ADVERTISEMENT

padillia

Nevada is fish bait but Rutgers is floating around the middle 20% and were not a bad team. Part of Rutgers rating is being soundly beaten by Iowa, as applies with lesser impact to Nevada. How do you explain 21/31 (that's about 68% I think), 243 yards a touchdown and no interceptions of fumbles. Petras was 9/11 when blitzed and like 9/15 when hit. He's been the highest rated offensive player with solid plus 90 in the PFF rankings against our two Big Ten opponents.

You understand that too, right? I want to see Labas but I'm not blind to Spencer's improved play. Part of the reason I'd start throwing until I saw only four man fronts.

Rutgers was terrible. They needed an INT returned for a TD to win by 2 over Temple. Temple is ranked 101. Sell this crap somewhere else.

When it mattered we were down 20-0 & 27-7 vs UM.

Nevada is fish bait but Rutgers is floating around the middle 20% and were not a bad team. Part of Rutgers rating is being soundly beaten by Iowa, as applies with lesser impact to Nevada. How do you explain 21/31 (that's about 68% I think), 243 yards a touchdown and no interceptions of fumbles. Petras was 9/11 when blitzed and like 9/15 when hit. He's been the highest rated offensive player with solid plus 90 in the PFF rankings against our two Big Ten opponents.

You understand that too, right? I want to see Labas but I'm not blind to Spencer's improved play. Part of the reason I'd start throwing until I saw only four man fronts.
You realize Iowa’s offense only scored 13 points against Rutgers right? An offense that has scored three total touchdowns (the last one against Michigan doesn’t really count) in two big ten games is not good.

You realize Iowa’s offense only scored 13 points against Rutgers right? An offense that has scored three total touchdowns (the last one against Michigan doesn’t really count) in two big ten games is not good.
Winning cannot be credited or blamed on the QB, or at least rarely. We aren't talking about "team offense". There are five guys in front of Petras that bear a lot more blame for the lack of team offense than does Petras.

A guy completing nearly 70% of his passes with a TD and no interceptions of fumbles is doing his part for any offense, and especially a passing game that needs to be efficient.

Winning cannot be credited or blamed on the QB, or at least rarely. We aren't talking about "team offense". There are five guys in front of Petras that bear a lot more blame for the lack of team offense than does Petras.

A guy completing nearly 70% of his passes with a TD and no interceptions of fumbles is doing his part for any offense, and especially a passing game that needs to be efficient.
Come on. That “one” touchdown was in garbage time. He’s been better but let’s call it like it is.

Last edited:
Nobody is worse than Petras so stopped reading after the first two sentences. 3 year starter that still sucks a$$.
Your reply was at least refreshing. Most people don't admit a preference for ignorance, although most really do.

Curious what you think are Padilla's superior skills, superior to Petras not every QB? He demonstrated none last season. I fully realize that is setting a low bar for success and, of course, Padilla cannot even kind of get over it.

Bring on Labas the next time Spencer stumbles.

Last edited:

Huh? A QB can't be credited or blamed? It's the most impactful position on the field by far like it or not. Name a team that's won a title or super bowl with a bad QB or a GM that's agnostic to having a great QB. Pretty rare and that's why they spend so much time and money trying to lock down a great one. I agree a qb sometimes gets too much credit or blame, but to suggest they are some sort of cog in an effective offensive wheel is silly.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Huh? A QB can't be credited or blamed? It's the most impactful position on the field by far like it or not. Name a team that's won a title or super bowl with a bad QB or a GM that's agnostic to having a great QB. Pretty rare and that's why they spend so much time and money trying to lock down a great one. I agree a qb sometimes gets too much credit or blame, but to suggest they are some sort of cog in an effective offensive wheel is silly.
Trent Dilfer says hi

Trent Dilfer says hi
That was over 20 years ago and I wouldn't say they had an effective offense. They were arguably the best defense ever assembled and won because of that, not an offensive system with a cog quarterback. If I recall, the Ravens defense forced a point or interception on every series of the entire game and the Giants didn't score on offense.

You can start listing off power option Nebraska teams too if you go back far enough, but that's not today's football. The game is very very different now. Today's players weren't even born in that era.

I think the Hawkeye Offense is improving steadily each week. I wish they were playing like this at the START of the season. They weren't....so I can only hope for (and expect) additional continuous improvement, week to week. Spencer's play has improved too. His play has improved because he himself has improved some...and the things that help a QB perform have also improved (like the O line, getting some additional receiving help, the emergence of Kaleb Johnson, etc.). I'm good with Spencer continuing as the QB. If he plays poorly for 3 series....and I mean if "he" plays poorly...then I think he needs to be yanked for Padilla. The key here is you have to assess things honestly and clearly differentiate between Spencer playing poorly versus things like horrible line play that gives him no or very little protection and/or receivers dropping balls. If you can truly assess it as poor play by Spencer, then yank him and see what spark you can get with Alex.

I like Padilla....I bet he's a terrific young man. I don't think he has a collective set of QB skills that are better than what Petras has. In fact, I'm confident that when you assess collective skills....Spencer is appreciably better. I guess that's why he is, and has been, the starting QB chosen over Padilla : )

Now some of you will say "why not just go with Labas?" Sure.....good plan if you are ready to truly throw away the season. I'm not ready to do that. I'd like to see the team compete for the West title and play in the Championship game. Bring Labas in and you'd see a kid that would experience a game moving so fast that he'd likely make one mistake after another. Would it be a good investment for next year and the year after? Probably not...because truth be told...he's probably not going to be the guy in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Your reply was at least refreshing. Most people don't admit a preference for ignorance, although most really do.

Curious what you think are Padilla's superior skills, superior to Petras not every QB? He demonstrated none last season. I fully realize that is setting a low bar for success and, of course, Padilla cannot even kind of get over it.

Bring on Labas the next time Spencer stumbles.
Padilla and Labas aren't ranked in bottom 10 qb rankings in the nation. Do I need to look further than that? #'s don't lie and you call me ignorant?

I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing the improved play from Spencer. Sure, the completion percentage has gone up, but he still isn’t putting many points on the board. He still over/under throws, and locks on to one receiver. He is still a statue, and prone to panic when pressured. He plays like a first year freshman starter. This should not happen with a 3 year starter in his 5th year in the program.

I don’t hate Petras. Not at all. It’s not his fault he is statistically near the bottom of P5 quarterbacks. The fault lies in the coaching staff. I would like to see Padilla and/or Labas get a series or two to see if either one can provide a spark. The fact that Kirk refuses to give either one a chance, even in garbage time against Rutgers, is troubling.

I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing the improved play from Spencer. Sure, the completion percentage has gone up, but he still isn’t putting many points on the board. He still over/under throws, and locks on to one receiver. He is still a statue, and prone to panic when pressured. He plays like a first year freshman starter. This should not happen with a 3 year starter in his 5th year in the program.

I don’t hate Petras. Not at all. It’s not his fault he is statistically near the bottom of P5 quarterbacks. The fault lies in the coaching staff. I would like to see Padilla and/or Labas get a series or two to see if either one can provide a spark. The fact that Kirk refuses to give either one a chance, even in garbage time against Rutgers, is troubling.

"he" doesn't put points on the board, the 11 players on the field put points on the board. When a QB has a completion % that's close to 70 they really aren't throwing that many bad passes, it's not statistically possible. KF is all NFL, the QB starters just don't come out. I think I've been clear, Spencer is not a good QB but Padilla-based on last year anyway, would need massive improvement to simply have the kind of season Spencer had last year. Watch him warming up or throwing on the sideline. Looks like a wildly inaccurate Snake.

"he" doesn't put points on the board, the 11 players on the field put points on the board. When a QB has a completion % that's close to 70 they really aren't throwing that many bad passes, it's not statistically possible. KF is all NFL, the QB starters just don't come out. I think I've been clear, Spencer is not a good QB but Padilla-based on last year anyway, would need massive improvement to simply have the kind of season Spencer had last year. Watch him warming up or throwing on the sideline. Looks like a wildly inaccurate Snake.

At the end of the day, Iowa offense is absurdly horrid. No way around it. We've plugged and played at every spot but 2... OC and QB. So try to spin it as ya want but doing nothing doesn't work, so try something new. Sure, you can argue Padilla's stats suck and that's fair, but his offense scores more points than SP. Play him and if it doesn't get any better, play the next guy. We do that at all the other positions.

The alternative is to do nothing and defend inaction. We are already doing that and it doesn't work.

That’s fair. The 11 players put more points on the board when Padilla was in over Petras. That is an absolute undisputed fact.

Please show your numbers when you came up with the claim that Padilla was sacked “literally twice as much” as Petras. Because that is nowhere near the truth. Petras was actually sacked more than Padilla was per drop back.

I also like your statement that Padilla throws an easy ball to intercept because it “flutters”. You remember Padilla only had two passes picked off in 112 attempts right? Petras had 4 picked off vs Purdue alone. Please list the number of B1G QBs last year not named CJ Stroud that had less INTs per attempt than Padilla (min 100 attempts).

Reactions: Lisbon Hawk

Petras was 7-13 for 76 yards with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Iowa had just punted two straight possessions in the 2nd Half and Michigan was up 20-0. The game was over. Anything that happened after that was fluff. The 4th down dud to LaPorta in the 4th Quarter was SP in a nutshell. Any HS QB could have made that throw.

How many full games would it take this offense to score 27 on Michigan's defense?
Irrelevant. If Iowa had scored with 7 mins left in the game to make the score 20-14 (they should have), they only would have needed 21 to win the game. Any other questions genius?

Petras was 7-13 for 76 yards with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Iowa had just punted two straight possessions in the 2nd Half and Michigan was up 20-0. The game was over. Anything that happened after that was fluff. The 4th down dud to LaPorta in the 4th Quarter was SP in a nutshell. Any HS QB could have made that throw.
So, he finished 14-18?

No game is "over" when someone's down 20. Every week someone blows that lead. The game is over when there is insufficient time to score enough points to overtake the lead. A 20 point lead in the middle of the third quarter is not "over". That last 4th quarter collapse by the defense is what killed the comeback. We were only down 20-7 and that's really just two plays, if my first grade math skills are right.

Sure glad the players don't follow your line of thought, there'd never be a 4th quarter comeback.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
Irrelevant. If Iowa had scored with 7 mins left in the game to make the score 20-14 (they should have), they only would have needed 21 to win the game. Any other questions genius?

No. They would have needed 28 to win the game, genius.

So, he finished 14-18?

No game is "over" when someone's down 20. Every week someone blows that lead. The game is over when there is insufficient time to score enough points to overtake the lead. A 20 point lead in the middle of the third quarter is not "over". That last 4th quarter collapse by the defense is what killed the comeback. We were only down 20-7 and that's really just two plays, if my first grade math skills are right.

Sure glad the players don't follow your line of thought, there'd never be a 4th quarter comeback.

That woukd be true in most cases. Not for Iowa. They scored exactly 7 points when the game was in question. Period.

No. They would have needed 28 to win the game, genius.
No....because if Iowa scored to make it 20 to 14 with 6 or 7 mins to go....I can all but promise you Michigan wasnt scoring again. Look...I get that you're trolling me...but do you understand football at all? Now please...stfu and stop with your dipshit commentary.

This whole thread has turned into trying to defend sh*t with poop. Our offense isn't good. Trying to find obscure stats showing that our current track is the right on is a bad mentality. We lead on defense and ST, but our offense is really bad. So defending what we are doing gets us right back to choosing either sh*t or poop. Lets try something different until it gets better. Worst case, we end up in the same sh*t put we are already in.

This is not new with Ferentz... look at 2012. He loves giving us fans the middle finger but the joke is on him because he is nationally lampooned for being incompetent. Oh well he got his money.
Thanks to playing one QB 100% of snaps that year we lost our opening game the next year! Maybe if he had a few snaps under his belt we might not have started that game so poorly and might have actually won. We seem to not have learned from this. Of course we know why.

Isn't it possible that the QB room is full of guys that are as bad as or worse than Petras?? Does anyone really believe that the coaches are somehow hiding Patrick Mahomes or even Drew Tate on the bench in lieu of Spencer? To what purpose exactly? Their offense has been a punchline for the last 2 years and a bunch of people on here think they are holding a QB back? Think about that for a minute.
Jake C started over Ricky Stanzi game after game after game after….

Jake C started over Ricky Stanzi game after game after game after….
That is sarcasm, right. I hope so because Jake started the first two games only, and split halves with Ricky in both games, so roughly equal PT. Ricky started game 3, got yanked for terrible play as Jake led a come from behind win over the clowns. Ricky started game 4 and was intended to play the entire game but got yanked for disobeying the coaches decisions about clock management. Ricky never did that again. Jake started only two games ahead of Ricky.

I was kind of a Ricky man coming into the season but I also knew he might be a little wild and could require some breaking in. Given all those pick sixes I think KF probably wanted to see game play before he gave the keys to Ricky.

That is sarcasm, right. I hope so because Jake started the first two games only, and split halves with Ricky in both games, so roughly equal PT. Ricky started game 3, got yanked for terrible play as Jake led a come from behind win over the clowns. Ricky started game 4 and was intended to play the entire game but got yanked for disobeying the coaches decisions about clock management. Ricky never did that again. Jake started only two games ahead of Ricky.

I was kind of a Ricky man coming into the season but I also knew he might be a little wild and could require some breaking in. Given all those pick sixes I think KF probably wanted to see game play before he gave the keys to Ricky.

More Deplorable lies. Iowa never trailed to ISU in 2008 so I’m not quite sure how JC led the Hawks to a come from behind win? 🙄

JC’s 4-5 for 27 yards was what pushed the Hawks that day. 😂

More Deplorable lies. Iowa never trailed to ISU in 2008 so I’m not quite sure how JC led the Hawks to a come from behind win? 🙄

It wasnt come from behind, but Ricky was 5-14 for 92 yards and 2 INT during that game.

It wasnt come from behind, but Ricky was 5-14 for 92 yards and 2 INT during that game.

I agree Ricky wasn’t very good that day in his 2nd career start and 3rd overall game of real action. It’s safe to say to that he improved tremendously from that point in 2008 until his last game vs Mizzou in the Insight Bowl. Glad we didn’t write him off after his 3rd game like we’re seeing today.

Oh, looked it up. You are right, we didn't trail. Ricky got benched because his QB rating was 1.0 we were tied at 3. Now here's for the stupid cubed move you just pulled. I had to take the ****ing time to go back and analyze the play by play. Ricky was benched about the 2:37 mark in the 3rd quarter. The Stanzi led offense scored three points, Ricky was only 5-14 he also threw two interceptions. More importantly still tied after about 42 minutes of play. Iowa's only offensive TD and another FG were the product of Jake's drives. So, you're right, we didn't trail 5-3 as I thought (cuz I knew there was a safety in the game) we were actually tied at three. So basically, I was mistaken about the quarter in which we had a safety. That's the size of my error. Pretty ****ing small.

Pyrrhic victory for you, simp. Do you think a guy with a busy mind might have had a very small mistaken recollection. That's not lying, it's merely being wrong, and in this case not very wrong at all. The lost to you is self-respect because your technical distinction was merely sound and fury signifying nothing, yet you chose to call me liar. I'm sure others will note your lack of gentility and horrid manners. The need to get so vicious already displayed existing issues with self-esteem. An intelligent, self-confident man would not feel even an urge to get so ugly over such a trivial error. If you do not feel stupid right now, you're just a bully. If you feel stupid, and you should, you might at least be on the road to recovery by feeling bad for displaying a low IQ and picking a fight over an old and somewhat trivial point, and in vicious personal terms no less.

If it's one thing I hate, it's a fanny with a keyboard in its hands.​

Oh, looked it up. You are right, we didn't trail. Ricky got benched because his QB rating was 1.0 we were tied at 3. Now here's for the stupid cubed move you just pulled. I had to take the ****ing time to go back and analyze the play by play. Ricky was benched about the 2:37 mark in the 3rd quarter. The Stanzi led offense scored three points, Ricky was only 5-14 he also threw two interceptions. More importantly still tied after about 42 minutes of play. Iowa's only offensive TD and another FG were the product of Jake's drives. So, you're right, we didn't trail 5-3 as I thought (cuz I knew there was a safety in the game) we were actually tied at three. So basically, I was mistaken about the quarter in which we had a safety. That's the size of my error. Pretty ****ing small.

Pyrrhic victory for you, simp. Do you think a guy with a busy mind might have had a very small mistaken recollection. That's not lying, it's merely being wrong, and in this case not very wrong at all. The lost to you is self-respect because your technical distinction was merely sound and fury signifying nothing, yet you chose to call me liar. I'm sure others will note your lack of gentility and horrid manners. The need to get so vicious already displayed existing issues with self-esteem. An intelligent, self-confident man would not feel even an urge to get so ugly over such a trivial error. If you do not feel stupid right now, you're just a bully. If you feel stupid, and you should, you might at least be on the road to recovery by feeling bad for displaying a low IQ and picking a fight over an old and somewhat trivial point, and in vicious personal terms no less.

If it's one thing I hate, it's a fanny with a keyboard in its hands.​

Blah blah blah…… JC led the scoring drive with two complete passes of: 4 yards and 3 yards. Shonn Greene took care of the rest. JC certainly didn’t lead Iowa to any come from behind win and one could argue that he led them to the win vs ISU. 27 total passing yards in five attempts is hardly anything to puff your chest out for. The rest I didn’t read the nonsense. I should just for more inaccuracies, but it’s late.

BTW, did you ever find those numbers that backed up your claim of Padilla getting sacked more, or just pretend that lie never happened?

***I’ll correct you again. JC didn’t lead Iowa to a TD and a FG. He led them to a TD and another TD was scored on a Brodell punt return. The final score was 17-5 it was 3-3 when JC came in. You even looked it up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
You mean like what you are doing? 😮
Me saying that the game wasn't "over" when it was 20-0 in the 3rd quarter does not make me a moron. What were you feeling when Iowa seemed like they were about to score to make it 20-14 with 6-7 minutes left in the game? Be honest. Isn't it true that, in the very moment, you were filled with excitement? Isn't it also true that you were thinking...."man, if we punch this in to make it 20-14, we'll just need our tough D to get the ball back for us and we'll have a chance"? Every Iowa Hawkeye fan watching that game had those feelings....and you know it. There you go my friend....my point has just been made.....the game wasn't "over" in the 3rd quarter when the score was 20-0. Nice of you to stick up for grayhair81 and enter the conversation....but now I assume you are also a moron just like him. Congratulations!

No....because if Iowa scored to make it 20 to 14 with 6 or 7 mins to go....I can all but promise you Michigan wasnt scoring again. Look...I get that you're trolling me...but do you understand football at all? Now please...stfu and stop with your dipshit commentary.
But they didn’t, did they? Petras threw a horribly off target pass to a wide open receiver that would have been either a first down or TD.

As for guaranteeing Michigan wouldn’t score again. Oh…my…God. Please apply your last sentence to yourself.

Terrific reply!
I honestly don't know what you find funny or why you would be so upset that you are swearing about my post. Let's think about this. If the Hawks punch that score in with 7 minutes left in the game to make it 20-14....what do you think that does to our Defensive unit? Our Kinnick Stadium Crowd? Jim Harbaugh and his feeling of panic which guides how he calls plays? The young Michigan QB? Seriously think about that.

I find it highly unlikely that Michigan would have scored on their next possession. Also highly probable that we DON'T score again either, given our offensive issues. But then again...I didn't make the claim that they would.

Ok...you can go back to doing your "LOL" and "JFC" crap. It adds so much to the conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
But they didn’t, did they? Petras threw a horribly off target pass to a wide open receiver that would have been either a first down or TD.

As for guaranteeing Michigan wouldn’t score again. Oh…my…God. Please apply your last sentence to yourself.
"But but but but but they didn't!!!!"

Listen dumbass....go back and read my comments and try to keep up. This exchange is about someone stating that the game was over in the 3rd quarter when it was 20-0. I stated that it was not over. If you want to argue that point along with grayhair81 find someone else to bicker with. My points are all made within the post....and I stand by them. Troll someone else.

Blah blah blah…… JC led the scoring drive with two complete passes of: 4 yards and 3 yards. Shonn Greene took care of the rest. JC certainly didn’t lead Iowa to any come from behind win and one could argue that he led them to the win vs ISU. 27 total passing yards in five attempts is hardly anything to puff your chest out for. The rest I didn’t read the nonsense. I should just for more inaccuracies, but it’s late.

BTW, did you ever find those numbers that backed up your claim of Padilla getting sacked more, or just pretend that lie never happened?

***I’ll correct you again. JC didn’t lead Iowa to a TD and a FG. He led them to a TD and another TD was scored on a Brodell punt return. The final score was 17-5 it was 3-3 when JC came in. You even looked it up.

The same with SP "leading Iowa back vs Nebraska". The blocked punt for a TD is the ONLY reason Iowa won that game. The clinching drive consisted of SP handing the ball off every snap. Prior to that, he accounted for 6 points-same as AP did in the 1st half.

Reactions: iahawks10
"But but but but but they didn't!!!!"

Listen dumbass....go back and read my comments and try to keep up. This exchange is about someone stating that the game was over in the 3rd quarter when it was 20-0. I stated that it was not over. If you want to argue that point along with grayhair81 find someone else to bicker with. My points are all made within the post....and I stand by them. Troll someone else.
Ah….resorting to name calling. When you have nothing else…….

I was responding to your comments about “if” Iowa scored, and you guaranteeing Michigan would not score again. I didn’t address the “game is/isn’t over” argument AT ALL.

YOU need to keep up. Honestly, you are so busy making inane comments and trying to put out fires defending those comments, you can’t keep track of them all.

Consider taking a break.

Terrific reply!
I honestly don't know what you find funny or why you would be so upset that you are swearing about my post. Let's think about this. If the Hawks punch that score in with 7 minutes left in the game to make it 20-14....what do you think that does to our Defensive unit? Our Kinnick Stadium Crowd? Jim Harbaugh and his feeling of panic which guides how he calls plays? The young Michigan QB? Seriously think about that.

I find it highly unlikely that Michigan would have scored on their next possession. Also highly probable that we DON'T score again either, given our offensive issues. But then again...I didn't make the claim that they would.

Ok...you can go back to doing your "LOL" and "JFC" crap. It adds so much to the conversation.

How do you guarantee Michigan wouldn't score again? Why would it have been less likely for them to score if the game was in doubt? Their lines controlled the LOS all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT