ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sandfort NBA Draft Writeup

I agree his defense would be a liability at times in the league. My comparison would be a Kyle Korver type who can hit the 3 ball at a good clip. He still needs to be more consistent with his outside shot for that to happen. Korver could light it up!

Reactions: HIWILLE
The question becomes- If a team drafts him the 2nd round does he go? Another would be does he go the KrMurray route and come back for another year to improve his stock?

I agree his defense would be a liability at times in the league. My comparison would be a Kyle Korver type who can hit the 3 ball at a good clip. He still needs to be more consistent with his outside shot for that to happen. Korver could light it up!
I think Korver was stronger than Payton. I compare him to Jow Weiskamp, a G leaguer now. PS should return to Iowa IMO.

I think Korver was stronger than Payton. I compare him to Jow Weiskamp, a G leaguer now. PS should return to Iowa IMO.

With NIL, I'd normally say a guy projected to go in the 2nd round might as well come back to college. What could make this year different is that this is projected to be one of the worst draft classes in a long time. Even if Payton makes big improvements next year, he might slip in a more competitive draft class next year.

All that said, if this year's draft is really as bad as everyone says it is, I think that will probably just mean that a lot of the guys drafted in the 2nd round will not land a full time roster spot. So I'm not sure getting drafted in the 2nd this year is a big improvement over being undrafted next year.

I hope Payton comes back, and my guess is he will be back.

With NIL, I'd normally say a guy projected to go in the 2nd round might as well come back to college. What could make this year different is that this is projected to be one of the worst draft classes in a long time. Even if Payton makes big improvements next year, he might slip in a more competitive draft class next year.

All that said, if this year's draft is really as bad as everyone says it is, I think that will probably just mean that a lot of the guys drafted in the 2nd round will not land a full time roster spot. So I'm not sure getting drafted in the 2nd this year is a big improvement over being undrafted next year.

I hope Payton comes back, and my guess is he will be back.
Yeah I keep seeing this a lot, but just getting drafted doesn't really mean much in the NBA for 2nd rounders. He'd probably get a 2-way deal and to be honest, I think he can get a 2-way deal next year even if he isn't drafted sort of like what AJ Green did.

There really isn't a huge increase in money for someone getting picked 40th vs someone who signs as a free agent to a 2-way. So my biggest question is that are any teams going to offer him a guaranteed roster spot and I really don't see any team doing that with him this year, which is why most Iowa media members keep saying that they expect him to return to Iowa.

Korver is not a bad comp. Both not great guarding the dribble. One difference is that Korver was a really good TEAM defender. Right spots, help side, etc. I haven't seen a team understanding from PS, but could happen yet.
Korver had NBA range, not sure if PS can maintain a 40+% to NBA 3 line.

Remember Korvers range but wasn’t he a catch and release type? Or could he create off the dribble with the same accuracy?

I saw ESPN had him as the 35th pick in a recent mock draft. That's like the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. If he gets that, he's gone. Another year is not going to get him a higher draft slot than that, especially since next year's draft is supposed to be far deeper than this year's draft is. He might want to play another year with his brother but he may not have a choice and have to come out this year.

Korver is not a bad comp. Both not great guarding the dribble. One difference is that Korver was a really good TEAM defender. Right spots, help side, etc. I haven't seen a team understanding from PS, but could happen yet.
Korver had NBA range, not sure if PS can maintain a 40+% to NBA 3 line.
There's few if any Korver types left in the league.

I have no doubt Payton could shoot 40% from 3 because the offensive efficiency in the NBA is so good that the majority of 3pt looks are fairly open.

I don't think Payton can play D in the NBA and I think that will prevent him from making a roster.

Coaches don't want to play guys that the opponent can just iso every time down court.

He may have a cup of coffee like Weiskamp.

One difference is that Korver was a really good TEAM defender. Right spots, help side, etc. I haven't seen a team understanding from PS, but could happen yet.
Good observation jerbob. But Team Defense hasn't really been a strength at Iowa in the McCaffrey era. I just don't know whether that can be "learned" in a year at Iowa. Just an observation :)

It’s an interesting scenario. If he comes back is he really going to improve his draft stock much? Say he bumps up 4 pts a game and ups his 3% shooting % 3-4%. He kind of is what he is athletically. You can improve your athleticism some, but he’s going to get drafted for his skill, which is shooting. If as someone said 35 I think he’d be crazy not to go. He’s going to the G league no matter when he goes, even if he blows up next year. He’s to limited athletically. Obviously his call and unless he really loves it here why not go play in the G league?

It’s an interesting scenario. If he comes back is he really going to improve his draft stock much? Say he bumps up 4 pts a game and ups his 3% shooting % 3-4%. He kind of is what he is athletically. You can improve your athleticism some, but he’s going to get drafted for his skill, which is shooting. If as someone said 35 I think he’d be crazy not to go. He’s going to the G league no matter when he goes, even if he blows up next year. He’s to limited athletically. Obviously his call and unless he really loves it here why not go play in the G league?
That was the same thought process Weiskamp had although I think he had a slightly better chance to stick than Payton.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The question becomes- If a team drafts him the 2nd round does he go? Another would be does he go the KrMurray route and come back for another year to improve his stock?
I don't really see PS " improving his stock" by returning. He is what he is. Another year won't bridge the gap for him athletically. I'd still consider Joe W a better athlete then Payton, (and a higher % three ball scorer),and he's hanging on by his finger nails to the league....

Great read. Still its a real stretch for him athletically to hang with NBA players.......
^^^This here is why teams may shy away from him.

The opponents are not going to just allow Payton to play at one end of the court. They will sniff out his weakness and exploit it. It will already be known that he comes from a program that puts absolutely zero emphasis on defense. They will test him early and often and run isolation plays with whoever he is guarding. For Payton, success at the next level will come down to hard work and attitude on the defensive end of the court.

Not saying there might not be a spot for him on a roster, that's subjective to each team. However, I strongly suspect when the official NBA pre-draft analysis comes out it will say a lot of what I mention above as things he needs to work out.

Last edited:
I like the kid but he'll be back next season and will never play in the league.

Not happening no matter how hard anyone squints through their black and gold glasses.

I saw ESPN had him as the 35th pick in a recent mock draft. That's like the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. If he gets that, he's gone. Another year is not going to get him a higher draft slot than that, especially since next year's draft is supposed to be far deeper than this year's draft is. He might want to play another year with his brother but he may not have a choice and have to come out this year.
I don't care either way. But it's really difficult for me to project Payton as a contributor in the NBA. He's a good college player, but is he better than Weiskamp? Does he have more game than Garza? (Yes, different position. I get it.) Whatever Payton decides, I hope it works out well for him.

I don't care either way. But it's really difficult for me to project Payton as a contributor in the NBA. He's a good college player, but is he better than Weiskamp? Does he have more game than Garza? (Yes, different position. I get it.) Whatever Payton decides, I hope it works out well for him.
Yeah, I quit trying to determine who could make it in the NBA a while ago because several players have left that I didn't think had a shot in hell and have done better than I thought they would. Plus, if someone doesn't mind playing overseas or getting paid to develop in the G league then that changes the formula for them as well. I hope he sticks around for another year but I won't curse the ground he walks on if he decides to move on either.

Remember Korvers range but wasn’t he a catch and release type? Or could he create off the dribble with the same accuracy?
Many who are using Korver as a comparison to Payton and that Payton is not at that level, are using the 30 year old seasoned professional version, rather than the 22 year old. I would say at the same age of 21/22 they are pretty similar.

Reactions: shanksit44
Great read. Still its a real stretch for him athletically to hang with NBA players.......
I skimmed the article and it does seem like an objective, good read. As many have already said, I just don't see how a player with average (at best) quickness and below average defense prowess at the collegiate level will translate into any kind of NBA career....:rolleyes: Having said that, obviously others think differently and I hope he does stick in the end....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT