ADVERTISEMENT

RB Coach options

It f___ing better not be.
After the last offseason, I think BF will have to prove himself as a HC or at least a very effective OC elsewhere before he gets the HC job at Iowa. I think his only chance at that gig in Iowa City is if we have another 4to 5 year run of success with the offense stepping out front, and no more major concerns. If that happens, i'd be fine with that.....

Not to side rail the thread, but if you have inside information on that, well done. I will never call anyone out for having an inside scoop. I like being on HR for some of the rumors, but this is contrary to what I believe will happen.
I used to think there was going to be a transition to Brian, but nit anymore, I think it will be someone else first, while BF goes somewhere first to cut his teeth before getting the big boy job.
I have zero inside info; and I too enjoy HR. I also wasn't planting a "rumor seed." Just my opinion of what the future might hold. If I were placing odds today on BF getting the HC job, I'd put him at 4/1, and I don't believe anybody would have better odds. My post was really more about the need for the next RB & OL coaches "to be good with" BF. KF is going to be teaching them "through BF," rarely directly.

So, who you got ahead of BF as the next HC?

After the last offseason, I think BF will have to prove himself as a HC or at least a very effective OC elsewhere before he gets the HC job at Iowa. I think his only chance at that gig in Iowa City is if we have another 4to 5 year run of success with the offense stepping out front, and no more major concerns. If that happens, i'd be fine with that.....
You've got BF standing on "shaky ground;" I've got him standing on "bedrock."

I have zero inside info; and I too enjoy HR. I also wasn't planting a "rumor seed." Just my opinion of what the future might hold. If I were placing odds today on BF getting the HC job, I'd put him at 4/1, and I don't believe anybody would have better odds. My post was really more about the need for the next RB & OL coaches "to be good with" BF. KF is going to be teaching them "through BF," rarely directly.

Yeah, I understand now where you were going with that and I think your odds are probably about right with BF being the next head coach. I mean who else would you really handicap right now besides the usual suspects? Both Stoops, Jay Norvel, Chris Klieman.... IDK... I don’t care about the Iowa ties, just want a legit coach who is the right fit and great at what he does.

We probably need another thread on this topic. Its always a popular one and makes for an interesting dialogue. However, I love the direction of the program right now. Recruiting has seen an uptick and there is a lot if young talent in the program. I know Kirk is getting up there but he seems rejuvenated (just my opinion) after all the stress from the racial issues this past summer and then leading the program through a pandemic year. I think he’ll be looking forward to a normal year. I think he’ll be here for 4 or 5 years yet and I will be glad to see it. With his right hand men PP and BF, I don’t see the program falling off much.

My only concern is his age being used against him in recruiting and let’s be real.... it already is. But despite the negative recruiting against Iowa, the program continues pull in talent, so not sure how huge an issue it is yet.

My guess right now would Chris Klieman (sp?) from KSU followed by BF as odds in favorite for next HC

It f___ing better not be.
Awww why not? Because he yelled at some people? Turn on Alabama/Clemson/Notre Dame from the last few years and you might see what some would call over the line yelling/treatment.

BF is young, got plenty of experience and would do the one thing everyone wants: remove him from the OC position. I think it would be a great hire and he would hire great people around him.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Yeah, I understand now where you were going with that and I think your odds are probably about right with BF being the next head coach. I mean who else would you really handicap right now besides the usual suspects? Both Stoops, Jay Norvel, Chris Klieman.... IDK... I don’t care about the Iowa ties, just want a legit coach who is the right fit and great at what he does.

We probably need another thread on this topic. Its always a popular one and makes for an interesting dialogue. However, I love the direction of the program right now. Recruiting has seen an uptick and there is a lot if young talent in the program. I know Kirk is getting up there but he seems rejuvenated (just my opinion) after all the stress from the racial issues this past summer and then leading the program through a pandemic year. I think he’ll be looking forward to a normal year. I think he’ll be here for 4 or 5 years yet and I will be glad to see it. With his right hand men PP and BF, I don’t see the program falling off much.

My only concern is his age being used against him in recruiting and let’s be real.... it already is. But despite the negative recruiting against Iowa, the program continues pull in talent, so not sure how huge an issue it is yet.

My guess right now would Chris Klieman (sp?) from KSU followed by BF as odds in favorite for next HC

Was the '20 year an outlier with Klieman? He better get it going.

Yeah. I agree. Thats a good point. Honestly, I would rather have Brian. It would make for a much smoother transition, but I think it would require a lot of winning from now until then to even have BF considered which is a good thing for Hawkeye fans.

Your post has a lot of good points but also raises some undiscussed issues. Qualification are an important part of the equation, but dynamics could be the deciding factors.

First we have to differentiate the OL coach task. One is the development of individuals. KF has had great success at that. Second is the development of the OL as a unit. KF has been very poor at that. A large part of that has been his refusal to change schemes and play design.

An OL candidate with a good understanding of both OL and overall offensive concepts is not going to accept a position where he feels that poor schemes are going to block his success. And I agree that KF
will not be receptive for suggestions for change.

Another factor that plays against the acquisition of an outstanding younger guy is the block for promotion with the current staff configuration.

While I think TP is a very good young coach, I think putting him at OL was a huge mistake. That job is just too complex for a novice, so there is a price to pay in the short run. And we paid it. And again, with no promotional opportunity, no long term TP should have been expected.

So IMO, the chance for an optimum hire (OL guru, with solid offensive conceptual understanding, and energetic/talented recruiter) is minimal. Candidate will be off-put by existing offense and lack of promotional opportunity. KF will be less than enthusiastic about challenges to his offensive system and may even consider such a candidate as a threat.

What that leaves is a compromise candidate: either one who is an older OL guru without any burning desire for advancement and limited recruiting ability, or a good young recruiter who has OL exposure (but not expertise) who will leave our current offense unchallenged and again be gone in 3/4 years.

So an OL coach, looking at a job that opened because the previous young line coach got a promotion to OC at a different school, would be put off by a team that prioritizes running the ball, has about 10 existing players in the NFL, with more coming in the next draft/free agency period; a current OL room that features an All American and at least two other returning starters; and, an incoming class with three 4*s and a high 3* we pirated from Texas?

All because "KF will be less than enthusiastic about challenges to his offensive system and may even consider such a candidate as a threat." On second thought, don't you really think Iowa's legendary future HoF coach has a better reputation in the coaching community than that?

So an OL coach, looking at a job that opened because the previous young line coach got a promotion to OC at a different school, would be put off by a team that prioritizes running the ball, has about 10 existing players in the NFL, with more coming in the next draft/free agency period; a current OL room that features an All American and at least two other returning starters; and, an incoming class with three 4*s and a high 3* we pirated from Texas?

All because "KF will be less than enthusiastic about challenges to his offensive system and may even consider such a candidate as a threat." On second thought, don't you really think Iowa's legendary future HoF coach has a better reputation in the coaching community than that?

Regarding your first paragraph: the primary components of a football offense, an army, or any fighting force are people and methods. We are in quite good shape on the people side, it's been getting better but has long been above average at the OL as you indicate. The problem has been and is, clearly on the method side. Without even watching, but just using deductive reasoning, if the OL people have at least been ok, but the results(especially running) have annually been in the bottom half of the conference, then the problem must be with the methods. And it is. Lack of misdirection, poor play design and blocking schemes, poor pass route trees, bad clock management, poor risk/reward decisions.......

An OL coaching candidate will not have a problem with the people side. But he knows that as OL coach, he can't control methods, although those methods can either facilitate his task or make it next to impossible. The best he can hope for is to have a listener who is open to his suggestions. Doubtful that he would see that as a likely possibility with KF and "family".

Regarding your second paragraph: legendary ?, Hof F ?, reputation in coaching community?
Most college HCs aren't fools and privately see the program for what it is: great developer of players,
a little less than average in P5 recruiting, high level of defense on a national scale, and an offense that has been badly underperforming for years, even within it's own conference, with insufficient action to change it's trajectory.

That hardly meets the qualifications for legendary or H of F.

They would support that contention quite easily by pointing out that only once in the last 10 years
has the team even seriously contended for the championship of it's own weak division.

Drinkall would be one heck of a pickup. Great young offensive mind. His personality and likeability would be a major plus for recruiting. I think he would work the midwest really well.

Regarding your first paragraph: the primary components of a football offense, an army, or any fighting force are people and methods. We are in quite good shape on the people side, it's been getting better but has long been above average at the OL as you indicate. The problem has been and is, clearly on the method side. Without even watching, but just using deductive reasoning, if the OL people have at least been ok, but the results(especially running) have annually been in the bottom half of the conference, then the problem must be with the methods. And it is. Lack of misdirection, poor play design and blocking schemes, poor pass route trees, bad clock management, poor risk/reward decisions.......

An OL coaching candidate will not have a problem with the people side. But he knows that as OL coach, he can't control methods, although those methods can either facilitate his task or make it next to impossible. The best he can hope for is to have a listener who is open to his suggestions. Doubtful that he would see that as a likely possibility with KF and "family".

Regarding your second paragraph: legendary ?, Hof F ?, reputation in coaching community?
Most college HCs aren't fools and privately see the program for what it is: great developer of players,
a little less than average in P5 recruiting, high level of defense on a national scale, and an offense that has been badly underperforming for years, even within it's own conference, with insufficient action to change it's trajectory.

They would support that contention quite easily by pointing out that only once in the last 10 years
has the team even seriously contended for the championship of it's own weak division.
So you are saying some dude comes in to coach the offensive line and Kirk will just turn him loose and have no input? Do you not think maybe Kirk and Brian might have a little knowledge and just maybe the new guy could learn something from them instead of the other way around?

KF needs to have back to back 10 win seasons to qualify for consideration for the HOF, if he wins 9 a year going forward its 4 years, 8 wins a year 20 years. He needs to step it up to make the 60% requirement for consideration.

They started out really good but then their QB went down with an injury and then had tons of covid issues. Plus hat was only his second year there. Still building what he wants there. Seems weird to say he better get it going given he won 8 games his first year and they looked way better than expected before all the issues they faced.

Wut?

Your post has a lot of good points but also raises some undiscussed issues. Qualification are an important part of the equation, but dynamics could be the deciding factors.

First we have to differentiate the OL coach task. One is the development of individuals. KF has had great success at that. Second is the development of the OL as a unit. KF has been very poor at that. A large part of that has been his refusal to change schemes and play design.

An OL candidate with a good understanding of both OL and overall offensive concepts is not going to accept a position where he feels that poor schemes are going to block his success. And I agree that KF
will not be receptive for suggestions for change.

Another factor that plays against the acquisition of an outstanding younger guy is the block for promotion with the current staff configuration.

While I think TP is a very good young coach, I think putting him at OL was a huge mistake. That job is just too complex for a novice, so there is a price to pay in the short run. And we paid it. And again, with no promotional opportunity, no long term TP should have been expected.

So IMO, the chance for an optimum hire (OL guru, with solid offensive conceptual understanding, and energetic/talented recruiter) is minimal. Candidate will be off-put by existing offense and lack of promotional opportunity. KF will be less than enthusiastic about challenges to his offensive system and may even consider such a candidate as a threat.

What that leaves is a compromise candidate: either one who is an older OL guru without any burning desire for advancement and limited recruiting ability, or a good young recruiter who has OL exposure (but not expertise) who will leave our current offense unchallenged and again be gone in 3/4 years.
This is nonsense.

So you are saying some dude comes in to coach the offensive line and Kirk will just turn him loose and have no input? Do you not think maybe Kirk and Brian might have a little knowledge and just maybe the new guy could learn something from them instead of the other way around?

This is really quite simple. No reason to try to twist words.

One level of candidate doesn't have much interest or knowledge about offensive systems. He feels that if he does a good job with the OL within the current system, he will be able to stay as long as he wants or to qualify for a lateral move in the future if he so chooses.

A higher level of candidate is very knowledgeable and interested in systems. He knows that a good system will allow him to raise the effectiveness of the OL much more quickly and to a higher level.
He knows that, in turn, will increase team success and visibility, thus enhancing his own growth and promotional opportunities.

He sees KF/BF, over an extended period of time, failing to make the changes necessary for the Iowa offense to escape the "underperforming" category. And he has serious doubts about their willingness to listen to suggestions for change.

Many of us have an innate facility or even an intuitive sense in a particular area, whether it be math, art, mechanics, investing,......or offensive football. Neither KF or BF have that in offensive football in the slightest way. Any objective observer can see that.

They started out really good but then their QB went down with an injury and then had tons of covid issues. Plus hat was only his second year there. Still building what he wants there. Seems weird to say he better get it going given he won 8 games his first year and they looked way better than expected before all the issues they faced.

OK not going to argue with you as you are more versed on the subject. The comment "he better get it going" was meant to emphasize the impatience of fan bases. I'll look forward to him being a thorn in the side of that savior up there in Ames.

Awww why not? Because he yelled at some people? Turn on Alabama/Clemson/Notre Dame from the last few years and you might see what some would call over the line yelling/treatment.

BF is young, got plenty of experience and would do the one thing everyone wants: remove him from the OC position. I think it would be a great hire and he would hire great people around him.
there is a difference between being a yeller and yelling at your players, That DL guy Kaz we had was a yeller and the players did not respond to him at all.
Saban and Izzo get on their guys butts pretty hard but the players respond to them.
I honestly do not know what makes the difference between the 2 types other than success, but when discussing BF and also SW we should try and think which side of this fence they fall on.
for my 2 cents worth, I am not sure BF is a good enough recruiter to be the head guy but imagine it would depend a lot on who he hires as OC and DC,,,

Why the f..k is there always a couple guys that hijack these threads & change the subject? We should start a separate thread entitled ??? where people can argue about isu, nebby, the weather or whatever you want

One level of candidate doesn't have much interest or knowledge about offensive systems. He feels that if he does a good job with the OL within the current system, he will be able to stay as long as he wants or to qualify for a lateral move in the future if he so chooses.

A higher level of candidate is very knowledgeable and interested in systems. He knows that a good system will allow him to raise the effectiveness of the OL much more quickly and to a higher level.
He knows that, in turn, will increase team success and visibility, thus enhancing his own growth and promotional opportunities.

He sees KF/BF, over an extended period of time, failing to make the changes necessary for the Iowa offense to escape the "underperforming" category. And he has serious doubts about their willingness to listen to suggestions for change.

Many of us have an innate facility or even an intuitive sense in a particular area, whether it be math, art, mechanics, investing,......or offensive football. Neither KF or BF have that in offensive football in the slightest way. Any objective observer can see that.

How are you not a football coach?

Agree and no insider here either. It does look to be trending towards being BFs job to loose. If he can continue to put a productive and entertaining offense on the field, I’m ok with that.
Thinking purely from a team Ferentz perspective, one way for them to maximize BFs future value as well as his income, would be to relieve B of TE coaching duties and promote him to the OL coach, as well as OC, and then hire a new TE coach.
Would definitely be a full plate for B but we all know KF will naturally be hovering around the OL during practice to basically co-coach and provide any assistance.
Plus at Iowa, the TE room is in many ways a subcommittee of the OL and would allow both K and BF the opportunity to keep close eye on their new hire while giving the new coach valuable first hand tutelage from a couple OL/TE coaching pros.
This scenario could also be a selling point for Iowa due to job stability as it would give BF the option to mold the new coach into the potential OL coach down the road.
The advantage budget wise is the TE dept most likely does not require as high of pay grade or as thick of resume as OL coach does.
Recruiting wise, to an up and coming coach, TPs territory could be less demanding because of proximity and it naturally produces a lot of gifted TE and OL. And while out recruiting, nothing wrong with striking a hot iron and do a little name dropping as Iowa has got some big shots at both those positions making significant noise in the NFL right now. Just a thought, we’ll see🤔

Not to side rail the thread, but if you have inside information on that, well done. I will never call anyone out for having an inside scoop. I like being on HR for some of the rumors, but this is contrary to what I believe will happen.
I used to think there was going to be a transition to Brian, but nit anymore, I think it will be someone else first, while BF goes somewhere first to cut his teeth before getting the big boy job.

Not sure cause at some point others use Kirk's age against him and if we have no transition plan or timeline with Kirk's offer to kids then maybe it starts to hurt us. If Kirk is telling kids he is for sure there for the duration of their career then we at least know he will be there 5 more years. If I was a kid getting an offer I would want to know what his plans were.

Reactions: Jonnymungo

Kirk has no ability with offensive linemen? GTFO.

Reactions: Frosty7130
there is a difference between being a yeller and yelling at your players, That DL guy Kaz we had was a yeller and the players did not respond to him at all.
Saban and Izzo get on their guys butts pretty hard but the players respond to them.
I honestly do not know what makes the difference between the 2 types other than success, but when discussing BF and also SW we should try and think which side of this fence they fall on.
for my 2 cents worth, I am not sure BF is a good enough recruiter to be the head guy but imagine it would depend a lot on who he hires as OC and DC,,,

Every style works because everybody has their own unique application. Whatever you are as a coach, be real. Don't pretend. Being yelled at by someone you respect will produce a much better result than a coach the players think is a jerk off yelling. If you're quiet you have to show your authority in small ways. Anyway you do it, you have to get a large number of entitled, testosterone erupting aggressive adolescent boys to men to respect what you say and do what you tell them to do. What ever the style the coach will only be successful if the respect relationship is on a two lane road. A coach that does not respect the players is in the wrong profession.

There's a point where sarcasm and rough language becomes personally abusive. That's where the player just learns to hate the coach.

Every style works because everybody has their own unique application. Whatever you are as a coach, be real. Don't pretend. Being yelled at by someone you respect will produce a much better result than a coach the players think is a jerk off yelling. If you're quiet you have to show your authority in small ways. Anyway you do it, you have to get a large number of entitled, testosterone erupting aggressive adolescent boys to men to respect what you say and do what you tell them to do. What ever the style the coach will only be successful if the respect relationship is on a two lane road. A coach that does not respect the players is in the wrong profession.

There's a point where sarcasm and rough language becomes personally abusive. That's where the player just learns to hate the coach.
you also have to know your players. some will respond to yelling, some respond to being (metaphorically) kicked, some respond to "play faster\intense" or words as they are a bit more cerebral.

being yelled at after a while is like hearing your wife nag - it becomes background noise and you miss most of it.

This being said, Doyle seemed to have the respect of most of his players since he got the most out of them. God I hated my drill sergeants during basic training, but I respected the hell out of them.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
This being said, Doyle seemed to have the respect of most of his players since he got the most out of them. God I hated my drill sergeants during basic training, but I respected the hell out of them.
DI's were a major PIA (1968 before VN) and would harass you to no end, but yes I did respect them.

IMO Doyle was disliked by a few because he was tough, but may have made a few inappropriate comments(?). I do not think he was a racist (arrogant yes) and was more like a DI. There are always going to be unhappy people in any organization that do not like other folks or own agenda. IMHO in today's culture it is has become the norm unfortunately to cancel people/organizations for less than stellar reasons.

I understand the mindset behind this, I really do.

But why beat around the bush?

IF BF is in line to be HC at Iowa (and he probably is), why waste time and possibly resources pretending otherwise? What is he going to learn as HC at a MAC school that he can't as OC at Iowa under Kirk?

Furthermore, if BF doesn't happen, guess who's in charge of hiring the next HC? Gary Barta. That terrifies me, much more than the prospect of "inexperienced" BF as HC.

Yep, but you will remember their names forever - I remember everyone of my BCT DI's not so much on my AIT DI's.

you also have to know your players. some will respond to yelling, some respond to being (metaphorically) kicked, some respond to "play faster\intense" or words as they are a bit more cerebral.

being yelled at after a while is like hearing your wife nag - it becomes background noise and you miss most of it.
Exactly. Works for some, not for all. Semi OT but often chuckle when when during Bball games and 😡RedFaceFran is exploding at the team during a TO and the players don’t really show any reaction or emotional response at all. They’re used to it

Reactions: obfuscating
I understand the mindset behind this, I really do.

But why beat around the bush?

IF BF is in line to be HC at Iowa (and he probably is), why waste time and possibly resources pretending otherwise? What is he going to learn as HC at a MAC school that he can't as OC at Iowa under Kirk?

Furthermore, if BF doesn't happen, guess who's in charge of hiring the next HC? Gary Barta. That terrifies me, much more than the prospect of "inexperienced" BF as HC.

For one we have no idea who the new U of I President will be, but safe to say they can't be more friendly to athletics than the current Prez has been. So if Barta is out who do you think is gonna get picked for AD? The new U Prez would be the main person determining that. Better be careful what kinds of things you wish for.

For one we have no idea who the new U of I President will be, but safe to say they can't be more friendly to athletics than the current Prez has been. So if Barta is out who do you think is gonna get picked for AD? The new U Prez would be the main person determining that. Better be careful what kinds of things you wish for.
I think you need to reread my post, as it's not a condemnation of either Brian or Kirk.

Also, the president will not have as much say as the AD. And no P5 university, let alone Iowa, is going to hire a president that isn't athletics friendly in this day and age.

I hated my drill sergeant too. I did not respect him but I certainly did fear him and I would have run through a brick wall if he had told me to. Thinking about it, I suppose there is a small difference between respect and fear. But I did not respect him. Maybe respect is not really necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT