ADVERTISEMENT

PROOF: AGE Is NOT the Issue

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Ralph Nader at 90 shows us more mental sharpness than Trump or Biden and most members of Congress regardless of age. Like him or not, give a listen. He makes clear that age is the wrong measure. How well you can think and the quality of your judgment is the issue.

Ralph Nader at 90 shows us more mental sharpness than Trump or Biden and most members of Congress regardless of age. Like him or not, give a listen. He makes clear that age is the wrong measure. How well you can think and the quality of your judgment is the issue.

Agree. However, when you do reach a certain number and it's clear that you're on a steep decline DUE to your age, it's easy just to say "Too old".

Reactions: Chuck C
Not every 90 year old is equally as sharp. Some people are still capable of doing tremendous things in their twilight years. Others trip multiple times going up the stairs or get confused and think they just met with someone who actually died decades ago..

Reactions: goldmom
Not every 90 year old is equally as sharp. Some people are still capable of doing tremendous things in their twilight years. Others trip multiple times going up the stairs or get confused and think they just met with someone who actually died decades ago..
This is very true. Since I'm old, I know lots of really old people. There can be major differences in physical and cognitive ability.

There's some talk in the media about the Dem power brokers actually brokering the convention. The reasoning is they can get rid of Harris and Biden together. Newsome is the favorite to take Biden's place.

That won't happen. The DNC got trounced when superdelegates were in the news, and was forced to change the structure of their convention. If they boot Biden for the crime of living a long time, the moderate wing could buck. If I were a strategist with the DNC I would be all in on not meddling. It doesn't play well for the DNC's voters and is red meat for their opposition.

All of that may be true but lets also think about it this way. A president has 4 year term, that's a long time. At that advanced age both physical and mental health can decline extremely rapidly. So even if you elect someone in as POTUS and they are physically healthy and mentally sharp, if they are in their 80's you could notice 2 years into their terms that suddenly they've lost all their mental acuity and are having a whole host of health issues.

This sudden decline is not as likely to happen in someone younger.

So I would argue that age is still an issue even with a mentally and physically healthy elderly individual.

There's some talk in the media about the Dem power brokers actually brokering the convention. The reasoning is they can get rid of Harris and Biden together. Newsome is the favorite to take Biden's place.
When that op-ed first posted here, I wasn't happy about that solution. But it's now looking like a pretty good option.

Reactions: goldmom
hell, some guys in their late 70s can't even remember their wife's name...

Reactions: nelly02

Age is an issue no matter how much people want to say it's not.

However, there is a trade off between age, health, knowledge, experience, and wisdom. Some people can go against the odds and be still be very competent at an older age, but this should not be considered the norm.

A 30 year old may have more energy and mental sharpness than a 70 year old, but a 70 year old may have enough experience and wisdom to outperform a 30 year old. After a certain age, all people will decline both physically and mentally, although this age is different for everyone.

Reactions: Scruddy
Good for Nader, but IMHO, old as fvck is still old as fvck. I'm not interested in the exception because neither Trump nor Biden are it.
My point, which I will keep making until some of you guys who think you are smart finally get it, is that it isn't age that determines fitness to be President. It's mental ability that determines fitness to be President.

Is the daily beast a right wing outlet? Please be very clear about your position here..
Well that's embarrassing. I assume Biden meant because of Iraq, rather than in Iraq - which is certainly plausible, but who knows?

If he actually believes Beau died in Iraq, that's cause for concern.

My point, which I will keep making until some of you guys who think you are smart finally get it, is that it isn't age that determines fitness to be President. It's mental ability that determines fitness to be President.
Mental ability is generally age adjusted as well.

We don't have as high of expectations from an old man as far as their mental abilities as we would a 30 year old.

Absolutely no one would confuse biden for a 30 year old cognitively. Vivek Ramaswamy is in his 30s. He would run circles around biden cognitively.

If vivek was walking and talking like biden, they would be bringing him to the er with concern for stroke.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The USA need a Constitutional Convention where term limits are introduced, and age limits are introduced.

We don't need old, incapacitated people leading this country.

Well that's embarrassing. I assume Biden meant because of Iraq, rather than in Iraq - which is certainly plausible, but who knows?

If he actually believes Beau died in Iraq, that's cause for concern.

He has repeatedly gotten the details on his son's death wrong for years. Whether it's due to cognitive issues or he is using it for political purposes (would obviously be pretty gross) is up for debate.

Oh, I get your point. It just isn't true with these candidates.

He has repeatedly gotten the details on his son's death wrong for years. Whether it's due to cognitive issues or he is using it for political purposes (would obviously be pretty gross) is up for debate.
This is a quote from your article:

"Oh, well, I tell you what, it means a lot to me," Biden responded. "My son spent a year in Iraq; that’s how I lost him."​
Biden later said during the call, "And my son Beau, he was living near a burn pit in Baghdad. He came down with stage 4 glioblastoma brain tumor, and we lost him too."​

He is clearly NOT saying Beau died IN Iraq but, rather, because of Iraq.

Apparently he's sometimes said the other thing, but is that merely a Bidenism or actual cognitive deficit? Do you know? Do you trust FOX to tell you the truth?

Biden has a better chance against Trump than Newsom

"Oh, well, I tell you what, it means a lot to me," Biden responded. "My son spent a year in Iraq; that’s how I lost him."​
Biden later said during the call, "And my son Beau, he was living near a burn pit in Baghdad. He came down with stage 4 glioblastoma brain tumor, and we lost him too."​

Apparently he's sometimes said the other thing, but is that merely a Bidenism or actual cognitive deficit? Do you know? Do you trust FOX to tell you the truth?
What is a "bidenism"?

And how many more or these do you want me to supply? Direct quote: "I'm thinking about Iraq because that's where my son died."

Where is this talk?

"Lost his life in Iraq"

Is this more right wing misinformation as you claim, Jesus? Are you sure it wasn't YOUR biases that made you refuse to believe this was said?

Which is the variable of concern?

Mental ability, of course.

Why use a flawed/averaged proxy for mental ability - age - when we can use more direct measures?

Why argue for the proxy over the actual thing?
Why use age as a gauge? Because mental status is directly correlated with age.

But I do agree that age is not the only factor. If this were the case, biden would not have gotten elected the first time.

The problem for biden is we have seen a dramatic decline from 5 years ago. I don't think anyone in their right mind can claim biden has not declined mentally in the last 5 years.

I think the better question is, does his experience and wisdom compensate for his decline in mental abilities?

I think his lack of ability to speak off the cuff, and the desire from his party to minimize his public appearances shows there is not a lot of confidence in his abilities.

But I do agree that age is not the only factor. If this were the case, biden would not have gotten elected the first time.

The problem for biden is we have seen a dramatic decline from 5 years ago. I don't think anyone in their right mind can claim biden has not declined mentally in the last 5 years.

I think the better question is, does his experience and wisdom compensate for his decline in mental abilities?

I think his lack of ability to speak off the cuff, and the desire from his party to minimize his public appearances shows there is not a lot of confidence in his abilities.
He wasn't particularly sharp for his age 5 years ago, either..

Reactions: Hawk_82
Why use a flawed/averaged proxy for mental ability - age - when we can use more direct measures?
Every 'direct measure' you want to create will be judged flawed by anyone who sees their favorite excluded.

Can you imagine the denunciations Chis would level at any cognitive test Biden failed? Do you think he'd accept the results because you call them 'direct measures'?

Whereas age is objective.
We can tell if you're under 35, and we can tell if you'll be 70 in the final year of a four year term.

After FDR held the presidency until his death, tossing Washington's Cincinnation example onto the ash heap with so many other norms during his reign, the country fixed it to prevent President-for-Life from happening again.

I'm optimistic we can make another adjustment to correct this problem too.

"Lost his life in Iraq"

Is this more right wing misinformation as you claim, Jesus? Are you sure it wasn't YOUR biases that made you refuse to believe this was said?
Read the part I quoted from your source AGAIN. It's totally clear that Biden blames Beau's death on what happened in Iraq. And he's almost certainly correct about that.

It's also clear that sometimes he is clear about that, while sometimes he seems to be using shorthand or committing a gaffe by saying Beau died in Iraq.

Is that a possible sign of dementia? Yeah, probably. Is it necessarily a sign of dementia? Hardly. Your side isn't considering both possibilities. I am You and FOX are insisting on only one interpretation. I'm open to both.

Which one of us is being reasonable?

Dumb and Dumber educated us that old people, while slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still can serve a purpose.

I guess you know voting times are rough when you can take everything you're concerned about Biden, compound it by an order of magnitude, and it's still nowhere near how awful it would be with Trump in his place.

Biden would never be in the WH in the first place if Trump wasn't your chosen guy.

I see this kind of objection all the time and I really don't understand it.

You have mental status and you have age. There's a correlation in a population. Not in an individual. I posted the interview with Nader to illustrate that.

Which of those factors are we interested in? Mental status, right? And rightly so.

Why look at the correlate when you can look at the actual measure of interest. If you want to criticize Biden's mental fitness, do so with examples of his mental fitness, if you have some you think merit attention. Or test him.

You're talking with Kareem. Do you use the population average to guess his height, or do you trust your own eyes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT