ADVERTISEMENT

OT: You gonna learn every day

cubuffsdoug

Scout Team
Apr 8, 2002
The NIL is out of control until laws are enacted to reign it in. A few weeks ago, a thread discussed Paul Mulcahy (formerly of Rutgers) running to the U. of Washington for the bag of money turned out to be fool's gold. Mulcahy was sold a dream, and he fell for it. Allegedly (protect my tail), Washington offered $400K. It turns out Washington reneged on their agreement. Mulcahy asked Rutgers if he could return, but Rutgers has filled all its scholarships. Remember, Mulcahy has a NIL agent who was supposed to watch his back to get the best deal and avoid the BS. His career may be over if another school doesn't knock on his door soon. These kids jumping from school to school for more money need to wise up. Just because the grass appears greener on the other side, it may not be by the time you get there. I can't say I saw this coming

FYI: THE Larry Brown is an adviser for the Washington Huskies. That tells how low the Huskies are willing to go to save their program. The same LB who tried to ruin Kansas and SMU and burned more NBA bridges than there are in all of the U.S.

The NIL is out of control until laws are enacted to reign it in. A few weeks ago, a thread discussed Paul Mulcahy (formerly of Rutgers) running to the U. of Washington for the bag of money turned out to be fool's gold. Mulcahy was sold a dream, and he fell for it. Allegedly (protect my tail), Washington offered $400K. It turns out Washington reneged on their agreement. Mulcahy asked Rutgers if he could return, but Rutgers has filled all its scholarships. Remember, Mulcahy has a NIL agent who was supposed to watch his back to get the best deal and avoid the BS. His career may be over if another school doesn't knock on his door soon. These kids jumping from school to school for more money need to wise up. Just because the grass appears greener on the other side, it may not be by the time you get there. I can't say I saw this coming

FYI: THE Larry Brown is an adviser for the Washington Huskies. That tells how low the Huskies are willing to go to save their program. The same LB who tried to ruin Kansas and SMU and burned more NBA bridges than there are in all of the U.S.
When did Rutgers fill all of their scholarships?

Here's what I have:

RutgersPositionSizeMPGPPG
Aundre HyattF6'623.38.9
Cliff OmoruyiC6'1130.213.2
Mawot MagF6'724.77.8
Derek SimpsonG6'119.56.8
Antwone WoolfolkF6'87.22.3
Antonio CholF6'9
Gavin GriffithsF 6'74*
Jamichael DavisG6'2UR
OPEN
OPEN
Transfers In:
Noah Fernandes--UMASSG5'1129.513.4
Emmanuel Ogbole--JUCOC6'10
Jeremiah Williams--ISUG6'5

When did Rutgers fill all of their scholarships?

Here's what I have:

RutgersPositionSizeMPGPPG
Aundre HyattF6'623.38.9
Cliff OmoruyiC6'1130.213.2
Mawot MagF6'724.77.8
Derek SimpsonG6'119.56.8
Antwone WoolfolkF6'87.22.3
Antonio CholF6'9
Gavin GriffithsF6'74*
Jamichael DavisG6'2UR
OPEN
OPEN
Transfers In:
Noah Fernandes--UMASSG5'1129.513.4
Emmanuel Ogbole--JUCOC6'10
Jeremiah Williams--ISUG6'5
Austin Williams (FIU) will officially be announced today or tomorrow. He finished summer school last week, and his grades were submitted to make the transfer official. Oskar Palmquist originally transferred from Rutgers to Elon after graduation in May. He never enrolled at Elon. In July, Palmquist asked to return after Mulcahy announced he was transferring to Washington. Palmquist will be officially announced along with Austin Williams as Rutgers is leaving for Europe and Africa later this week. Both are expected to travel with the team.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Austin Williams (FIU) will officially be announced today or tomorrow. He finished summer school last week, and his grades were submitted to make the transfer official. Oskar Palmquist originally transferred from Rutgers to Elon after graduation in May. He never enrolled at Elon. In July, Palmquist asked to return after Mulcahy announced he was transferring to Washington. Palmquist will be officially announced along with Austin Williams as Rutgers is leaving for Europe and Africa later this week. Both are expected to travel with the team.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Where to begin -

1. NIL is not supposed to be offered to player not yet in the program. Maybe they vaguely suggested a number? Or just cheated.

2. I don't know how good Paul Mulcahy is, but it would take a lot of people a very long time to earn $400,000. It's nuts.

3. So, it went from $400k wink, wink - to nothing??

4. Larry Brown??

I really, really don't like NIL.

Where to begin -

1. NIL is not supposed to be offered to player not yet in the program. Maybe they vaguely suggested a number? Or just cheated.

2. I don't know how good Paul Mulcahy is, but it would take a lot of people a very long time to earn $400,000. It's nuts.

4. Larry Brown??

Think of the beer @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset and other Hawk fans would have to drink to afford ONE Paul Mulcahy!

burp.

;)

Where to begin -

4. Larry Brown??

1. That's why the NIL needs to be closely regulated. It's like the old Southwest Conference, which cost SMU its football program.

2. Washington overvalued Mulcahy to drive away Norte Dame and Gonzaga.

3. His NIL offer went from $400K to the neighborhood of $100-$200K, and no flights home to NJ as previously agreed.

Larry Brown: head coach in the NBA (Nets, Spurs, Clippers, 76ers, Knicks, and Pacers) and in college. He's been the HC at UCLA, Kansas (natty), and SMU. He was an assistant to Penny Hardaway at Memphis last year. All most every coaching stop has been filled with controversy. He has outlived several "show cause" clauses from the NCAA, allowing him to return to coaching again. Expect bad news if he's around.

I think Charles Barkley was pretty much spot on when he said the NIL would ruin college sports...his premise was the top 25 schools who the have the richest backers will dominate everyone else in the coming years. From my limited view it sure looks like that is starting to happen, and unless it's some how regulated it's almost impossible to stop.

NIL is a disaster. Count me as one that NEVER felt sorry for the poor college athlete that was ONLY getting free tuition, room& board, training table, professional coaching, tutors, S&C coaches, trainers, etc., and allowed to play the game they love in front of thousands of cheering fans and millions on TV.

Assuming NIL is here to stay thanks to SCOTUS, I think I would ...

1. Get rid of "collectives". You want some NIL money? Negotiate with payors.

2. NIL contracts must be submitted to the school and NCAA.

3. End pay for play. If payors want to pay for the Name, Image and Likeness of a player, they must receive commensurate fair value in return. The Ford dealer wants to pay a player for his/her NIL? Then the player must do things like personal appearances, autograph signing, commercials, posters - the fair value of these marketing efforts can be estimated and capped.

Either that or just rip off the band-aid and spin the football and basketball programs off into a professional organization. Going to school becomes optional. The new organization pays rent to the school for facilities and pays tax on their profit. Collectives controlled by the new organization.

Either try to rescue "college" football and basketball, or let it go.

I think real nil is fine. What we have now is not even close to nil. What is called nil is pay to play with some exceptions like Caitlin Clark.

Cheating has been going on for years. By having no real oversite and favoring some institutions over others. The NCAA regulating anything with any credibility is a joke.
You're right. The NIL has been in effect forever. It's just been under the table for the big boys who the NCAA was afraid to touch. Now there might be a few interlopers that have donors with big pockets willing to give it directly to recruits, but I don't see Iowa as being one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT