ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Ron DeSantis’s presidential campaign could be brief

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Most great politicians have the skin of an elephant and the memory of a flea. After all, today’s adversary might be tomorrow’s ally.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has it the wrong way around. That means his quest for the Republican presidential nomination, which he is expected to announce this week, will be interesting. And, unless he evolves, it could be brief.

Polls still show DeSantis as having the best chance to defeat Donald Trump in the GOP race. But they also show his prospects rapidly heading in the wrong direction. RealClearPolitics found in its average of polls that in late February, DeSantis trailed Trump by just 13 percentage points. On Monday, however, Trump led DeSantis by 37 points, with much of the gap having grown in recent weeks.

This trend line is hardly encouraging for DeSantis’s theory of the case. His bet is that Republican voters want a nominee who has a proven track record of enacting conservative policies and who models Trump’s pugnacity but is not burdened with the former president’s mountain of baggage.

Using GOP control of the Florida legislature as though it were a campaign billboard, DeSantis has loosened the state’s gun laws; lowered the threshold for imposing the death penalty; expanded school vouchers; and imposed “anti-woke” restrictions on teachers and administrators at every level of public education, including in the state’s universities. He has made it illegal for doctors to provide gender-transition care for minors. To top it off, he signed a bill establishing a six-week abortion ban, which — if allowed to take effect by the Florida Supreme Court — would be one of the most draconian in the nation.

Ta-da! Yet his poll numbers keep going down, not up.

DeSantis is not helping himself with his obsessive crusade against the Walt Disney Co., which offended him last year by criticizing his “don’t say gay” law banning discussion of gender and sexuality in public schools. Trying to punish a company for statements that had no practical impact — except, perhaps, on DeSantis’s brittle ego — seems wildly at odds with traditional conservative values.

It also seems really stupid. Disney CEO Bob Iger announced last week that the company is canceling plans for a new $1 billion office campus near Walt Disney World that would have created 2,000 jobs. Earlier this year, Iger said at a shareholders’ meeting that Disney had long-term plans to invest $17 billion in the Disney World complex — which means that Iger has 16 billion more cards to play in this poker game. How many does DeSantis have?
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

The Disney thing would just be a loopy sideshow if it didn’t highlight traits that could hold DeSantis back as a presidential candidate — and that would be dangerous for the nation and the world if, heaven forbid, he ever became president: paper-thin skin, a propensity to hold grudges and a tendency to go way too far.

The abortion legislation is a prime example. Last year, before the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade, DeSantis signed into law a 15-week ban. That restriction is now in effect, even as the state Supreme Court considers a challenge filed by Planned Parenthood and other groups that is based on prior rulings by that court protecting abortion as a privacy right under the Florida constitution.

DeSantis could have left the issue alone. But he apparently determined that no potential competitor should outflank him on abortion, so he demanded that the legislature give him a six-week ban. Lawmakers complied last month. But it is clear from polls and election results that setting the deadline for terminating a pregnancy at a point before many women even know they are pregnant goes far beyond what even many “pro-life” Americans are prepared to mandate. Perhaps that is why DeSantis announced his signing of that bill into law on a Thursday around 11 p.m. with no public fanfare.
In a phone call with supporters and donors last week, the New York Times reports, DeSantis argued that he should be the nominee “based on all the data in the swing states, which is not great for the former president and probably insurmountable because people aren’t going to change their view of him.”

But how does he imagine his six-week abortion ban, his law letting Floridians carry concealed firearms without a permit, his attempts to squelch free speech on college campuses, and his death-match against the Magic Kingdom will play in those swing states? Why would suburban women who voted for Joe Biden in 2020 vote for Ron DeSantis in 2024?
Great politicians learn from their mistakes and course correct as necessary. DeSantis seems not to understand that going full-speed ahead is a bad idea if you’re approaching a cliff.

I predict vivek will overtake desantis for the number 2 republican slot by EoY.

Interesting comment about today's rival being tomorrow ally. Reminds me of Harris calling biden a racist in the primary debates only to end up as his VP pick later. I do think Biden "punished" her for that when he made her the border czar (an unwinnable position) though she absolutely ignored that directive anyways so not sure it really meant anything at the end of the day. Still interesting that politicians will overlook extreme character attacks if it means their polling will go up even 1 percentage point.

I don't think any of that is the reason why he has fallen behind in polls in the Republican primary.

I think the reason he's dropped in the Republican polls is he's shown himself to be a coward. Donald Trump basically went after him from November 2022 up til just recently and DeSantis wouldn't say a word against him or defend himself.

He needed to go on the offensive as soon as Trump did. Quite frankly I think one of the things the Republicans love about Trump is he goes on the offensive quickly and against anyone who might meet his ire. They don't want a politician who is cautious.

I don't think any of that is the reason why he has fallen behind in polls in the Republican primary.

I think the reason he's dropped in the Republican polls is he's shown himself to be a coward. Donald Trump basically went after him from November 2022 up til just recently and DeSantis wouldn't say a word against him or defend himself.

He needed to go on the offensive as soon as Trump did. Quite frankly I think one of the things the Republicans love about Trump is he goes on the offensive quickly.
That and it appears Disney is winning the PR battle against him

That and it appears Disney is winning the PR battle against him

I think the appearance that Disney is winning on the legal end might hurt as well. I don't think they care about Disney the company or the idea that DeSantis is being bad for business or even costing jobs.

But they do care that Disney looks like they are winning.

Perhaps DeSantis should have gone the Trump route of verbally bashing Disney without actually trying to use state power to punish them. Not because I think it bothers the R's that state power is being used to punish Disney, but because the appearance that DeSantis might lose.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I predict vivek will overtake desantis for the number 2 republican slot by EoY.

Interesting comment about today's rival being tomorrow ally. Reminds me of Harris calling biden a racist in the primary debates only to end up as his VP pick later. I do think Biden "punished" her for that when he made her the border czar (an unwinnable position) though she absolutely ignored that directive anyways so not sure it really meant anything at the end of the day. Still interesting that politicians will overlook extreme character attacks if it means their polling will go up even 1 percentage point.

Is Vivek gonna have "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli as his VP? Seems they were close at one time....

Is Vivek a "Pharma-Bro"?

I think the appearance that Disney is winning on the legal end might hurt as well. I don't think they care about Disney the company or the idea that DeSantis is being bad for business or even costing jobs.

Perhaps DeSantis should have gone the Trump route of verbally bashing Disney without actually trying to use state power to punish them. Not because I think it bothers the R's that state power is being used to punish Disney, but because the appearance that DeSantis might lose.

He is going to lose. That thing they did with their Board was brilliant. It was right out in the open. Posted Agendas, etc. He is not going to overturn that.

He is not suited at all to be president when he is that thin skinned.

I think this is especially true for the primaries. The economic reality of the Disney stuff isn't all that important, the policy realities of all the anti-woke laws signed, if they did something, if they were overturned by the courts, etc. doesn't really matter.

To your point, it's whether he's perceived to be a winner. That was always a big part of Trump's cult of personality. He was a winner and his fans were part of a winning team, and if he didn't win, it was because he was cheated.

Doesn't seem like DeSantis has that same allure, and winners definitely don't sit back and take it.

It was cute to see how many people deluded themselves into thinking DeSantis would be the nominee. He won’t beat Trump, and he’s not going to beat the mouse.

I said this from the start….Trump will eat this guy alive….and he is doing just that.

Reactions: cigaretteman

He needed to go on the offensive as soon as Trump did. Quite frankly I think one of the things the Republicans love about Trump is he goes on the offensive quickly and against anyone who might meet his ire. They don't want a politician who is cautious.
He needs to re-tool his campaign. He's running for President like he's still running for governor of Florida. Going up to NH and telling those people he's going make NH like Florida ain't the best campaign strategy.

It was cute to see how many people deluded themselves into thinking DeSantis would be the nominee. He won’t beat Trump, and he’s not going to beat the mouse.

I said this from the start….Trump will eat this guy alive….and he is doing just that.
I despise Trump but I take some joy in him making certain Republican scumbags look like the cowardly wussies they are - Cruz, Jeb, Ron, Marco.

The Disney disaster is showing his childish side. He is cutting his nose off to spite his face. Anyone that is willing to fight a cash cow over petty childish shit like that has no business being the leader of anything. He makes Trump look mature. That's tough to do.

I despise Trump but I take some joy in him making certain Republican scumbags look like the cowardly wussies they are - Cruz, Jeb, Ron, Marco.
"Trump is Hitler but I love watching him own other Republicans."--Tom Paris

What an odd take.

"Trump is Hitler but I love watching him own other Republicans."--Tom Paris

What an odd take.
It’s sort of like “own the libs”.

I dislike Trump completely….however I am enjoying watching dumb republicans underestimate him again….and seeing them all bend to kiss the ring (again) will be hilarious. I am just hoping Trump insults Ron’s wife, Dad and Grandpa (and maybe even his great grandpa)….and then despite all that we get to see Ron endorse Trump and beg for a shot at VP….which will then go to Noem or Reynolds.

I used to care a lot more….but at this point I have very little faith in our population’s intelligence and decision making, so I’m just enjoying the ride.

The Disney disaster is showing his childish side. He is cutting his nose off to spite his face. Anyone that is willing to fight a cash cow over petty childish shit like that has no business being the leader of anything. He makes Trump look mature. That's tough to do.
Wrong! He is doing what the vast majority of Floridians elected him to do. He can be re-elected over and over for Governor the rest of his life if that is what he wants to do.

He hasn't even announced a bid for the White House and you libs are counting him out due to your fears he will win.

RonnyBoy is a snowflake and I suspect will have fundraising issues by the end of this year.

Republicans = Trash

He's gone on the offensive against all kinds of targets - including Mickey Mouse, gays, the trans community, teachers, and women. DeSantis is the opposite of cautious - he should be a GOP poster child based on that take.

He's gone on the offensive against all kinds of targets - including Mickey Mouse, gays, the trans community, teachers, and women. DeSantis is the opposite of cautious - he should be a GOP poster child based on that take.

But he hasn't gone on the offensive against his chief rival meanwhile said chief rival went after him hard. He was too cautious to take on Trump.

To me it's kind of like a fighter who wants to be the champion but refuses to schedule a bout against the actual reigning champion.

Everyday Mericans are discovering what a prick DeSantis is with each story that surfaces.

Between Turd and RonnyBoy, the GOP has quite the leaderboard.

But he hasn't gone on the offensive against his chief rival meanwhile said chief rival went after him hard. He was too cautious to take on Trump.

To me it's kind of like a fighter who wants to be the champion but refuses to schedule a bout against the actual reigning champion.
If taking on the targets he DID go after caused him to drop amongst the MAGAt crowd, WTH would going after Trump directly have done? What could he have said? Trump lied about the election? That would play well. Trump should have been impeached? Ummm...yeah...no. DeSantis NEEDS Trump voters to have ANY shot and going after their god isn't going to help him at all.

Trump has surged at the expense of DeSantis because the MAGAts got a good look at that clown and realized he was unelectable on a national scale. The only shot DeSantis had would have been cozying up to Trump and subtly peeling away voters...being Trump without the baggage...but that idiot couldn't do subtle if his life depended on it. He's been exposed as Trump without the "charm".

More like a high school bully who beats up middle schoolers.

If taking on the targets he DID go after caused him to drop amongst the MAGAt crowd, WTH would going after Trump directly have done? What could he have said? Trump lied about the election? That would play well. Trump should have been impeached? Ummm...yeah...no. DeSantis NEEDS Trump voters to have ANY shot and going after their god isn't going to help him at all.

Trump has surged at the expense of DeSantis because the MAGAts got a good look at that clown and realized he was unelectable on a national scale. The only shot DeSantis had would have been cozying up to Trump and subtly peeling away voters...being Trump without the baggage...but that idiot couldn't do subtle if his life depended on it. He's been exposed as Trump without the "charm".

You give them far too much credit I think. For them this is all about a contest of being macho and apparently the most macho manly thing a person can do is insult other people.

While DeSantis has attacked all of these other groups, it's meaningless because he's not running for president against Mickey Mouse. He's right now running against Donald Trump. And Donald Trump simply has bullied him for the past 6 months.

He's not going to win over the hardcore trump voters but he had a chance with other people but he blew it by not fighting back against Trump.

Reactions: StonesCat
More like a high school bully who beats up middle schoolers.

BUT the high school bully is busy getting bullied by another high school bully.

The Republicans don't care that he's beating up middle schoolers. . . for the most part they think it's funny. (Except one of the middle schoolers popped him on the nose and that's a bit embarrassing) but the fact that he's not dealing with the guy bullying him has made him look weak.

Wrong! He is doing what the vast majority of Floridians elected him to do. He can be re-elected over and over for Governor the rest of his life if that is what he wants to do.

He hasn't even announced a bid for the White House and you libs are counting him out due to your fears he will win.
Florida governors are currently term limited so it will be big news if he runs again.

Th
It’s sort of like “own the libs”.

I dislike Trump completely….however I am enjoying watching dumb republicans underestimate him again….and seeing them all bend to kiss the ring (again) will be hilarious. I am just hoping Trump insults Ron’s wife, Dad and Grandpa (and maybe even his great grandpa)….and then despite all that we get to see Ron endorse Trump and beg for a shot at VP….which will then go to Noem or Reynolds.

I used to care a lot more….but at this point I have very little faith in our population’s intelligence and decision making, so I’m just enjoying the ride.
That is still an odd take when talking about the modern day Hitler.

you libs are counting him out due to your fears he will win.
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Cool, he can be the new Grassley. Get ultra comfortable in his current position because he can't hack it elsewhere.

Your stupidity has no bounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT