ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of Fran and the team, but recruiting has to drastically improve if

Letsgohawks411

HR All-State
Feb 15, 2015
we are going to make a dent on a national level and be a consistent contender for the BIG title.

While I agree, keep in mind it took Bo Ryan 13 years to get the Badgers to a national top 10 level.

One step at a time. This year's step (12 BIG wins and a solid tourney berth) is a big step forward. You can now sell two NCAA's and a top four Big Ten finish to recruits.

Originally posted by srams21:
While I agree, keep in mind it took Bo Ryan 13 years to get the Badgers to a national top 10 level.

One step at a time. This year's step (12 BIG wins and a solid tourney berth) is a big step forward. You can now sell two NCAA's and a top four Big Ten finish to recruits.
Not to mention turning 2 unranked 3*'s into 1st team all-B1G

How do we know recruiting isn't good? look pretty dang good to me right now.. Top 7 seed coming

Re: Proud of Fran and the team, but recruiting has to drastically imp

And Bo has done it without a bunch of McDs all Americans. Good recruits sure but hardly top 10 classes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by StormHawk42:

Not to mention turning 2 unranked 3*'s into 1st team all-B1G
IIRC Bob Gibbons had Marble ranked around 150.
wink.r191677.gif

I hope we can add NBA draftee's as well, and Sweet 16 or better to Fran's resume. Lets go Hawks!!!

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:

And Bo has done it without a bunch of McDs all Americans. Good recruits sure but hardly top 10 classes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.

It's almost better to watch coaches like Bo and Fran, to see if they are getting their primary recruits. Forget the stars.

These guys are star makers, not star followers.

Are the new recruits really that bad? Or are we just butthurt over Ulis still?

I'm not likely to be accused of over exuberance, but c'mon. Was it really necessary to post about national prestige when this group of kids exceeded most people's expectations and are headed to the NCAAs with some positive mojo going?

Selection Sunday is going to be enjoyable for the Hawks for the first time in quite a while. I hope the brackets that have them going to Omaha pan out.

Originally posted by Letsgohawks411:
we are going to make a dent on a national level and be a consistent contender for the BIG title.

I know this is a message board but when people use terms like drastic or epic it just kills the credibility of the point they are trying to make. ..at least in this instance. This Iowa team obviously has a lot of talent. ..a lot.

I could agree that an improvement in recruiting can take us to a higher level. ..but our current talent is capable of taking us a long way. ..

and turning Marble into a NBA Draft pick who actually was a starter on a NBA team being one of those unranked 3* players and ir looks like White will be his 2nd unranked 3* player to be a NBA Draft pick,

BO has these as highly rated recruits
Dekker was a 5* from instate
Kaminskie was a 3* by one site and a 4* by another
Koenig 4*

and that's it on this years team and they look to be a FF team following up last year's FF team. with the same group, having 4 and 5* players are nice but it doesn't mean much if there is NO TEAM chemistry.

Yogi was a 5* PG and look at how that has worked out.

as long as IA keeps getting top 4 finishes and goes to the dance I am very happy, once in the matchups will determine how far Fran's teams will go.
SA's best record was 11-5

Lute went 12-6 twice
Dr. Tom went 12-6 twice
Lutes best was 13-5
Dr. Tom best 14-4
as you can tell in 40 years 12 or more wins seasons have been very rare.

This the same poster that trolled this board with thread after thread after the loss to nw. Just ignore him.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

and turning Marble into a NBA Draft pick who actually was a starter on a NBA team being one of those unranked 3* players and ir looks like White will be his 2nd unranked 3* player to be a NBA Draft pick,

BO has these as highly rated recruits
Dekker was a 5* from instate
Kaminskie was a 3* by one site and a 4* by another
Koenig 4*

and that's it on this years team and they look to be a FF team following up last year's FF team. with the same group, having 4 and 5* players are nice but it doesn't mean much if there is NO TEAM chemistry.

Yogi was a 5* PG and look at how that has worked out.

as long as IA keeps getting top 4 finishes and goes to the dance I am very happy, once in the matchups will determine how far Fran's teams will go.
SA's best record was 11-5

Lute went 12-6 twice
Dr. Tom went 12-6 twice
Lutes best was 13-5
Dr. Tom best 14-4
as you can tell in 40 years 12 or more wins seasons have been very rare.
You say that like it hasn't worked out lol. Yogi's a very good point guard. Indiana would have picked up some more wins if they had any size in the front court.

Yeah cause having a 1st team all B1G, a 3rd team all B1G, and the 6th man of the year just is not gonna cut it in your world, Lol.

The OP is the type of guy that if Iowa won 25 games every year and finished 2nd every year and went to at least the sweet 16 every year would bitch because they can't get the recruits to take us to the next level.
laugh.r191677.gif

i

if's and more if's with a couple of butts in there they still ended up 9-9 AND as rev always keeps saying IA needs a elite PG to have success AND Yogi is a Elitie PG and they only went 9-9 with that Elite PG, just goes to show a Elite PG cannot do it all.

and Gesell is better than Rev and others give him credit for being. then you have the 13-14 season where Indiana went 7-11.

Every team has these types of fans. I know some Kentucky fans who are constantly whining about how they have close games sometimes.
Originally posted by Guidotheguide:
The OP is the type of guy that if Iowa won 25 games every year and finished 2nd every year and went to at least the sweet 16 every year would bitch because they can't get the recruits to take us to the next level.
laugh.r191677.gif

i

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:
laugh.r191677.gif

i
Poster is the same type of fan that wanted Dr. Tom gone. I would wager that Fran will sign a top 50 recruit in the next 2 years. Hopefully more than one:)

Dr. Tom avg'd 20 wps and went 9-0 in 1st rnd games and he was run off because the AD felt IA deserved better. IE BTT and NT. and look at how that turned out.

face it BB had to have the support of some of the bigger boosters to pull that one off.

I agree, but I think he might be getting closer to making this happen.

This year's success is a huge help, and it would be REALLY huge if we could pull off a nice little run in the tournament.

Then, it only takes 1 or 2 high profile guys to start a trend.

What i worry about is if we take a step backward next year, and the freshman class ends up being pretty "meh."

That we are fighting from behind once again waiting for our prince to arrive.

We need to get a few top tier kids here eventually if he ever wants to make that next step.

Let's not forget we have 10 losses! Not a great year by any stretch. And next year will probably be another NIT year because we have no one coming in or on the roster that can replace what White provided. It would be a stretch to say we have someone on deck ready to replace Oleseni's production. We can't continue to always wait for 3 stars to contribute late in their sophomore or junior years, we need some highly rated players that can be solid contributors in their freshman year.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Dr. Tom avg'd 20 wps and went 9-0 in 1st rnd games and he was run off because the AD felt IA deserved better. IE BTT and NT. and look at how that turned out.

face it BB had to have the support of some of the bigger boosters to pull that one off.
Dr. Tom was ran because over his final 100 BIG games he was 50-50. He was a very mediocre coach. Always went 10-2 non conference over a bunch of patsies then went .500 in the league. He should have been gone sooner.

Between 1982 and 1988 Iowa landed 6 McDonalds All Americans. I think Kingsbury was the last one to come in as a frosh (Okey and Recker transferred in) Tyler Smith maybe?

Unfortunately, it's not 1985 anymore so Iowa has to win in order to have that kind of name brand again. Fortunately, Fran is doing a great job of our only alternative which is developing players.

I look for one of the freshmen next year to play well above the rankings, Wagner perhaps. Next year's team could surprise and we still have a 'ship or two. Let's go on a big run and land a couple of star recruits!

I want to thank the OP for reminding us all that he isn't settling for mediocrity. Until you all stop settling for mediocrity you will never be where he is in life.

It's just further proof that nothing is ever good enough. Not ever!

Buddy was telling me Kentucky rivals fans are bitching that they should be winning games by more than what they are with all that talent.

Wow, a lot of over-reacters on here. The OP is right of course. I thought that was everybody's mind set: make a run in the NCAA's and use that momentum to close the deal on better/elite recruits. Is there an alternate plan??? Do some of you think Fran can maintain the momentum the program has by finding 3* diamonds in the rough every year? Of course, recruiting has to get better and its not a bust on our boys to admit that. I'm very proud of this team and I think they can really put together a real run this season but its natural to want to get better players.

next year will probably be another NIT year.
Your forecasting skills need to drastically improve.

Let's not forget we have 10 losses! Not a great year by any stretch. And next year will probably be another NIT year because we have no one coming in or on the roster that can replace what White provided. It would be a stretch to say we have someone on deck ready to replace Oleseni's production. We can't continue to always wait for 3 stars to contribute late in their sophomore or junior years, we need some highly rated players that can be solid contributors in their freshman year.
I know you are trolling so won't go into this much, but everyone said this same thing about Dev last year! Guess what, players get better! Iowa will be returning 4 starters next year with 3 of them being seniors. The last starter is likely to be Uhl who is not currently Aaron White but I would argue has more tools in the tool box at his disposal. I guess I will get into this a little bit!
smile.r191677.gif

The whole point of the thread is that we need better recruiting if we want to be relevant outside the state of Iowa.

The underlying criticism here is that we don't have a 4* player in the 2015 class. It could be argued that at least one of those a year would keep us competitive for the top half of the B1G. According to ESPN, we have achieved that for 2015 in Moss, a 4* player according to their site.

Trolls are great at passive aggressive when there's no ammo for outright negative direct aggression. Mud have to be slung somehow... Sky is falling! yep, rains and snows sometimes in IA...

Fran's recruiting results have been okay -- not great. His recruiting effort and plans have been great, IMO. Unfortunately we've come in second for a lot of recruits, but they all speak highly of Fran. I think many are just hesitant to commit to a coach and a program that have not been in the national light for awhile. Hopefully we can make a run this year that can change that.

You can build a solid program that makes NCAA tournaments if you can at least keep your best players for 4 years. Even under Lickliter we brought in enough talent to win if the players stuck around long enough. For whatever reason, Lickliter chased Tony Freeman off the team, Jeff Peterson didn't last long, Jermain Davis transferred, Jake Kelly transferred, Aaron Fuller transferred, and Anthony Tucker transferred. Transfers aren't unusual in college basketball, but what was strange is that most of the transfers under Lickliter were starters or players playing significant minutes. Each of the players mentioned played at least 20 minutes per game. Since Fran has been here, Pat Ingram transferred, Kyle Meyer transferred, and Trey Dickerson has trasferred, but none of them played any meaningful minutes.

The point is, even if the recruiting results don't improve, we are still going to have talented teams that can make the NCAA tournament as long as Fran can keep his top players in the system.

And if Iowa goes 37-3 next year that won't be good enough because what about the year after that? The team chemistry and heart Iowa has is better than it's been in 15+ years, and this year isn't over. Enjoy the moment.

I am glad Fran has helped low ranked players develop so well.

But there is no arguing the fact that higher ranked players make better teams in general. If this is in question, take a look at the Top 10 teams. How many don't have any 3, 4, or 5 star players in the past 5 years?

I will also add that I don't agree with those writing off next year's team as an NIT team. We certainly lose a lot with Aaron White and Olaseni, but we still have 5 big time contributors returning who can make up a solid starting 5 (Gesell, Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff, Woodbury) and I expect Uhl to be much improved. Add in a second-year player in Ellingson who can provide quality outside shooting at the guard position.

I still don't know what to expect from the freshmen, but I do know that Hutton should be able to come in and be a defensive stopper right away which immediately makes him a great role player even if he never develops into a star. I hope Wagner can come in and be a solid post defender/rebounder who can also be a quality role player right away. Moss is probably the highest rated recruit of all of them, and if he can provide an offensive threat off the bench (or even in a starting role if Clemmons continues coming off the bench) then I could definitely see next year's team getting back to the NCAA tournament.

We might not have the depth and experience next year that we've had the past couple years, but we'll still have 5 very good players that we can lean on without demanding too much from the newcomers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT