ADVERTISEMENT

Positives from the tournament

LaxHawk174

HR All-American
Jan 15, 2014
Gilman looked really great, apart from his momentary lapse in OT that cost him. Tough to see him lose and take 3rd, but it is essentially meaningless, as the NCAA Semifinals and finals at this weight are going to be tough no matter what.

Clark is rounding into his NCAA finalist form, finding a way to win tough matches, getting his offense going, scrambling like a mad man and winning the scrambles. Hustling in every position, never gets ridden, is a nightmare to finish a takedown on, getting in on his leg attacks. I wonder how they'll seed 133, Garrett undefeated, Brewer 2 losses to Garret/Brock, Richards and Clark splitting matches with 1 loss a piece.

Sorensen about what most expected, but I thought he would be able to get on the board and make it a close match. Hes gonna have to find a way to get his offense going against retherford. The good news is he is better than everybody else not named Retherford in this weight class, and hes looking like a lock to the finals.

Cooper has impressed me how tough hes gotten. May get a top 12 seed at NCAAs, with 2 wins to 1 vs Lewis of Rutgers, among other wins at 157 this year. He is right there with Murphy from Michigan who is an all american at this weight, he is a real threat to get on the bottom of the podium, I would not be surprised at all to see Coop in a R12 match come NCAAs.

Meyer maybe hurt his seed a bit losing to Brunson and Jackson, I'm worried about the NCAA tournament, but hope he can put together a great run.

Brooks has restored my faith in him as an AA! Hes looking great, like a totally different person than 2 weeks ago at NC State dual. I cant wait to see how 184 is seeded, this is a loaded bracket, but I like Sammys chances to go deep it in again.

Burak had a great tournament and expect a top 4 seed for him. He'll have his shot to punch through into the NCAA finals, but he'll have to find out a way to get some offense going against McIntosh or Cox.

Stoll, I still think he gets a top 10 seed due to his body of work, but we will have to see I guess, he showed some fight in him this weekend, but looked limited in a few positions.

Gilman/Clark/Sorensen/Brooks/Burak all look like they are peaking just fine. Gilman has a buzzsaw of a weightclass. Sorensen has a buzzsaw to beat in Retherford. Burak has McIntosh/Cox ahead of him he'll have to find a way. Clark and Brooks both have studs at the top they'll have to beat. Its going to be one hell of an NCAA tournament.

Edit: Heck I should say Cooper looks like hes peaking too. Not too sure what to think about Meyer, I'm worried, and hoping for some favorable matchups at NCAAs for him.

Last edited:
Thanks for always being the half full guy. I agree that in the end we helped seeds more than we hurt. We finished ahead of tOSU and according to intermat that was an upset. Cooper and Brooks were the big movers this weekend.

Thanks for always being the half full guy. I agree that in the end we helped seeds more than we hurt. We finished ahead of tOSU and according to intermat that was an upset. Cooper and Brooks were the big movers this weekend.
I hate being 2nd to Penn State just as much as everyone else here, but we've still gotta support the horses we've got in the stable through the NCAA tournament. Crazier things have happened, and we saw that PSU might not have as many finalists/ NCAA champs as they thought.

Reactions: Knight563
I have to say Coop is a bright spot, I am not sure he is AA material, but he will get some points. Being as he is an Illinois boy and he and Klimara were on the same high school team, I am going to say they both place though. It makes me feel better.

Sammy looked good and healthy. Burak looks to have his highest finish ever. A top 3 is very possible for him.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT