I'm the one who dragged "standards" into this thread.

You don't have to buy ONLY FEIT or Phillips or Sanyo light bulbs for your house, because there are STANDARDS.

I'm the one who dragged "standards" into this thread.
You declared it comical that Trad supports standardized charging cables for EVs but not for cell phones. It’s not even a little bit comical. It’s a perfectly logical position.

Today had not been one of your better days on the HORT.

Reactions: The Tradition
You declared it comical that Trad supports standardized charging cables for EVs but not for cell phones.

No. He was complaining about the likelihood of having incompatible EV charging.
Which is literally the same thing the EU provision will fully "fix" for mobile devices.

(And, FWIW, EVs are "mobile devices", too. Just very large ones)

No. He was complaining about the likelihood of having incompatible EV charging.
Which is literally the same thing the EU provision will fully "fix" for mobile devices.

(And, FWIW, EVs are "mobile devices", too. Just very large ones)

'Sorry, Joe. We can't market this new superfast EV battery because current charger regulations don't support it."

That's what these sorts of regulations create. Barriers to innovation.

'Sorry, Joe. We can't market this new superfast EV battery because current charger regulations don't support it."

That's what these sorts of regulations create. Barriers to innovation.
LMAO!!!
No.

Regulations provide a STANDARD so that EVERYONE'S car is able to charge off a charging station.
Just like I'd noted for you, if EVERY auto maker used a different gas tank filling tube-size.

LMAO!!!
No.

Regulations provide a STANDARD so that EVERYONE'S car is able to charge off a charging station.
Just like I'd noted for you, if EVERY auto maker used a different gas tank filling tube-size.

A filling hole in the side of a car isn't the same level of technology as a rechargeable battery....

Again, someone designs some new supercool thing, but the thousands of chargers all across the country can't support it. And if that's the "regulatory standard" then it can't be brought to market. So the great idea dies on the drawing board.

I found this little nugget from the OP’s link to be interesting:

Reducing electronic waste is another goal. The EU estimates disposed or unused chargers account for 11,000 metric tons of e-waste in Europe every year.

“One in every three chargers that is bundled with these products is never opened from its original packaging,” according to the European Commission’s impact assessment, Saliba said.

It sounds to me like the main problem isn’t that there are too many different types of cables and people have to get a new one every time they get a different device.

It sounds like the real problem is that a lot of people aren’t even using the cables that come with the device because they already had one that works just fine from their previous device.

Reactions: Gimmered
A filling hole in the side of a car isn't the same level of technology as a rechargeable battery....
Per the way standards work, it's exactly the same thing.

It is why diesel pump handles have a larger diameter, to prevent anyone accidentally putting diesel into their gasoline vehicle.

I found this little nugget from the OP’s link to be interesting:

Reducing electronic waste is another goal. The EU estimates disposed or unused chargers account for 11,000 metric tons of e-waste in Europe every year.

“One in every three chargers that is bundled with these products is never opened from its original packaging,” according to the European Commission’s impact assessment, Saliba said.

It sounds to me like the main problem isn’t that there are too many different types of cables and people have to get a new one every time they get a different device.

It sounds like the real problem is that a lot of people aren’t even using the cables that come with the device because they already had one that works just fine from their previous device.

...and once there's a standard, the phone/mobile device makers may not continue shipping new cords and chargers since most don't need them.

Per the way standards work, it's exactly the same thing.

It is why diesel pump handles have a larger diameter, to prevent anyone accidentally putting diesel into their gasoline vehicle.

So, you're saying that an electricity connection at a charger is nothing more than a simple hole that electricity flow through? Really???

No.

I'm saying it's a "standard". Just like gas pump handle sizes.

So, innovation isn't going to change the pump handle sizes, but innovation could render the current generation of car chargers obsolete.

But you know that and yet you continue to play the fool here at HORT.

Which means there doesn't need any government regulation to make that happen.

Yeah, there does. Just like other "Standards" which are generally put forth by relevant industry collaborations and adopted by governments. It's why the US has one tooling system, the rest of the world has the metric system.

Yeah, there does. Just like other "Standards" which are generally put forth by relevant industry collaborations and adopted by governments. It's why the US has one tooling system, the rest of the world has the metric system.

Metric sucks.

You mean like how most cell phone manufacturers use USB-C while Apple uses lightning cables? This is only slightly less stupid than your light bulb analogy.

Metric sucks.
Metric does not suck. It would take some time to adjust to thinking in terms of kilograms instead of pounds and kilometers instead of miles, but the Base-10 metric system is vastly superior to the Imperial system.

Here’s everything you need to know about which one is better - the British developed the Imperial system and the French developed the metric system. The British have since abandoned their own system in favor of metric.

When the British concede that the French did something better than they did, you can book it.

Reactions: Gimmered
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT