ADVERTISEMENT

Ozempic and Wegovy

I was looking at labels of bread at Hy-Vee yesterday and one package said, "The taste kids love"!. The nutrition label said 5 grams of added sugar per slice. Per... Slice...
Europeans describe our bread as cake.

I saw where the price of these drugs is going up if it hasn’t already. Average of $1,000 a month.
My great aunt who was very close to my Mom was diabetic and while she was maybe always in need of losing 15 pounds, as is common, she also was never an obese person. She was a nurse and was pretty meticulous about her diet.

Our American diet is a collective of processed foods with sugar and fat that wasn’t prevalent even 40-50 years ago.
PSA’s are still common about smoking. Why are there not lots of PSA’s about not having Big Macs and super size orders of fries in order to stay healthy? Or being active?
I am glad that there are people trying to address weight challenges but I am concerned about the long term effects of these drugs.
Eating disorders are surely a part of the estimated 1 in 5 Americans with mental health issues?
Be very cautious about price stats. There are tons of rebate subsidies to insurers to these. Net health system costs are much less

Reactions: goldmom
And coincidentally today just got a letter from Wellmark. After 2 months of approving Ozempic, they said it was an error and will decline future prescriptions. They said it’s because I’m not diabetic. So after two more weeks, I’m off. Unless they approve one of the other similar options.

Also, I should have added, I have AFIB. The med I take to keep it in check also doesn’t allow my heart rate to go up. I’m not seeing all the benefits from exercise like a normal person.

Reactions: Moral
ever seen an american ww2 uniform of the guys who were fighting and flying planes? holy crap they look like ten yr old boys clothes. a lot less obesity for sure back then.
Little known fact that many of the young WWII inductees failed their physicals because of malnourishment. The Depression had led to very slim teenage boys who also had very poor dental health as well. Limited diets of whatever could be scrounged up and put on the table.
Before then there was no such thing as a “Food Pyramid” showing how much of each kind of food should be eaten daily. Protein, dairy, green vegetables etc. The term Minimum Daily Requirement didn’t exist.
The 17 and 18 year olds who did make it in were sometimes eating “three squares” a day for the first time in their lives and they came home from the war with their first ever vaccinations and actually weighing more than the day they showed up at boot camp.

You should hear what they say about our healthcare system.
Something along the lines of “thank you for parking your troops here in Europe and providing our defense and safety, so we can allocate funds in OUR budget for free healthcare”?
By the way wealthy Europeans come here for serious top notch medicine. Just ask the scheduling staff at The Cleveland Clinic or the Mayo Clinic.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
My wife is using the one specifically for weight loss. She was 5’ 8” and 185. But she was all T & A. She’s down under 170 and going off it at 160 to account for the bounce back up 10 pounds that her doctor anticipates. I told her she’s ridiculous for it, and that I am going to end up interviewed for the Netflix documentary at the conclusion of all the lawsuits. There’s no shortcuts in life.

My wife is using the one specifically for weight loss. She was 5’ 8” and 185. But she was all T & A. She’s down under 170 and going off it at 160 to account for the bounce back up 10 pounds that her doctor anticipates. I told her she’s ridiculous for it, and that I am going to end up interviewed for the Netflix documentary at the conclusion of all the lawsuits. There’s no shortcuts in life.
Rules!

I’m happy for you that you’ve been able to get to a better weight but it’s absolute bullshit you couldn’t have done it without the help of pharmaceuticals
Would you say this to a drug addict? Nobody has to take heroin to live but you do have to eat. Addictions are a funny thing. I find it odd that you find it bullshit but I’m sure if we went through your life with a fine toothed comb we’d find some bullshit too.

Lose weight! No, not like that. You need to suffer more!

Obesity isn’t as simple as everyone wants to believe. Medical decisions should be between the patient and their provider. Mind your business and be happy that people are finding success in treating their obesity.
For the record, the first glp-1 meds were approved almost 20 years ago. My husband is on Mounjaro with few side effects but reduced his A1C from 10 to 5.4. And he’s lost 70 lbs so far. He is regularly monitored by his doc and his labs are the best they’ve ever been at 55 years old. I don’t care if it’s “the easy way out”. It’s a way out and that’s the biggest thing. Even if he has to take it the rest of his life.

Lotta judgy douchenozzles in this thread.

I’ve struggled with weight most of my life. Up. Down. Back up. Back down. Back up, plus a little. Covid, followed by my parents dying one and two years after left me in a bad place. Weight got up to a point where exercising came with a lot of back and joint pain. I’m not diabetic, but am on Zepbound (started this week finally after taking months to find something with available supply).

I‘m also in therapy dealing with my head space, focusing on a quality diet with high protein goals (under direction from a doc) and it’s very much a process. I’m sure I probably just need to splash cold water on my face or stomp on my own foot or something for that toughness edge, but I’m taking the path I’m taking.

Would you say this to a drug addict? Nobody has to take heroin to live but you do have to eat. Addictions are a funny thing. I find it odd that you find it bullshit but I’m sure if we went through your life with a fine toothed comb we’d find some bullshit too.

Your comparison doesn’t make sense.

All I am saying is the body can absolutely lose weight without drugs. It simply takes discipline and readjustment when necessary.

People always looking for the easy way out. A “magic bullet” and the drugs in question do appear to seem like it. If someone wants to take them, idgaf, your body, your choice. I feel there are better ways.

Reactions: Panic1769

All I am saying is the body can absolutely lose weight without drugs. It simply takes discipline and readjustment when necessary.

People always looking for the easy way out. A “magic bullet” and the drugs in question do appear to seem like it. If someone wants to take them, idgaf, your body, your choice. I feel there are better ways.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Why don’t you explain it to me instead of asking questions

Uhh because you said it didn't make sense, so I thought you might have reasons for saying so, and I was curious what the reasons were.

That's how this typically works, people who know things say something, people who don't know about those things, will ask questions.

Bizarre that you think I should explain your own reasoning to you, I hope you explain that rationale as well.

I noticed you never responded to my link from the FDA?

I noticed you never responded to my link from the FDA?
What do you want me to respond to? Ozempic is not approved as a weight loss drug; the other one is.

I’m glad you posted it and I learned that ozempic is not FDA approved for “weight loss” while it appears its counter part is. Doesn’t change my stance that you can still lose weight without the use of drugs

Reactions: iavagabond
My wife said a friend of ours told her one problem is she doesn’t eat any good food either. Sounds like a starvation diet without the pain and suffering.

I don’t see how this ends well.
Yep, many of them are becoming skinny fat. Losing weight but still unhealthy and aren't adding muscle tone.

Something along the lines of “thank you for parking your troops here in Europe and providing our defense and safety, so we can allocate funds in OUR budget for free healthcare”?
By the way wealthy Europeans come here for serious top notch medicine. Just ask the scheduling staff at The Cleveland Clinic or the Mayo Clinic.
Our healthcare delivery system is very good. Our healthcare insurance system is totally messed up. It's the insurance component that needs fixing. It's easily done except it would kill all the heavy bribes given to the politicians by the health insurance industry.

Laugh all you guys want, but it works. At one time in my life, Not long ago, was 300 lbs. miserable and depressed. Was pre-diabetic and had to go on meds to reduce my A1C. That was my wake up call and I decided to change. I was determined to not be diabetic. I lost 30 lbs rather quickly by changing my diet. Then I got stuck. I couldn’t lose much more. I’d hover between 260 and 265. It was very difficult for me to break the 260 barrier. I’ve had 7, yes 7, surgeries on my spine, so exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I’m limited.

I started Ozempic Jan 1. I’m down, as of this morning, to 242. I haven’t been under 250 in over 10 years. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep losing more. 220 is my goal, but I may keep going to 200. I haven’t been under 215 in 25 years.

Ozempic makes you feel full. I occasionally find myself ordering a big meal or filling up my plate, then can’t eat it all. One of my biggest nemesis’s was Soda. I used to drink 1-2 per day. I haven’t had a soda or cravings for one since I started. I drink a ton of water per day. The only side effect I have is that I’m not as regular as I used to be. But I’m also not eating anywhere near the quantity, so obviously, less waste passes through.

Some of my weight was genetics. My entire family was heavy. I’m shaped like my Dad and all his Mexican brothers. Skinny legs, large upper body. But most was on me and my lack of discipline. Also way too much alcohol in my 20’s and 30’s.

Right now, Ozempic has been amazing for me.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: goldmom
I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic about 16 years ago by my current PCP. A year ago, she suggested Ozemic as my A1c was slowly increasing. I resisted the change for 6 months then decided to give it a try.

I started in mid July, I weighted 216 pounds then. I'm 182 right now and have kind of stabilized at that weight. I'm just over 6 foot tall.

My A1c is down to mid range normal from 7.0%.

My activity is about the same, my diet is the same but the amount I eat is significantly less and I'm not feeling hungry.

Fortunately my insurance covers the cost except for a $40/12 weeks.

When taking Ozempic, you learn quickly how to eat less.

Also, before Ozempic, I'd have a beer almost every day. Now I may have one a week.

As someone else mentioned, I’ve read the key is to up your strength training, etc. since it will cut both fat and muscle weight. Very few things are 100% good but sounds like the pros outweigh the cons for this in a lot of people.

Laugh all you guys want, but it works. At one time in my life, Not long ago, was 300 lbs. miserable and depressed. Was pre-diabetic and had to go on meds to reduce my A1C. That was my wake up call and I decided to change. I was determined to not be diabetic. I lost 30 lbs rather quickly by changing my diet. Then I got stuck. I couldn’t lose much more. I’d hover between 260 and 265. It was very difficult for me to break the 260 barrier. I’ve had 7, yes 7, surgeries on my spine, so exercise is difficult for me. I try, but I’m limited.

I started Ozempic Jan 1. I’m down, as of this morning, to 242. I haven’t been under 250 in over 10 years. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep losing more. 220 is my goal, but I may keep going to 200. I haven’t been under 215 in 25 years.

Ozempic makes you feel full. I occasionally find myself ordering a big meal or filling up my plate, then can’t eat it all. One of my biggest nemesis’s was Soda. I used to drink 1-2 per day. I haven’t had a soda or cravings for one since I started. I drink a ton of water per day. The only side effect I have is that I’m not as regular as I used to be. But I’m also not eating anywhere near the quantity, so obviously, less waste passes through.

Some of my weight was genetics. My entire family was heavy. I’m shaped like my Dad and all his Mexican brothers. Skinny legs, large upper body. But most was on me and my lack of discipline. Also way too much alcohol in my 20’s and 30’s.

Right now, Ozempic has been amazing for me.
What dosage?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT