ADVERTISEMENT

Players met w/ Media. Iowa Offense will be Version of Kyle Shanahan's Offense w/ Lots of Motion & RPOs. "There's a lot more confusion" for the Defense

how many coaches and players over the last several years admitted that they knew what was coming?
There was a time I always felt to some extent that was exaggerated - if nothing else, with how much time and effort goes into scouting I think most defenses with quality coaches go into games with a pretty good idea what the opposing offenses will do given formations and sub packages.

Last 2-3 years I couldn’t defend it anymore, it was undeniable.

Reactions: Franisdaman
There was a time I always felt to some extent that was exaggerated - if nothing else, with how much time and effort goes into scouting I think most defenses with quality coaches go into games with a pretty good idea what the opposing offenses will do given formations and sub packages.

Last 2-3 years I couldn’t defend it anymore, it was undeniable.

sounds like Lester is a breath of fresh air

also, it's been reported that KF is working with the OL and letting Tim do his thing

all we need is an AVERAGE offense ;)

Not trying to pile on Brian, but did we ever read articles like this about him being so involved with every group ?

To me it felt like the stories on Brian focused more on the attitude or scheme he was trying to implement.

Not trying to pile on Brian, but did we ever read articles like this about him being so involved with every group ?

To me it felt like the stories on Brian focused more on the attitude or scheme he was trying to implement.
I'd honestly like to eventually see a sit-down interview/postmortem with BF and see where he thinks he went wrong.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
outside of two games, OSU and USC, nothing ever worked. And those two games showed a much different scheme than basically every other game under Brian.

Albeit the defense did help out A LOT that game. And the special teams against USC

But you go from beating down OSU to the very next week gaining 66 yards against WI

Did KOK call the game against OSU/USC? Cause i don’t understand. Yet we saw way more of the WI type output. So what was the difference in those two games ?

outside of two games, OSU and USC, nothing ever worked. And those two games showed a much different scheme than basically every other game under Brian.

Albeit the defense did help out A LOT that game. And the special teams against USC

But you go from beating down OSU to the very next week gaining 66 yards against WI

Did KOK call the game against OSU/USC? Cause i don’t understand. Yet we saw way more of the WI type output. So what was the difference in those two games ?
I'd throw @ ISU game in 2017 also. Became a shootout with an epic OT walk off Nate Stanley to ISM touchdown in OT. A good old fashioned ISU nut punch in their house.

MAC maybe
MAC team would also have had a head coach that would have been under enormous pressure to fire him after 2021 season, after the Iowa State game in 2022, after the Illinois game in 2022, Nebraska game in 2022, at the end of the 2022 season, after the Minnesota game in 2023. Brian maximized his offensive coordinator longevity by being under the right boss.

I'd throw @ ISU game in 2017 also. Became a shootout with an epic OT walk off Nate Stanley to ISM touchdown in OT. A good old fashioned ISU nut punch in their house.
I watched the highlights as i had forgotten about this game.

Iowa threw the ball past the goal line more in this game than they have over the last 3-4 years combined.

Crazy amount of talent on offense too.

Wadley
ISM
B Smith
Hock
Fant
Easley
Vandeburg

Are the current coaches just horrible at recruiting? And once KOK left it’s like Brian just shut everything down

Iowa threw the ball past the goal line more in this game than they have over the last 3-4 years combined.

Wadley
ISM
B Smith
Hock
Fant
Easley
Vandeburg

Are the current coaches just horrible at recruiting? And once KOK left it’s like Brian just shut everything down
I’ve said before, it’s hard to believe they’ve missed in that many consecutive recruiting classes on offense, but still hitting in other parts of the team.

It really seems to me like once things started to go sideways, they increasingly decided the problem was executed, so they decided to simplify things so p,Ayer’s could focus on that instead. This then contributed to a vicious cycle where the offense got more predictable, which then required ever more perfect execution, and so on.

Reactions: littlez

Wadley
ISM
B Smith
Hock
Fant
Easley
Vandeburg

We didn't realize how good we had it w/that lineup. Speed in the backfield and could catch it, a speedster receiver and a big strong possession receiver and 2 NFL tight ends along w/a couple of other capable receivers. And a big strong QB. Seems like 100 years ago.

Reactions: desihawk
We didn't realize how good we had it w/that lineup. Speed in the backfield and could catch it, a speedster receiver and a big strong possession receiver and 2 NFL tight ends along w/a couple of other capable receivers. And a big strong QB. Seems like 100 years ago.
Wadley won us that game. I know Stanley had the insane TD numbers but even outside the Wadley catch and run, the dude bailed Iowa out so many times with his skill of making people miss.

There were games that Stanley couldn’t hit his WR and Wadley was all of our offense.

We don’t have anyone even close to that playmaking ability on the team now. Johnson at RB has that breakaway speed but he needs to get the ball more, not two carries and then sit for 2 Quarters

Wadley won us that game. I know Stanley had the insane TD numbers but even outside the Wadley catch and run, the dude bailed Iowa out so many times with his skill of making people miss.

There were games that Stanley couldn’t hit his WR and Wadley was all of our offense.

We don’t have anyone even close to that playmaking ability on the team now. Johnson at RB has that breakaway speed but he needs to get the ball more, not two carries and then sit for 2 Quarters
yeah he played a huge role in nearly every big win during his tenure...off the top of my head 2016 mi, 2017 isu, 2017 osu. he could've enjoyed appreciation from iowa fans for rest of his life but he decided to be an ass

Reactions: sober_teacher

"SCHEME"? Did you say SCHEME?

Concerned about another season of (justified) Offensive wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I’m sure there will be people complaining if Iowa doesn’t hit the ground running in September and immediately looks awesome.

The offensive problems are many. They’re not being fixed in 3 months.

Reactions: hawkeyemark18
Right. Which is why it amazes me that some peoples expectations are playoffs this year.

We have to improve a TON on offense to give any chance at beating teams with a pulse.

I think it’s unreasonable to put so much pressure on the defense to continue to play flawless football. All it takes is an off day against a mid to bottom dweller and it’s a loss if the offense can’t help

Right. Which is why it amazes me that some peoples expectations are playoffs this year.

We have to improve a TON on offense to give any chance at beating teams with a pulse.

I think it’s unreasonable to put so much pressure on the defense to continue to play flawless football. All it takes is an off day against a mid to bottom dweller and it’s a loss if the offense can’t help
Who actually thinks we're a playoff team ?

Who actually thinks we're a playoff team ?
I AM NOT EXPECTING THE PLAYOFFS, but they have better than a puncher’s chance. It expands this year.

If the offense is as bad as it has been, they do not have much of a chance.

Reactions: PNWHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT