ADVERTISEMENT

Pretend that you're P Parker: Do you consider using a 5 2 defense in the bowl game?

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
The chances of this actually happening are about 0.1%, but for the sake of discussion do you trust the safeties/CBs enough to only have 2 linebackers on the field?

I hope that Amani Jones gets some major minutes in this game....

Yea I don' see this happening. Even with Miss States less powerful passing attack we still need to be prepared. Look at what happened against bucky. Maybe less of the Star package we've seen alot of this year.

Definitely don't think that's the answer against a running QB. If he gets to the edges there are less bodies out there to catch him. Gotta bring a DB or LB up to the LOS or spy the QB the entire game. You need speed on the outside to keep him contained. I'd go find Norm's playbook from the GT game, use that as a base and build the gameplan.

Definitely don't think that's the answer against a running QB. If he gets to the edges there are less bodies out there to catch him. Gotta bring a DB or LB up to the LOS or spy the QB the entire game. You need speed on the outside to keep him contained. I'd go find Norm's playbook from the GT game, use that as a base and build the gameplan.

My bad...I didn't realize their QB was also their leading rusher. That pretty much ends this thread. sorry.

Martinez is a much better QB than what Miss State has. So we have had some practice containing a runner who was a heck of a lot better passer than this guy coming up.

The only significant changes to the base defense in the Kirk Ferentz era that come to mind was when Norm tweaked the scheme against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.
To be fair Iowa is doing a wider variety of things in recent years. They aren't always in 4-3 quarters 90% of the time. The most obvious change is the star package season. They also have a pass rush defensive line where they swap DEs in place of tackles. Recent years they have used more nickel. And there are some variations in coverage. More man to man, even some cover zero. My inclination would be to use the star package because I think Stone more useful against the run game than one of our LBers. In general I think Iowa has gotten quite good at dealing with zone read, jet sweeps but they are a bit softer up the middle.

What have you seen from him to want this? Not being a dick, but I think he sat for a reason this year. Victim of some heavy hype in the pre-season...
He seems to be a hard hitter, and pretty tough against the run. Hopefully he's learned from the mistakes he made early in the season.

I like when a couple of hard tackles gets in the head of an opposing QB, and Jones seems make those type of plays.

Doesn't MSU run the same offense that Penn State ran against us a couple of years ago?

MSU head coach Joe Moorhead is in his first year after two years as the PSU OC, so the offense is similar. But they're 66th nationally in scoring, Iowa is 47th.

Moorhead was the OC at Fordham in 2015. He made $2.6M base this year. What a leap.

Martinez is a much better QB than what Miss State has. So we have had some practice containing a runner who was a heck of a lot better passer than this guy coming up.
I hope you're right; Nebraska also got 400 yards of offense.

Wait. Which "P Parker" are we talking about?

1227_US_SpiderMan.jpg

Once again an OP not having the vaguest understanding (outside, say, NCAA football video game terms) of the defense Iowa runs, or the substitutions/personnels its been running all year.

If you wanted to be smart about it to stop them you'd just run a 9 front with 9 down lineman with 2 safeties.

Since MSU makes their living running the ball, I expect to see our base defense. They are a crappy passing team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT