ADVERTISEMENT

Pizza chains -- choose your top 3

Choose your 3 favorite pizza chains

• Total voters
Is that national now? I know that it spread from Asheville to Charlotte.

Looking at the map of their locations, they are more a regional chain. They are all over the southeast, with a handful in Texas and the stretch from Ohio to Nebraska. Nothing at all in the northeast & a only a couple out west

I've only had it a couple times, but Marco's has seemed to be a cut above all these others listed each time. Very good crust, lot of toppings, no skimping on the cheese.

Marco's can be the best chain pizza out there, but their quality varies from store to store (in the Atlanta area at least) more than any other chain I've ever seen. And they employ the dumbest people imaginable. If you've got a good Marco's location, I think it's the best chain pizza there is. However, you're just as likely to have a bad one. When people say Marco's is horrible, I get it, because I've had some disastrous pizzas there. It's the only place that I've ever had the manager desparately call me after getting the pizza home to tell me not to eat it because he discovered the employees made the dough completely wrong and it could make me sick.

But when it's good, its just shy of really good.

So when I do a chain, I do Jet's, primarily the Detroit style thick crust. It's about 90% as good as Marco's best, without the variability.

I don't/won't eat from any other national chain of pizza ever.

Jet's. Love the corner pieces on this style.
Website_8-Corner.jpg

Reactions: dgordo and Nole Lou
This poll highlights that there is lot of crappy pizza out there and the good stuff is in short supply. Hopefully one of the chains reverses field and goes back to better quality at a little higher price v. a race to the bottom with cheaper ingredients and lower prices.

They had one of these in Tallahassee when I was there in the early 1990s. It was, by some margin, the worst pizza I ever had. Just wretched, and I can still remember exactly what it was like.

I had it more than a few times too...it was like two 16" pizzas for $8 or something. There was zero good pizza in Tallahassee in those days, nothing I would consider remotely edible today. But it was dirt cheap so we ate different versions a lot. Probably the best of the terrible pizza was Hungry Howies.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you ordered a Godfather's pizza to order, that was probably the least horrible pizza, but it was "expensive" by the broke college standards of the day. We mostly ate the $2.99 pizza buffet, which was horrible. They put a totally different "pizza" on the buffet than what they made to order, but nobody was spending $12 on a 14" pizza in those days.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Hot damn.

That picture is EXACTLY how I like my pizza to look.

Those corners and edges look so good.

It is good. But here's a tip...instead of choosing pepperoni, choose "bold pepperoni", which is the cup and char style pepperoni. At least 50% better, and the reason I still do Jet's from time to time even with decent independent options around...

Untitled.jpg

Of the original choices, I've never had Caseys, Papa Murphy, Old Chicago, or Pizza Ranch - so cannot comment on them.
Of those I've had, they are all terrible other than California Pizza Kitchen. It may well be terrible, too; I've only had it a few times as a late-night booze sponge in Vegas.
Marcos is usually ok, but their meatball sub is better than their pizza.

Choose your top 3.
I went with Godfathers, which we don't have in the Iowa QC anymore so I haven't had it for awhile, Pizza Hut, and Casey's. Though Marcos is my favorite chain pizza by a long ways. If we want cheap pizza we generally get it from there because it doesn't come across as cheap ingredient pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT