ADVERTISEMENT

Petras QB #1 at Utah State?

I think SP will do just fine against G5 competition. I don't think he'll suddenly "take off" and make any noise nationally, but assuming Utah State has competent offensive coaches (compared to Iowa, just about any program beyond the high school level does) he can finish his career with his head held high.

I think SP will do just fine against G5 competition. I don't think he'll suddenly "take off" and make any noise nationally, but assuming Utah State has competent offensive coaches (compared to Iowa, just about any program beyond the high school level does) he can finish his career with his head held high.
i agree...he needs a decent line and a few decent wr's and he will look much better. u could say that for current Iowa qb's now also.

Legas is officially in the portal.

Petras has apparently been looking good in camp and he put on a show at their spring game scrimmage. I suppose they could always bring in someone to compete with him, but it looks like the gig is his to lose now at Utah State.

Good for him. I honestly hope he puts on a show over there next season.

Will further illustrate just how bad the QB evaluation, and overall offense [IE, OL mess], was/is @ Iowa while the Ferentzes were/are in charge of it the past few seasons.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Petras got "dumped on" so much by fans ... just as much as was dumped on Brian.

It's oddly poetic that now folks are wishing him well ... now seeing him have success at Utah State.

I've always contended that players are capable of improving ... and Spencer always improved for us. However, Spencer was also caught in a tough situation too ... our WR situation was largely a hot-mess ... and when it wasn't, the pass-pro sucked-crap. On top of all that ... he had so much responsibility thrust upon him ... that he kinda wilted under the pressure. All that said ... he always represented and acquitted himself admirably.

Now that he's enjoying better health ... has little to lose ... and is in a system that puts a substantially smaller cognitive load on its QBs ... I think that there is plenty of reason to suppose that he'll have success in his final season.

Petras got "dumped on" so much by fans ... just as much as was dumped on Brian.

It's oddly poetic that now folks are wishing him well ... now seeing him have success at Utah State.

I've always contended that players are capable of improving ... and Spencer always improved for us. However, Spencer was also caught in a tough situation too ... our WR situation was largely a hot-mess ... and when it wasn't, the pass-pro sucked-crap. On top of all that ... he had so much responsibility thrust upon him ... that he kinda wilted under the pressure. All that said ... he always represented and acquitted himself admirably.

Now that he's enjoying better health ... has little to lose ... and is in a system that puts a substantially smaller cognitive load on its QBs ... I think that there is plenty of reason to suppose that he'll have success in his final season.
Our offensive staff couldn’t scheme anything for a quarterback, so we just kept trotting Spencer back out there.

Maybe he cleaned up his act and got serious about FB again.
Maybe. Maybe a lot of things. Maybe the stresses of playing for a proven incompetent offensive coordinator and QB coach, who is maybe an asshole to boot, was a factor in some poor personal choices he maybe made.

Anyways, good for him he appears to be making the most of his second chance.

I have had a theory for coaching success that I refer to as the John Blake theory. John Blake was the predecessor of Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. The theory is that a coach is most likely to be successful if his predecessor (1) could recruit, but (2) couldn't actually coach. Stoops was almost immediately successful because there was significant talent on the roster. In contrast, Kirk Ferentz was not immediately successful because there was not significant talent on the roster.

(The John Blake theory explains Scott Frost's success at UCF.)

At this point, Iowa fans should hope that Brian Ferentz was a John Blake type of coach. They should hope that he could recruit but couldn't coach. Petras and Labas having success would be a good thing. It would demonstrate that the talent was properly identified, just not properly developed.

The obvious archetype for the (1) can recruit, (2) can recruit category of coach would be Saban. I haven't worked out the other categories: (1) can't recruit, (2) can't coach; or (1) can't recruit/ (2) can coach. Maybe Darrell Hazel for can't recruit/can't coach; maybe Paul Rhodes for the can't recruit/can coach.

Replacing the last category is the hardest, because the cupboard is bare. The players just aren't talented enough despite being well coached.

The worst case scenario, for Iowa in 2024, is that Brian Ferentz actually fell into the last category. But I don't think, at least as an OC/QB coach, that he was a capable coach.

I have had a theory for coaching success that I refer to as the John Blake theory. John Blake was the predecessor of Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. The theory is that a coach is most likely to be successful if his predecessor (1) could recruit, but (2) couldn't actually coach. Stoops was almost immediately successful because there was significant talent on the roster. In contrast, Kirk Ferentz was not immediately successful because there was not significant talent on the roster.

At this point, Iowa fans should hope that Brian Ferentz was a John Blake type of coach. They should hope that he could recruit but couldn't coach. Petras and Labas having success would be a good thing. It would demonstrate that the talent was properly identified, just not properly developed.

The obvious archetype for the (1) can recruit, (2) can recruit category of coach would be Saban. I haven't worked out the other categories: (1) can't recruit, (2) can't coach; or (1) can't recruit/ (2) can coach. Maybe Darrell Hazel for can't recruit/can't coach; maybe Paul Rhodes for the can't recruit/can coach.

Replacing the last category is the hardest, because the cupboard is bare. The players just aren't talented enough despite being well coached.

The worst case scenario, for Iowa in 2024, is that Brian Ferentz actually fell into the last category. But I don't think, at least as an OC/QB coach, that he was a capable coach.
See George Raveling to Tom Davis.

1. You don't know what I'm thinking
2. There's a big difference between what I hope will happen and what I think will happen.
3. You seem pretty sure, how do you see it ending?
Quite simply. It's ending with Ferentz either finishing his contract or retiring before the end of it, basically on HIS terms. As far as people thinking he'll be shown the door is nothing but wishful thinking, which is what I believe YOU are thinking.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Quite simply. It's ending with Ferentz either finishing his contract or retiring before the end of it, basically on HIS terms. As far as people thinking he'll be shown the door is nothing but wishful thinking, which is what I believe YOU are thinking.
No, He won't be shown the door...certainly not publicly. He'll retire when he's ready. But almost nobody "finishes" their contract completely, otherwise you're looking at 3 years of lame duck which kills recruiting.

I hope the program will finish strong under him. Seeing the offensive trend of the last few years, I think the program is going to fade. People are already snickering and getting offensive talent is only getting harder. Unless we field at least an average offense it's going to continue which is where the "this won't end well" thought comes in.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukaDuka
Legas is officially in the portal.

Petras has apparently been looking good in camp and he put on a show at their spring game scrimmage. I suppose they could always bring in someone to compete with him, but it looks like the gig is his to lose now at Utah State.

Interesting!

With his lack of pocket awareness at times, that would be a huge miracle.
A little better blocking, a little better QB coaching...who knows? He did alright in high school. Something changed once he arrived in QB purgatory. Some coaches put their players in situations that best suit their talents. Others will work like hell to fit a square peg into the round hole.

Last edited:
I hope Petras and Labas do well, but looking at their stats at their new teams will mean very little as they are playing at group of 5 schools. In 2021 Iowa faced 4 top ten scoring defenses and 6 top 26 defenses and in 2022 they faced 3 top ten and 7 top 25 defenses or over half of their schedule was a top 25 scoring defense.

Michigan the best scoring defense last year played 2 top 25 offenses in Washington and Alabama last year and both were two TDs below their season average against Michigan. Penix QB rating for the year 161.4 against Michigan 93.6, Milroe rating for the year 177.5 and against Michigan 111.9.

In 2023 the Big 10 had the 4 best scoring defenses in the nation with Iowa being #4. Excellent defenses impact QBs and the Big 10 has excellent defenses.

I hope Petras and Labas do well, but looking at their stats at their new teams will mean very little as they are playing at group of 5 schools. In 2021 Iowa faced 4 top ten scoring defenses and 6 top 26 defenses and in 2022 they faced 3 top ten and 7 top 25 defenses or over half of their schedule was a top 25 scoring defense.

Michigan the best scoring defense last year played 2 top 25 offenses in Washington and Alabama last year and both were two TDs below their season average against Michigan. Penix QB rating for the year 161.4 against Michigan 93.6, Milroe rating for the year 177.5 and against Michigan 111.9.

In 2023 the Big 10 had the 4 best scoring defenses in the nation with Iowa being #4. Excellent defenses impact QBs and the Big 10 has excellent defenses.
It is true that the B1G is arguably the toughest defensive conference in the country. But a number of Iowa QBs have suddenly looked competent after leaving the program. It's more than just more forgiving defenses.

Maybe they have a bad team????
Iowa had the worst offense for the last three years……they were bad, horrible, embarrassing. You could not find a collective worse than the starting 11 for Iowa.

If he’s going to be the starter with only a limited amount of practice time it again shows how much BS there is within the Kirk scheme of offense.

Reactions: peacehawk

KOK recruited Petras. Not sure if he also got Joey. But for sure KOK brought in Spencer.

Is there a site that lists recruits and their primary recruiter ? Cause i don’t recall many recruits being associated with Brian. Both as the OL / RB coordinated and OC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT