ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Breakout player

I'm gonna go with Connor McCaffery... I think having him on the court is going to make everyone better.

I hope so. Especially on the defensive end. Offensively we don't need that much help.

On offense, Iowa was ranked fairly high in efficiency. TOs were an issue, but not a PG issue. That would be from those down low. JBo was nearly 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

If Connor turns out to be our breakout player, other than filling in for an injured Bohannon, then that would be a huge thing for ALL the McCafferys... And the team.

Unless of course, no one on the rest of the team steps up. In that case, we are all doomed... But I do not see that happening

I would love to see Connor be the guy. Our PG recruiting would disappear until 2022. But if CMac is all that and a bag of chips, it won't matter!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I'm gonna go with Connor McCaffery... I think having him on the court is going to make everyone better.
Would not doubt it.Hope he hit 3's... Jbo then will have big space in front of him.Shoot 3 at 25ft or pass to Cook or Garza. Lots on Connor. Think he'll handle it well.Sounds like team.But hard hard 'D' pleese.

Isiah needs to decide if he thinks he has the game or not. I think it is that simple. If he confidently steps onto the court and 100% believes he's one of the best players in that game, he could probably be one of them. So far we haven't seen it.
This in a nutshell. The young man obviously has game, he just can't seem to convince himself.......

Good OP. I agree. Ike Moss was inconsistent but his upside looked great. Like most of the team last year he looked a little lost on defense much of the time. His size and athleticism can fix that problem with hustle and awareness.

I know its chic to hammer Jordan Bo but he's the entire focus of most opponent's perimeter defense. Ike can feast on that scheme because you can't tightly guard Moss and Bohannon without leaving Iowa's talented bigs open even closer to the basket.

Iowa will be one of the highest scoring teams in the nation this season. Even average defense should produce 22-24 wins.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
The guy who was not a starter who was playing very well at the end of the year was Kriener. Look at his stats over the last 10 games. Once he recovered from the concussions he was very good. His two big issues early in his career were fouls and turnovers. In the last part of the season these were both way down. Kriener has ability to score in many ways and is one of the better man to man defenders. One other positive that doesn't get mentioned enough is that Kriener brings an edge that this team needs. Really like seeing Garza and Kriener together. Both can shoot it and have a nack for scoring down low. Really nice high low combination that could be very efficient. If Kriener could work himself into 16-20 minutes a game he could easily be a 8-10 point/game scorer.

The guy who was not a starter who was playing very well at the end of the year was Kriener. Look at his stats over the last 10 games. Once he recovered from the concussions he was very good. His two big issues early in his career were fouls and turnovers. In the last part of the season these were both way down. .

In the last 8 games of the season he had more fouls (16) than rebounds (11).

The guy who was not a starter who was playing very well at the end of the year was Kriener. Look at his stats over the last 10 games. Once he recovered from the concussions he was very good. His two big issues early in his career were fouls and turnovers. In the last part of the season these were both way down. Kriener has ability to score in many ways and is one of the better man to man defenders. One other positive that doesn't get mentioned enough is that Kriener brings an edge that this team needs. Really like seeing Garza and Kriener together. Both can shoot it and have a nack for scoring down low. Really nice high low combination that could be very efficient. If Kriener could work himself into 16-20 minutes a game he could easily be a 8-10 point/game scorer.

Another spot on post. Ryan provides excellent depth at center; and like Luka, Ryan is a real classic center that can threaten with an open jumper. To the other old guys I'd say a poor man's Willis Reed or Dave Cowens. To the moderately OGs I'd say a real poor man's Bill Walton or Robert Parish. But still a top flight reserve on B!G team.

Reactions: perryhawk
Wow....

Ryan Kreiner/Dave Cowens/Willis Reed comparisons. Just when I thought I’d seen everything....LOL

Good OP. I agree. Ike Moss was inconsistent but his upside looked great. Like most of the team last year he looked a little lost on defense much of the time. His size and athleticism can fix that problem with hustle and awareness.

I know its chic to hammer Jordan Bo but he's the entire focus of most opponent's perimeter defense. Ike can feast on that scheme because you can't tightly guard Moss and Bohannon without leaving Iowa's talented bigs open even closer to the basket.

Iowa will be one of the highest scoring teams in the nation this season. Even average defense should produce 22-24 wins.

It doesn't take allot of focus to guard JBO with the ball in his hands. Every big ten opponent has a bigger and much more athletic pg defending him.

Pressuring a guy who is smaller yet doesn't have the quickness or strength to get around you isn't difficult at all.

Reactions: go-hawks37
Dailey is my pick. Given that he doesn't have to play out of position, pg, anymore. He's a natural 3, great outside shot, has to get stronger taking the ball to the hoop, finishing and rebounding. Start him at the 3 and let Joe gradually work his way in.

It doesn't take allot of focus to guard JBO with the ball in his hands. Every big ten opponent has a bigger and much more athletic pg defending him.

Pressuring a guy who is smaller yet doesn't have the quickness or strength to get around you isn't difficult at all.

I will respectfully disagree with this second sentence completely. Think back, not long ago to Matt Gatens. Matt was tireless running in the half court off of screen after screen. He had a good shot and consequently was hard to defend while not being overly quick.

You could do the same thing with JB......who arguably has a better shot than Matt did. JB is actually pretty quick laterally. In addition JB has other teammates that could draw more attention than what Matt had. That type of activity wears a defense down. It can get the other team in foul trouble.

He doesn't have to have the ball in his hands all the time....and it will be interesting to see how much differently he is able to play if he is healthy. That foot issue certainly could have affected his quickness.

Last edited:
I will respectfully disagree with this second sentence completely. Think back, not long ago to Matt Gatens. Matt was tireless running in the half court off of screen after screen. He had a good shot and consequently was hard to defend while not being overly quick.

You could do the same thing with JB......who arguably has a better shot than Matt did. JB is actually pretty quick laterally. In addition JB has other teammates that could draw more attention than what Matt had. That type of activity wears a defense down. It can get the other team in foul trouble.

He doesn't have to have the ball in his hands all the time....and it will be interesting to see how much differently he is able to play if he is healthy. That foot issue certainly could have affected his quickness.

I think with Connor in the mix at point, ball movement will be better and don't be surprised to see JB have a great year. I like the ball in Connor's hands, good quick passer with a real feel for getting his team the ball in the right places.

I don't think there is any question that JBO's foot was and may still be an issue for him. I know I wouldn't be off the couch with a planteur problem. People are being far too critical of JBO IMHO.

While I think your point has merit, there is a significant difference in your comparators. Neither guy is fleet of foot. But Gatens is a much bigger guy. Size definitely makes a difference in getting enough room to get a shot off. Gatens could use his bulk/muscle to create an opening. Bohannon, listed at 6' (which means he's more likely 5'10" to 5'11") is not only at a quickness disadvantage but he isn't particularly big/strong.

Ultimately, though, I'd like to see the strategy you suggest be implemented more. And it starts with getting the ball out of Bohannon's hands as the primary ball handler. He's a dead eye shooter and a smart player who appears to be getting the max out of the body and athletic ability he has.

While I think your point has merit, there is a significant difference in your comparators. Neither guy is fleet of foot. But Gatens is a much bigger guy. Size definitely makes a difference in getting enough room to get a shot off. Gatens could use his bulk/muscle to create an opening. Bohannon, listed at 6' (which means he's more likely 5'10" to 5'11") is not only at a quickness disadvantage but he isn't particularly big/strong.

Ultimately, though, I'd like to see the strategy you suggest be implemented more. And it starts with getting the ball out of Bohannon's hands as the primary ball handler. He's a dead eye shooter and a smart player who appears to be getting the max out of the body and athletic ability he has.

I think with Connor in the mix at point, ball movement will be better and don't be surprised to see JB have a great year. I like the ball in Connor's hands, good quick passer with a real feel for getting his team the ball inthe right places

I think with Connor in the mix at point, ball movement will be better and don't be surprised to see JB have a great year. I like the ball in Connor's hands, good quick passer with a real feel for getting his team the ball inthe right places
That's what I could see as well. Connor running the offense to keep it flowing and directing traffic with Bohannon constantly moving without the ball to find an opening for a shot.
Doesn't do much for the issues on the defensive end, however.

Reactions: Hawktucson

So far Iowa has not used JBO off the ball much.

I said he was easy to guard with the ball in his hands.

I've been saying for two years now that he should be used off the ball allot more often.

Problem is there have been no other competent ballhandlers.

Now with Connor and Joe that should improve.

I get that.....but Gatens defenders were bigger as well....I think it's relative. I could see a half court offense where our PG, 2G, SF are all running of of screens from the bigs and screening for each other. Hit the open shots and dump the ball down to the bigs when the defense gets flustered and tries to get over or through screens without staying tight on the PF or Center.

If Bohannon is easy to guard how has he averaged 12.4 PPG and 5.3 ASST his first 2 seasons at Iowa? Those numbers stack up pretty well at Iowa, and in the B1G.

If Bohannon is easy to guard how has he averaged 12.4 PPG and 5.3 ASST his first 2 seasons at Iowa? Those numbers stack up pretty well at Iowa, and in the B1G.

Because hes a really good shooter and no matter what you cant stop a guy from getting open looks off lose balls, rebounds, transition ect.

If you cant clearly see how easy it is for opposing pgs to pressure him, and not let him have any good looks off the dribble, and that theres is no special treatment needed I don't think you understand what's happening in front of your face.

Because hes a really good shooter and no matter what you cant stop a guy from getting open looks off lose balls, rebounds, transition ect.

If you cant clearly see how easy it is for opposing pgs to pressure him, and not let him have any good looks off the dribble, and that theres is no special treatment needed I don't think you understand what's happening in front of your face.
So unless you can break down your opponent, and score consistently off the dribble, a basket doesn't count at 2-3 points. IMO you can be a very good player without creating your own shot off the dribble. Sorry but I'm not convinced Bohannon is not a PG, just because he can't drive to the basket at will. His numbers indicate he's been more than solid his first 2 seasons.

Is JB a 2G? The jury is still out on that. I wouldn't mind seeing him play some 2G, just to see if he's being hindered offensively. Unlike many though, I not only think he's a PG, but that by the time he graduates he'll be remembered fondly for his abilities.

Reactions: Hawktucson
I get that.....but Gatens defenders were bigger as well....I think it's relative. I could see a half court offense where our PG, 2G, SF are all running of of screens from the bigs and screening for each other. Hit the open shots and dump the ball down to the bigs when the defense gets flustered and tries to get over or through screens without staying tight on the PF or Center.

Gates was 6'5 so close to the same size as most of the guys guarding him give or take.

But I think we're all agreeing here that Bohannon moving around off the ball will get him more shot opportunities which is what everyone wants.

That's what I could see as well. Connor running the offense to keep it flowing and directing traffic with Bohannon constantly moving without the ball to find an opening for a shot.
Doesn't do much for the issues on the defensive end, however.
That's a different story on the defensive end, I agree. I think we could surprise some people if we get our defense up to an average level. But we have some weapons. Frederick may be an asset. I feel good about this group, at least they have seen where no/soft defense got us last year. Still, we were a young team last year and if they can keep their turnovers down, and make some significant strides in better passing and learn what it is to bear down on defense, we could have an exciting team. Possibly getting into the dance, then maybe even Sweet 16. This will all depend on team will to improve.

So unless you can break down your opponent, and score consistently off the dribble, a basket doesn't count at 2-3 points. IMO you can be a very good player without creating your own shot off the dribble. Sorry but I'm not convinced Bohannon is not a PG, just because he can't drive to the basket at will. His numbers indicate he's been more than solid his first 2 seasons.

Is JB a 2G? The jury is still out on that. I wouldn't mind seeing him play some 2G, just to see if he's being hindered offensively. Unlike many though, I not only think he's a PG, but that by the time he graduates he'll be remembered fondly for his abilities.

Your making a counter argument to things I haven't said.

I just said he was easy to guard for big ten caliber athletes, which is 100 percent true.

Its extremely difficult to be the main ballhandler if you can't get around a guy who is in your jersey at half court.

You have to be able to understand what you're watching. Not just look at stats.

Most of his 3pt attempts dont come in the flow of the offense, they come in transition, offensive rebounds and occasionally via ball movement.

All those same shots would come no matter what spot he was playing, and if he had a good pg to play with his 3pt attempts would increase significantly IMO.

Believe me, Fran would love it if JBO could get 2 or even 3 times as many 3pt attempts a game, but he cant get them because no one on the team can create space.

Last edited:
If I had my choice of PG's we'd always have a PG that can create his own shot (i.e. Lester). We've had far more PG's that cannot create their own shot than can. Even guy's that could fairly regularly get to the basket, like Oliver and Gesell, had trouble finishing. IMO to be a successful PG you have to be able to set up your teammates offense, bring the ball up against pressure, be an offensive threat, and play solid defense.

Bohannon has to get his offense differently than Lester, but to me that doesn't mean he's not a capable PG. Last year we got inconsistent offense from the 2 and 3, but our offensive efficiency was good. If we can get more consistent scoring from the 2 and 3, Bohannon will have more space to operate, despite not being able to beat his man off the dribble. Even if Connor turns out to be a good PG option, in 2018-19, I don't think we'll see Bohannon play a lot of 2G, unless it free's him up to take a lot more shots in the flow of the offense. I'm all for that experiment, even though I don't think it will change how JB is primarily used.

Those great defensive guards must be having some problems. Jordan averages 13.5 ppg, second in the league in assists, first in free throws, fourth in A/TO ratio (differences are within hundreds of a percent), and first in 3 point makes. That is not the profile of an easily guarded player by the usual metrics associated with the position.

Those great defensive guards must be having some problems. Jordan averages 13.5 ppg, second in the league in assists, first in free throws, fourth in A/TO ratio (differences are within hundreds of a percent), and first in 3 point makes. That is not the profile of an easily guarded player by the usual metrics associated with the position.

And yet the fact is that he is easy to guard with the ball in his hands.

And yet the fact is that he is easy to guard with the ball in his hands.
It's good you stick to your guns.

Advanced metrics are the big thing in baseball, for a reason, and our HOF coach Lute charted everything. I'm not saying any of us are using advanced metrics, to counter "your eye's", but I know some of our Hawkeye population has a problem giving credit to players that don't match their ideal athlete's. Historically Bohannon's numbers stack up pretty well when compared to players that are easy to appreciate (Lester, and Armstrong), and I challenge anyone to play high level BBall with Plantar Faciitis. I've lived with that, off and on, for about 5 years.

Reactions: skydog0784
It's good you stick to your guns.

Advanced metrics are the big thing in baseball, for a reason, and our HOF coach Lute charted everything. I'm not saying any of us are using advanced metrics, to counter "your eye's", but I know some of our Hawkeye population has a problem giving credit to players that don't match their ideal athlete's. Historically Bohannon's numbers stack up pretty well when compared to players that are easy to appreciate (Lester, and Armstrong), and I challenge anyone to play high level BBall with Plantar Faciitis. I've lived with that, off and on, for about 5 years.

If you have a basic understanding of what's going on you can just clearly see that he has allot of trouble with ball pressure and can't create space to get his shot off with the ball in his hands.

That's just obvious if you watch.

There is no special focus of a defense, which was what sleeping dog said.

You just pressure the ball and dare him to drive, that's it. Its really basic stuff.

Hes a great shooter and the only competent ball handler on the team so hes going to rack up some stats.

Hes a good player being forced to play a role that's not ideal for him.

I wouldn't count on a big leap forward in defense, but a finger in the dyke is better than what happened last year. Stop allowing the "freebies". When it looks that easy, it is.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT