ADVERTISEMENT

People are quitting if not allowed to work from home

• Thread starter anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
  • Start date
My whole office went remote work coincidentally right before the pandemic. At that point, much of the office was already remote, so I was mostly driving in to do emails and phone calls, and I'd rather not do that. Happy to be at home.

However, I won't deny that I miss the culture of 10 years ago when we were pretty much all in the office. I never enjoyed the commute, but I didn't start really wanting to go remote until other people started to. Once we got to about half remote, being in the office no longer had any benefits.

My wife's company has gone back to three days a week, with pretty casual "enforcement" around what days and what time you come and go. She had a lot of anxiety going back, but because its so laid back, it's been good for her.

Yep. I have heard anecdotal stories already of people that I know looking due to companies not adapting to the new world. Retention is going to drop like a rock for organizations that don’t get this right.
Throughout the last 30-40 years companies actions have taught workers that loyalty is a one way street, and if needed any organization will dump you or cut hours/etc. so you should understand that you need to do the same and act in your own self interest only.

Read somewhere (sorry cant recall where I saw the link) that people are not wanting to go back to the office and would rather quit.

im not surprised. It seems illogical to think everyone must physically be in an office building to do work they can do at home. Of course there is a benefit of social interactions but let people decide for themselves.
The labor marketplace at work.

My company is seeing quite a few people elect to go work for other companies that will allow them to be remote permanently.

I've been working remotely for 3 years and can't imagine having to go back into an office.
13 years in my field and can count on one hand the number of times I absolutely HAD to be in the office.

I have been remote since May of last year.

Benefits:
  • Better office
  • Better monitor, chair
  • Dress code
  • Commute
  • Better communication. Going to someone's office and writing out on paper vs talking on the phone and screen sharing. Sharing a screen is night and day better.
  • Can easily work nights/weekends if needed
Drawbacks
  • You miss the socializing in person
  • If the manager is bullish on working at the office, it could affect incetivies
  • Can become a fat hermit slob if you don't watch it.

It is crazy right now at my company because there is another contention of people who do like to work in the office environment who are miserable with nobody around and feel that some (not all) of the people at home are not working as hard/available. Also interesting to see different offices have really different numbers. Some have only 10% coming in...others are 60-70% occupied. I think we will see a hybrid approach going forward where departments have a minimum of two set in stone days of the week they have to be at office to promote teamwork/face to face time. So for example my Environmental Department would have Monday and Weds as days to be in office and the other 3 are optional. Such an approach, down the road, could probably reduce the office space needs.
^^^ beautiful WOB. And @Funky Bunch says I suck at them...

After some vpn logs were checked we had a few people that are no longer allowed to work from home. Doing nothing and not even showing up for phone meetings. I can see why some people love it.
That's management's fault for not tracking productivity and holding people accountable for getting their work done. I bet those people they nailed on the VPN search are the same people while at the office that hung out at the water cooler, etc. Productivity probably hasn't changed at all. Plus they must really be dumb to at least not log on to the VPN during work hours but I can understand that too. Why? Because over the last year I have noticed people on my team working crazy hours. Not on during the day but still getting everything done. For fun one night I logged on at 2AM just to see and there were several people working. Had one IM me because they noticed me logged on, had another email me at 4AM. They were still working, probably more hours than before, just not working conventional 9-5.

A positive might be more streamlining.

we do a lot of custom invoicing/pricing/shipping/reporting/web experience for customers that is way over the top and creates an almost unmanageable amount of overhead as the years go. In most cases we would have been better off to say “No”, this is what we can offer, take it or leave it. A lot of this overhead started with a conversation in an office and likely wouldn’t have started it there was no office.

Benefits:
  • Better office
  • Better monitor, chair
  • Dress code
  • Commute
  • Better communication. Going to someone's office and writing out on paper vs talking on the phone and screen sharing. Sharing a screen is night and day better.
Drawbacks
  • If the manager is bullish on working at the office, it could affect incetivies
Other benefits:
  • Can go to the driving range during lunch or afternoon and take calls from there if need be
  • Can swim in the pool during the day for exercise
  • Don't pay for restaurant food
Other drawbacks:
  • Barking dogs
  • Kids asking me to make them food

That's management's fault for not tracking productivity and holding people accountable for getting their work done. I bet those people they nailed on the VPN search are the same people while at the office that hung out at the water cooler, etc. Productivity probably hasn't changed at all. Plus they must really be dumb to at least not log on to the VPN during work hours but I can understand that too. Why? Because over the last year I have noticed people on my team working crazy hours. Not on during the day but still getting everything done. For fun one night I logged on at 2AM just to see and there were several people working. Had one IM me because they noticed me logged on, had another email me at 4AM. They were still working, probably more hours than before, just not working conventional 9-5.
Agreed. Nothing is cut and dry and nothing is absolute. Good and bad no matter what.

the biggest thing you lose with remote working is after 5 or 10 years there will be no company culture or friendships that you cultivate by working side by side. Often people go the extra mile for those they get along with personally.

It will also be interesting to see some organizations start making this change for $$ reasons. I know there were articles on a few that were downsizing those massive new headquarters to save money because they realized less people in office could save on physical overhead

Depends on line of work but can totally believe it. Work in IT. I'm not even looking and continually get messages from recruiters offering remote only opportunities. My office is opening back up in July but we were given the choice of returning, hybrid or full time remote. I took full time remote. Save the trip from NL to downtown CR, day would revolve around teams calls anyway with how scattered my team is. The coworkers I interacted with I still do with weekly happy hours. HR has embraced being able to cast a wider net for new employees particularly in IT. Majority of new hires in the past year are in other parts of the country.

Thats one point to consider: office space. You’d think companies would realize well hell why do we need to have these 10 story massive office buildings and pay for heat, electricity, phone, plumbing and internet when perhaps we can be just fine with half the employees here.

id bet if they gave everyone lets say a $50 allowance for internet and maybe a $300 credit for computer hardware they would save a ton of money if they got rid of the expansive campuses and huge buildings

It will also be interesting to see some organizations start making this change for $$ reasons. I know there were articles on a few that were downsizing those massive new headquarters to save money because they realized less people in office could save on physical overhead
The cloud benefited companies just starting or growing because they had no existing internal infrastructure to manage or transition from. This new wave of remote working will be the same. They never had a lot of commercial real estate rented or owned so no bug deal.

giant companies like John Deere, GM, Ford already have sunk billions into huge work campuses.

the biggest thing you lose with remote working is after 5 or 10 years there will be no company culture or friendships that you cultivate by working side by side. Often people go the extra mile for those they get along with personally.
This is the biggest change for me. I have been "institutionalized" to use a phrase from Shawshank Redemption. I've been going to an office for so many years I have come to depend on it. I actually needed it. The past year has changed that for me. Plus, now our office environment has completely changed. I'm back in the office 3-4 days a week but most times I'm the only one here, or it is a skeleton crew. I find myself in my office wondering why I am here, I could have done this from home.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
One con that wasn’t mentioned pertaining to WFH is the absence of the IT department physically being there and supporting you.

also I should clarify that I dont always work from home when i am not in the office. I use hoteling spaces, shared office and coworking spaces

Benefits:
  • Better office
  • Better monitor, chair
  • Dress code
  • Commute
Drawbacks
May be part of dress code, but pants are optional.
Office sex is also more readily available.

The company I work for which is 2 people strong is looking to buy a house as an office so we can get out of our houses but also keep the work from home element. I have been work from home from home for about 7 years minus onsite calls. I would appreciate the home/office separation.

I have to carry inventory and have a computer lab setup in my house which is a constant reminder of what I have to do tomorrow while I'm at home. Sometimes I can't help but to get ahead of things and just work 12 plus hours just because it is in my house.

CSB

I suspect that we have at least one employee, possibly two, that took on second jobs (as in getting paid by two employers for the same hours worked) that are going to have to quit in the next two weeks before our required return to the office day. We are allowing people to work from home two days a week going forward, but not these two people. Their productivity has dropped dramatically, they miss meetings regularly, and they are off-line for hours during the work day. They have played the pandemic for all that they could get away with. Many of us have been in the office the entire pandemic. I haven't seen these two once since early March 2020.

Read somewhere (sorry cant recall where I saw the link) that people are not wanting to go back to the office and would rather quit.

im not surprised. It seems illogical to think everyone must physically be in an office building to do work they can do at home. Of course there is a benefit of social interactions but let people decide for themselves.
My new position was created as a work from home job, so I'd definitely consider finding a different job if that ever changed. I go to my downtown office once per month--no real need for more than that.

It'll be interesting to see some of the effects of increased teleworking.

I know here in the Destin area house prices have exploded, rents have doubled, because we have a ton of folks coming down that are teleworking.

Companies can reduce infrastructure...office space...which will eliminate custodial jobs and folks that lease office space will lose revenue.

As folks that can telework (mostly middle class and up) move away from undesirable locations those communities are going to lose a lot of revenue.

I think we've just seen the tip of the ice burg on this...

I have a question for those of you working from home. Is your employer somehow tracking your working hours or are you on the honor system. I have a sister-in-law (no pics) who works for the government from home. It seems she’s always doing something during working hours not related to work. Please be honest unless your boss is watching.

I have a question for those of you working from home. Is your employer somehow tracking your working hours or are you on the honor system. I have a sister-in-law (no pics) who works for the government from home. It seems she’s always doing something during working hours not related to work. Please be honest unless your boss is watching.
In my case nope, not that I'm aware of anyway. Long as work gets done, boss is happy. I don't work for a micro manager douche though and there are some at my company. Watching when you become available on Teams, status changes to Away, offline etc but they'd be the same way even if we were all in the office. I know of one who would stand by the window taking note of what time his employees were walking into the building pre covid. If work isn't being delivered timely, it's noticeable. But that's why you estimate something will take 8 hours when in reality it's like 4 or less :)

I found out that our office manager (no pics) was keeping track of my hours. When I came in and when I left. The thing is I was an outside salesman on commission only. I think she was just jealous that I came and went as I wanted.

Is that what you are calling jacking off these days?

maybe.gif

Thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of unprofessional situations coming from wfh that while acceptable a year ago is not acceptable today.

Today alone I was in two high level meetings where speakers had to mute because of barking dogs and in an interview interrupted by an air conditioning service tech.

Get your poop in a group or get back in the office. These interruptions are no longer acceptable.

So we've been home since last February. Company has been very cautious. We're still "working on our plan" for opening back up.
I've been in the office a couple times a week to get equipment, etc since we've "closed" and usually don't see people. Tuesday I was in there and saw 3 others and it was weird.
What I heard from the office manager is that they're putting new hires back into shared offices with us. We currently have 5 empty offices in there, but apparently I'm going to get a new officemate. How effing stupid is that?
I will elect to work from home as much as they let me at this point.
I'm certain my boss will insist I'm in the office a lot more than I want to be. I'm pretty sure it was his idea to stuff people in occupied offices.

Whatever it is, it should be all or nothing. WFH is great when everyone is WFH and vice versa. This hybrid BS seems really pointless. People who don't live near the office get to stay remote and people who live near the office drive into to log into virtual meetings with people who don't live near the office.

Whatever it is, it should be all or nothing. WFH is great when everyone is WFH and vice versa. This hybrid BS seems really pointless. People who don't live near the office get to stay remote and people who live near the office drive into to log into virtual meetings with people who don't live near the office.

I'm interested in how hybrid will work out. We have that option and I know that a large number are choosing to just wfh. However, today everyone is in the same boat but as we transition and suddenly a number of people start returning to the office, the culture starts to change. Do the office dwellers end up getting promoted more because they are more visible? I suspect more will start going in even if they prefer to wfh.

My experience is people are actually working more and working harder from home.
I’m more efficient at home for sure. They also get more out of me. I’ll go into work mode when I’d otherwise leave for the office, generally just eat lunch while working (if I have lunch) and then if it’s not a day when the kids have sports or activities in the late afternoon/evening, I’ll work through what would have been my commute home. Plus, my laptop stays connected, so I may go back later to answer some emails.

If I was in the office, they’d have me for my 8-5 or whatever in the office and then unless there was something critical, I’d probably do a lot less outside that window.

Reactions: CJBauer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT