ADVERTISEMENT

Pheasant hunting dog advice please

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
I'm wanting to get a hunting dog. My wife wants a small dog that won't shed.

I want a good pheasant dog that won't bark a lot.

We all want a dog that doesn't need hours of running every day and will be mellow in the home.

I'm looking at cocker spaniels because they appear to be the smallest hunting dog and has a mellow disposition. This will be the first dog I've ever owned.

Anyone have any different idea than the cocker spaniel that might be a better fit? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: CatchPhotoRelease
Get a Brittany. Best dog ever.
I was looking at the Brittany but it needs tons of exercise. Might be hard for us to get her enough running time in the off-season. Its still an option though. Do Brittany's shed a lot? That seems to be my wife's biggest concern.

Vizsla, great bird dogs, super smart and easy to train. Very fine red hair that sheds some but doesn't show on much. They don't stink at all. We only bath ours after she gets muddy which is normally a stop at the hose.

They are very affectionate and mellow at home but do require an hour of exercise per day or they get a little angsty mostly because they need mental stimulation so lots of toys helps as well if you can't take them out. They also like to chew, so having a lot of chew toys will save some chewed up shoes, etc. I usually run with her 4 to 5 times a week and take her to large dog park and let her chase other dogs otherwise.

They don't grow that large. My female is around 40lbs, and 23 inches tall. This is nice because they don't take up room in house or car.

Last edited:
IMG_4703-1024x576.jpeg

I think a great dog is the English Cocker Spaniel. They are very similar to the American Cocker but have less health issues, as they are not as widely bred and they are still great pets and hunting dogs. I have had a couple and they don't shed much. I just got a new puppy a month ago. Great dogs.

I was looking at the Brittany but it needs tons of exercise. Might be hard for us to get her enough running time in the off-season. Its still an option though. Do Brittany's shed a lot? That seems to boe my wife's biggest concern.
They don't shed as much as some dogs. You don't really have to groom them. They don't need any more exercise than any other dog. Some good training and a walk. They are smart so you need to keep them busy. Great family pets and outstanding hunting bird dogs.

I was looking at the Brittany but it needs tons of exercise. Might be hard for us to get her enough running time in the off-season. Its still an option though. Do Brittany's shed a lot? That seems to be my wife's biggest concern.
Yes, mine is a shedding machine. Having said that, my wife hates dogs, but loves my Britt. Belle has only barked one time in 8 years. She’s the most loving animal you could ever want, and was calm from 12 weeks on. I had her so well trained that if she dropped her raw hide and it fell off her dog bed, she would look at me for permission to get off her bed to grab it.

Vizsla, great bird dogs, super smart and easy to train. Very fine red hair that sheds some but doesn't show on much. They don't stink at all. We only bath ours after she gets muddy which is normally a stop at the hose.

They are very affectionate and mellow at home but do require an hour of exercise per day or they get a little angsty mostly because they need mental stimulation so lots of toys helps as well if you can't take them out. They also like to chew, so having a lot of chew toys will save some chewed up shoes, etc. I usually run with her 4 to 5 times a week and take her to large dog park and let her chase other dogs otherwise.

They don't grow that large. My female is around 40lbs, and 23 inches tall. This is nice because they don't take up room in house or car.
I want to try one of these eventually. Since I quit breeding britts, maybe I’ll buy one

What do you prefer pointers or flusher a flushing dog i would look at a springer spaniel out of hunting stock.

I've hunted pheasant over a few different breeds. (Waterfowl is a another thread.)

Brittany's, and English Setters. Good for runners and getting them to sit tight. The point will send chills of adrenalin thru you. Both were house pets that also hunted. Excellent natural instincts and hunted decent for the little training they received.
Between the 2 my ES was a special girl. Some shedding but it was just part of a weekly grooming to keep her fresh and pretty. She enjoyed the bonding and was like a queen at a beauty parlor at grooming time. The Brittany's coat is similar being smaller in stature she didn't bust the thickets as readily. I will get another ES. Neither retrieved, but the rare wounded runner would sit tight from them being right on them after the shot. With work as a pup I'm sure they could have been trained to retreive. House pets that naturally hunted well. Good linage, just worked a lot those years to train properly.

My buddy owns Wire Haired Griffins. For a pure Pheasant dog they are an excellent choice. Solid points, bust the brush. Smart they will get a runner to sit tight. Coat is unique, very wirey thick hair. Solid point, natural bred instict in most linages. He runs a shooting preserve and is on his 3rd generation. Excellent retriever as well. Had Brittany's before. Not a shedder but athletic and energetic. His next litter I will be getting one. He hunts daily from Sept to Jan. Put and take preserve. Excellent Bird dogs!

I have a Boston terrior, pit, pug rescue now. (Mom purebred small stature pit, great demeanor, Dad was a funny looking mutt, Pug Boston terror mix) So he's a Mutt rescue. Loyal and loving, no shedding. Pure flushing instincts and excellent retriever. Not a pointer but you know when he's close. Will plow thru any brush to get a flush. (Rabbit or pheassnt) Not your typical bird dog but this guy is a hunting machine. Excellent with kids, a big baby at home. In the field he is natural born hunter.

I kill animals with a firearm, then I eat them. For fun! Had to include the disclaimer.

Good luck finding your next family member!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Another vote for Visla or Brittany, they make great family dogs and are great hunters. I don’t have a dog personally but I’ve always heard great things. Also I’m not sure the exercise requirement is as extreme as your making it out to be. Obviously any dog needs some exercise but from the people I know that have these dogs I don’t hear anyone commenting about what a burden these dogs are from an exercise perspective.

I’m not sure if cocker spaniels are great hunting dogs - maybe they are but I never see them whereas I see tons of other breeds out in the field so there must be a reason everyone else prefers other breeds. By far the most common breeds I see in the field are labs and GSPs. That’s just an anecdotal observation so take it for what it’s worth.

Reactions: ericram
I've hunted pheasant over a few different breeds. (Waterfowl is a another thread.)

Brittany's, and English Setters. Good for runners and getting them to sit tight. The point will send chills of adrenalin thru you. Both were house pets that also hunted. Excellent natural instincts and hunted decent for the little training they received.
Between the 2 my ES was a special girl. Some shedding but it was just part of a weekly grooming to keep her fresh and pretty. She enjoyed the bonding and was like a queen at a beauty parlor at grooming time. The Brittany's coat is similar being smaller in stature she didn't bust the thickets as readily. I will get another ES. Neither retrieved, but the rare wounded runner would sit tight from them being right on them after the shot. With work as a pup I'm sure they could have been trained to retreive. House pets that naturally hunted well. Good linage, just worked a lot those years to train properly.

My buddy owns Wire Haired Griffins. For a pure Pheasant dog they are an excellent choice. Solid points, bust the brush. Smart they will get a runner to sit tight. Coat is unique, very wirey thick hair. Solid point, natural bred instict in most linages. He runs a shooting preserve and is on his 3rd generation. Excellent retriever as well. Had Brittany's before. Not a shedder but athletic and energetic. His next litter I will be getting one. He hunts daily from Sept to Jan. Put and take preserve. Excellent Bird dogs!

I have a Boston terrior, pit, pug rescue now. (Mom purebred small stature pit, great demeanor, Dad was a funny looking mutt, Pug Boston terror mix) So he's a Mutt rescue. Loyal and loving, no shedding. Pure flushing instincts and excellent retriever. Not a pointer but you know when he's close. Will plow thru any brush to get a flush. (Rabbit or pheassnt) Not your typical bird dog but this guy is a hunting machine. Excellent with kids, a big baby at home. In the field he is natural born hunter.

I kill animals with a firearm, then I eat them. For fun! Had to include the disclaimer.

Good luck finding your next family member!

I have always had English Setters, great family dog and hunter. They do shed though. I really haven’t had one that barks.

Last edited:
Get an Irish Setter: Although this handsome breed can be used as an all around hunting dog, it is especially adept at hunting game birds. With its super speed and superior sense of smell, the Irish Setter is skilled at tracking, hunting, retrieving and pointing.

Great family dog, and no real undercoat so while there will be shedding it won't be near as much as you might think. Oh and they are a gorgeous dog. Draw back is they do have some energy to them and will need some walks but they won't be near as needy as a Visla (that breed seems as if they run on Red Bull and Monster energy drinks).

131d9110a5b8847dd36d07095b74cb4a.jpg

small munsterlander

Look 'em up, I believe they have a good temperament, not sure on the shedding.

I have a German Wirehair, while young, she's a spit fire, and requires a LOT of walking/hunting to tire her out. But then again, I knew what I was getting into with this breed of dog. She isn't the best retriever yet, but she has already held a few points for me at 5 months old.

I kind of wanted a Setter since I don't know anyone that has one, but the Ugly Dog's steal my heart.

I think a great dog is the English Cocker Spaniel. They are very similar to the American Cocker but have less health issues, as they are not as widely bred and they are still great pets and hunting dogs. I have had a couple and they don't shed much. I just got a new puppy a month ago. Great dogs.
Now, the English cocker spaniel was the first dog I looked at but I didn't see many available.

I would bet no to that one. You need a dog who is a bread bird dog.

It is easier with a dog that is a bred bird dog, but it can be done.

A strong lined birdy lab mixed with a poodle with a fetching instinct and decent trainability would get you there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Absolutely do not purchase a German unless you live on a farm and can deal with their absolute craziness.

This from a former German owner.
I have one. He’s a house dog, and yes, he’s a bit crazy, but so so sweet and has a good temperament around people.

I'm wanting to get a hunting dog. My wife wants a small dog that won't shed.

I want a good pheasant dog that won't bark a lot.

We all want a dog that doesn't need hours of running every day and will be mellow in the home.

I'm looking at cocker spaniels because they appear to be the smallest hunting dog and has a mellow disposition. This will be the first dog I've ever owned.

Anyone have any different idea than the cocker spaniel that might be a better fit? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Teach your wife (pics?) to retrieve the pheasants... problem solved.

Reactions: unIowa and stout1
Katie, Dixie, and now Dexter. Three fantastic German Shorthairs. All 3 have been great house dogs, companions, and hunters.

My buddy I hunt with has a small munstalander thee very best dog I have hunted behind in 40 years! He is a machine he hunts from the second his feet hit the ground ! Also a tracking machine! That’s my 2 cents

My buddy I hunt with has a small munstalander thee very best dog I have hunted behind in 40 years! He is a machine he hunts from the second his feet hit the ground ! Also a tracking machine! That’s my 2 cents
My granddad had a black lab that was the best dog I had ever seen. She could tell a male from a female pheasant. She could have won a few shows if he had ever wanted her to.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Get an Irish Setter: Although this handsome breed can be used as an all around hunting dog, it is especially adept at hunting game birds. With its super speed and superior sense of smell, the Irish Setter is skilled at tracking, hunting, retrieving and pointing.

Great family dog, and no real undercoat so while there will be shedding it won't be near as much as you might think. Oh and they are a gorgeous dog. Draw back is they do have some energy to them and will need some walks but they won't be near as needy as a Visla (that breed seems as if they run on Red Bull and Monster energy drinks).

131d9110a5b8847dd36d07095b74cb4a.jpg
That’s a beautiful dog

Negative, unless you waterfowl too.
For pheasants I agree I think most people prefer a pointing breed to a flushing breed, at least I know I do. A lab that is not well-trained is almost worse than no dog as it will scare up all the birds well out of range. Obviously plenty of labs are great bird dogs but if we are talking which breed is best for pheasants I would want something that points and retrieves like some of the breeds mentioned above.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
german shorts are like living with a meth addict.
I think they are beautiful dogs and would love to have them but I’ve heard they are really high energy from one too many people. I’ve heard vizslas and brittanys are as good of hunters and a notch lower in terms of hyperness. And labs are one of the most common house pets and most people don’t even hunt with them so they obviously have a good disposition generally or people would quit buying them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT