ADVERTISEMENT

Operation 2025 and the Elimination of Overtime Pay; Page 592

TheCainer

HB Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Congress should provide flexibility to employers and employees to calculate the overtime period over a longer number of weeks.
Specifically, employers and employees should be able to set a two- or four- week period over which to calculate overtime. This would give workers greater flexibility to work more hours in one week and fewer hours in the next and would not require the employer to pay them more for that same total number of hours of work during the entire period.

LOL. Who do they think they are trying to fool? MAGAs? (Of course they are.)

So under this provision, an employer can work their people 80 hours in one week and none in the next week (in a 2-week scenario) and not pay any overtime. Or, they could work their people 80+ hours in one week and then 80- hours over the next 3 weeks (in a 4-week scenario) and not pay any overtime. Who would decide these scenarios anyway? It implies that it could be either the employer or the employees. Who really believes this option? (MAGAs, of course) It would definitely fall under the decisions of the employer, and to his economic advantage.

A company can be facing a critical production schedule where 40+ hours would have to be performed over a multiple week schedule to make a delivery schedule requirement and they could avoid overtime pay by getting the required production done in a 3 week period and then they could tell their workers to take week #4 off and not have to pay overtime. (I doubt the workers could file for unemployment for that 4th week since labor laws favor the employer.)

Or worse yet, first responders would have to work 40+ hours in a week to battle wildfires threatening populated communities which could result in multiple weeks of these work requirements. Once overtime hours are reached, in either a 2-week or a 4-week scenario, first responders could be told to stay home after working 80 hours or 160 hours respectively, and a 2nd inexperienced crew could be called in who would be unable to meet the "production" of the "first-team" members in fighting the destructive fires. What could go wrong with this strategy? (This is just a simple example as there are other examples of a "first team" outperforming a "second team" besides firefighting when it comes to "production" requirements.) If there is nothing wrong with this kind of thinking, let's try it with the military the next time we go to war and see what the results might be. Let's pull back the experienced troops from the front line and replace them with the raw recruits. What could go wrong?

Trump claims that he supports the working man, and nothing could be farther from the truth if they implement this plan. He wants to cut their income for the benefit of the employer.

Dems suck at messaging, but if they didn’t, they’d be running ads simply stating “Trump and Vance want to eliminate overtime pay.”

Let them call the Ds liars. Who cares?
And, yet, the president of the Teamsters was at the RNC. Trump, Vance, and Project 2025 would be a terrible for union workers, but for unknown reasons he gets decent support from the rank and file. I guess they'd rather be aggrieved victims than support candidates who would work for them.

And, yet, the president of the Teamsters was at the RNC. Trump, Vance, and Project 2025 would be a terrible for union workers, but for unknown reasons he gets decent support from the rank and file. I guess they'd rather be aggrieved victims than support candidates who would work for them.
I guess they'd rather be aggrieved victims than support candidates who would work for them.

In other words, MAGAs.

Congress should provide flexibility to employers and employees to calculate the overtime period over a longer number of weeks.
Specifically, employers and employees should be able to set a two- or four- week period over which to calculate overtime. This would give workers greater flexibility to work more hours in one week and fewer hours in the next and would not require the employer to pay them more for that same total number of hours of work during the entire period.

So under this provision, an employer can work their people 80 hours in one week and none in the next week (in a 2-week scenario) and not pay any overtime. Or, they could work their people 80+ hours in one week and then 80- hours over the next 3 weeks (in a 4-week scenario) and not pay any overtime. Who would decide these scenarios anyway? It implies that it could be either the employer or the employees. Who really believes this option? (MAGAs, of course) It would definitely fall under the decisions of the employer, and to his economic advantage.

A company can be facing a critical production schedule where 40+ hours would have to be performed over a multiple week schedule to make a delivery schedule requirement and they could avoid overtime pay by getting the required production done in a 3 week period and then they could tell their workers to take week #4 off and not have to pay overtime. (I doubt the workers could file for unemployment for that 4th week since labor laws favor the employer.)

Or worse yet, first responders would have to work 40+ hours in a week to battle wildfires threatening populated communities which could result in multiple weeks of these work requirements. Once overtime hours are reached, in either a 2-week or a 4-week scenario, first responders could be told to stay home after working 80 hours or 160 hours respectively, and a 2nd inexperienced crew could be called in who would be unable to meet the "production" of the "first-team" members in fighting the destructive fires. What could go wrong with this strategy? (This is just a simple example as there are other examples of a "first team" outperforming a "second team" besides firefighting when it comes to "production" requirements.) If there is nothing wrong with this kind of thinking, let's try it with the military the next time we go to war and see what the results might be. Let's pull back the experienced troops from the front line and replace them with the raw recruits. What could go wrong?

Trump claims that he supports the working man, and nothing could be farther from the truth if they implement this plan. He wants to cut their income for the benefit of the employer.
Thank the good lord baby Jesus that the republicans aren’t supporting this radical shit.

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
Exactly what America needs, More of a shift from working class pay being shifted into executives pockets. Add in more corporate tax breaks because

gekko-gordongekko.gif

It sounds like something some companies do right now.
And nowhere does it say that companies can’t ask for volunteers who might not mind flexible hours and work options instead of overtime.
It does sound like they would give companies a greater ability to avoid paying time and a half. For some operating close to the margins it could help them stay in business and keep those employees.

Here in Jax the City auditors found some of the waste haulers (garbage men) made $102,000 in 2022 for overtime. Not bad but our rates are likely to go up next year.
It’s all a trade off but those scare mongers are just gonna scream and hope no one asks for the details.
BTW when was 2025 made an official part of the Republican platform? I missed that.

I dont support this for a lot of reasons. However just for ME only, I would like this. I would gladly work extra in one week and have extra time off the next week. I could work double every other week if I could go camping for 7 days every other week.

Reactions: goldmom
Uh, no, they do not "do it right now"...
Off the record there are some establishments who do work with employees already to be more flexible. Some businesses are able to do that.

Others rely on a JIT delivery model or produce products where it’s all hands on deck or the assembly of the finished product stops. Or they train employees to be able to do more than one thing so that the company can offer flexibility.

Off the record there are some establishments who do work with employees already to be more flexible. Some businesses are able to do that.

Others rely on a JIT delivery model or produce products where it’s all hands on deck or the assembly of the finished product stops. Or they train employees to be able to do more than one thing so that the company can offer flexibility.
What companies are these? Name a few.

As for your last paragraph, wtf does that demonstrate?

Something like this already exists under the Fair Labor Standards Act. It's called the Fluctuating Workweek Method. And there are different provisions for first responders.

To make clear our commitment, we offer to the American people the 2024 GOP Platform to Make America Great Again! It is a forward-looking Agenda that begins with the following twenty promises that we will accomplish very quickly when we win the White House and Republican Majorities in the House and Senate.

1. SEAL THE BORDER, AND STOP THE MIGRANT INVASION
  2. CARRY OUT THE LARGEST DEPORTATION OPERATION IN AMERICAN HISTORY
  3. END INFLATION, AND MAKE AMERICA AFFORDABLE AGAIN
  4. MAKE AMERICA THE DOMINANT ENERGY PRODUCER IN THE WORLD, BY FAR!
  5. STOP OUTSOURCING, AND TURN THE UNITED STATES INTO A MANUFACTURING SUPERPOWER
  6. LARGE TAX CUTS FOR WORKERS, AND NO TAX ON TIPS!
  7. DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION, OUR BILL OF RIGHTS, AND OUR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS, INCLUDING FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM OF RELIGION, AND THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
  8. PREVENT WORLD WAR THREE, RESTORE PEACE IN EUROPE AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND BUILD A GREAT IRON DOME MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD OVER OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY -- ALL MADE IN AMERICA
  9. END THE WEAPONIZATION OF GOVERNMENT AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
  10. STOP THE MIGRANT CRIME EPIDEMIC, DEMOLISH THE FOREIGN DRUG CARTELS, CRUSH GANG VIOLENCE, AND LOCK UP VIOLENT OFFENDERS
  11. REBUILD OUR CITIES, INCLUDING WASHINGTON DC, MAKING THEM SAFE, CLEAN, AND BEAUTIFUL AGAIN.
  12. STRENGTHEN AND MODERNIZE OUR MILITARY, MAKING IT, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE STRONGEST AND MOST POWERFUL IN THE WORLD
  13. KEEP THE U.S. DOLLAR AS THE WORLD'S RESERVE CURRENCY
  14. FIGHT FOR AND PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE WITH NO CUTS, INCLUDING NO CHANGES TO THE RETIREMENT AGE
  15. CANCEL THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANDATE AND CUT COSTLY AND BURDENSOME REGULATIONS
  16. CUT FEDERAL FUNDING FOR ANY SCHOOL PUSHING CRITICAL RACE THEORY, RADICAL GENDER IDEOLOGY, AND OTHER INAPPROPRIATE RACIAL, SEXUAL, OR POLITICAL CONTENT ON OUR CHILDREN
  17. KEEP MEN OUT OF WOMEN'S SPORTS
  18. DEPORT PRO-HAMAS RADICALS AND MAKE OUR COLLEGE CAMPUSES SAFE AND PATRIOTIC AGAIN
  19. SECURE OUR ELECTIONS, INCLUDING SAME DAY VOTING, VOTER IDENTIFICATION, PAPER BALLOTS, AND PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP
  20. UNITE OUR COUNTRY BY BRINGING IT TO NEW AND RECORD LEVELS OF SUCCESS

To make clear our commitment, we offer to the American people the 2024 GOP Platform to Make America Great Again! It is a forward-looking Agenda that begins with the following twenty promises that we will accomplish very quickly when we win the White House and Republican Majorities in the House and Senate.

1. SEAL THE BORDER, AND STOP THE MIGRANT INVASION
  2. CARRY OUT THE LARGEST DEPORTATION OPERATION IN AMERICAN HISTORY
  3. END INFLATION, AND MAKE AMERICA AFFORDABLE AGAIN
  4. MAKE AMERICA THE DOMINANT ENERGY PRODUCER IN THE WORLD, BY FAR!
  5. STOP OUTSOURCING, AND TURN THE UNITED STATES INTO A MANUFACTURING SUPERPOWER
  6. LARGE TAX CUTS FOR WORKERS, AND NO TAX ON TIPS!
  7. DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION, OUR BILL OF RIGHTS, AND OUR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS, INCLUDING FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM OF RELIGION, AND THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
  8. PREVENT WORLD WAR THREE, RESTORE PEACE IN EUROPE AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND BUILD A GREAT IRON DOME MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD OVER OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY -- ALL MADE IN AMERICA
  9. END THE WEAPONIZATION OF GOVERNMENT AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
  10. STOP THE MIGRANT CRIME EPIDEMIC, DEMOLISH THE FOREIGN DRUG CARTELS, CRUSH GANG VIOLENCE, AND LOCK UP VIOLENT OFFENDERS
  11. REBUILD OUR CITIES, INCLUDING WASHINGTON DC, MAKING THEM SAFE, CLEAN, AND BEAUTIFUL AGAIN.
  12. STRENGTHEN AND MODERNIZE OUR MILITARY, MAKING IT, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE STRONGEST AND MOST POWERFUL IN THE WORLD
  13. KEEP THE U.S. DOLLAR AS THE WORLD'S RESERVE CURRENCY
  14. FIGHT FOR AND PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE WITH NO CUTS, INCLUDING NO CHANGES TO THE RETIREMENT AGE
  15. CANCEL THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANDATE AND CUT COSTLY AND BURDENSOME REGULATIONS
  16. CUT FEDERAL FUNDING FOR ANY SCHOOL PUSHING CRITICAL RACE THEORY, RADICAL GENDER IDEOLOGY, AND OTHER INAPPROPRIATE RACIAL, SEXUAL, OR POLITICAL CONTENT ON OUR CHILDREN
  17. KEEP MEN OUT OF WOMEN'S SPORTS
  18. DEPORT PRO-HAMAS RADICALS AND MAKE OUR COLLEGE CAMPUSES SAFE AND PATRIOTIC AGAIN
  19. SECURE OUR ELECTIONS, INCLUDING SAME DAY VOTING, VOTER IDENTIFICATION, PAPER BALLOTS, AND PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP
  20. UNITE OUR COUNTRY BY BRINGING IT TO NEW AND RECORD LEVELS OF SUCCESS
This is all just more BS talking points.

GOP has done NOTHING to "fight for" Medicare and SS - they've done exactly the opposite, not putting forth a SINGLE plan to keep them solvent.

It does sound like they would give companies a greater ability to avoid paying time and a half. For some operating close to the margins it could help them stay in business and keep those employees.
This is one of my favorite conservative arguments. Let me translate:

You have to let us exploit our employees because we aren't good enough to succeed if we can't exploit our workers.

This is one of my favorite conservative arguments. Let me translate:

You have to let us exploit our employees because we aren't good enough to succeed if we can't exploit our workers.

"If I have to pay my employees a fair wage, I cannot buy the extra 2025 Lexus SUV for my 4-car garage. It will leave one garage bay fully empty. WHAT WILL MY NEIGHBORS THINK OF ME THEN!!!???"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT