ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dolphins vs Chiefs on Peacock exclusively; fans and others outraged

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I read this last night. Peacock/nbc paid $110 million to do this. Sucks pretty bad when people will have to pay or at least sign up for a trial to watch this game. By contract the two teams' local markets have the game on over the air tv.

There were comments in the article where people are hoping the ratings are terrible.

I just think to put a playoff game of the top rated sport in America on a separate pay channel is just way off in serving your fans.

Anyone going to sign up to peacock to watch this game. Pay a month and cancel for one game.

As a Dolphins fan, I quote Walt Jr:

giphy.gif

I read this last night. Peacock/nbc paid $110 million to do this. Sucks pretty bad when people will have to pay or at least sign up for a trial to watch this game. By contract the two teams' local markets have the game on over the air tv.

There were comments in the article where people are hoping the ratings are terrible.

I just think to put a playoff game of the top rated sport in America on a separate pay channel is just way off in serving your fans.

Anyone going to sign up to peacock to watch this game. Pay a month and cancel for one game.
It's the new way of the world.

Reactions: JRHawk2003

Already have it for Iowa football. I do not give a **** about the Chiefs. So don't care.

Time to fire up the illegal app.

Peacock wants people to signup and then forget to cancel. Which I am sure a crazy amount do.
I’m sure the preference would be to sign up and then find other content they like. Peacock is going to continue having B1G sports, weekly MLB games, etc. All these streaming services are dying to get live sports because that’s where all the best ad revenues come.

Already have it for Iowa football. I do not give a **** about the Chiefs. So don't care.
Well that is fine if you dont give a shit about the chiefs or the fish but the whole point is this is an unprecedented move for a playoff game. There might be 20 million people who want to watch it so to do a money grab for what I heard is a money losing streaming peacock is not good

A lot of regular season games are on Amazon, NFL network, espn, but there are always broadcast over the air games on for fans. And if you live close to your favorite team you get their game.

The game will be available on NBC in those markets. For the whiners just give up your damn 8$ dollar a day Starbucks and subscribe to peacock for 8$ A MONTH.

Well that is fine if you dont give a shit about the chiefs or the fish but the whole point is this is an unprecedented move for a playoff game. There might be 20 million people who want to watch it so to do a money grab for what I heard is a money losing streaming peacock is not good

A lot of regular season games are on Amazon, NFL network, espn, but there are always broadcast over the air games on for fans. And if you live close to your favorite team you get their game.
Certainly is NOT a customer friendly move. I have it but I justify the cost because I dropped the NFL package (actually did not re-up for it after Directv dropped it) and now I am dropping Directv completely. Saving a bunch of money and adding back other things right now but for far less money.

Hopefully enough people continue to not buy into all these streaming services (hello shady streaming for games).

Peacock lost BILLIONS last year, but they are bragging about having 30 million subscribers now. Many of which signed up for the 1 year deal for $20 on Black Friday that will temporarily bump up subscriptions.

It'll be a game of chicken between consumers and these streaming services. How long can they justify losing BILLIONS while they artificially build their subscription base on steep discounts.

I skipped the one year $20 deal in order to "stick it to the man".

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Dumb move by the NFL. I didn’t watch the national championship game last night because I don’t have cable

I would watch both if they were made available to me without needing to pay for them like they’ve been for the last two generations

Reactions: Tom Paris
Really hoping that the ratings are just trash for this game, when compared to all the others.

It's like they forget that they can charge big bucks for ads when they hit large audiences over a national NBC broadcast. Instead putting it on Peacock for fewer viewers and ad revenue.

Probably put some sitcom re-runs on NBC. LOL

Hopefully enough people continue to not buy into all these streaming services (hello shady streaming for games).

Peacock lost BILLIONS last year, but they are bragging about having 30 million subscribers now. Many of which signed up for the 1 year deal for $20 on Black Friday that will temporarily bump up subscriptions.

It'll be a game of chicken between consumers and these streaming services. How long can they justify losing BILLIONS while they artificially build their subscription base on steep discounts.

I skipped the one year $20 deal in order to "stick it to the man".

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
I have Peacock for the sports contracts they have, but I do think it’s the worst of the major-ish streaming services. AppleTV+, Prime, Hulu all have a better platform and better solo content. Max and Disney+ give you access into huge libraries of really good content. I’d put Paramount+ ahead of Peacock, too, but maybe that’s simply based on shows I like.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Currently paying $2/mo for Peacock Premium. Gotta watch for the bargains.

This is simply the future of TV. Instead of free TV with commercials and limited offerings, there are practically unlimited offerings that you pay for .... and commercials.

And it's going to get more expensive, and more "good stuff" will require a subscription.

This is simply the future of TV. Instead of free TV with commercials and limited offerings, there are practically unlimited offerings that you pay for .... and commercials.

And it's going to get more expensive, and more "good stuff" will require a subscription.

I agree that it's the future of TV..... Until the next great idea comes around. ;)

We'll see how many hacks they can take at the Football golden goose, without killing it.

Streaming may be the future, but not sure that every studio having their own service is what the final outcome will be.

I realize this is a discussion on streaming and Peacock. But let me reiterate what was posted: You have a choice Saturday night. Pay to watch the NFL on a pay streaming service or watch Caitlyn Clark. A brilliant move by FOX. I'm predicting the numbers for that regular season B1G game will be HUGE. Even though I'm subscribed to Peacock, I know which one I'll be watching.

The game will be available on NBC in those markets. For the whiners just give up your damn 8$ dollar a day Starbucks and subscribe to peacock for 8$ A MONTH.
Will never subscribe to Peacock. Ever. I'll go without ever watching a sporting event again if I have to.

I'm tired of things that used to be free now requiring paying for. "But it's only $8"! Sure. $8 here. $15 there. Another $5 for this, and $20 for that. When will it end? Not to mention the subscriptions going up almost every year.

And no, this isn't an old man yelling at cloud thing. It is getting beyond ridiculous.

I don't care if "that's the way it's going". It's wrong.

I’m sure the preference would be to sign up and then find other content they like. Peacock is going to continue having B1G sports, weekly MLB games, etc. All these streaming services are dying to get live sports because that’s where all the best ad revenues come.
As long as I can use apps to watch for free I am not budging.

Not convinced pay per view is the future.

When the BTN network launched they refused to be put on pay per view tiers.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Iowa women are on Peacock tomorrow night. Signing up for that and the Chiefs.

We have had peacock for a few months for hawks and watching a couple of other shows. For most of us it aint the money but the effing stupid decision to not have this game on over the air. The Dophins chiefs game is one of only two games on this Saturday, Why is it on the Cock when there are 3 networks who could put it on.

Is it a test to see how many new subscribers they will get and what ratings and eyeball numbers will watch. The article I read said Peacock is losing money

Will never subscribe to Peacock. Ever. I'll go without ever watching a sporting event again if I have to.

I'm tired of things that used to be free now requiring paying for. "But it's only $8"! Sure. $8 here. $15 there. Another $5 for this, and $20 for that. When will it end? Not to mention the subscriptions going up almost every year.

And no, this isn't an old man yelling at cloud thing. It is getting beyond ridiculous.

I don't care if "that's the way it's going". It's wrong.
Sometimes old man yelling at clouds has some valid points like you do in this case

Oh it is the future, we have had Youtube tv for 5 years after dealing with crooked Directv. I sicked the IA Attorney Generals office on DirectTV because the tried to slip a supposedly free channel receiver on my bill and also slip a year of NFL Package I didnt re-order. All that added up to over $550 for one year, not chump change.

Really I want someone to develop a true cafeteria type streaming service that just beats all the competition out and changes the way we buy our video entertainment

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I realize this is a discussion on streaming and Peacock. But let me reiterate what was posted: You have a choice Saturday night. Pay to watch the NFL on a pay streaming service or watch Caitlyn Clark. A brilliant move by FOX. I'm predicting the numbers for that regular season B1G game will be HUGE. Even though I'm subscribed to Peacock, I know which one I'll be watching.
I will be watching both, I will cast one game from my laptop to the TV via youtube tv and I will open a 2nd youtube tv browser window and have the 2nd game on my laptop screen. Easy Peasey

We have had peacock for a few months for hawks and watching a couple of other shows. For most of us it aint the money but the effing stupid decision to not have this game on over the air. The Dophins chiefs game is one of only two games on this Saturday, Why is it on the Cock when there are 3 networks who could put it on.

Is it a test to see how many new subscribers they will get and what ratings and eyeball numbers will watch. The article I read said Peacock is losing money
I also think it’s dumb, but if I’m a network service and I’m going going to pay 9 figures for rights to sporting events, I’m definitely going to shoot for some valuable exclusives. I’m not going to pay that money to just get the leftovers.

Oh it is the future, we have had Youtube tv for 5 years after dealing with crooked Directv. I sicked the IA Attorney Generals office on DirectTV because the tried to slip a supposedly free channel receiver on my bill and also slip a year of NFL Package I didnt re-order. All that added up to over $550 for one year, not chump change.

Really I want someone to develop a true cafeteria type streaming service that just beats all the competition out and changes the way we buy our video entertainment
The challenge is that so many different studios and networks have their own content. Netflix was basically that magic service early in the streaming days, but then people realized how much they could make by keeping their own content. Would love to find a different model than commercials for support.

Throwing one more unrelated thing out there - I do find it kind of wild that the cost to rent movies on AppleTV, Prime, etc., is still the basic $4-5 that we paid Blockbuster in the 90s.

I'm for that. I'm kind of surprised it isn't already happening. Buy YouTubeTV and get Netflix for $5/mo. I know Verizon is packaging up some different streaming services - I'm not sure how that's working out for them.

At the end of the day, America has a voracious appetite for entertainment. They will keep emptying their pockets so they can have more movies to watch than they can possibly view int their lifetimes.

Reactions: kwik44
Iowa women are on Fox national TV Saturday night same time as Chiefs are one for those not signing up for Peacock. Gus Johnson coming to Carver to make the call Saturday night.
Theeeeee Casey's ad Gus Johnson.

Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT