ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

In the moment, it does suck. Then time builds perspective. It reminds that but for a crafty vet’s savviness, the medal’s gold. If either of two “grounded pushouts” puts two freakin’ inches of air under Rei’s kneecaps, the lead’s 3-2, Higuchi’s the one overextending to catch up, and Spencer’s tacking on that TD capper. Time will also recall that no one else threatened Spencer on this ultimate senior stage, not even pesky Zou.
I hope quality days with family in France starts the healing. I hope he realizes how successful the trip was and the great value of the medal he won. And, if health allows, I hope we see him in LA.

I’m hoping Spencer decides to compete for at least another four years. He should consider visiting/training in Japan for a spell, imo. I’m sure there are other freestyle hot-spots around the world but it sounds like he appreciates the Japanese culture. I’m starting to think US freestyle wrestlers might benefit from immersion in another country’s techniques and training methods.

You heard it here first….

I am just venting, but it just felt like we were due for something amazing. For the past several years it just feels like we have been denied, like we cannot have nice things. I thought we were going to win in 2020, denied. Back to back? Denied. Kemerer wins a title! Denied. Fine, but Spencer will when his fourth title, the first Hawkeye to ever do so! That cannot be taken away! Denied.

I know he lost to a worthy opponent, still quite a feat. Nothing to have shame about. But again it just felt like something amazing was coming and it is so disappointing coming up short again.

Also another reminder of just have ludicrously hard it is to win Olympic gold. I think about all the amazing wrestlers Penn State has had and they only have 1 gold to show, and even that was but the slimmest of margins.
This your first time being a Hawk? It’s our destiny unfortunately

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT