ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chiefs and other teams howling about reffing; even when the refs are correct

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
As a big chiefs fan I hate to say it but they shouldnt be overall yelling about the officials as the players themselves have dropped enough passes, had enough fumbles and picks, and committed some really stupid penalties, to add up to a year's worth in just the last 5-6 games. I try to see every replay, etc going for the hawks or my other teams, but there are many times that seeing is believing and your team made the mistake or didnt make the play. It is somewhat the case that "The Great Nullification" or the reversal of Cooper DeJean's awesome punt return was both a terrible call and also fan frustration at an offense that played so terrible as to make that reversal even matter.

Two weeks ago the refs did miss a very obvious PI penalty that might have led to the Chiefs tying up a game late. Even the discussion the next day is how can the league keep missing these penalties. But then just last Sunday the chielfs receiver was lined up about 1 foot offsides. The play turned out to be what looked like a beautiful long pass completion, then a run by Kelce whos threw a great lateral pass to another chief who ran it in for probably the winning score.

But the refs were correct, the flag thrown right away, and all the chiefs' many mistakes led to AReid and Mahomes being sore losers because of their own frustration. I think as fans we need to try to see the evidence in its true light, good or bad. How many times have you caught your homerism overweighing the evidence???

PS - If I am rambling it might be some meds I am on.

As a big chiefs fan I hate to say it but they shouldnt be overall yelling about the officials as the players themselves have dropped enough passes, had enough fumbles and picks, and committed some really stupid penalties, to add up to a year's worth in just the last 5-6 games. I try to see every replay, etc going for the hawks or my other teams, but there are many times that seeing is believing and your team made the mistake or didnt make the play. It is somewhat the case that "The Great Nullification" or the reversal of Cooper DeJean's awesome punt return was both a terrible call and also fan frustration at an offense that played so terrible as to make that reversal even matter.

Two weeks ago the refs did miss a very obvious PI penalty that might have led to the Chiefs tying up a game late. Even the discussion the next day is how can the league keep missing these penalties. But then just last Sunday the chielfs receiver was lined up about 1 foot offsides. The play turned out to be what looked like a beautiful long pass completion, then a run by Kelce whos threw a great lateral pass to another chief who ran it in for probably the winning score.

But the refs were correct, the flag thrown right away, and all the chiefs' many mistakes led to AReid and Mahomes being sore losers because of their own frustration. I think as fans we need to try to see the evidence in its true light, good or bad. How many times have you caught your homerism overweighing the evidence???

PS - If I am rambling it might be some meds I am on.
The Chiefs sure whine when something doesn't go their way. But they've been the recipient of some very horrendous calls.

That offsides play by the Chiefs isn't in the same stratosphere as the Cooper punt return.

WR was BEYOND the line of scrimmage and needs to be flagged EVERYTIME, which they did INSTANTLY.... Not going back to replay to change it like they did for Cooper. The punt return was disputable and a judgement call... Lining up beyond the ball is not a judgement call.

Crazy that Reid and Mahomes both complained in the postgame that you should/usually get a warning for that and that you CANNOT make that call in that situation.... LOL

Is this the team who, in the Super Bowl, got a do-over when their 4th down play didn't work?

That's what I thought. Patrick FromStateFarm should keep his damned mouth shut. The Bad Calls Scoreboard is about 83-2 in their favor the last handful of years.

The Chiefs sure whine when something doesn't go their way. But they've been the recipient of some very horrendous calls.

I know that the whining us getting all over nfl and college football especially with the INT/non INT calls by officials. I get sick of receivers making the "throw the flag" motion after every contested pass that is defensed. And I hate the other side that the dbacks routinely get away with clamping down on one of the receivers arms, and it is in plain sight of officials, but half the time not called.

Maybe it might be a better product to watch and even play by getting rid if the defensive holding and illegal contact after 5 yards as long as the offensive players can push off to get open. A lot less flags and stoppage in plays. Toughest guy wins.

There can still be personal foul calls for punching, elbowing, and some other more unsportsmanlike calls but plain old open hand pushes and grabs would be legal.

I found it interesting that 9 days ago the Chiefs coaches and players were bitching, saying the refs should have made the proper call and that they should have thrown a flag on pass interference at the end of the game. But 2 days ago Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes stated that they didn't want the refs to make the proper call and that they didn't want the refs to throw a flag on an obvious Chiefs off sides.

Even Patrick Mahomes can't have it both ways.

I found it interesting that 9 days ago the Chiefs coaches and players were bitching, saying the refs should have made the proper call and that they should have thrown a flag on pass interference at the end of the game. But 2 days ago Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes stated that they didn't want the refs to make the proper call and that they didn't want the refs to throw a flag on an obvious Chiefs off sides.

Even Patrick Mahomes can't have it both ways.
The road to the Super Bowl probably not going all the way through KC this year. See how they do on the road possibly.

And dang they should have kept Hill there.

Reactions: Franisdaman
This NFL rules expert was on the SVP show and he said the refs were '100% correct' to call the Chiefs offsides.

He also said 12 offsides have been called on the offense this season.

Watch:

Rex Ryan says the officials made the correct call on the Chiefs.

Watch:

Stephen A says that Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid embarrassed themselves with the referee complaints.

Watch:

Last edited:
The Jets got screwed against the Chiefs on a PI call when the ref waited until it was intercepted to throw the flag. That was the worst call I've ever seen.

Reactions: Sett1997
Mahomes says the refs should let them play.

Well, he was more than happy with this call in last year's Super Bowl.

Full text of the Will Compton tweet:

I get Mahomes doesn’t want a ticky-tack flag called in the final minute of the game

But it’s also what won him a Super Bowl with the Bradberry holding call last year

And as an All-State WR out of Missouri back in ‘08, I can tell you its bc I did the little things like check with the referee on my pre-snap alignment

Just my thoughts

The call in last year's Super Bowl:

This NFL rules expert was on the SVP show and he said the refs were '100% correct' to call the Chiefs offsides.

Watch:

Rex Ryan says the officials made the correct call on the Chiefs.

Watch:

Stephen A says that Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid embarrassed themselves with the referee complaints.

Watch:

It is in rule books and has been for 50 years. They aren't going to change it just because the Chiefs don't like it. I'm sure that if it was called against the Bills they wouldn't be whining.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It is in rule books and has been for 50 years. They aren't going to change it just because the Chiefs don't like it. I'm sure that if it was called against the Bills they wouldn't be whining.

I know there are several Chiefs fans on this forum but I am tired of the Chiefs; I hope some other team comes out of the AFC and advances to the Super Bowl.

On a side note: as long as the 49'ers stay healthy, not sure who is going to beat them.

I know there are several Chiefs fans on this forum but I am tired of the Chiefs; I hope some other team comes out of the AFC and advances to the Super Bowl.

On a side note: as long as the 49'ers stay healthy, not sure who is going to beat them.
haha, you are tired of the chiefs!!!! The poor chiefs that waited 50 years and multiple upsets against them in the playoffs to win a couple of Super Bowls.

But you are probably a Patriot fan who didnt mind them winning it every other year for 20 years

I work with a lot of people about Mahommes' age. Not speaking about everyone, but his reaction does not surprise me. It is a cultural shift. Andy on the other hand...

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
haha, you are tired of the chiefs!!!! The poor chiefs that waited 50 years and multiple upsets against them in the playoffs to win a couple of Super Bowls.

But you are probably a Patriot fan who didnt mind them winning it every other year for 20 years

I want @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset 's Minnesota Vikings to finally win a SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The Vikings have been to 10 Final Fours; they advanced 4 times to the Super Bowl and lost ALL 4 SUPER BOWLS!

They Vikings have been around for 62 years, too.

10 NFC Championship Game Appearances:

4 Super Bowl appearances, all losses:

I want @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset 's Minnesota Vikings to finally win a SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The Vikings have been to 10 Final Fours; they advanced 4 times to the Super Bowl and lost ALL 4 SUPER BOWLS!

They Vikings have been around for 62 years, too.

10 NFC Championship Game Appearances:

4 Super Bowl appearances, all losses:
Will never forget that Brett Favre throwback over the middle late. They are cursed.

Mahomes says the refs should let them play.

Well, he was more than happy with this call in last year's Super Bowl.

Full text of the Will Compton tweet:

I get Mahomes doesn’t want a ticky-tack flag called in the final minute of the game

But it’s also what won him a Super Bowl with the Bradberry holding call last year

And as an All-State WR out of Missouri back in ‘08, I can tell you its bc I did the little things like check with the referee on my pre-snap alignment

Just my thoughts

The call in last year's Super Bowl:

Is a guy who has a foot a half step on the line of scrimmage the same as contact w/a wide receiver? Don't know how many times I need to say this. Was it the correct call? Yes. Has Andy Reid had over 25K offensive snaps and never had that called on him in his entire career? Yes as well. It was called 1 time in 2021, and 2 times in 2022. For the entire season.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Is a guy who has a foot a half step on the line of scrimmage the same as contact w/a wide receiver? Don't know how many times I need to say this. Was it the correct call? Yes. Has Andy Reid had over 25K offensive snaps and never had that called on him in his entire career? Yes as well. It was called 1 time in 2021, and 2 times in 2022. For the entire season.
is-tonights-drama-reminding-anyone-else-of-dee-ford-lining-v0-zog00e235l5c1.png

The Chief's Dee Ford being offsides cost the Chiefs an AFC Championship in 2019.

Was the ref supposed to warn Dee?

Alignment and Assignment. This is professional football, not an instructional league.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene

He also said 12 offsides have been called on the offense this season.

Watch:

GUILTY. Wasn't even close.

Why does the offense get special privilege not afforded to defense?

I don’t mind the chiefs overall as much as I can’t stand Mahomes…and can even less tolerate the typical media infatuation with him. If he makes a sidearm throw it’s most magical thing in the world - yet when another QB does it virtually nothing is said. I don’t get the infatuation with him.

It’s satisfying to finally see the media actually calling out his BS crying after this game!! Love it.

And him complaining to Josh Allen rather than congratulating him (or just walk away!) was total bush league too!

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
In the Packers game - they were the benefactor of at least two horrendous calls that went for them too. The 4th quarter alone was a disaster for the officials. And yes, they missed the one pass interference call - the last play not so sure that ever gets called. Though I'm sure I would have bitched about it.

Reactions: herkhatescy
You're comparing a play that happens 4-5 times a game vs a play that was called one time in the entire league in 2023. But sure.
If you're trying to say the offsides call that was made on the Chiefs offense lining up in the nuetral zone has only been called once in 2023 - well you're wrong. The Packers were called twice for lining up offsides several games ago. In the same f'n quarter! And that was just on the helmet being offsides. Not the entire body to where you could not even see the football from down the line.

If I'm reading this incorrectly then my apologies.

GUILTY. Wasn't even close.

Why does the offense get special privilege not afforded to defense?
I have no idea. You’d have to ask the refs why it’s never been called in Andy Reds entire career. Or once in 2021. It’s basically never been called in the entire NFL. And Toney being the dumbass that he is actually line up 3 other times offsides in that game. And zero of them were called. Call them all or don’t call them at all is my point.

• Haha
If you're trying to say the offsides call that was made on the Chiefs offense lining up in the nuetral zone has only been called once in 2023 - well you're wrong. The Packers were called twice for lining up offsides several games ago. In the same f'n quarter! And that was just on the helmet being offsides. Not the entire body to where you could not even see the football from down the line.

If I'm reading this incorrectly then my apologies.
It was called once in the entire 2021 season. Twice in 2022. 11 times this season.

• Haha
I don’t mind the chiefs overall as much as I can’t stand Mahomes…and can even less tolerate the typical media infatuation with him. If he makes a sidearm throw it’s most magical thing in the world - yet when another QB does it virtually nothing is said. I don’t get the infatuation with him.

It’s satisfying to finally see the media actually calling out his BS crying after this game!! Love it.

And him complaining to Josh Allen rather than congratulating him (or just walk away!) was total bush league too!
Yep, don’t understand the media infatuation. He’s played 5 years and made the Super Bowl 3 (won 2 by the way) and played in the AFC championship game every year he’s played. He’s not bad. 😏

• Haha
Chiefs wouldn’t have beat burrow last year if head officals brother didn’t place a 35k bet on the chiefs to win, that game was HORRIBLY DONE and Chiefs are the LAST team that should complain about Referees after they got gifted a Super Bowl last year.

Chiefs have no receivers worth a lick and Kelce is starting to slow down. If they can win SBs with Rasheed Rice and Pacheco only, by all means. They won't so Reid and Co. better do all they can to get MHJr, Koleman or the others.

Meh.

A penalty is a penalty, and excuses are for wusses.....

Then they all should be more aware. He got off the line untouched and lining up offsides was part of the reason for that.
The 6 inches that he was offsides enabled Kelce to catch the pass and then lateral it to him 40 yards down the field? Huge advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT