ADVERTISEMENT

Privileged BY KYLE KORVER

When your only tool is a hammer, you treat everything as if it's a nail. When your entire worldview revolves around racism, you assume every problem is due to it.

Reactions: Chillyhoff
When your only tool is a hammer, you treat everything as if it's a nail. When your entire worldview revolves around racism, you assume every problem is due to it.
This post is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.

Privilege simply means an advantage. If blacks have disadvantage then whites have an advantage in relation to blacks. What is unclear about this?
If you look at the world in black and white....then sure.

Black disadvantage does not equal white advantage.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
If you look at the world in black and white....then sure.

Black disadvantage does not equal white advantage.
It absolutely does mean that. Acknowledging that blacks have a disadvantage means that whites (who do not share that historical disadvantage) have an advantage over them. That is basic logic. Trust me, I swear I'm not trying to trick you.

How so?

You (or whoever it was) painted a picture of blacks being born into poverty like this is a 3rd world country.

Census stats show 14.3% poverty, and of that small slice 25% is black. which is less than 3% of the population.

Being born in the USA supersedes any imagined disadvantages you think people may have.

It shows a higher level of poverty for blacks than whites. Being born in the USA is a huge advantage no matter your race but the advantage is different based upon your race.

Do we have black posters on HROT? I wonder that. We have a few women that openly post as women.

It absolutely does mean that. Acknowledging that blacks have a disadvantage means that whites (who do not share that historical disadvantage) have an advantage over them. That is basic logic. Trust me, I swear I'm not trying to trick you.
You don’t seem to understand transitive property.

You’re thinking very binary, so I’m not going to get lost in the semantics of it.

I don’t think white privelsge exists

I have never seen that stuff about Irish slaves back in the 1600s. If that's true, how does it change the argument?

You don’t seem to understand transitive property.

You’re thinking very binary, so I’m not going to get lost in the semantics of it.

I don’t think white privelsge exists
So you're not a serious poster then. Good to know.

I have never seen that stuff about Irish slaves back in the 1600s. If that's true, how does it change the argument?
It changes the argument not at all because it's total bullshit. The so-called "Irish slaves" were nothing of the sort. They were indentured servants. First, it was an arrangement they generally entered into "voluntarily" though it was, in most cases, absolutely brutal work they were signing up for. In most cases, it was their only escape from even more dire circumstances at home. Second, their condition wasn't life-long. They were generally in the service of their "sponsor" for a period of time - generally 2-7 years. Third, their condition was absolutely not hereditary. Their children had absolutely no obligation to continue in the service of the sponsor. Fourth, they had - limited - legal rights. Try arguing that a slave had any rights at all. Fifth, they were never - EVER - considered property. You couldn't take one of your indentured servants out and openly beat him or her to death and receive nods of approval from the authorities. To refer to them as "slaves" is grotesque.

Slavery was/is bad. It’s not isolated to black, Americans.

I stand by: living in the United States supersedes any “privelage” argument you can possibly make.

I don’t see any privelage in my life, or lack thereof- only the opportunity to make of my life what I want and to argue about it on a message board.

I stand by: living in the United States supersedes any “privelage” argument you can possibly make.

I don’t see any privelage in my life, or lack thereof- only the opportunity to make of my life what I want and to argue about it on a message board.

Why does living in the United States eliminate a "privelage" argument? Is that the reason you don't see it?

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I've been aware my entire life that I was fortunate to be born when I was, to who I was and where I was.

If my kids bitched about anything I asked them to do, I would always ask if they had to walk 5 miles with a bucket on your head to get clean water and unless they did, they could just shut it and do what I asked them to do.

I was taught thru that "privilege" to take personal responsibility very, very seriously.

The older I get, the more I understand that good jobs with good benefits are the only way out of poverty.

To me, all this other stuff (like these pages and pages of back and forth) are 'noise' meant to ensure that nothing changes.

Changes to whatever laws or programs that have those two items at their core are the only ones that will make dents.

Reactions: TennNole17

Your like to post ratio is an abomination and not at all surprising.

I’ll use pictures next time, your avatar is an advertisement for “paint by numbers when you speak to me”.

(Paint by numbers means a simpletons version of art, in case that went over your vocabulary as well)

Wow this thread went from a fairly civil first couple pages to 4 pages of people intentionally trying to derail a thread about being more decent, fair, and understanding of our fellow Americans.

Some folks seem to be so frightened of having that conversation in earnest that they'll make dozens, if not hundreds, of posts to intentionally deflect or redirect the conversation.

IMO, these people aren't worth talking to, their minds are made up. As Korver said, they're easy to deal with, you ban them from the arena and move on (in this instance, ignore them). The ones we should be talking to are the decent folks who have hearts and empathy, who don't proudly spout ignorance, but who are interested in learning more about others, expanding their world view, and are well-intentioned.

There's no need to give oxygen to the conversation with the folks smearing their shit on the walls of this thread.

Just in case anybody was curious, I researched it and it appears there were never any Irish slaves. At least none in the sense of how there were African slaves. It seems this originated with some "indentured servants" that were shipped to the new world, and while it is possible some were selected against their will (which to me would be pretty much slavery) it was not a permanent thing.

At any rate, carry on with your bickering.

The older I get, the more I understand that good jobs with good benefits are the only way out of poverty.

And, for the most part, an education is a primary way to get a good job with good benefits; a career.

Yes, plenty of trade schools where you can learn trades, and military as well. But none of those are substitutes for solid education in an economy based more and more on technology and complexity.

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
Dads that don’t bang and leave would be an excellent start. Of course we can’t toss around personal responsibility in liberal America.
Sure we can. This is but one of many factors, though. And there are community leaders, liberal Americans, who are trying to address this.

Also, support Planned Parenthood if you want to help with this issue.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
And, for the most part, an education is a primary way to get a good job with good benefits; a career.

Yes, plenty of trade schools where you can learn trades, and military as well. But none of those are substitutes for solid education in an economy based more and more on technology and complexity.

The jobs need to be there for lower educated people. We built the largest middle class in the history of civilization and have done just about everything to destroy it, all in the last 60-70 years.

We've now built China's middle class and are working on other SE Asian country's with our outsourcing of jobs.

Those jobs have to be here to keep the middle class, without those, nothing changes.

The jobs need to be there for lower educated people. We built the largest middle class in the history of civilization and have done just about everything to destroy it, all in the last 60-70 years.

We've now built China's middle class and are working on other SE Asian country's with our outsourcing of jobs.

Those jobs have to be here to keep the middle class, without those, nothing changes.

Global economy,... Middle class jobs will return to America when the US middle class cost of living becomes competitive with the other available options,.... In other words, things are going to get worse before they get better....

The jobs need to be there for lower educated people.

Do they?

Should we set up a federal fund for "blacksmiths"?
Or, should we set up educational opportunities for people to take advantage of IF they want a better paying job?

"Scanners" at grocery stores in CA started at $17-20/hr, back when I lived there ~2000-2003. That requires literally no "skill". IMO, those folks were grossly overpaid back then, and probably still are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT