ADVERTISEMENT

Over $100,000 raised TODAY for SWARM

I have news for all the naysayers. This isn't just about getting guys from the portal or recruits. This is about getting guys to return and keeping rosters intact. I hate it as much as the next person, but it's the name of the game now. NIL played a big role in getting damn near the whole defense to return.

I have news for all the naysayers. This isn't just about getting guys from the portal or recruits. This is about getting guys to return and keeping rosters intact. I hate it as much as the next person, but it's the name of the game now. NIL played a big role in getting damn near the whole defense to return.
Yep!

I question just how much people support the Hawkeyes when they balk about giving to SWARM.

No, it's not "the name of the game now" for the average fan to pony up $$ to pay players.

I buy season tickets and pay the seat extortion fee. That's enough.

If there are people that want to give money.....fine.

No, it's not "the name of the game now" for the average fan to pony up $$ to pay players.

I buy season tickets and pay the seat extortion fee. That's enough.

If there are people that want to give money.....fine.
That's fine, but it is the name of the game. You better have decent NIL options for players if you want a playoff contender or else you'll be watching a 6-6 team hoping they go 7-5.

That's fine, but it is the name of the game. You better have decent NIL options for players if you want a playoff contender or else you'll be watching a 6-6 team hoping they go 7-5.
Or I'll just watch other teams play interesting football. College football isn't going anywhere.

Literally $20/month is the minimum monthly donation. I'm sure most people on here spend more than that on random bullshit. You could also do a one time $40, $50 donation to add a little bit to the warchest. Nobody is asking you all to donate hundreds a month or write a check for 25K.

Yep!

I question just how much people support the Hawkeyes when they balk about giving to SWARM.
You have to be effing kidding me with a comment like that. We donate to food banks ( and it is more important now because our stupid IA gov turned down $30 million in fed dollars for kids summer meals), ministries for the poor and those with problems, other charities, and public radio and TV.

We paid for 2 to 4 Iowa season tickets from 1973-2019, including the seating donations and other alumni club donations, etc. I dont need to donate anymore just because some decisions and forces are in play that are opening up the brown paper bag of money to student. And I dont need to hear statements like what you are saying.

When Ed O'Bannon and others sued to get payments from computer game makers using their NIL the answer was pay them, let players make contracts to get paid for their NIL, but let's not pretend that paying high school kids to come play for a college has anything to do with the original lawsuits, the legal decisions, or for high school kids getting BOUGHT to play a school when they have never done anything at a college to earn rights for college NIL.

I still love the hawks and love to watch them play football. I have better places for my donations to go and also to my kids and grandkids.

Literally $20/month is the minimum monthly donation. I'm sure most people on here spend more than that on random bullshit. You could also do a one time $40, $50 donation to add a little bit to the warchest. Nobody is asking you all to donate hundreds a month or write a check for 25K.
NIL was supposed to be about getting the players their fair share from the millions rolling into athletic departments, not making fans support the institutions and players. The whole thing as it currently stands is a farce.

You have to be effing kidding me with a comment like that. We donate to food banks ( and it is more important now because our stupid IA gov turned down $30 million in fed dollars for kids summer meals), ministries for the poor and those with problems, other charities, and public radio and TV.

We paid for 2 to 4 Iowa season tickets from 1973-2019, including the seating donations and other alumni club donations, etc. I dont need to donate anymore just because some decisions and forces are in play that are opening up the brown paper bag of money to student. And I dont need to hear statements like what you are saying.

When Ed O'Bannon and others sued to get payments from computer game makers using their NIL the answer was pay them, let players make contracts to get paid for their NIL, but let's not pretend that paying high school kids to come play for a college has anything to do with the original lawsuits, the legal decisions, or for high school kids getting BOUGHT to play a school when they have never done anything at a college to earn rights for college NIL.

I still love the hawks and love to watch them play football. I have better places for my donations to go and also to my kids and grandkids.
Exactly “this” is not NIL.

Nothing against SWARM but none of this was the intention.

I have a problem with all of these collectives essentially crowd sourcing teams. If the organizations main purpose is to fund college athletes they shouldn’t exist.

I'll also do that if I feel the need to. NIL is a joke as it currently stands. Being a fan doesn't require a monetary benchmark.
I agree but I don’t think NIL itself is bad….its the fact the term was co-opted by fan organizations

Reactions: BurgHawk87
People are welcome to spend their money however they want to. We all spend money on stupid stuff.

But as the father of two young adults with significant college debt, it makes absolutely no sense to me to donate money to kids who are already going to college for free, just so they can make more money in a year than I do.

But I’m still a huge Hawkeye fan, and there’s nothing anyone on the Internet can say to change that.

Last edited:
I agree but I don’t think NIL itself is bad….its the fact the term was co-opted by fan organizations
NIL could be great but it shouldn't be expected to be funded by fans. Universities are still cashing in on these "student athletes" without any real kick back. In my opinion it's asking the average joe to spend money on not only the regular game day experience but then also pay the players. Now the athletic departments can count their regularly alloted cash and complain to the fans about them not doing enough to get the superstars in to win. Wiping their faux tears away with the TV money made off the backs of the players they made said money from.

Last edited:
NIL could be great but it shouldn't be expected to be funded by fans. Universities are still cashing in on these "student athletes" without any real kick back. In my opinion it's asking the average joe to spend money on not only the regular game day experience but then also pay the players. Now the athletic departments can count their regularly alloted cash and complain to the fans about them not doing enough to get the superstars in to win. Wiping their faux tears away with the TV money made off the backs of the players they made money from.
Fair weather fans disgust me.

I wish the NCAA would make rules to try and even the playing field with NIL. Why not make it a major violation if coaches, boosters, or anyone associated with the university discusses NIL opportunities with a prospective athlete before they are enrolled and on campus? They could go a step further and mandate it be something the student actually earns, like doing a sports camp or appearances for a company etc. It’s the seeing which schools can pony up the most money to buy the best recruits that I don’t care for. I doubt the NCAA will touch it for a long time, if at all though. They’re too 🐓 💩 to go after the blue bloods or to end up in court again.

Disclaimer: I could be way off on some of this but these are just some ideas that came to mind to help level the playing field. Constructive feedback is always appreciated.

The NCAA missed their opportunity to control this when they kept cashing checks and spouting ‘amateur student-athletes’
Now we have this system.
The Supreme Court made this so unless you want to continue to ‘strenuously object’ like Demi Moore did it is what it is.

Should have been funded by athletic departments…. Agreed…. But it isn’t and won’t be unless the Supreme Court changes something.
So keep beating that dead horse.

Joining the Swarm doesn’t measure ‘fandom’ or remove a persons right to an opinion. Keep telling people that it does and you will stimulate the ‘I will do anything BUT that’ stubbornness that people have. You will be making it more difficult to achieve the goal. You do you, let them do them and hopefully the vision begins to resonate.

I should’ve been a 6’10 dunking machine in the NBA, but it doesn’t always set up the way ‘it should’ make the best of how it actually is.

They are not professionals, they are amatures. My seats, merch, and f'ing crazy concession prices are enough. NIL is really ruining NCAA D1 sports.

They are not professionals, they are amatures. My seats, merch, and f'ing crazy concession prices are enough. NIL is really ruining NCAA D1 sports.
In most cases it's stupid to even call it NIL, just call it what it really is, Pay For Play. The problem with "NIL" is that it's a never ending battle. There's always going to be a need for more. Today we need money for Proctor, tomorrow there will be a need for someone else. Then it starts all over again next year. It's going to become an addiction for some people to see who Iowa can get and for what price. If people would just give $20 more we can get player X.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT