ADVERTISEMENT

Ozempic and Wegovy

Feb 9, 2013
I knew this was out there but didn’t realize how many people are on it. I occasionally run into women (my kids’ friends’ moms) I haven’t seen in awhile and they have dropped a ton of weight. My wife said I’d be surprised how prevalent it is.

Good for them, I guess, but I can just see ten years from now a bunch of lawsuits claiming they had no idea this drug was harmful in any way, etc etc

You all seeing this in Iowa or Florida?

Hynull.gif

I knew this was out there but didn’t realize how many people are on it. I occasionally run into women (my kids’ friends’ moms) I haven’t seen in awhile and they have dropped a ton of weight. My wife said I’d be surprised how prevalent it is.

Good for them, I guess, but I can just see ten years from now a bunch of lawsuits claiming they had no idea this drug was harmful in any way, etc etc

You all seeing this in Iowa or Florida?
Yes and they have side effects. Some of them have been lethal.

My uncle has been on the diabetic version of this for probably 10 years. I know the big thing to keep eye on is gall bladder and stones. But, if this helps people lose weight which reduces so many other risks and diseases to me it’s a huge win. Again, here in the good old USA our lawmakers are paid for so the food lobby has sugar and high-fructose corn syrup and additives and other crap in our food. Go to other countries and most of the stuff allowed here is prohibited because it’s bad for you. So, maybe this balances the scales???

This. My sister in law was a senior endocrinologist at nih and helped set up qatars diabetes clinical programs, now in private practice. She won’t prescribe it unless patient commits to behavior mod program as well.
I’ve heard this, too. Seems like if someone could do that they wouldn’t need the drug in the first place.

Reactions: goldmom
Ozempic is intended for type 2 diabetics to control blood sugar numbers.
Clearly there is other channels for obtaining these glp drugs strictly touting the weight loss aid.
Lilly and other big Pharma firms are getting ready to to introduce forms of glp drugs tailored specifically for weight loss, and hoping insurers will cover it.

Ozempic costs at least 12k/year.
Medicare covers it for diabetics only.

42% of Americans are obese.
This will drain Medicare/Medicaid quickly if left unchecked.
Tough call on how to deal with this epidemic

Just read an article on the rise of fatal uterine cancer cases in US, while all other cancer treatments have lowered mortality.
Seems obesity in women releases more estrogen which causes this cancer....sad.

Any side-effects of glp are unknown but obesity we know will kill you.

But need to lower the cost for sure.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Laugh all you guys want, but it works. At one time in my life, Not long ago, was 300 lbs. miserable and depressed. Was pre-diabetic and had to go on meds to reduce my A1C. That was my wake up call and I decided to change. I was determined to not be diabetic. I lost 30 lbs rather quickly by changing my diet. Then I got stuck. I couldn’t lose much more. I’d hover between 260 and 265. It was very difficult for me to break the 260 barrier. I’ve had 7, yes 7, surgeries on my spine, so exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I’m limited.

I started Ozempic Jan 1. I’m down, as of this morning, to 242. I haven’t been under 250 in over 10 years. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep losing more. 220 is my goal, but I may keep going to 200. I haven’t been under 215 in 25 years.

Ozempic makes you feel full. I occasionally find myself ordering a big meal or filling up my plate, then can’t eat it all. One of my biggest nemesis’s was Soda. I used to drink 1-2 per day. I haven’t had a soda or cravings for one since I started. I drink a ton of water per day. The only side effect I have is that I’m not as regular as I used to be. But I’m also not eating anywhere near the quantity, so obviously, less waste passes through.

Some of my weight was genetics. My entire family was heavy. I’m shaped like my Dad and all his Mexican brothers. Skinny legs, large upper body. But most was on me and my lack of discipline. Also way too much alcohol in my 20’s and 30’s.

Right now, Ozempic has been amazing for me.

Laugh all you guys want, but it works. At one time in my life, Not long ago, was 300 lbs. miserable and depressed. Was pre-diabetic and had to go on meds to reduce my A1C. That was my wake up call and I decided to change. I was determined to not be diabetic. I lost 30 lbs rather quickly by changing my diet. Then I got stuck. I couldn’t lose much more. I’d hover between 260 and 265. It was very difficult for me to break the 260 barrier. I’ve had 7, yes 7, surgeries on my spine, so exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I’m limited.

I started Ozempic Jan 1. I’m down, as of this morning, to 242. I haven’t been under 250 in over 10 years. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep losing more. 220 is my goal, but I may keep going to 200. I haven’t been under 215 in 25 years.

Ozempic makes you feel full. I occasionally find myself ordering a big meal or filling up my plate, then can’t eat it all. One of my biggest nemesis’s was Soda. I used to drink 1-2 per day. I haven’t had a soda or cravings for one since I started. I drink a ton of water per day. The only side effect I have is that I’m not as regular as I used to be. But I’m also not eating anywhere near the quantity, so obviously, less waste passes through.

Some of my weight was genetics. My entire family was heavy. I’m shaped like my Dad and all his Mexican brothers. Skinny legs, large upper body. But most was on me and my lack of discipline. Also way too much alcohol in my 20’s and 30’s.

My uncle said similar things. He eats, just not all the time and can’t eat as much because he feels full. Another added benefit was sugary foods like cookies and candy don’t taste good or something cuz he won’t touch them anymore. Doesn’t drink soda and can only have 1-2 beers before he can’t take anymore. He had to have been 320 pounds and is probably about 210-220. He dropped a lot of weight, which helped him become more active which also helped his situation. But, he’s plateaued… he’s been about the same weight/size for years now.

Glad to hear your success. To be clear, I didn’t start this thread to mock to laugh, was just curiously shocked to hear how prevalent it is. I guess I haven’t been paying attention.

My wife said a friend of ours told her one problem is she doesn’t eat any good food either. Sounds like a starvation diet without the pain and suffering.

I don’t see how this ends well.
I think it really depends on a number of things. Look if you are severely obese then losing the weight can be tremendously beneficial. To me one of the most critical things to watch for is loss of muscle mass. We know that muscle strength and mass are a factor in longevity. If you use these meds you really need to make a concerted effort to eat sufficient protein. Combining insufficient protein intake with aging in someone that didn't have a lot of muscle to begin with could result in early frailty. But again the rebuttal to this is that a lot of severely obese people aren't doing strength training anyway and it is better for them to be weak and weigh less than to be fat and weak.

I do wonder if these drugs are being too widely prescribed and that there isn't enough focus on behavior modification. They could be a great jump start for some people. One other side note is that I believe that these drugs have a lot of potential for treating addiction.

Congrats on destroying your metabolism for life. There is always a price to pay when you take the easy way out.

My wife said a friend of ours told her one problem is she doesn’t eat any good food either. Sounds like a starvation diet without the pain and suffering.

I don’t see how this ends well.
The way people lose weight is by essentially paralyzing the stomach slowing down emptying and digestion. This is called gastroparesis. Some people get massive heart burn and vomit undigested food from 2 days ago, intact. The basic mechanism is you eat, feel full quickly because the stomach cannot empty and loose weight. You stop the drug, you eat even more than before and become super fat. Side effects also include off scale pain pancreatitis, gall bladder and liver issues. Some of these have killed people. There are 0 studies on long term longitudinal use but hey it takes effort to eat healthy and exercise.

Glad to hear your success. To be clear, I didn’t start this thread to mock to laugh, was just curiously shocked to hear how prevalent it is. I guess I haven’t been paying attention.
Wasn’t directed at you, but the first few replies...and preemptive at what I expect to see coming from this group. Being overweight sucks and I’ve been severely depressed/suicidal at many points in my life.

The way people lose weight is by essentially paralyzing the stomach slowing down emptying and digestion. This is called gastroparesis. Some people get massive heart burn and vomit undigested food from 2 days ago, intact. The basic mechanism is you eat, feel full quickly because the stomach cannot empty and loose weight. You stop the drug, you eat even more than before and become super fat. Side effects also include off scale pain pancreatitis, gall bladder and liver issues. Some of these have killed people. There are 0 studies on long term longitudinal use but hey it takes effort to eat healthy and exercise.
Yikes

The funny thing, a couple of the people we know who take it were adamantly against the COVID vaccine. “I’m not putting that stuff in my body!”

Wasn’t directed at you, but the first few replies...and preemptive at what I expect to see coming from this group. Being overweight sucks and I’ve been severely depressed/suicidal at many points in my life.
It sounds like a case by case thing - I’m concerned about the unknowns and side effects and youth taking the drugs, but I’m sure for some people it’s a good thing and has been a blessing.

Reactions: goldmom and GOHOX69
It's insane how much they push this.

4 years ago, I weighed in at my all time high of 450lbs.

As of today I am at 325. It's been a long hard battle, but I have learned and fixed so much about myself.

Being overweight is so much more than eating too much, it's a mental battle, that many of us don't/didn't have the capacity to deal with it.

I had to fix my head before I could fix my weight.

Being on drugs for the rest of my life seems like a bad idea

For people who are grossly obese or diabetic because of it, it's indicated. For other reasons, not so much. But there are plenty of stupid people on this planet and that's why I have a job in pharma 😉

Reactions: goldmom
I’m willing to take that chance. My doctor, who prescribed it, has been on it for over a year. I trust her over you.

I choose losing weight over depression and additional back surgeries.

Thanks for your support.
You have to remember this is HORT. Everyone on HORT knows more than medical professionals. See the horse paste era.

I’m happy for you that you’ve been able to get to a better weight but it’s absolute bullshit you couldn’t have done it without the help of pharmaceuticals

I saw where the price of these drugs is going up if it hasn’t already. Average of $1,000 a month.
My great aunt who was very close to my Mom was diabetic and while she was maybe always in need of losing 15 pounds, as is common, she also was never an obese person. She was a nurse and was pretty meticulous about her diet.

Our American diet is a collective of processed foods with sugar and fat that wasn’t prevalent even 40-50 years ago.
PSA’s are still common about smoking. Why are there not lots of PSA’s about not having Big Macs and super size orders of fries in order to stay healthy? Or being active?
I am glad that there are people trying to address weight challenges but I am concerned about the long term effects of these drugs.
Eating disorders are surely a part of the estimated 1 in 5 Americans with mental health issues?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT