ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue PBP Thread

Punisher style with the American flag is pretty military. I will give you the blue, although my good friend from high school was an M.P. in the Army and is now a highway patrolman.
meaningless debate but the solid blue line is def law enforcement. half the cops in my area have this bumper sticker. also obviously a lot of former military become cops so a bunch of overlap.

I agree Wild Turk...Drake looked great! Schroder had nothing for him. I think he'll be ready to go in March with a season of B10 competition behind him. Definitely a potential top 5 guy!
Him going this year might be a blessing in disguise. Get him used to battling these top ranked guys while being somewhat undersized, then he’ll have a year to fill out his frame and learn how to use his grown man strength. He’s already a stud and he’s just scratched the surface of his potential

I'm not as savvy as some of you guys so if that was in fact a good call, I retract my statement. Of all the stall calls that I've seen not called throughout the year I just thought it was a bit much calling two in such a short amount of time.
I'm fairly certain that what I described is what happened...but it really wasn't terribly clear. I do remember though thinking as the period wound down that KY is going to get dinged for stalling here pretty quick for not returning the other guy to the mat quickly enough...then he did get nicked for stalling and I looked at the clock and there was right at :06 seconds remaining and I thought, "He better return him quickly or he is going to get hit again". He did not then return him before the end of the period and Purdue got a point.

So either Purdue was given the escape OR the second stall resulted in the same point. I think it was a second stalling call though.

I appreciate Warner’s matches, because it gives me a chance to get a snack without missing much.
That's hilarious, Art! That's exactly what Gibbons and Sparks were saying as they were catching up other areas of importance. I believe it was Sparks who said words to the effect that we picked the right match to do it. LMAO!

BTW, watching Warner is like watching that old NW wrestler that I hated watching...Jason Tsirtsis. Check out all of his NCAA tourney matches. Out of all the years and all the matches, he might have had two that weren't 3-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-3, and so on. That guy was great at defense, but in this age of stall calls he would be leading the pack. His matches, like Warner's, were mega boring. As long as his style bring Warner a top 3/4 in March, I'm happy.

Kind of feel sorry for Schroeder, he was like bouncing around like, hell Yeahhh! No Spencer!
I'm going to whoop this punks ass!
Then at the end it was like Lizak when he wrestled Spencer.
Schroeder was like wth? Lol

Drake is a fighter, doesnt seem hesitant at all no matter who. Really looking forward to watching the young mans career. Now that we have opened up this can, I dont know how you close it next year.
I just hope he keeps that engine going. Love that he's a lot like ASD in that he just keeps coming no matter what! That Southern Scuffle match for third place when Drake completely annihilated Surtin coming back from down 7-0 to start the 3rd period was incredible. That was all heart and his incredible engine! Drake is going to be fun, fun, fun to watch!!

Reactions: sdvike and Sett1997
I just hope he keeps that engine going. Love that he's a lot like ASD in that he just keeps coming no matter what! That Southern Scuffle match for third place when Drake completely annihilated Surtin coming back from down 7-0 to start the 3rd period was incredible. That was all heart and his incredible engine! Drake is going to be fun, fun, fun to watch!!

Agree ^^. Drake didn't just win a solid match v. a good opponent...he looked very good doing so. That was not a fluke, it was a quality match and while he does not look to be quite as physical as I suspect that he will be in time and he chose not to go under Purdue there...so getting out from under a top opponent could still be a limiter this year.

But he looks very, very good. Is there any chance that he wrestles next year, assuming Spencer returns...and one of them wrestles 133?

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Yea, it is better than the "fist in the back penalty" or whatever with the BT+ student announcer from Maryland that one year.
Everybody has their memorable one-liners: Gibbons-Bring hips to the party. BTN+ student announcer: Fist to the back penalty.

Agree ^^. Drake didn't just win a solid match v. a good opponent...he looked very good doing so. That was not a fluke, it was a quality match and while he does not look to be quite as physical as I suspect that he will be in time and he chose not to go under Purdue there...so getting out from under a top opponent could still be a limiter this year.

But he looks very, very good. Is there any chance that he wrestles next year, assuming Spencer returns...and one of them wrestles 133?
I'm thinking TNT would do whatever it would take - keeping the health of the team at the forefront - to win the NCAAs during Spencer's 4th NCAA championship. Drake looks very slender and today looked much smaller than Schroder, so I'm not even sure that he's close to 125, despite the fact that today he acted like he was 195. LOL!

I disagree. Spencer is 5’2. Drake is 5’6. Other way around for weights next year.
Yeah, Ayala is the one who has a frame to keep building. I hate to say it, but based on what I’ve seen thus far, he would seem to be in a good position to follow the Zain model. Keep progressing through this season, get a live taste for what it takes to be at the top, take a shirt year to become beastly, then take the NCAA by storm and dominate for 3 years.

I disagree. Spencer is 5’2. Drake is 5’6. Other way around for weights next year.
If Cullan Schriever develops per plan he will be 133. Would make little sense to go another way.
yes. But no way Spencer goes 133, is what I am saying. Ayala and Schriever can duke it out for 133. Or redshirt Ayala.

How can a noise be gay? Lol it's a Rick Flair thing. Been happening during Heavyweight since Stoll at least. I don't mind it if it stays at one weight personally.
I don’t know anything about Rick Flair.
This noise all started after Stoll took a bullet. It started in the student section, imitating a small caliber gun, like a 22. Pewwww.
I think it’s mostly kids and I often wonder, do they know why they’re making the noise?
This horse has left town and I wish the noise would too.

this is hilarious because every other fan base thinks he’s an iowa homer. i’m more on their side than yours. he always has very positive things to say about all of the hawks wrestlers.
It's just the little things he does. He's a pretty monotone dude but the excitement level in his voice always seems to nudge up when an Iowa guy gets scored on, today when one of the Purdue guys (can't remember which match) got an escape he commented on how late the ref was awarding him the point, when (I think) Schroeder got hit with a stalling call he commented on how he didn't agree with it. I shouldn't have said he's "blatantly" rooting for the other team, I just notice things like this repeatedly whenever he calls an Iowa match.

yes. But no way Spencer goes 133, is what I am saying. Ayala and Schriever can duke it out for 133. Or redshirt Ayala.
Or everyone bumps up from Ayala-Schriever-Henson-Murin and then 57 is covered. Not suggesting that's a good idea but it's an idea.

Reactions: evashevsky58
I'm fairly certain that what I described is what happened...but it really wasn't terribly clear. I do remember though thinking as the period wound down that KY is going to get dinged for stalling here pretty quick for not returning the other guy to the mat quickly enough...then he did get nicked for stalling and I looked at the clock and there was right at :06 seconds remaining and I thought, "He better return him quickly or he is going to get hit again". He did not then return him before the end of the period and Purdue got a point.

So either Purdue was given the escape OR the second stall resulted in the same point. I think it was a second stalling call though.
He gave the escape put both hands up parallel to each other and signaled one.
I wanted to come home and watch it on BTN but the meet isn't showing up anywhere. 🤬

I'm thinking TNT would do whatever it would take - keeping the health of the team at the forefront - to win the NCAAs during Spencer's 4th NCAA championship. Drake looks very slender and today looked much smaller than Schroder, so I'm not even sure that he's close to 125, despite the fact that today he acted like he was 195. LOL!
Drake looked great, Schroeder just wanted to get on the bus.
Lotta bugs this time of year, not giving him an excuse but he's got a better tank than that. Still a great win.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Yeah, Ayala is the one who has a frame to keep building. I hate to say it, but based on what I’ve seen thus far, he would seem to be in a good position to follow the Zain model. Keep progressing through this season, get a live taste for what it takes to be at the top, take a shirt year to become beastly, then take the NCAA by storm and dominate for 3 years.
I like this take.
My take was stupid. Lol
I think Drake can definitely AA this year, I'm thinking 4 as a high 6 as a low?
I love the fire and tank.
I know it's early, just like what I see.

Last edited:
Drake is a fighter, doesnt seem hesitant at all no matter who. Really looking forward to watching the young mans career. Now that we have opened up this can, I dont know how you close it next year.
Easy. You make him beat Spencer Lee for his spot.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
I like this take.
My take was stupid. Lol
I think Drake can definitely AA this year, I'm thinking 4 as a high 6 as a low?
I love the fire and tank.
I know it's early, just like what I see.

I think he has a higher ceiling and a lower floor. His path will be important; and more about styles/size than seeds. If he can avoid the big guys he could place very high. Or he could hit two bad matchups and disappoint.

I think he has a higher ceiling and a lower floor. His path will be important; and more about styles/size than seeds. If he can avoid the big guys he could place very high. Or he could hit two bad matchups and disappoint.
Ughh, I hope he has a higher floor. You think he can beat Vito, Glory, or Nick? I get the lower.
Kid is a bad ass. Who knows?

No.

Reactions: MVPFAN and Gobblin
Anyone want to guess the conversation had after Friday night? Whatever it was....... hearts were changed. Them boys went to revival, got saved, and had CHURCH today!!!! Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters???

Yup...Tom had what we used to call a "Come to Jesus" (AKA butt chewing) talk with the boys.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Blue line is associated with law enforcement. Which should never have any relation to military

LE sometimes does a sh*t load of training with their counterparts in the military...especially canine units. Also, the border gets worked by Fed BP, customs and military (usually guard on orders). Don't let the blue line trigger you...it's a popular tat in the military.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT