ADVERTISEMENT

Ozempic and Wegovy

When it comes of patent I assume lots more people will be using it. It will be dirt cheap.

I heard somebody say airlines already seeing reduced fuel consumption. No idea if that is true.

No, I’m telling you that you’re not a doctor. He has seen a medical professional. You don’t know his medical history. My guess is that you follow the Trump school of medical science and inject Clorox into yourself.
I recognize he did what he felt was best and that’s good but your body doesn’t just magically stop losing weight at some arbitrary number. You may hit a plateau and need to reassess but you can lose the weight without drugs.

But you can keep telling me I’m wrong

I recognize he did what he felt was best and that’s good but your body doesn’t just magically stop losing weight at some arbitrary number. You may hit a plateau and need to reassess but you can lose the weight without drugs.

I’m not telling you that you are wrong. I’m telling you that it’s not always as simple as starving yourself. This is why we have doctors and we don’t inject ourselves with Clorox. Medical science is advancing everyday and your simplistic attitude holds little weight because you’re not a doctor.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I’m not telling you that you are wrong. I’m telling you that it’s not always as simple as starving yourself. This is why we have doctors and we don’t inject ourselves with Clorox. Medical science is advancing everyday and your simplistic attitude holds little weight because you’re not a doctor.
The medical science where doctors are prescribing a diabetes shot for weight loss?

I know a few people on it here in austin. I was thinking the same thing as most of you: some kind of law suit is coming after a bunch of people start dropping dead

Reactions: goldmom

• Wegovy injection is approved to help adults and children aged 12 years and older with obesity or some adults with excess weight (overweight), who also have weight-related medical problems, to lose weight and keep the weight off, in addition to diet and exercise.

Reactions: 3boysmom and Moral
Same drug different dose. One more point, there is a very strong benefit to reducing cardiac death when taking these drugs. Even for patients not obese or diabetic, it reduces their chance for fatal heart disease. Same thing with jardiance

Cost $1k / mo. Companies are catching up and not allowing it as part of RX plan. My understanding is once on it you have to stay on it rest of you life

I saw where the price of these drugs is going up if it hasn’t already. Average of $1,000 a month.
My great aunt who was very close to my Mom was diabetic and while she was maybe always in need of losing 15 pounds, as is common, she also was never an obese person. She was a nurse and was pretty meticulous about her diet.

Our American diet is a collective of processed foods with sugar and fat that wasn’t prevalent even 40-50 years ago.
PSA’s are still common about smoking. Why are there not lots of PSA’s about not having Big Macs and super size orders of fries in order to stay healthy? Or being active?
I am glad that there are people trying to address weight challenges but I am concerned about the long term effects of these drugs.
Eating disorders are surely a part of the estimated 1 in 5 Americans with mental health issues?
Good points. Do you also remember when Michelle Obama was slammed relentlessly for attempting to help school kids learn healthy eating habits? Oh, and I live in a a state that is partially responsible for America's obesity problem. You can't pump corn sugar into every prepackaged food without people getting fat. I was looking at labels of bread at Hy-Vee yesterday and one package said, "The taste kids love"!. The nutrition label said 5 grams of added sugar per slice. Per... Slice...

I can tell you to buy low and sell high but that doesn't make me a stock broker. It doesn't allow me to use my "expertise" to tell you how to invest your money. If pressed and my reply is that every 5th grader knows you sell stocks at a higher price than you buy I'd say i dont know shit and my opinion is just that.

I'm a type 2 diabetic who has never been heavy so I wasn't given Ozempic. I have been asked more than a few times if I was on it and had people offer to pay me for it if I was.

• Wow
Reactions: Moral
The way people lose weight is by essentially paralyzing the stomach slowing down emptying and digestion. This is called gastroparesis. Some people get massive heart burn and vomit undigested food from 2 days ago, intact. The basic mechanism is you eat, feel full quickly because the stomach cannot empty and loose weight. You stop the drug, you eat even more than before and become super fat. Side effects also include off scale pain pancreatitis, gall bladder and liver issues. Some of these have killed people. There are 0 studies on long term longitudinal use but hey it takes effort to eat healthy and exercise.
I love the old, "but diet and exercise doesn't work for me" crowd! Ever see a fat person in a NAZI concentration camp? It would seem diet and exercise worked 100% of the time there..............

Reactions: GOHOX69
or so we are told....
tech technology GIF

I love the old, "but diet and exercise doesn't work for me" crowd! Ever see a fat person in a NAZI concentration camp? It would seem diet and exercise worked 100% of the time there..............
I just saw a Dr. Oz clip where he said losing weight isn’t tied to how many calories you eat vs. how many you burn. He’s a doctor, so he would know.

People don’t want to feel hungry, and that’s a big part of losing weight.

Reactions: TylerJ23
ever seen an american ww2 uniform of the guys who were fighting and flying planes? holy crap they look like ten yr old boys clothes. a lot less obesity for sure back then.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I just saw a Dr. Oz clip where he said losing weight isn’t tied to how many calories you eat vs. how many you burn. He’s a doctor, so he would know.

People don’t want to feel hungry, and that’s a big part of losing weight.
No pain no gain, pussy….

Makes ya skinny-fat. People lose so much muscle on those. To me, not a good look but if people are losing weight and happy with their bodies who am I to judge?

Reactions: Moral
Laugh all you guys want, but it works. At one time in my life, Not long ago, was 300 lbs. miserable and depressed. Was pre-diabetic and had to go on meds to reduce my A1C. That was my wake up call and I decided to change. I was determined to not be diabetic. I lost 30 lbs rather quickly by changing my diet. Then I got stuck. I couldn’t lose much more. I’d hover between 260 and 265. It was very difficult for me to break the 260 barrier. I’ve had 7, yes 7, surgeries on my spine, so exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I’m limited.

I started Ozempic Jan 1. I’m down, as of this morning, to 242. I haven’t been under 250 in over 10 years. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep losing more. 220 is my goal, but I may keep going to 200. I haven’t been under 215 in 25 years.

Ozempic makes you feel full. I occasionally find myself ordering a big meal or filling up my plate, then can’t eat it all. One of my biggest nemesis’s was Soda. I used to drink 1-2 per day. I haven’t had a soda or cravings for one since I started. I drink a ton of water per day. The only side effect I have is that I’m not as regular as I used to be. But I’m also not eating anywhere near the quantity, so obviously, less waste passes through.

Some of my weight was genetics. My entire family was heavy. I’m shaped like my Dad and all his Mexican brothers. Skinny legs, large upper body. But most was on me and my lack of discipline. Also way too much alcohol in my 20’s and 30’s.

Right now, Ozempic has been amazing for me.

Congrats, that's how you get after it! I have struggled with my weight as well for 20 years. Growing up a wrestler was used to starving/binging. Had both knees surgery w/in 2 years less active and also decided it was time. Can't run anymore so dieting, elliptical, lifting and walking. Taking Zepbound this year along with fasting 1 day a week and intermittent fasting daily. Down 35 lbs so far this year. What people that have never struggled with weight don't know is that your body works against you. The body thinks you need to get back to that heavy weight so it will fight you along the way. Dr. Jason Fang is great at explaining diabetes and how body works for someone like me that knows nothing medical. Anyways congrats and glad this drug is available even if to get someone motivated to change their lifestyle like the both of us. Good luck to keep going and hit that goal weight!

Reactions: 3boysmom
ever seen an american ww2 uniform of the guys who were fighting and flying planes? holy crap they look like ten yr old boys clothes. a lot less obesity for sure back then.
This is pre-green revolution. The green revolution significantly increased the availability of calories.

My dad who is on it and pre diabetic and obese has lost 50 pounds in 10 months. Less knee issues, better blood pressure, blood sugar, doesn’t eat bad food, pushed him towards a healthier lifestyle and now he works out 3-4 times a week. It’s not like people will be in this their whole life. As mentioned earlier, it is a lifestyle change but it doesn’t hurt to have something push you in the right direction during the start of your journey.

Hopefully there are no serious side effects from long term usage.

What I’ve noticed with these category of drugs is that patients largely ignore the fact that the drug is intended to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise. Instead, users fall into the magic pill syndrome and refuse to meaningfully modify behaviors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT