ADVERTISEMENT

Pennsylvania sheriff deploys deputies to ballot drop boxes. Citizens questioned as the drop off their ballots.

By the time you feel moved to wake up they'll have come for you.
Do we have any evidence at all that the officers at the polls in Berks County, PA have made any inquiries at all beyond “Is that your ballot?”?

Because it’s certainly worth debating whether or not that’s appropriate, but it’s hardly Schutzstaffel-level interrogation.

Please explain how gerrymandering works in areas where there's a relatively high percentage of registered independents?

They don't look at party registrations so much as they look at votes on the precinct level, demographic data etc.

Voter registrations, especially where I am from are a terrible metric because it's just based off which primary you last voted in. I've flipped between D & R registrations multiple times in my life not based on how I planned on voting in the next election but based on which primary was more interesting for me to vote in. Our Republican senator was famously registered as a Democrat for like 20 years while he was serving in the state house as a Republican. While I was volunteering for a congressional campaign I was looking over the public voter rolls in my area of responsibility and found the chairwoman of the county Republican party registered as a Dem.

So instead you look at votes at the precinct level in the last several elections. On top of that you can look at demographic data, people's race, income, education levels, etc etc etc.

Crap social media these days probably helps too.

Last edited:
And you and others are insisting that Democrats are the majority using flawed evidence.

It’s entirely possible that Democrats would still win the popular vote if the popular vote was the objective. There is no way for anyone to really know. What we do know is that the popular vote would be different if the popular vote was the objective. That’s not even open to debate.

The candidates would campaign differently. They would deploy time and money and resources differently. They would spend more time in California and New York and Illinois and Massachusetts instead of Ohio and North Carolina and Arizona and Georgia.

Republican voters on the west coast and the New England states would be more inclined to vote. Democratic voters in the deep south and the plains states would be more inclined to vote. There is simply no way to know how it would impact the final tally.

And yet every single day on HORT the Democrats repeatedly insist they are the majority and one of the most frequently cited pieces of evidence is that they have won 7 of the last 8 popular votes.

In 7 of the last 12 general elections, Republican candidates for the U.S. House collectively received more votes than the Democratic candidates collectively received. That tells me it’s a fairly even split between Republicans and Democrats in this country.
No - you're twisting things again. The claim made was that the republicans are in the majority and that is incorrect. The other claim made is that the Democrats have garnered more votes in Presidential elections. That is correct. The rest of your diatribe is simply stuff you're making up.

Do we have any evidence at all that the officers at the polls in Berks County, PA have made any inquiries at all beyond “Is that your ballot?”?

Because it’s certainly worth debating whether or not that’s appropriate, but it’s hardly Schutzstaffel-level interrogation.

What other legitimate democracy has armed police questioning people at the ballot box?

Because that's the behavior of authoritarian states.

And having people questioned on "is this your ballot" is just the beginning. This can easily transition into tougher questions as the authoritarians become more confident.

This is a step in the wrong direction and you know it. You can put up cameras there if you want. That way everything is on record and not reliant on what 2 different people might say about what happened.

Also what if someone says "No it's my grandma's ballot, she's homebound" They gonna slap the cuffs on you?

They don't look at party registrations so much as they look at votes on the precinct level, demographic data etc.

Voter registrations, especially where I am from are a terrible metric because it's just based off which primary you last voted in. I've flipped between D & R registrations multiple times in my life not based on how I planned on voting in the next election but based on which primary was more interesting for me to vote in. Our Republican senator was famously registered as a Democrat for like 20 years while he was serving in the state house as a Republican. While I was volunteering for a congressional campaign I was looking over the public voter rolls in my area of responsibility and found the chairwoman of the county Republican party registered as a Dem.

So instead you look at votes at the precinct level in the last several elections. On top of that you can look at demographic data, people's race, income, education levels, etc etc etc.

Crap social media these days probably helps too.
Ah, so it's not really gerrymandering because independents don't vote party lines, and there's no way to determine how many people cross over.

Ah, so it's not really gerrymandering because independents don't vote party lines, and there's no way to determine how many people cross over.
If that's the case then why is so much time and effort put into redrawing these lines?

Hint: it's not the case.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Anyone familiar with Pennsylvania know why they didn't change their voter laws to count mail in ballots as they come in?

The much derided Florida has results within hrs of the polls closing because they count them as they're received.

Waiting a week for results seems archaic in 2022.

Reactions: goldmom

Yeah it is . . . if you know that 80 percent of people in this precinct reliably vote one way and about how many votes you regularly get out of that precinct every election then you can pretty easily use that information to draw lines favorable to you.

That's not to mention that you also have access to demographic data about people's incomes, race etc and you know based on that how often people vote your way.

You realize that just because someone is registered independent doesn't mean that they really are independent right?

Got me there. Let's just run our elections like they do in Iran, Russia, North Korea... I'll bet you thought the elections in the occupied territories of Ukraine were free and fair.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Anyone familiar with Pennsylvania know why they didn't change their voter laws to count mail in ballots as they come in?

The much derided Florida has results within hrs of the polls closing because they count them as they're received.

My guess is that Pennsylvania's Republican controlled state legislature likely could not come to any sort of agreement with their democratic governor.

And you and others are insisting that Democrats are the majority using flawed evidence.

It’s entirely possible that Democrats would still win the popular vote if the popular vote was the objective. There is no way for anyone to really know. What we do know is that the popular vote would be different if the popular vote was the objective. That’s not even open to debate.

The candidates would campaign differently. They would deploy time and money and resources differently. They would spend more time in California and New York and Illinois and Massachusetts instead of Ohio and North Carolina and Arizona and Georgia.

Republican voters on the west coast and the New England states would be more inclined to vote. Democratic voters in the deep south and the plains states would be more inclined to vote. There is simply no way to know how it would impact the final tally.

And yet every single day on HORT the Democrats repeatedly insist they are the majority and one of the most frequently cited pieces of evidence is that they have won 7 of the last 8 popular votes.

In 7 of the last 12 general elections, Republican candidates for the U.S. House collectively received more votes than the Democratic candidates collectively received. That tells me it’s a fairly even split between Republicans and Democrats in this country.
With the current system a lot of states are ignored as well

Map of General-Election Campaign Events and TV Ad Spending by 2020 Presidential Candidates

2020 General-Election Campaign Events Were Concentrated on a Dozen or so Closely Divided Battleground States
12 states have received 96% of the 2020 general-election campaign events (204 of 212) by the major-party presidential and vice-presidential candidates (August 28 to November 3, 2020).

All of the 212 events were in just 17 states, meaning that 33 states and the District of Columbia did not receive any general-election campaign events at all.

Pennsylvania received 47 general-election campaign events -- the most of any state and 22% of the total. Florida received 31 events -- 15% of the total. Together, Pennsylvania and Florida received three-eighths of the entire presidential campaign.

FairVote created the database and this map of campaign activity. Click here to see details of the candidates' visits to various states. The map shows, by state, the number of campaign events starting on August 28, 2020 (the day after the end of the Republican National Convention) and ending on Tuesday November 3, 2020 (Election Day).

events-2020-week-10-aug-28-to-nov-3-v1.png

The reason why voters in only a handful of states matter in presidential races is that almost all states award all of their electoral votes to the candidate who gets the most votes inside the state. Because of these state winner-take-all laws, candidates have no reason to pay attention to voters unless they live in a state where the race is within a few percentage points.

Despite the pandemic, the total of 212 events in 2020 equaled 84% of the total number of events in 2012 -- the most recent election involving an incumbent President and Vice President.

The situation was similar in 2016 when 94% of the general-election campaign events (375 of the 399) were in a dozen states. Also, two-thirds of the events were in just 6 states (OH, FL, VA, NC, PA, MI).

And, the situation was similar in 2012. In 2012, 100% of the 253 events were in just 12 states. Two-thirds of the general-election campaign events were in four states (OH, FL, VA, IA).

So true. Reagan was a racist MF as well.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...eammate/7058e682-7bab-4f70-9a72-c0d84f895622/

By Lou Cannon
January 16, 1986

The "young black man" whom President Reagan called yesterday "probably the closest friend I ever had" was the late William Franklin Burghardt, the center on the 1931 Eureka College football team on which Reagan was a starting guard.

According to accounts given by both men over the years, Burghardt and Reagan became friends playing football for the small Illinois school and remained in correspondence over the years until Burghardt died on Aug. 8, 1981.

In an incident celebrated by Reagan in his autobiography and confirmed by his football coach, Ralph McKinzie, Reagan took Burghardt and the team's other black player into his own home when a hotel in a small Illinois town refused them admittance on a road trip in 1931. Many public places in the Middle West in those days were as rigidly segregated as they were in the South.

The cons in the House and Senate have voted 3 years in a row, says No to early counting until the last ballot is in, and they have control.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I don’t have a side. And the stupid popular vote argument is getting old. I realize the logic is over your head- but if an election were decided based on the popular vote, turnout changes and results change. Dumb argument.
Well now that we have a man of your superior intellect NC, perhaps you will explain to us why it is such “stupid” argument? We elect our national leader under a different format than we elect most other public officials. Why is that now necessary?

Well now that we have a man of your superior intellect NC, perhaps you will explain to us why it is such “stupid” argument? We elect our national leader under a different format than we elect most other public officials. Why is that now necessary?
JFC. Why is it a stupid argument? Because you immediately change the value of one person’s vote on the actual result of the election. It goes from a wildly powerful position in let’s say Arizona to just a position. It takes the nobody Republican in LA and greatly improves his impact.

Thank you. At least someone has their head out of their ass on here. Seriously what a bunch of dumbasses.

Reactions: goldmom
JFC. Why is it a stupid argument? Because you immediately change the value of one person’s vote on the actual result of the election. It goes from a wildly powerful position in let’s say Arizona to just a position. It takes the nobody Republican in LA and greatly improves his impact.
And allows for minority rule. Minority rule is not the same as a representative democracy.

And allows for minority rule. Minority rule is not the same as a representative democracy.
You realize you actually make no sense, correct? Let me just say this- the union would fall apart if you change to a popular vote situation. And all the Iowans on here drooling about it would be in shit situations.

I’ve always felt that conservatives, while championing “freedom,” are often very much drawn to totalitarianism and police states.
You must be vaxxed to come in here (Federal Buildings). You must be vaxxed to work here. Show us your Vax card.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Wow dude. Not the take I thought you would have.

Why? Because I don't sound the alarms, hit the panic button and throw a hissy fit over every damn little thing? Sheesh. Sorry man, this just doesn't rank highly on my care scale. It's just not that big of a deal.

The cons in the House and Senate have voted 3 years in a row, says No to early counting until the last ballot is in, and they have control.
Absentee and early votes in my county are tallied frequently but they’re not seen or revealed to the public. It’s why our Election Supervisor was able to give us a final result Tally by 8pm in 2020.

Why? Because I don't sound the alarms, hit the panic button and throw a hissy fit over every damn little thing? Sheesh. Sorry man, this just doesn't rank highly on my care scale. It's just not that big of a deal.
That's fine but why even post in this thread then? I mean to have a sheriff do this is just stupid imo. I don't think we need to hit the panic button but its clearly a power trip.

Absentee and early votes in my county are tallied frequently but they’re not seen or revealed to the public. It’s why our Election Supervisor was able to give us a final result Tally by 8pm in 2020.
Our representatives in Penna aren't smart enough to figure that out. They hate early voting by mail and the number only grows larger every election.

The Nazis started small, and when enough people went along or they didn't get much push-back, they went bigger. For a day or two, it looked like 1/6 would be the event that made the majority say, "Enough." Now, nearly GOP on a ballot either endorses the stolen election lies or lacks the courage to stand up against them. I'm not really anxious to see if there's a line that they are unwilling to cross, or if so, what that line is. What those law enforcement officers are doing is not okay, and they should be stopped from doing it.
@binsfeldcyhawk2

I wish I could think this but why would this start now? With all of the terrible things Republicans have said and done over the last 15 years you would think the so-called independents and moderates would have left the MAGA's a long time ago. But every election cycle Republicans find something that seems to get independents or moderates to forget about all those things and come back and vote for them. Some years they have more success than others, but they always get them to come back.
It boggles the mind.

Reactions: franklinman

39 states don't allow tabulation of early votes until the actual day of the election. 16 of those states (and DC) don't allow tabulating to begin until after the polls close, so they aren't alone by any measure.

Why do independents help to vote in Republicans after helping to vote them out??? It couldn’t be because of the crap policies the democrats run on? That was the point of my post
I don’t know why I am doing this but why so funny @Tom Paris

39 states don't allow tabulation of early votes until the actual day of the election. 16 of those states (and DC) don't allow tabulating to begin until after the polls close, so they aren't alone by any measure.
Good to know…seems silly not to count them as they come in

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT