ADVERTISEMENT

Players met w/ Media. Iowa Offense will be Version of Kyle Shanahan's Offense w/ Lots of Motion & RPOs. "There's a lot more confusion" for the Defense

The players need a chance to perform, and that's what an effective scheme can do.

I been amazed (bewildered actually) at how many times an Iowa running back is tackled by 6 or 7 guys, most of them just waiting for the RB to arrive. Bad blocking? Yeah, but how many guys can the OL effectively block?

The WR's are smothered downfield. Bad WR's? Maybe, but when the defense knows what you are going to do it's pretty hard to get open.

We'll have to wait and see, It might be the same results, but at the very least it's not going to be the offense.
I also hope our WRs cannot drop balls.

To put it simply, and I’ve had this conversation several times.

There is just no way all of our offensive players are that bad.

Agreed. If nothing else, it defies logic that we could regularly hit on recruits for defense and special teams but not for offense.

Most of our recruits the last few years have had solid offer lists, recruiting rankings etc. you can expect to miss on some, but as many as it would have to be for the talent level to be that low?

what worries me is Cade won't be fully cleared until June (if all goes right)

Is Deacon really QB1 going into the April 20 spring game?

The QB position is so important and we all know about Deacon's "talent."

Reactions: dadster and littlez
what worries me is Cade won't be fully cleared until June (if all goes right)

Is Deacon really QB1 going into the April 20 spring game?

The QB position is so important and we all know about Deacon's "talent."

No idea what the framework is going to be for the spring game/practice. At worst I’d hope reps were 50/50.

Haven’t had a ton of reporting on the position battle there beyond snippets with little context, so who knows.

Reactions: Franisdaman
can you imagine this group pulling up?

GKxT-ayW8AAb57c

Some improvement yes. How much depends on how good the scheme is, and how good the talent we have on offense.

If nothing else, it'll say alot about how much of the broken offense was due to talent, and how much was the scheme.
I think @sober_teacher hit it right here. Obviously having the worst QB in all of D1 football last year certainly didn't help. I'm willing to give it a chance because I obviously have no choice! Let's see what happens w/a healthy McNamara, another year of D1 football at WR for Brown, who we know has potential, but can he catch? Solid at RB, and of course huge questions at the o line. Scheme or talent or both? We should certainly find out this year a little more. Talent level and depth at wide receiver is still really really low. Still pretty skeptical. Hard not to be.

Reactions: sober_teacher
to be an effective RPO team you need a quarterback that is a threat to run

The players need a chance to perform, and that's what an effective scheme can do.

I been amazed (bewildered actually) at how many times an Iowa running back is tackled by 6 or 7 guys, most of them just waiting for the RB to arrive. Bad blocking? Yeah, but how many guys can the OL effectively block?

The WR's are smothered downfield. Bad WR's? Maybe, but when the defense knows what you are going to do it's pretty hard to get open.

We'll have to wait and see, It might be the same results, but at the very least it's not going to be the same offense.
I'd have to think receiver routes that don't end up with 3 of them within 5 yards of each other would be a good start.

Scheme and I suspect playcalling will both be better. I worry a little about presnap penalties, turnovers, or missed assignments for the first year of implementation. But ideally they get all that ironed out quickly!

Honest to god, if Lester just threatens deep more than the one time per game (at most) that BF did I believe all aspects of the run game and short passing game will come easier.

Btw - if RPO is a serious aspect of Lester’s offense, I think that bodes extremely well for Lainez eventually or possibly even shortly jumping ahead of Hill. Maybe even some scripted series when Cade is QB1. At least I hope!

Reactions: hawkandroll
I also think Brian just didn't have the experience needed to be able to conceive potential changes. All he had was a couple of years as TE coach with the Patriots, then the time he had under Greg Davis. I think he's probably a smart guy, and the hope was that he could rise to the challenge, but he just didn't have the breadth of experience to be able to do so.

Contrast that to Tim Lester, who came with a notebook full of hundreds of pages of offensive plays, experience running offenses at multiple schools, and a sabbatical with the Packers. The contrast in experience is staggering.
Agree to a point, but he was here for, what, 7 years as the OC? He just could not adjust during a game. Maybe he was held back. We’ll never know. But in the end it’s about results, and he didn’t produce.

Last edited:
I half expect this to be misinformation warfare. And opposing teams will be waiting for the first 2-3 weeks for us to bust out the motion and RPO before they get wise and realize it’s the exact same offense as the last 25 years.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
If we just had a coordinator that would mix up tendencies the past three seasons and have an average sense for how to call a game, odds are we would have a big ten title in Iowa City.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
I feel like this has been gone over a thousand times. A QB running threat is nice to have in any offense. But for the RPO, the "option" is handing off to the RB or passing.

what makes me nervous is the QB pulling the ball back and fumbling it; and I know KF was a bit worried about this as well

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I half expect this to be misinformation warfare. And opposing teams will be waiting for the first 2-3 weeks for us to bust out the motion and RPO before they get wise and realize it’s the exact same offense as the last 25 years.
This is where I’m at.

We may see some of this motion stuff for a few plays during OOC games, or a handful of plays against Big10 teams

But Kirk will no doubt shut it all down if he’s not comfortable. As much as people moan he doesn’t want to win, he absolutely does….but only within his comfort zone.

I still think it’s asking a lot to learn a new scheme with little talent to all of a sudden have a huge turnaround.

Iowa wins this year with defense again and the hope is maybe by mid October the offense starts to click a little.

It can’t really get worse, but it can be just as bad

3 things are possible here

1. Lester's offense will be a breath of fresh air and does well. He helps with production and recruiting. It makes Kirk look like he hit a home run.

2. Lester's offense will be a breath of fresh air whether it works or not but Kirk possibly dumbs it back to an ultra conservative look where we all get bored and pissed again.

3. Lester's offense is a breath of fresh air and after 2-3 years of us fans wanting to anoint him the next Messiah he bolts for a HC gig or better OC job

Risk aversion is a huge reason why the Iowa offense has become the joke that it is.

If the question is, KF is concerned about turning it over, the answer should be do it, 100 times out of 100.
At some point they’ve veered from a conservative offensive scheme into one that was risk-averse, to the point of contributing to crippling the offense.

So the interviews were with a bunch of defensive guys? What did or does the offense side have to say?

Iowa still has the same players on the offensive side of the ball that they did last year. You expect improvement because of scheme?
offensive players met with the media today

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT