ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chiefs and other teams howling about reffing; even when the refs are correct

But it’s never been a penalty in his entire career? But sure, all good.
Funny enough, just because a rule in the rule book isn't enforced, that doesn't mean it's not a penalty........it just means the refs got away with being trash at their jobs for far too long, and not actually enforcing the rules in the rule book, thus setting a precedent for the players to follow.

And now that they're trying to change the narrative and actually enforce more rules in the rule book, the players will simply need to adjust and do the following.................

The 6 inches that he was offsides enabled Kelce to catch the pass and then lateral it to him 40 yards down the field? Huge advantage.
Where did I say anything about Kelce? Watch the play and you’ll see how fast he got through the line and getting through so easy was an advantage. He was so far offsides the official, and anyone else who looked at the photo, could not even see the football. It was a penalty and deserved to be called.

But it’s never been a penalty in his entire career? But sure, all good.
Oh please, you act like they waited to throw the flag until after the “greatness.” It was called at the time. You’re sounding ridiculous saying he lines up offsides all the time and doesn’t get called for it.

Oh please, you act like they waited to throw the flag until after the “greatness.” It was called at the time. You’re sounding ridiculous saying he lines up offsides all the time and doesn’t get called for it.
He literally lined up 3 times during the game offsides. Go look at the clip from Dan Orlovsky. And yes, the refs either missed it or ignored it. Not sure what to tell you. Again, call it right the first time it happened. There’s video of him lining up offside 3 times before that play that wasn’t called.

He literally lined up 3 times during the game offsides. Go look at the clip from Dan Orlovsky. And yes, the refs either missed it or ignored it. Not sure what to tell you. Again, call it right the first time it happened. There’s video of him lining up offside 3 times before that play that wasn’t called.
@Hawktagonapus are disagreeing that he did not in fact line up offsides 3 different times in that game?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Funny enough, just because a rule in the rule book isn't enforced, that doesn't mean it's not a penalty........it just means the refs got away with being trash at their jobs for far too long, and not actually enforcing the rules in the rule book, thus setting a precedent for the players to follow.

And now that they're trying to change the narrative and actually enforce more rules in the rule book, the players will simply need to adjust and do the following.................

What the refs really need to crack down on is the holding that the Chiefs do on every frickin play.

I want @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset 's Minnesota Vikings to finally win a SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The Vikings have been to 10 Final Fours; they advanced 4 times to the Super Bowl and lost ALL 4 SUPER BOWLS!

They Vikings have been around for 62 years, too.

10 NFC Championship Game Appearances:

4 Super Bowl appearances, all losses:
I usually pull for a team that has "never" won the big game unless one of my own faves are involved. The Atlanta Falcons collapse against the patriots was very disappointing. The Pats had won plenty of titles and the falcons none and that is how the falcons finished that game by making mistakes

Chiefs fan here and the refs made the right call on Toney. The refs also made the right call in the SB last year on holding, even the Eagle DB said as much. That said, I think most NFL and even College football just want consistency by the refs. No one expects perfection, they just want games called in a consistent and fair manner. Hell, go back and read any of the 13 Iowa game threads, people are always bitching about missed holds, PI's either called or missed, blocks in the back on PR's, etc.

Here is the one thing that bugs the ELF out of me. This is the play in the AFC CG that cost the Chiefs. But look where the OT is lined up. It isn't just that OT, it's every OT in the NFL that lines up this way on passes. Chiefs OT's have been called for this a few times this year it was so egregious.....

is-tonights-drama-reminding-anyone-else-of-dee-ford-lining-v0-zog00e235l5c1.png

Easy solution for next year. Just blow the play dead at the time of the snap if the offense is offside. End of play. They do that when the defense gets too big a jump. Nothing to whine about.
That would be the high school rule, encroachment instead of offside.

However that eliminates the possibility of a free play. If the defense had picked the ball instead of the touchdown, they could have declined the penalty and kept the ball.

On Monday Mahomes acknowledged that the call was correct. "Obviously I've seen it now, and if he didn't check and they weren't good, it is a foul." cc: @littlez

The story from ESPN:

Patrick Mahomes regrets outburst, interaction with Josh Allen

• ESPN
Dec 12, 2023, 09:45 AM ET

Given time to reflect on his sideline outburst at the officials Sunday and his postgame interaction with Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes says he regrets his actions.

Mahomes was heated Sunday after an offside call on Chiefs receiver Kadarius Toney negated what would have been the go-ahead touchdown with less than two minutes remaining. Toney took a cross-field lateral from Travis Kelce, who had caught a pass from Mahomes, and completed what would have been a 49-yard touchdown. After the penalty, Mahomes proceeded to throw incomplete on three straight plays and the Bills ran out the clock to win 20-17.

Mahomes yelled at the officials about the call as the Bills wound down the clock after taking the ball back.

"Obviously you don't want to react that way; I mean, I care, man. I love it -- I love this game, and I love my teammates. I want to go out there and put everything on the line to win, but obviously you can't do that, can't be that way toward officials or really anybody in life," Mahomes said Monday in an interview with 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City.

He added that "more than anything, I regretted the way I acted toward Josh [Allen] after the game, because he had nothing to do with it."

A WROC-TV camera caught Mahomes telling Allen: "Wildest f---ing call I've ever seen. Offensive offsides on that play, man. F---ing terrible."

Mahomes said Monday, "I was still hot and emotional, but you can't do that. It's not a great example for kids watching the game. I was more upset about that than me on the sidelines."

On Sunday, Mahomes said he asked three different officials about the call and never received a response and said after the game, "Another game, we're talking about the refs. It's not what we want for the NFL."

On Monday, however, Mahomes acknowledged that the call was correct.

"Obviously I've seen it now, and if he didn't check and they weren't good, it is a foul. It is something you rarely see called in the NFL. But it was a foul; it's part of playing the game, man. You learn from it, it's part of being a person, you learn from your mistakes and try to be better next time," he said.

Earlier Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that Toney did not check with the sideline official to make sure he was lined up correctly. Asked what his coaching advice to Toney will be this week, Reid said, "Just make sure you check, make sure you check with the guy on the side just to see if you're aligned. ... He was 2 inches away from, or an inch from, being legal.''

Mahomes might be subject to a fine from the NFL for his actions and comments and said Monday that he would accept any punishment that comes his way.

"You have to accept the consequences of your actions, and that's something that I've always stood by. I obviously didn't act in the way that I usually act, and if there's consequences that come from that, I obviously accept those," he said.

ESPN's Adam Teicher contributed to this report.

On Monday Mahomes acknowledged that the call was correct. "Obviously I've seen it now, and if he didn't check and they weren't good, it is a foul." cc: @littlez

The story from ESPN:

Patrick Mahomes regrets outburst, interaction with Josh Allen

• ESPN
Dec 12, 2023, 09:45 AM ET

Given time to reflect on his sideline outburst at the officials Sunday and his postgame interaction with Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes says he regrets his actions.

Mahomes was heated Sunday after an offside call on Chiefs receiver Kadarius Toney negated what would have been the go-ahead touchdown with less than two minutes remaining. Toney took a cross-field lateral from Travis Kelce, who had caught a pass from Mahomes, and completed what would have been a 49-yard touchdown. After the penalty, Mahomes proceeded to throw incomplete on three straight plays and the Bills ran out the clock to win 20-17.

Mahomes yelled at the officials about the call as the Bills wound down the clock after taking the ball back.

"Obviously you don't want to react that way; I mean, I care, man. I love it -- I love this game, and I love my teammates. I want to go out there and put everything on the line to win, but obviously you can't do that, can't be that way toward officials or really anybody in life," Mahomes said Monday in an interview with 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City.

He added that "more than anything, I regretted the way I acted toward Josh [Allen] after the game, because he had nothing to do with it."

A WROC-TV camera caught Mahomes telling Allen: "Wildest f---ing call I've ever seen. Offensive offsides on that play, man. F---ing terrible."

Mahomes said Monday, "I was still hot and emotional, but you can't do that. It's not a great example for kids watching the game. I was more upset about that than me on the sidelines."

On Sunday, Mahomes said he asked three different officials about the call and never received a response and said after the game, "Another game, we're talking about the refs. It's not what we want for the NFL."

On Monday, however, Mahomes acknowledged that the call was correct.

"Obviously I've seen it now, and if he didn't check and they weren't good, it is a foul. It is something you rarely see called in the NFL. But it was a foul; it's part of playing the game, man. You learn from it, it's part of being a person, you learn from your mistakes and try to be better next time," he said.

Earlier Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that Toney did not check with the sideline official to make sure he was lined up correctly. Asked what his coaching advice to Toney will be this week, Reid said, "Just make sure you check, make sure you check with the guy on the side just to see if you're aligned. ... He was 2 inches away from, or an inch from, being legal.''

Mahomes might be subject to a fine from the NFL for his actions and comments and said Monday that he would accept any punishment that comes his way.

"You have to accept the consequences of your actions, and that's something that I've always stood by. I obviously didn't act in the way that I usually act, and if there's consequences that come from that, I obviously accept those," he said.

ESPN's Adam Teicher contributed to this report.
I'm sure he offered this retraction of his own accord........

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT